Press conference 4/11 ( updated )

JamboSpur

5 minutes ago, RobNox said:

How many of our first team squad came through the Box Football system at Hearts?  Here's a clue, it's less than 1.  We only introduced it for kids a couple of seasons ago, we won't see whether it bears fruit or not for a while yet.

That's why only a fool would blame it for our current predicament.

I'm not saying it is. What other clubs use it?  I'm sure we have been using it for more than a couple of seasons. 

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FruitJuice

• Selkirkhmfc1874

• RobNox

• soonbe110

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't mind Mcphee. He's like a wee pal you always have around who keeps your spirits up. Knows everyone and everyone likes him. But for gawd sake i don't mind if he stays on in some role but be it as far away from coaching as possible. Its him and the other numptys who have been coaching these gutless wonders Monday to Thursday that's been part of the problem. 

2 minutes ago, FruitJuice said:

I'm not saying it is. What other clubs use it?  I'm sure we have been using it for more than a couple of seasons. 

We signed an exclusivity deal with Box Soccer, so I doubt any other clubs are using it, although I don't know how long the exclusivity deal lasts.  I think we actually first started working with it around 2015, so 4 years now, but we still won't see the first fruits for another few years.

There's an interesting article with John Colquhoun at the link below, which mainly just had me reminiscing about my childhood days of kicking a ball about the streets all hours of the day

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/sport/football/john-colquhoun-how-box-soccer-16008791

6 minutes ago, RobNox said:

We signed an exclusivity deal with Box Soccer, so I doubt any other clubs are using it, although I don't know how long the exclusivity deal lasts.  I think we actually first started working with it around 2015, so 4 years now, but we still won't see the first fruits for another few years.

There's an interesting article with John Colquhoun at the link below, which mainly just had me reminiscing about my childhood days of kicking a ball about the streets all hours of the day

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/sport/football/john-colquhoun-how-box-soccer-16008791

Thanks for the info  it does seem strange that a company would sign a deal that limits its growth with other clubs.  I also cant understand why we signed a deal to use it before we had seen it produce the goods.  Signing an exclusivity deal for somethin that hasn't been tested at our lever seems strange.  I heard Preston the other day saying we should scrap it   Was it not originally owned by cathro?  

57 minutes ago, Wee man said:

Robinson for me ; had to build a new team every year on a shoestring budget, brought young players through, attacking football, enthusiastic and speaks well.

He only really started playing attacking football recently I’m not sure it’s his default style even with that his finishing position has been bottom 6, did he have a harder job than Clarke at Killie or the now sacked Heckingbottom? Motherwell are the biggest club he’s managed. Could he take the current team/squad and get them winning quickly and take the pressure that will come with that expectation? Will he unite the support or at least 90% of it. And he really needs to do something about that wee bit spit on his bottom lip when he does interviews, gets on my nerves!

I’m not convinced he’s even in the running, he’s going to cost a fair bit of cash between salary, salaries for his backroom staff and compensation. It’s a lot of money for a manager how has never finished in the top 6

Edited by Rudy T

Francis Albert
34 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Agreed. He speaks confidently so I suspect he knows there is a role for him at Hearts though not manager. 

Why? In all his time at Hearts what evidence is there of his achievements? Better set up? Ability to.suss out and counteract the opposition? Better exploitation of dead ball situations? Improvement of academy graduates? Come on .. there must be something I am missing.

1 minute ago, FruitJuice said:

Thanks for the info  it does seem strange that a company would sign a deal that limits its growth with other clubs.  I also cant understand why we signed a deal to use it before we had seen it produce the goods.  Signing an exclusivity deal for something that hasn't been tested at our lever seems strange.  I heard Preston the other day saying we should scrap it   Was it not originally owned by cathro?  

It was Cathro who introduced it originally under his Cathro School banner.  JC bought the rights and rebranded it as Box Soccer and it has been developed over the years.  The Cathro school did produce John Souttar and Ryan Gauld, so not too shabby (also Craig Wighton!).

Story goes this is what led to Levein appointing Cathro to the Dundee United Academy, as the United coaches were seeing that the lads coming in from Cathro's school were way ahead of others of the same age in terms of technical ability.  Unfortunately, Levein confused Cathro's coaching ability with management ability, and the rest is history!

1 hour ago, droid said:

I think it’s been apparent for some time that McPhee is being trained up to do some kind of job at Hearts. Listening to Budge’s interview today it feels like that position is ‘Sporting Director’.

I didn’t get that from the interview. I also don’t see what qualifications he has to be a sporting director? His strength seems to be his analysis of the opposition and knowing players. He’s clearly respected in the game but I honestly don’t know what for.

1 hour ago, Wee man said:

Robinson for me ; had to build a new team every year on a shoestring budget, brought young players through, attacking football, enthusiastic and speaks well.

Accused Hearts fans wrongly of being racists and has yet to apologise. 

I can't  see how he's going to unite our divided fan base.😕

The_razors_edge
13 minutes ago, RobNox said:

It was Cathro who introduced it originally under his Cathro School banner.  JC bought the rights and rebranded it as Box Soccer and it has been developed over the years.  The Cathro school did produce John Souttar and Ryan Gauld, so not too shabby (also Craig Wighton!).

Story goes this is what led to Levein appointing Cathro to the Dundee United Academy, as the United coaches were seeing that the lads coming in from Cathro's school were way ahead of others of the same age in terms of technical ability.  Unfortunately, Levein confused Cathro's coaching ability with management ability, and the rest is history!

This is pretty much spot on - apart from the rebrand bit. As a student in Dundee at the time I was delivering its content in DUFC’s academy back in 2010 working under Cathro. It was called box soccer back then under the banner Innovate FC (Cathro used his own initials to create the name - Ian Francis Cathro). Prior to his appointment at DUFC Cathro had ‘Cathro’s clinic’ and as you correctly point out the players who were part of his clinic were being snapped up by United and were significantly more technically proficient than the kids who hadn’t attended ‘Cathro’s clinic’. It was at this point Levein appointed Cathro to oversee the clubs Junior Academy (8-14 year olds). From there Cathro was fast tracked through his SFA coaching badges. It was on one of his licences he met Nuno. And as you say, the rest is history!

28 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Why? In all his time at Hearts what evidence is there of his achievements? Better set up? Ability to.suss out and counteract the opposition? Better exploitation of dead ball situations? Improvement of academy graduates? Come on .. there must be something I am missing.

No idea. Just a feeling I get from watching his interviews. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

You just tell him we are appointing an experienced manager with a high profile? And assume he is stupid enough to think he is in the running. I mean I suppose it is just possible he is stupider than he looks.

Technically he is experienced and he has a high profile.

If he aces the next few games in charge he has a shout.

Unlikely but no point in having everyone know they are playing for somebody with no future at the club for definite - you want things to completely crash and burn the next few weeks?

37 minutes ago, RobNox said:

Brilliant summary.  I'm still not sure if it will bring us much success in developing players.  If it's only produced two who have made it, maybe he got lucky.  This obviously isnt a dig at you.  It seems strange that a company like this would sign an exclusivity deal that could restrict its growth.  Preston isnt a fan if it but maybe its something between him and JC.  With JC and levein being good mates it's easy to see why some would see it as the old pals act.  Was JC not an agent that levein like to deal with a lot?  

Two players in nearly a decade isn't a great return  

5 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Technically he is experienced and he has a high profile.

If he aces the next few games in charge he has a shout.

Unlikely but no point in having everyone know they are playing for somebody with no future at the club for definite - you want things to completely crash and burn the next few weeks?

He's not an experienced first team manager and she wouldn't say that and then appoint McPhee.   He hasn't got a high profile.

1 hour ago, Wee man said:

Yes the guys done really well , hes within hearts budget and hes got the potential to go further with a bigger club, worth taking the chance on ......

1 hour ago, kimosavi said:

I don't mind Mcphee. He's like a wee pal you always have around who keeps your spirits up. Knows everyone and everyone likes him. But for gawd sake i don't mind if he stays on in some role but be it as far away from coaching as possible. Its him and the other numptys who have been coaching these gutless wonders Monday to Thursday that's been part of the problem. 

I think this is why we're having a manager and a Sporting Director.

Allegedly CL didn't appear on the training ground until Thursday which possibly had much to do with his other duties as DoF.  The role almost killed him trying to be be several places at the same time and still obliged to watch other teams and new targets.

From now I'd assume that the manager will be in training every day with non 1st team duties being taken over by the SD.  There will be no doubt who is responsible for the good/bad results

50 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

I didn’t get that from the interview. I also don’t see what qualifications he has to be a sporting director? His strength seems to be his analysis of the opposition and knowing players. He’s clearly respected in the game but I honestly don’t know what for.

We can only judge him for what he brings to the first team and I've seen nothing to see why he is so respected.  

Coburg Hearts
6 hours ago, Des Lynam said:

The main announcement from Ann was that Austin is a contender and will be given time to prove he can do the job. 

Sadly Ann isn’t ruthless enough to run a football club. 

Do you want Ann to say, whilst he is still interim manager, that he is useless, that he has no chance of the job? I mean, really?

He has as much chance of getting the job as the windae cleaner, but she's not going to say that.

Edited by Coburg Hearts

Coburg Hearts
6 hours ago, XB52 said:

Thank God for this and the previous post. Sense amongst the hatred. 

I was going to say basically the same. There's a lot of angst about.

Francis Albert
5 minutes ago, Coburg Hearts said:

Do you want Ann to say, whilst he is still interim manager, that he is useless, that he has no chance of the job? I mean, really?

He has as much chance of getting the job as the windae cleaner, but she's not going to say that.

She has already said we are going for an experienced  manager with a high profile. What part of that could   the  hippy  squat dweller fail to

understand?

22 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Allegedly CL didn't appear on the training ground until Thursday which possibly had much to do with his other duties as DoF.  The role almost killed him trying to be be several places at the same time and still obliged to watch other teams and new targets.

From now I'd assume that the manager will be in training every day with non 1st team duties being taken over by the SD.  There will be no doubt who is responsible for the good/bad results

Hang on.....

Craig Leveins heart attack last year had absolutely nothing to do with his role at the club.

You've just made an assumption as got it spectacularly wrong.

Ann Budge needs to make sure McPhee & co exit the Hearts. We need a manager that follows what Michael Smith has said. Sign players who have a pair. Players who look for the forward pass, who make the right runs, who can pass, compete and make and take chances. We have too many weak individuals like Clare, Wighton, MacLean, White, Bozanic ect. Players like these have not and will never will cut it at Hearts.

Edited by mitch41

2 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Hang on.....

Craig Leveins heart attack last year had absolutely nothing to do with his role at the club.

You've just made an assumption as got it spectacularly wrong.

And you know this because.....

2 hours ago, droid said:

I think it’s been apparent for some time that McPhee is being trained up to do some kind of job at Hearts. Listening to Budge’s interview today it feels like that position is ‘Sporting Director’.

I think a Sporting Director role would suit MacPhee and I’d be more than happy for him to take up this position. He wouldn’t have any input into the first team so those moaning about him would have nothing to say. 

Dagger Is Back
1 hour ago, FruitJuice said:

Thanks for the info  it does seem strange that a company would sign a deal that limits its growth with other clubs.  I also cant understand why we signed a deal to use it before we had seen it produce the goods.  Signing an exclusivity deal for somethin that hasn't been tested at our lever seems strange.  I heard Preston the other day saying we should scrap it   Was it not originally owned by cathro?  

Yes it was. JC bought it from him. Did Preston day why he wanted it scrapped.

I’ll be honest and say I’m a sceptic. Hope I’m wrong and that it helps produce a conveyor belt of talent but....

48 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Up until the last time I saw Hearts training(about September) Levein was there every day. It was more noticeable after the draw at East Fife. 

9 minutes ago, DarioHMFC said:

I think a Sporting Director role would suit MacPhee and I’d be more than happy for him to take up this position. He wouldn’t have any input into the first team so those moaning about him would have nothing to say. 

He’s hardly done anything to justify getting a role created for him has he??

25 minutes ago, DarthVodka said:

seen Ruud Gullit outside the Balmoral earlier 

Sorry, I thought ann said an experienced high profile name.

3 minutes ago, Mort said:

He has excellent football knowledge and contacts. He would excel in that role. Whether it is him or not, that is the route we will go down and why bring in someone completely new when we have someone who is perfect for that position already here. He will have no real input into the first team so I’m happy with that. 

Edited by DarioHMFC

7 minutes ago, DarioHMFC said:

Agreed, if he has the skill set in relation the post, why not. Sometimes the new broom sweep clean attitude decimating the engine room can be counter productive 

3 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Up until the last time I saw Hearts training(about September) Levein was there every day. It was more noticeable after the draw at East Fife. 

Craig Levein has been at training every day for months. That was how he used to operate but became more ‘hands on’ as our form slipped. 

pettigrewsstylist
17 minutes ago, DarioHMFC said:

From listening to Anns presser today MacPhee, Robinson, Robertson or Daly will not be our new manager. 

Testing the water she has been. Best we keep shouting to avoid confusion imo.

pettigrewsstylist
6 minutes ago, Mort said:

Counts Clares sweat beads and runs through free kick street theatre.

We are fighting St Lies down fir bottom spot.

Taxi........

Coburg Hearts
27 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

She has already said we are going for an experienced  manager with a high profile. What part of that could   the  hippy  squat dweller fail to

understand?

No Idea. Maybe she was using a bit of psychology, but must each comment from the Club get more scrutiny that the Dead Sea scrolls? That last bit not aimed at you, FA.

rudi must stay
1 hour ago, Agentjambo said:

Michael laudrup 

Would love him

Love the way Swansea played, they beat Valencia at the Mestella. 2 months later he's sacked

Clever guy and fantastic coach

14 minutes ago, Hood09 said:

Strachan going to one of the Edinburgh teams

If Strachan goes to one of the Edinburgh teams it’ll be Hibs. 

1 minute ago, jambobob61 said:

But he identifies the players we might sign!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nope. That will be down to the MANAGER, he may be responsible for negotiations though and might offer some advice but that will not be his remit. 

Edited by DarioHMFC

Just now, DarioHMFC said:

Nope. That will be down to the MANAGER, he may be responsible for negotiations though and might offer some advice but that will not be his remit. 

Even if it was, MacPhee is responsible for Washington, Meshino, Lafferty and Michael Smith. 

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, DarioHMFC said:

The SD can also identify players for positions the manager wants to fill. Kind of like an HR manager filtering applications to create a short list for the hiring manager. Manager has the final say though, as Neilson and Cathro did.