General Election 2019

Shanks said no

Folk still banging on about "once in a lifetime" as if it was a clause in a legally binding Act of Parliament and not a throwaway line used to emphasise the importance of the vote :vrface:

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Justin Z

• dobmisterdobster

• Mikey1874

2 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

:cornette_dog:

please don't entertain him. He just pops in now and then with his daft wee names and then pops off again. Just a troll who gets away with it but just ignore him

Brighton Jambo
57 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Not quite, she has specifically said no deal will be done with the Tories.

It would be interesting to see if Johnson offered another Indy ref within the next two years for her support.

I would like to think she is principled enough to tell him where to stick it.  But the temptation would be there and some of the more fanatical elements of the independence movement be interesting to watch 

Pasquale for King
34 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

There is  no way she would take any deal from the Tories, her entire raison d'etre is that they are super evil and to blame for everything.

It would be political suicide in Scotland

Her raisin d’etre is or should be independence and the betterment of Scotland. The Tories are evil but if you have to do a deal with the devil for the country then so be it. Never going to happen, I just thought I would throw it out there. 

Pasquale for King
Just now, Brighton Jambo said:

I would like to think she is principled enough to tell him where to stick it.  But the temptation would be there and some of the more fanatical elements of the independence movement be interesting to watch 

Not sure what the fanatical elements are, I might be part of it, but if you mean the folk who support the SNP even when they’re in the wrong the I know who are you talking about. 
It’s an extremely hypothetical question and unlikely to happen, but the last five years events have been unbelievable if not entirely predictable. 

Pasquale for King
47 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

Taking your last point first and repeating the observation I made in my previous response to you. Inviting people to vote SNP in order to help prevent Brexit is not in any way deception. The SNP has made it clear that they will not enter into any agreements with any party that stands in the way of a second referendum. This is clearly stated and if you people are not aware of it then the SNP cannot be blamed for those people who are ignorant of it. There now seems to be a sizeable body of uninformed people in this category according to some on here but it still does not make it a deception.

I already explained that if you do not want a second Indyref then perhaps you should vote Lib Dem if you feel so strongly about preventing Brexit. The problem you have if you do vote Lib Dem is that you will be unlikely to have contributed to any seat gains from pro Brexit parties and will be likely to have helped the Tories to victory in some cases.

For the poster who thinks he cannot vote for the SNP but wants another referendum before the GE, I have news for you, you’re not getting one and if you want to stop Brexit at all you will most likely need a 3 way coalition with Labour, Lib Dems and the SNP. The likelihood of that happening is much reduced if Scottish voters do not vote SNP. It’s almost as if the Brexit brigade realise this and are trying to discourage the less active unionists in Scotland from lending their vote to the SNP. As usual they are being played by the Tories and Farage’s mob and many will fall for it all over again.

In any case why should this 3 way coalition not support another referendum if Scotland’s biggest party is the SNP? It’s not very democratic if you oppose it,is it?  You might not be feart but there are many who are. Labour and the Libdems know the SNP position and in this scenario just like individual voters they will have to decide whether they think leaving the EU is a price worth paying in order to prevent Scottish voters having their democratic rights and determining their own future.

Nicola’s other point is that the SNP have been the most effective party at opposing Brexit with the efforts of Cherry and others getting UK wide recognition. I’m not sure what the LibDems have done other than abandon their policy of a second EU referendum for an undemocratic revoke article 50 policy and now I think they have reinstated their second referendum policy. A bit like Labour their policies are undemocratic, inconsistent and all over the place.

The best way to resist Brexit IMO is to vote SNP and you might think that the possibility of Independence could lead to a softening of Tory attitudes to the EU. It might put pressure on their negotiating team but maybe the reality is that they would be happy to get rid of the EU and Scotland in one fell swoop. It’s been interesting to see that English voters now value the union with Scotland much less than they value those with Wales and Northern Ireland.

As for your statements about the last referendum being settled for a generation and that being a clear and firm commitment by the SNP then I don’t recognise it. I heard AS and NS talking about a once in generation chance or opportunity but these statements were not manifesto commitments they were attempts to persuade people to vote indy in 2014 and not put off their decision making until later.

In fact the SNP manifesto stated that in the event of the UK being taken out of the EU and Scotland not wishing to do so “We believe that the Scottish Parliament should have the right to hold another referendum if there is clear and sustained evidence that independence has become the preferred option of a majority of the Scottish people – or if there is a significant and material change in the circumstances that prevailed in 2014, such as Scotland being taken out of the EU against our will.” You should also note that Indyref2 can be justified on the basis of clear and sustained evidence that indy is the preferred option of the majority of the Scottish people which totally contradicts your notion that the matter has been settled for a generation. Do you really think that the SNP were going to throw the towel in for a generation after taking independence support from 20 odd percent to almost 45% during the indyref campaign.

You’re asking me if I the Yes side got anywhere near the No sides 55% well it depends on whether you think 50% is near but that’s not the issue any more. The issue now is which union do you want to remain in and that is a material change whether you like it or not. You will. I hope be aware that the No side promised us that voting No was the only way to stay in the EU. Some people in Scotland think that what happened was a betrayal by No and would now vote for Scottish independence if offered the chance. It seems they are to be denied this opportunity if Unionist parties are to be believed. Was it a deception to ask us to vote No on the basis that was the only way to remain in the EU? Significant numbers of people in Labour and the Tories campaigned to leave after their parties promised us that a No vote meant staying in the EU.

Do you think there is anybody in Scotland who votes SNP, or is considering doing so, who does not know that they are in favour of independence and that they will push the independence agenda at every opportunity?

Fantastic post CD.

50 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

The Tories can GTF and the SNP can GTF if they ever deal with Boris.

Brighton Jambo
55 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Not sure what the fanatical elements are, I might be part of it, but if you mean the folk who support the SNP even when they’re in the wrong the I know who are you talking about. 
It’s an extremely hypothetical question and unlikely to happen, but the last five years events have been unbelievable if not entirely predictable. 

I was aiming that at the sort of people (in society not posters on here!) who claim Scotland should unilaterally declare independence or hold an unofficial referendum.

The Mighty Thor
3 hours ago, dobmisterdobster said:

I want to see Boris vs Jeremy. Everyone else is an irrelevance.

Neither Johnson or Corbyn would particularly fancy debating with politicians who actually know what they're on about. 

As we've seen, first sign of any scrutiny and they crumble, particularly Johnson. 

Pasquale for King
32 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

I was aiming that at the sort of people (in society not posters on here!) who claim Scotland should unilaterally declare independence or hold an unofficial referendum.

I get you now, they’re entitled to their opinion but it does have to be done by legal means and even then when does the UK bother about international laws.

Not sure if it's the time or the place, but I'd pump Jo Swinson.

There, I said it.

(still got no intention of voting for her, mind) 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 hour ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Neither Johnson or Corbyn would particularly fancy debating with politicians who actually know what they're on about. 

As we've seen, first sign of any scrutiny and they crumble, particularly Johnson. 

No great worries with Sturgeon or Swinson then.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
17 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

Not sure if it's the time or the place, but I'd pump Jo Swinson.

There, I said it.

(still got no intention of voting for her, mind) 

realised over the weekend that I’d pump Emily Maitlis

2 hours ago, Brighton Jambo said:

She will never deal with the tories

Anyone see the Johnson political broadcast?     Howling attempt to portray him as a down to earth guy.    

How do you start the day?     Oh I get up and take the dog for a jobby.     Fish and chips or roast dinner?    Oh fish and chips.     Marmite yes or no?    Yes.     Who's you're favourite band?    The Clash or The Rolling Stones.     

Aye?    ****ing great.    What a braw *****.

11 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

They weren't throwaway lines though. 

They were an understanding of reality at that time. 

Yeah, and so were "it's the only way to stay in the EU"

Reality's changed.

The Mighty Thor

Not now cutting corporation tax to save 6 billion a year to fund the NHS. Between that and the 350 million a week the NHS will be flying. 

They'll be fitting gastric bands like a F1 pit crew. 

One thing that intrigues me is how the Labour vote is going to hold up in Scotland.

Will it completely collapse leading to a good night for the SNP and Tories or will the whole Corbyn v Johnson focus bring voters back to Labour on election night.   

I think the pollsters have a tough job here as I think a lot of people will not decide until they are in the voting booth.  

20 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Anyone see the Johnson political broadcast?     Howling attempt to portray him as a down to earth guy.    

How do you start the day?     Oh I get up and take the dog for a jobby.     Fish and chips or roast dinner?    Oh fish and chips.     Marmite yes or no?    Yes.     Who's you're favourite band?    The Clash or The Rolling Stones.     

You say that but there is no denying his popularity by comparison with his opponents.   

9 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I'd love to see Labour parody of this walk and talk "unrehearsed" nonsense.

Corbyn passes a cup of tea with a teabag left in it, shakes his head and drops the tea bag into a waste paper bucket with a newspaper headline "Dead in a Ditch PM Lies to the Public".

Passes a pole dancing pole next to a computer with "Computing for Dummies", swings around the pole and picks up a cheque for £100k

PAsses  a portrait of the Queen with a headline PM lies to HRH, another with Supreme Court Rules Boris JOhnson illegally suspended Parliament

Passes a pile of documents with a sign over them saying "Government Suppressed Reports until AFTER the election" Picks up the top one headlined "Russian involvement in the Brexit Campaign", flicks through the pages, looks shocked and shakes his head

and so on and so on.

At the end say that there are x number of occassions where Johnson has lied, can you spot them all? If you spot all his lies Boris promises you $350m a week

(I realise I'm getting carried away .... just got on a roll with the idea 🙂 )

jambos are go!
5 hours ago, coconut doug said:

Taking your last point first and repeating the observation I made in my previous response to you. Inviting people to vote SNP in order to help prevent Brexit is not in any way deception. The SNP has made it clear that they will not enter into any agreements with any party that stands in the way of a second referendum. This is clearly stated and if you people are not aware of it then the SNP cannot be blamed for those people who are ignorant of it. There now seems to be a sizeable body of uninformed people in this category according to some on here but it still does not make it a deception.

I already explained that if you do not want a second Indyref then perhaps you should vote Lib Dem if you feel so strongly about preventing Brexit. The problem you have if you do vote Lib Dem is that you will be unlikely to have contributed to any seat gains from pro Brexit parties and will be likely to have helped the Tories to victory in some cases.

For the poster who thinks he cannot vote for the SNP but wants another referendum before the GE, I have news for you, you’re not getting one and if you want to stop Brexit at all you will most likely need a 3 way coalition with Labour, Lib Dems and the SNP. The likelihood of that happening is much reduced if Scottish voters do not vote SNP. It’s almost as if the Brexit brigade realise this and are trying to discourage the less active unionists in Scotland from lending their vote to the SNP. As usual they are being played by the Tories and Farage’s mob and many will fall for it all over again.

In any case why should this 3 way coalition not support another referendum if Scotland’s biggest party is the SNP? It’s not very democratic if you oppose it,is it?  You might not be feart but there are many who are. Labour and the Libdems know the SNP position and in this scenario just like individual voters they will have to decide whether they think leaving the EU is a price worth paying in order to prevent Scottish voters having their democratic rights and determining their own future.

Nicola’s other point is that the SNP have been the most effective party at opposing Brexit with the efforts of Cherry and others getting UK wide recognition. I’m not sure what the LibDems have done other than abandon their policy of a second EU referendum for an undemocratic revoke article 50 policy and now I think they have reinstated their second referendum policy. A bit like Labour their policies are undemocratic, inconsistent and all over the place.

The best way to resist Brexit IMO is to vote SNP and you might think that the possibility of Independence could lead to a softening of Tory attitudes to the EU. It might put pressure on their negotiating team but maybe the reality is that they would be happy to get rid of the EU and Scotland in one fell swoop. It’s been interesting to see that English voters now value the union with Scotland much less than they value those with Wales and Northern Ireland.

As for your statements about the last referendum being settled for a generation and that being a clear and firm commitment by the SNP then I don’t recognise it. I heard AS and NS talking about a once in generation chance or opportunity but these statements were not manifesto commitments they were attempts to persuade people to vote indy in 2014 and not put off their decision making until later.

In fact the SNP manifesto stated that in the event of the UK being taken out of the EU and Scotland not wishing to do so “We believe that the Scottish Parliament should have the right to hold another referendum if there is clear and sustained evidence that independence has become the preferred option of a majority of the Scottish people – or if there is a significant and material change in the circumstances that prevailed in 2014, such as Scotland being taken out of the EU against our will.” You should also note that Indyref2 can be justified on the basis of clear and sustained evidence that indy is the preferred option of the majority of the Scottish people which totally contradicts your notion that the matter has been settled for a generation. Do you really think that the SNP were going to throw the towel in for a generation after taking independence support from 20 odd percent to almost 45% during the indyref campaign.

You’re asking me if I the Yes side got anywhere near the No sides 55% well it depends on whether you think 50% is near but that’s not the issue any more. The issue now is which union do you want to remain in and that is a material change whether you like it or not. You will. I hope be aware that the No side promised us that voting No was the only way to stay in the EU. Some people in Scotland think that what happened was a betrayal by No and would now vote for Scottish independence if offered the chance. It seems they are to be denied this opportunity if Unionist parties are to be believed. Was it a deception to ask us to vote No on the basis that was the only way to remain in the EU? Significant numbers of people in Labour and the Tories campaigned to leave after their parties promised us that a No vote meant staying in the EU.

Do you think there is anybody in Scotland who votes SNP, or is considering doing so, who does not know that they are in favour of independence and that they will push the independence agenda at every opportunity?

One question . What do the SNP mean when they ask unionists to lend them their vote to block brexit?

2 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Not now cutting corporation tax to save 6 billion a year to fund the NHS. Between that and the 350 million a week the NHS will be flying. 

They'll be fitting gastric bands like a F1 pit crew. 

Between that and promising to give Scottish fairmers the cash they should have had years ago under the guise of benevolence, things are looking mighty rosy under Trump Lite. 

2 hours ago, Zlatanable said:

Are we 'already independent'? Is 'running your own affairs is the best solution isn't it?' whilst being in the EU? Do all other countries 'do it'?

Is it simple? 

Yes 

The Mighty Thor
10 hours ago, RobboM said:

I'd love to see Labour parody of this walk and talk "unrehearsed" nonsense.

Corbyn passes a cup of tea with a teabag left in it, shakes his head and drops the tea bag into a waste paper bucket with a newspaper headline "Dead in a Ditch PM Lies to the Public".

Passes a pole dancing pole next to a computer with "Computing for Dummies", swings around the pole and picks up a cheque for £100k

PAsses  a portrait of the Queen with a headline PM lies to HRH, another with Supreme Court Rules Boris JOhnson illegally suspended Parliament

Passes a pile of documents with a sign over them saying "Government Suppressed Reports until AFTER the election" Picks up the top one headlined "Russian involvement in the Brexit Campaign", flicks through the pages, looks shocked and shakes his head

and so on and so on.

At the end say that there are x number of occassions where Johnson has lied, can you spot them all? If you spot all his lies Boris promises you $350m a week

(I realise I'm getting carried away .... just got on a roll with the idea 🙂 )

We were talking about this on Saturday. 

Labour should have focussed its entire campaign on the human car crash that is Johnson. 

Every poster, every on line clip, every tv PPB all about Johnsons lies, his affairs, his dodgy backers, his dismal record as mayor or foreign secretary.

It would be their most effective campaign tool and he would crumble under that kind of pressure. 

Easiest GE campaign ever for the Tories right now. 

On 17/11/2019 at 00:21, Brighton Jambo said:

As much as you may dislike the current government blaming them for Prince Andrew allegedly being a seedy/randy bugger surely can be their fault!!! 

Ditto SNP or labour or Libdems. 👍 

On the Boris v Jeremy debate. Do you think Independence should be discussed with only one side of the debate present? Or should there be debates with Ian Blackford or Nicola Sturgeon v Boris and v Jeremy. The Libdems don't have leg to stand on regards referenda. 

28 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

“People don’t think referendums are proving to be brilliantly healing as political devices in our country.”

:lol: The brass neck!

Edited by Justin Z

Brighton Jambo
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Ditto SNP or labour or Libdems. 👍 

On the Boris v Jeremy debate. Do you think Independence should be discussed with only one side of the debate present? Or should there be debates with Ian Blackford or Nicola Sturgeon v Boris and v Jeremy. The Libdems don't have leg to stand on regards referenda. 

I don’t think they should be discussing the details and merits of independence in any debate for a general election as I think that should be for a referendum campaign.  I’m not sure there enough mileage in the should we/shouldn’t we be allowed a referendums to merit a debate on it. 

i don’t think there is anything wrong with with BJ or JC stating that a vote for them means no chance of a second referendum as that’s a manifesto position and so fact but I don’t think much more need to be or should be said on the topic.  

15 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

I don’t think they should be discussing the details and merits of independence in any debate for a general election as I think that should be for a referendum campaign.  I’m not sure there enough mileage in the should we/shouldn’t we be allowed a referendums to merit a debate on it. 

i don’t think there is anything wrong with with BJ or JC stating that a vote for them means no chance of a second referendum as that’s a manifesto position and so fact but I don’t think much more need to be or should be said on the topic.  

So why is this called the Brexit General Election?

Brighton Jambo
2 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

So why is this called the Brexit General Election?

Two reasons I can see:

1.  This election is to determine how to enact the outcome of the Brexit referendum.  Leave with deal or agree new deal, revoke Article 50 etc.  You cannot make the same case for Scottish independence referendum  as the outcome of the last referendum was fully enacted (Scotland stayed in uk).  Not sure you are comparing apples with apples there.

2. There are very different views across all Parties about the approach to Brexit.  To be blunt you can’t say the same about Scottish independence.  Every major party except the SNP who represent one tenth of voters says there shouldn’t be a referendum and so I’m not sure how what is a minority issue for the UK and on which there is general consensus from the main UK parties then warrants much debate time.  

Boris wont have any choice but to allow a Scottish referendum once the SNP whipe out every seat barring maybe one or two. That's a clear mandate there not to mention the fact Scotland voted overwhelmingly to remain the EU. 

This is a UNION and Scotland have the right to dissolve that union at any point. We are equal partners in union.  Boris Johnson or Jeremy Corbyn or anyone cant just say no to a referendum. The United Nations guarantee that no member will be held to a union against their will and as long as there is a clear mandate would support UDI. Nicola Sturgeon should rather not go down that route but if Boris point blank rules out another referendum he would find himself in court fairly quick. 

And would lose

Edited by AlimOzturk

35 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Two reasons I can see:

1.  This election is to determine how to enact the outcome of the Brexit referendum.  Leave with deal or agree new deal, revoke Article 50 etc.  You cannot make the same case for Scottish independence referendum  as the outcome of the last referendum was fully enacted (Scotland stayed in uk).  Not sure you are comparing apples with apples there.

2. There are very different views across all Parties about the approach to Brexit.  To be blunt you can’t say the same about Scottish independence.  Every major party except the SNP who represent one tenth of voters says there shouldn’t be a referendum and so I’m not sure how what is a minority issue for the UK and on which there is general consensus from the main UK parties then warrants much debate time.  

Where do the SNP represent one tenth of voters?

Brighton Jambo
1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

Boris wont have any choice but to allow a Scottish referendum once the SNP whipe out every seat barring maybe one or two. That's a clear mandate there not to mention the fact Scotland voted overwhelmingly to remain the EU. 

This is a UNION and Scotland have the right to dissolve that union at any point. We are equal partners in union.  Boris Johnson or Jeremy Corbyn or anyone cant just say no to a referendum. The United Nations guarantee that no member will be held to a union against their will and as long as there is a clear mandate would support UDI. Nicola Sturgeon should rather not go down that route but if Boris point blank rules out another referendum he would find himself in court fairly quick. 

And would lose

They would never support UDI, I’m sorry but that’s simply not true, as the other nations would be terrified of the precedent.  Also the manifesto of the SNP isn’t explicitly for independence is for the right to vote for independence, there’s a huge difference.  

and what’s to stop pro union parties winning a majority in future elections simply making the same case to re-join.  

At best the courts would get involved to determine whether it was illegal to keep preventing a second vote and force the UK government to allow one.  Difficult to prove that from a GE election though when there are multiple things in the SNP manifesto beyond Just this topic.

ironically we need a referendum to determine if we have a referendum l!!

2 hours ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Two reasons I can see:

Brexit says the 2014 is not enacted. In fact, it makes it null and void.

1 hour ago, Brighton Jambo said:

They would never support UDI, I’m sorry but that’s simply not true, as the other nations would be terrified of the precedent.  Also the manifesto of the SNP isn’t explicitly for independence is for the right to vote for independence, there’s a huge difference.  

and what’s to stop pro union parties winning a majority in future elections simply making the same case to re-join.  

At best the courts would get involved to determine whether it was illegal to keep preventing a second vote and force the UK government to allow one.  Difficult to prove that from a GE election though when there are multiple things in the SNP manifesto beyond Just this topic.

ironically we need a referendum to determine if we have a referendum l!!

UDI is pointless, it allows the unionists to take Scotland back into UK hands, if they had a majority post Independence.

dobmisterdobster

Boris needs to be as boring as possible in the debates.

Don't allow Corbyn to get in any passionate sound bites about the NHS. Also don't pummel him to the point where he elicits sympathy.

Just bore everyone to death and they will go back to watching I'm a Celebrity.

3 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Don't allow Corbyn to get in any passionate sound bites about the NHS. Also don't pummel him to the point where he elicits sympathy.

Both of them are damaged goods, public have already made their minds up on them. I don't think it matters who says what, 

There is no reason why this debate hasn't been opened up, apart from to keep the two biggest parties at the top. The audience and questions will probably be vetted. The whole thing is a waste of time. 

Government admits it has done NO economic impact analysis of Boris' Brexit deal.

Staggering.

It's a total leap in the dark, and without impact analysis, how did he know what he was negotiating?

dobmisterdobster
18 minutes ago, jumpship said:

Both of them are damaged goods, public have already made their minds up on them. I don't think it matters who says what, 

There is no reason why this debate hasn't been opened up, apart from to keep the two biggest parties at the top. The audience and questions will probably be vetted. The whole thing is a waste of time. 

The debates are a waste of time but politicians can't get away with ducking them like Theresa did last time.

It's all about damage limitation.

Arron Banks' twitter has been hacked.

Some very, very interesting posts and private messages in there.

In a normal world, this would bring down a government and see several people land in prison.

But this is 2019.

:scenes:

42 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

There is, of course, a danger that Johnson might get caught out telling a truth. I know it's unlikely and he'll probably get away with it but that's what he will have to guard against

https://boris-johnson-lies.com/

Francis Albert
30 minutes ago, Cade said:

Government admits it has done NO economic impact analysis of Boris' Brexit deal.

Staggering.

It's a total leap in the dark, and without impact analysis, how did he know what he was negotiating?

It is just a (currently draft) transition agreement. Until the terms of the future relationship with the EU are agreed an impact analysis is pretty meaningless. Or in other words guesswork.