Press conference 4/11 ( updated )

JamboSpur

Forever Hearts
36 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

No, Benitez isn’t the Newcastle manager ...

Some folk just have a grasp on reality ...

Was Edgar Davids at Barnet for the money? Peter Grant at Alloa? Wayne Rooney at Derby? Paul Scholes at Bury?

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FruitJuice

• Selkirkhmfc1874

• RobNox

• soonbe110

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

How good a view would managers in the Championship, League 1 and 2 actually have of his season or are they just going by the media hype that was substantial iirc. 

I’d say a lot  better view than yours tbh.

5 hours ago, JamboSpur said:

Hearing through the grapevine.

Robinson odds slashed 4/7

FFS yesterday was bad enough now that wee pr*ck getting brought up. 😝😝😝😝

1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

He has had five years to help determine where the club are going and we are nearly bottom of the league.  Why would he suggest a change in direction now?  Love or money is blind?  If he is still here and McPhee gets the sporting director role, you can guarantee fans are going to question if he was involved.  If McPhee has great ideas, why haven't they been put into action by now?  Its difficult not to remain cynical while levein is still at the club.  

5 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

This is just nonsense. He is in £700k pa max if makes all his bonus targets. Widely reported in media. Scotland offered him £350k plus bonuses which are unlikely to ever be received. 

This was reported at the time. (Even the compensation is enough to ensure we'll be going nowhere near O'Neil)

The chief executive had to fight, and win, a few battles in order to get to the point whereby his board would agree to pay £500,000 in compensation to release O'Neill from his contract and about £600,000 in salary. On top of that there were other incentives in the event of Scotland qualifying for a major championship.

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, FruitJuice said:

He has had five years to help determine where the club are going and we are nearly bottom of the league.  Why would he suggest a change in direction now?  Love or money is blind?  If he is still here and McPhee gets the sporting director role, you can guarantee fans are going to question if he was involved.  If McPhee has great ideas, why haven't they been put into action by now?  Its difficult not to remain cynical while levein is still at the club.  

Levein’s name is still boiling my piss.

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

FFS yesterday was bad enough now that wee pr*ck getting brought up. 😝😝😝😝

Robinson is just as bad😉

Just now, The Real Maroonblood said:

Levein’s name is still boiling my piss.

It'll be difficult to relax until he is gone completely.  We owe him nothing for what he has done.  

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, FruitJuice said:

It'll be difficult to relax until he is gone completely.  We owe him nothing for what he has done.  

Exactly.

An absolute leech.

Robinson was the hottest shit going on here until he's actually linked with us. Now he's some joke figure. Weird. 

6 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

This was reported at the time. (Even the compensation is enough to ensure we'll be going nowhere near O'Neil)

The chief executive had to fight, and win, a few battles in order to get to the point whereby his board would agree to pay £500,000 in compensation to release O'Neill from his contract and about £600,000 in salary. On top of that there were other incentives in the event of Scotland qualifying for a major championship.

Just take a look at the Belfast Telegraph article earlier in this thread. It’s also reinforced by recent articles in Scotsman and Guardian where O’Neill himself said co compensation clause in contract and he is free to talk to clubs. Both sides trust each other with clear break points every two years. Next break point coming up next summer or earlier. 

Edited by soonbe110

1 minute ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Robinson was the hottest shit going on here until he's actually linked with us. Now he's some joke figure. Weird. 

Pure seethe on the Robinson rumour this place is mental sometimes. 

Just now, soonbe110 said:

Just take a look at the Belfast Telegraph article earlier in this thread. It’s also reinforced by recent articles in Scotsman and Guardian 

Fair enough, however even if he's on £700K and there's compensation involved we simply can't afford him. Which was the original point?

Also, just how would NI's fortunes translate to a league club? he might well be an absolutely bargain at whatever price, he might leave us right in the shite. All new managers will be a gamble I just think O'Neil is too big a gamble. If he wants club management, he'll rightly wait until he's finished with NI and see what offers are there, I suspect he will not be short of them. Aside from him living in Edinburgh I don't see what the major draw would be for him right now.

2 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Exactly.

An absolute leech.

I don't know why we cant just pay him off.  If it's down money and we have to pay him monthly, why does he need to come into the club.  Something doesn't feel right about this.  Why the desperation not to get rid off him? The direction of the club after the cathro+ mess that he has left.  Him still being at the clubs isn't right and feels wrong  theres something In it but I don't think we'll ever know.  Is the reason we ate keeping him on because what it would unravel if we did.  The biggest leech in our history.  But we all just hate him for the sake if it.  I bet he still has an office at the club.  No other club sacks a manager for being shite and finds excuses to keep him on.  It's all about his pocket.  Swine! Na  the losing swine.  

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, FruitJuice said:

I don't know why we cant just pay him off.  If it's down money and we have to pay him monthly, why does he need to come into the club.  Something doesn't feel right about this.  Why the desperation not to get rid off him? The direction of the club after the cathro+ mess that he has left.  Him still being at the clubs isn't right and feels wrong  theres something In it but I don't think we'll ever know.  Is the reason we ate keeping him on because what it would unravel if we did.  The biggest leech in our history.  But we all just hate him for the sake if it.  I bet he still has an office at the club.  No other club sacks a manager for being shite and finds excuses to keep him on.  It's all about his pocket.  Swine! Na  the losing swine.  

It’s a strange scenario.

20 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

Was Edgar Davids at Barnet for the money? Peter Grant at Alloa? Wayne Rooney at Derby? Paul Scholes at Bury?

Davids and Scholes? Great examples! Exactly what we need. Rooney will still be on a very good wage Derby. I suspect his main motivation was to be back in the UK.

Edited by Mr Elwood P

33 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Martin O'Neill? 

I don’t think he would manage against his beloved Celtic tbh.  

It opens the door to a Coyle, Keane, Bothroyd, Davies type, I think. Even Steven McLaren. 

Michael O’Neil is pie in the sky.  When he decides to go back into club management (having worked wonders at Shamrock Rovers before Northern Ireland) it will be to the upper echelons of the English Championship.  

Hearts is a great job for someone but O’Neil’s stock is far too high at the moment. 

1 hour ago, Armageddon said:

I'd hate to be Michael O'Neill, his salary jumps from £600k down to £500k up to £1.2M in the space of 30 minutes!!

Six year contract worth 1.2 million over six years more like it. 

In other words 200k a year.

Forever Hearts
3 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Davids and Scholes? Great examples! Exactly what we need. Rooney will still be on a very good wage Derby. I suspect his main motivation was to be back in the UK.

It blows the "high profile names won't manage smaller clubs" theory right out of the water. 

Just now, The Real Maroonblood said:

It’s a strange scenario.

Not really.  It's just a typical levein scenario.  Dundee United then us.  I wonder if he'll claim expenses for travelling from fife? I wouldn't put it past him.  He must now be one of the most tarnished names in our modern history.  All he has done is cost us a fortune and kept his mates in a job.  Over the last two and a half years while the team have been shite, he never even changed one coach to see if something different worked.  It wouldn't have been because they were all his mates from Dundee and fife?  He wouldn't do that..? 

44 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Smug? 

I'm many things, but smug is a new one. 

I'm not correct enough to be smug tbh. 

Maybe he's thinking of me, people seem to get us confused and I'm smug as ****.

2 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

It blows the "high profile names won't manage smaller clubs" theory right out of the water. 

They’re high profile players names. They were / are nothing names as managers. Completely different. 

16 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Can you back this up? I cant remember a lot of posters advocating Robinson.  I think you've just posted that for the sake of it.  Name five posters who were wanting Robinson before levein was sacked.  I say sacked but she didn't have the guts to do that.  

10 minutes ago, FruitJuice said:

What a lot of pish , you want your cake and eat it , he’s a leech if he stays he’s a leech if he goes , maybe he doesn’t feel right about taking a pay off without giving something back . He’s trusted by the club and on an interim basis keeps the lines of communication internally and externally , football is a small world . It’s already been stated he’s not involved with first team matters or recruiting a new manager , everyone was over the moon when he wine and dined the likes of Naismith and got him to hearts . Maybe he will be the one to endorse the club to the new guy , leveins out the picture no need making up conspiracy theories 

rudi must stay

Back to the Ann Budge we knew and grew to like in that press conference. Actually smiling, she has something up her sleeve absolutely sure of it

15 minutes ago, FruitJuice said:

jesus **** - you wanted rid of Levein he is gone he is helping with the youth set up only til next summer - (Ann Budges words - something most people said they actually think he is good at) give it a rest. If it was all about his pocket hed sit in his arse at home getting paid wouldnt he? 🙈

31 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

Was Scholes at Bury? I remember him taking over at Oldham for half a dozen games before he realised what a cluster**** it was, but he's always been an Oldham man.

6 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Maybe he's thinking of me, people seem to get us confused and I'm smug as ****.

Your avatar doesn't exactly help Smithee!!

9 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

Maybe high profile players who have never managed and are desperate for a chance will then.  Henrick Larsson? Gazza? 

5 minutes ago, FruitJuice said:

Can you back this up? I cant remember a lot of posters advocating Robinson.  I think you've just posted that for the sake of it.  Name five posters who were wanting Robinson before levein was sacked.  I say sacked but she didn't have the guts to do that.  

lots of posters shouted very loudly to get Wright in then after Wright , Robinson became their next big thing going on about his youth development skills (lot of pish - he was forced to play yourhs due to injuries and no other options and it has paid off) , to say he has them playing free flowing football at the moment is fair enough but his style when he came in and until Christmas last year was no different to Levein or McInnes

1 minute ago, qferryjam said:

What a lot of pish , you want your cake and eat it , he’s a leech if he stays he’s a leech if he goes , maybe he doesn’t feel right about taking a pay off without giving something back . He’s trusted by the club and on an interim basis keeps the lines of communication internally and externally , football is a small world . It’s already been stated he’s not involved with first team matters or recruiting a new manager , everyone was over the moon when he wine and dined the likes of Naismith and got him to hearts . Maybe he will be the one to endorse the club to the new guy , leveins out the picture no need making up conspiracy theories 

When it comes to levein and his motives, conspiracy theories dont come into it.  So what is he going to do while still at the club? He is a negative among the fans now and he should be shown the door completely after the mess he left us in.  Why not just take the monthly wage and stay at home? A lot of fans are rightly apprehensive with him still being at the club.  

35 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

Fair points (although Scholes was Oldham, the team he supports), but these are very much the exception and usually happen when a manager takes on their first job.

I suppose the equivalent could be us appointing someone like Henrik Larsson.

The main announcement from Ann was that Austin is a contender and will be given time to prove he can do the job. 

Sadly Ann isn’t ruthless enough to run a football club. 

3 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

The main announcement from Ann was that Austin is a contender and will be given time to prove he can do the job. 

That wasn’t the main announcement at all.

2 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Fair points (although Scholes was Oldham, the team he supports), but these are very much the exception and usually happen when a manager takes on their first job.

I suppose the equivalent could be us appointing someone like Henrik Larsson.

Neither Scholes or Davids are good examples, because neither of them had any managerial experience.  You could add Sol Campbell to that list, who took on the Macclesfield job when they were bottom of L2 and is now at Southend who are 2nd bottom of L1.  Clearly, some high profile ex-players are willing to take on lowly jobs to get them onto the managerial rung.

We're supposed to be looking for an experienced manager though, and I'd be wary of appointing a high profile ex-player who has no managerial experience.

I certainly don't see someone who is already in a better paid job (e.g. O'Neill) suddenly accepting a pay cut to come to Hearts.  The argument maybe holds better for someone who is out of a job and wants back in - Moyes and Keane for example, but I still can't see us attracting either of them (although I'd be happy if Moyes ends up here).

30 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Fair enough, however even if he's on £700K and there's compensation involved we simply can't afford him. Which was the original point?

Also, just how would NI's fortunes translate to a league club? he might well be an absolutely bargain at whatever price, he might leave us right in the shite. All new managers will be a gamble I just think O'Neil is too big a gamble. If he wants club management, he'll rightly wait until he's finished with NI and see what offers are there, I suspect he will not be short of them. Aside from him living in Edinburgh I don't see what the major draw would be for him right now.

Articles suggest no comp clause in current contract. Wait and see 

10 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Maybe high profile players who have never managed and are desperate for a chance will then.  Henrick Larsson? Gazza? 

Gazza, jesus christ. 

We have enough problems without a guy who would take the squad fishing with a big carry out and think it's a training session. 😉

15 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Back to the Ann Budge we knew and grew to like in that press conference. Actually smiling, she has something up her sleeve absolutely sure of it

A snotty hanky probably. 😋

20 minutes ago, FruitJuice said:

Lots of them led by Enzo. You do the checking on previous threads particularly the Leveins time is up thread. 

5 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

That wasn't the main announcement.

14 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Larsson?  Fair enough.

Gascoigne?  :rofl:

7 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

It’s fairly standard to act like an interim manager will be considered, as to dismiss his chances outright might undermine his authority whilst in charge.

For what it’s worth I don’t actually think he’s on the shortlist.