Press conference 4/11 ( updated )

JamboSpur

17 minutes ago, sadj said:

jesus **** - you wanted rid of Levein he is gone he is helping with the youth set up only til next summer - (Ann Budges words - something most people said they actually think he is good at) give it a rest. If it was all about his pocket hed sit in his arse at home getting paid wouldnt he? 🙈

Thank God for this and the previous post. Sense amongst the hatred. 

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FruitJuice

• Selkirkhmfc1874

• RobNox

• soonbe110

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, FruitJuice said:

When it comes to levein and his motives, conspiracy theories dont come into it.  So what is he going to do while still at the club? He is a negative among the fans now and he should be shown the door completely after the mess he left us in.  Why not just take the monthly wage and stay at home? A lot of fans are rightly apprehensive with him still being at the club.  

A lot of fans are idiots then

Gavsy Van Gaverson
14 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

The main announcement from Ann was that Austin is a contender and will be given time to prove he can do the job. 

Sadly Ann isn’t ruthless enough to run a football club. 

she’s not going to say he has no chance while he is interim manager. He’ll not get the job.

3 minutes ago, Fat Striker said:

It’s fairly standard to act like an interim manager will be considered, as to dismiss his chances outright might undermine his authority whilst in charge.

For what it’s worth I don’t actually think he’s on the shortlist. 

Correct, when was the last time a chairman came out said the interim manager had no chance?  Ann is just being polite and prudent in refusing to rule out McPhee, besides which she is not daft enough not to realise how it will go down with the fans if he gets the job.

1 minute ago, Barack said:

Gazza? Hope that was a typo.

:rofl:

Giza??? Harness the power of the pyramids to get some energy in the team? 

28 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Back to the Ann Budge we knew and grew to like in that press conference. Actually smiling, she has something up her sleeve absolutely sure of it

Lets hope so. 

8 minutes ago, XB52 said:

A lot of fans are idiots then

Like the ones who were saying that levein wasn't a good manager? Tell me why they are idiots.  

Bridge of Djoum
21 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

The main announcement from Ann was that Austin is a contender and will be given time to prove he can do the job. 

Sadly Ann isn’t ruthless enough to run a football club. 

Like it or not he has to manage the team through the next few games. I'd rather he had a modicum of incentive rather than being told it's absolutely not his, or he's getting binned as soon as the new man comes in.

6 minutes ago, RobNox said:

Correct, when was the last time a chairman came out said the interim manager had no chance?  Ann is just being polite and prudent in refusing to rule out McPhee, besides which she is not daft enough not to realise how it will go down with the fans if he gets the job.

It would be funny if he was given the job with levein being kept on as janitor... 

I'd love to see this place if it did happen  

What an underwhelming press conference from Ann Budge with no informative questions asked.

She now wants a Sporting Director who in my opinion should be appointed by the new manager to 

take care of reporting to the board, overseeing the Academy, youths teams, kids & scouts.

The manager should only be accountable to the owner or chief executive no one else.

She stated it had been a mistake to appoint Levein manager and stay as Director of Football.

Well it took her long enough to come to that decision.

And why did not one person from the media ask if the new manager will be restricted to having keep Levein’s  Pals like McPhee, Daly 

& Fox ect.. I’m worried Ann hasn’t learned anything from the Cathro/Levein shambles.

AB’s press conference seemed, by all accounts, pretty thorough.

Key points being:

1.       Austin MacPhee, Jon Daly, Liam Fox or any of the other current coaching staff will not be given the managers role and I suspect will, in the near future, have no further role at the club – especially if the new manager brings his own team, which he probably will do.  Although the former is, in her words ‘definitely a contender’.  Whether she means that or not, I don’t know – if she does and if AM is the best we can appoint, then we, IMO, would be consigning ourselves to the relegation quagmire we are currently in for the remainder of this season.  Furthermore, appointing AM, who is clearly a very inexperienced first team manager (I appreciate his experience as an assistant manager) when he has been a key part of the 2 last failed management structures would be absolutely incredible.  It’s an appointment which I am sure AB will know, will not unite the beleaguered fans.  I don’t think this will happen fortunately and I think she was just showing tact in saying as much.  Wouldn’t do much for AM’s motivation if she were to publically dismiss him outright.

2.       We will look to appoint a ‘very experienced and high profile’ manager and the net ‘will be cast wide’ (Although I appreciate the term ‘very experienced and high profile manager’ is perhaps subjective, as others have already alluded to).  The only ‘very experienced and high profile’ manager in Scotland outwith the uglies is, IMO, Derek McInnes and I think he not too long ago, signed an extension at the sheep.  I suspect Stewart Milne would not entertain us nor do I suspect we could afford the compensation it would take to prize him away (albeit this is touched on in point 3).  Other ‘very experienced and high profile’ managers have repeatedly been mentioned, such as David Moyes.  He may perhaps fancy a new challenge, not for money, but to rebuild his recently battered reputation.  Other posters have mentioned the likes of Daniel Stendal – not someone I know much about, but by reports online, someone who sets his team up to play fast, attacking football.  That would be a nice change of pace I guess.  Michael O’Neill also mentioned by a few – but if reports from BBC when Scotland were trying to get him, regarding his wages are accurate – we have no chance of getting him (They stated he was on 600k a year!).  Also, because NI are still in the hunt in their Euro QF group, that pretty much rules him out.  

3.       The comment regarding the net being ‘cast wide’ is interesting and encouraging to hear.

4.       We are not constrained to current out of work managers – compensation will ‘not be a problem’.  Remains to be seen as to just how much compensation however.

5.       The DoF role is done like a kipper.  A new sporting director role is to be filled by an external applicant of good experience and this appointment is likely to take place before the new manager is in place.  Seems to be a role, popular at many clubs in GB, so not a big surprise AB will implement it here.  (I am not entirely sure of the difference between a DoF and a SD though!).

6.       The new manager may be able to strengthen the squad in January.  I don’t think too many will be disappointed to hear that.

7.       The new manager will be solely responsible for the first team and that alone – as opposed to the former set up whereby one man had his finger in about 10 different pies.  If that manager is indeed of a high calibre – this can only be positive.

8.       She said she was in no hurry to appoint a new manager.  While she probably means that – it doesn’t of course mean we will be waiting for as long as that comment perhaps suggests – especially if someone of the ‘very experienced and high profile’ variety throws his hat in the ring and ‘dazzles her and the board’, so to speak.  I doubt someone will come in prior to St Mirren this weekend but given the following international break, hopefully before the Kilmarnock match on 23.11.19. 🇱🇻

rudi must stay
4 minutes ago, RDSK said:

D8C88F82-EF87-4189-AA61-8054FC27600C.jpeg.8ad38390f611a5d882f120bd2e1c8ebe.jpeg

Whos he?

He thinks putting on a maroon jumper gives him credibility 

If only I didn't follow him on Twitter ..

Edited by rudi must stay

2 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

What an underwhelming press conference from Ann Budge with no informative questions asked.

She now wants a Sporting Director who in my opinion should be appointed by the new manager to 

take care of reporting to the board, overseeing the Academy, youths teams, kids & scouts.

The manager should only be accountable to the owner or chief executive no one else.

She stated it had been a mistake to appoint Levein manager and stay as Director of Football.

And why did not one person from the media ask if the new manager will be restricted to having keep Levein’s  Pals like McPhee, Daly 

& Fox ect.. I’m worried Ann hasn’t learned anything from the Cathro/Levein shambles.

He will be, she made it quite clear in her statement that the new manager will report to the CEO.

46 minutes ago, FruitJuice said:

Not really.  It's just a typical levein scenario.  Dundee United then us.  I wonder if he'll claim expenses for travelling from fife? I wouldn't put it past him.  He must now be one of the most tarnished names in our modern history.  All he has done is cost us a fortune and kept his mates in a job.  Over the last two and a half years while the team have been shite, he never even changed one coach to see if something different worked.  It wouldn't have been because they were all his mates from Dundee and fife?  He wouldn't do that..? 

Calm down ffs.

Carry on like this and you are going to get yourself sued.

1 minute ago, MattyK82 said:

Key points being:

1.       Austin MacPhee, Jon Daly, Liam Fox or any of the other current coaching staff will not be given the managers role and I suspect will, in the near future, have no further role at the club – especially if the new manager brings his own team, which he probably will do.  Although the former is, in her words ‘definitely a contender’.  Whether she means that or not, I don’t know – if she does and if AM is the best we can appoint, then we, IMO, would be consigning ourselves to the relegation quagmire we are currently in for the remainder of this season.  Furthermore, appointing AM, who is clearly a very inexperienced first team manager (I appreciate his experience as an assistant manager) when he has been a key part of the 2 last failed management structures would be absolutely incredible.  It’s an appointment which I am sure AB will know, will not unite the beleaguered fans.  I don’t think this will happen fortunately and I think she was just showing tact in saying as much.  Wouldn’t do much for AM’s motivation if she were to publically dismiss him outright.

2.       We will look to appoint a ‘very experienced and high profile’ manager and the net ‘will be cast wide’ (Although I appreciate the term ‘very experienced and high profile manager’ is perhaps subjective, as others have already alluded to).  The only ‘very experienced and high profile’ manager in Scotland outwith the uglies is, IMO, Derek McInnes and I think he not too long ago, signed an extension at the sheep.  I suspect Stewart Milne would not entertain us nor do I suspect we could afford the compensation it would take to prize him away (albeit this is touched on in point 3).  Other ‘very experienced and high profile’ managers have repeatedly been mentioned, such as David Moyes.  He may perhaps fancy a new challenge, not for money, but to rebuild his recently battered reputation.  Other posters have mentioned the likes of Daniel Stendal – not someone I know much about, but by reports online, someone who sets his team up to play fast, attacking football.  That would be a nice change of pace I guess.  Michael O’Neill also mentioned by a few – but if reports from BBC when Scotland were trying to get him, regarding his wages are accurate – we have no chance of getting him (They stated he was on 600k a year!).  Also, because NI are still in the hunt in their Euro QF group, that pretty much rules him out.  

3.       The comment regarding the net being ‘cast wide’ is interesting and encouraging to hear.

4.       We are not constrained to current out of work managers – compensation will ‘not be a problem’.  Remains to be seen as to just how much compensation however.

5.       The DoF role is done like a kipper.  A new sporting director role is to be filled by an external applicant of good experience and this appointment is likely to take place before the new manager is in place.  Seems to be a role, popular at many clubs in GB, so not a big surprise AB will implement it here.  (I am not entirely sure of the difference between a DoF and a SD though!).

6.       The new manager may be able to strengthen the squad in January.  I don’t think too many will be disappointed to hear that.

7.       The new manager will be solely responsible for the first team and that alone – as opposed to the former set up whereby one man had his finger in about 10 different pies.  If that manager is indeed of a high calibre – this can only be positive.

8.       She said she was in no hurry to appoint a new manager.  While she probably means that – it doesn’t of course mean we will be waiting for as long as that comment perhaps suggests – especially if someone of the ‘very experienced and high profile’ variety throws his hat in the ring and ‘dazzles her and the board’, so to speak.  I doubt someone will come in prior to St Mirren this weekend but given the following international break, hopefully before the Kilmarnock match on 23.11.19. 🇱🇻

Fantastic stuff. Ann’s winning me back.

Thanks for posting. 👍🏼

Italian Lambretta
2 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Whos he?

If only I didn't follow him on Twitter ..

If he had went that extra yard and wore a maroon cardigan he would have more credibility

Bazzas right boot
48 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Maybe he's thinking of me, people seem to get us confused and I'm smug as ****.

😂😂😂

7 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Underwhelmed by a press conference that was never going to be anything more than an update.  Life is a roller coaster, eh?

3 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Whos he?

When was the last time wearing a maroon top equated to credibility?

1 minute ago, luckydug said:

Calm down ffs.

Carry on like this and you are going to get yourself sued.

For accusing him of nepotism? Why else would he have kept those coaches on?  He didn't change one coach over the last two and a half years of shite.  I think it was down to nepotism.   

Horatio Caine

Watching that press conference - Brian McLaughlin strikes me as a right sweetie wife.  Don't ask me why - he just does.

rudi must stay
2 minutes ago, Horatio Caine said:

Watching that press conference - Brian McLaughlin strikes me as a right sweetie wife.  Don't ask me why - he just does.

Strikes me as a crafty journalist. 

3 minutes ago, Horatio Caine said:

1 minute ago, rudi must stay said:

Strikes me as a crafty journalist. 

Hearts fan isn’t he?

The thread title is hardly prophetic,  the press conference covered recruitment of a manager not held to announce his appointment.

It was discussed elsewhere. The Hearts job is a good one.

For one thing we are stable off the park. Finances are steady and hopefully improving. 

It's an opportunity to build on what we have with room for improvement. 

Gimme an H...

What's the difference between a Sporting Director and a Director of Football?

Listening to Ann I've taken it as they are two different roles ie "I don't think we need a DoF anymore" but says she still wants to hire a Sporting Director.

What's the difference, anyone know?

2 minutes ago, Gimme an H... said:

Listening to Ann I've taken it as they are two different roles ie "I don't think we need a DoF anymore" but says she still wants to hire a Sporting Director.

Just I think that this is being sold as separate roles as opposed to manager being accountable to the DoF. 

6 hours ago, jambogaza said:

I think we do need our new manager in quicker than planned. We are struggling and need a lift very quickly. 

Whilst I kind of agree, I also feel that getting a new coaching team in that quickly could also backfire on us. It would be a bit foolish to appoint someone within days and then find out it was the wrong move and someone more suitable is suddenly free a few weeks down the line. We should bin what we have right now and give Gary Locke and Gary Naysmith temporary control for two or three weeks so she has time to process her way through the (apparently) hundreds of applicants that've already thrown their names in the hat. Rushing in too quickly could yet be another mistake as the new manager, whoever he'd be would need to go through the whole squad with a fine toothcomb and sort out the wheat from the chaff. The two Gary's already know the squad and would know players' strengths and weaknesses, who's worth keeping, who's not worth a sook and needs to leave. I wish we knew what names have applied for the job to give us an idea of who's interested.

Edited by jambonian

Forever Hearts
18 minutes ago, RobNox said:

Neither Scholes or Davids are good examples, because neither of them had any managerial experience.  You could add Sol Campbell to that list, who took on the Macclesfield job when they were bottom of L2 and is now at Southend who are 2nd bottom of L1.  Clearly, some high profile ex-players are willing to take on lowly jobs to get them onto the managerial rung.

We're supposed to be looking for an experienced manager though, and I'd be wary of appointing a high profile ex-player who has no managerial experience.

I certainly don't see someone who is already in a better paid job (e.g. O'Neill) suddenly accepting a pay cut to come to Hearts.  The argument maybe holds better for someone who is out of a job and wants back in - Moyes and Keane for example, but I still can't see us attracting either of them (although I'd be happy if Moyes ends up here).

Not sure what part you are struggling with. I used those guys as examples of ex players who are very wealthy but have taken a big step down to get into management. 

1 minute ago, Gimme an H... said:

The main difference as far as I can see is that the DOF oversaw the whole footballing operation, with a first team Head Coach reporting to the DoF.  Now the first team manager will report directly to the CEO, and the SD will look after the rest of the footballing operation, also reporting to the CEO.

To me it seems like going back to the original model, but removing the reporting line from manager to DOF, and re-badging the DOF role to SD.  That hopefully stops all the insinuations about the DOF picking the team or interfering otherwise in first team affairs.

Thought today was good and well measured. I totally agree that she gave a full round of fixtures, as on paper we should be much stronger and if things clicked and we got on a roll, then it would have been justified.

I like the fact we won't make a snap appointment. 

I like the net being cast wide and a desire for an experienced manager and a new footballing set up.

Not ruling out Austin is good man management. Why tell him he has no chance and have his mind elsewhere while he looks for his next gig while managing the team. And if he wins every game and instils a new and exciting style of football, then great. No, I highly doubt this will happen. But it's pretty obviously sound man management.

I really don't like the crappy remarks about Ann not being ruthless enough or competent to run the club. But then people have some serious agendas and like to be armchair critics.

Objectively and strategically we as a club are in a goo d place. In the short term, on the park, this season and last has been below par and didn't need to be.  Yes, a big mistake in placing so much faith in Levin. But compared to how many clubs are run and how many people who run clubs are, I am very happy compared to where we have been recently.

Anyway. Onwards and upwards. We are probably in for a few tough more weeks but I'm optimistic about a nice surprise when it comes to appointing the new manager.

Ann is no fool and knows the fans are not inside just now. And she knows we need to be.

Francis Albert
2 hours ago, davemclaren said:

No. Sporting director will have no involvement or oversight in/of first team matters was what was said on Thursday. 

I was responding to the suggestion the sporting director would be appointed first and have some say in who is appointed as manager. That doesn't seem entirely consistent with the sporting director having no involvement or oversight in/of first team matters.

If we are as claimed appointing an experienced high profile manager then I 'd rather the order was reversed and the manager had some say in the lesser and certainly far less urgent question of the appointment of the sporting director. 

(Incidentally if we are to appoint an experienced high profile manager McPhee would surely understand that rules him out so need for Ann to say he will be considered. As for the impact on his morale … he will have every incentive to do his best in the interim role assuming he wants a job when he leaves Hearts . Soon I hope)

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
6 minutes ago, Gimme an H... said:

I think the distinction might be specific to how we had done it. Levein probably did more than a SD would do. SD shouldn't be appointing other coaches and shouldn't be directly involved in coaching style, playing style, and academy drills etc.  The SD should have a vision for the club (type of players to buy, when to sell and so on). He should also have a say in who the manager is (in that he fits with and can work within the vision for the club) but not appoint him directly.

Gimme an H...
4 minutes ago, RobNox said:

The main difference as far as I can see is that the DOF oversaw the whole footballing operation, with a first team Head Coach reporting to the DoF.  Now the first team manager will report directly to the CEO, and the SD will look after the rest of the footballing operation, also reporting to the CEO.

To me it seems like going back to the original model, but removing the reporting line from manager to DOF, and re-badging the DOF role to SD.  That hopefully stops all the insinuations about the DOF picking the team or interfering otherwise in first team affairs.

7 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Just I think that this is being sold as separate roles as opposed to manager being accountable to the DoF. 

I see. Makes sense. 

Happy with this change.

2 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

Not sure what part you are struggling with. I used those guys as examples of ex players who are very wealthy but have taken a big step down to get into management. 

I get that, but I don't want us gambling on an ex-player with no managerial experience just because they tick the 'high-profile' box.

9 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I was responding to the suggestion the sporting director would be appointed first and have some say in who is appointed as manager. That doesn't seem entirely consistent with the sporting director having no involvement or oversight in/of first team matters.

If we are as claimed appointing an experienced high profile manager then I 'd rather the order was reversed and the manager had some say in the lesser and certainly far less urgent question of the appointment of the sporting director. 

(Incidentally if we are to appoint an experienced high profile manager McPhee would surely understand that rules him out so need for Ann to say he will be considered. As for the impact on his morale … he will have every incentive to do his best in the interim role assuming he wants a job when he leaves Hearts . Soon I hope)

She didn't say the SD would definitely be appointed first, although I think that's probably her preference, and certainly didn't say the SD would have any say in the appointment of the Manager.  What she did say was that the two appointments went hand in hand and any new manager needs to know that there will be a SD, possibly in placed or to be appointed.

56 minutes ago, MattyK82 said:

Key points being:

Thanks for posting this. I have to make a couple of points though relating to the bits I have highlighted.

He would need to sign some fast players to allow our current crop to do this.

Not sure this is a good idea as you could have all the other teams playing a totally different style of football to the first team.

41 minutes ago, Gimme an H... said:

DoF is responsible for all things football. Sporting Director usually resp for most things other than first team. Mostly an admin/strategic type of role

7 hours ago, JamboSpur said:

Hearing through the grapevine.

Robinson odds slashed 4/7

Announcement made - Heckingbottom sacked

1 hour ago, FruitJuice said:

For accusing him of nepotism? Why else would he have kept those coaches on?  He didn't change one coach over the last two and a half years of shite.  I think it was down to nepotism.   

Relax ! He's probably just been asked to tidy up loose ends of non first team business.

To answer your nepotism accusations though managers often work with people they know and trust from previous jobs.

CL had Peter Houston as his assistant at Hearts and Dundee Utd and that worked out well with CL getting the Scotland job on the strength of his good work with United. This worked out well with PH taking United to Scottish Cup glory, which was very much Levein's team.

Just because things have gone wrong at Hearts there is no need to be so nasty and personal. 

Folk think they can say things on social media that they wouldn't dare say to a person's face.

Francis Albert
51 minutes ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

I think the distinction might be specific to how we had done it. Levein probably did more than a SD would do. SD shouldn't be appointing other coaches and shouldn't be directly involved in coaching style, playing style, and academy drills etc.  The SD should have a vision for the club (type of players to buy, when to sell and so on). He should also have a say in who the manager is (in that he fits with and can work within the vision for the club) but not appoint him directly.

Surely the manager has to decide who to buy and sell. A key part of his job.