General Election 2019

Shanks said no

Brighton Jambo
34 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

On maternity leave...if you are comfortable financially you don't understand the pressures many people are under. New parents being one. 

This is a relatively low cost improvement. Also crucially it's more money for children. 

Also more money available to spend in more challenged areas economically is good for local economies. One of the reasons things like benefit freezes have been so damaging for struggling economic areas. 

On the topic of children in don’t think it matters how we’ll off you are it’s brutal.  To have my two in nursery for three days a week costed me £1200 a month.  That where the focus should be for me not giving people another three months off.  And as I said if you are a small business owner it’s another kick in the nuts.  

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Justin Z

• dobmisterdobster

• Mikey1874

Not even 10:00 and that's another candidate who has withdrawn from the campaign.

Gideon Bull the Labour candidate for Clacton-on-Sea has withdrawn over claims that he called a Jewish councillor a 'Shylock', claims he denies.

Brighton Jambo
Just now, Smithee said:

Like it or not, track record, credibility, the Tories' historic contempt for Scotland and the vulnerable are very, very relevant and I won't tire of calling them liars, shysters, hypocrites and downright nasty *******s.

They chose for people to be poorer. Austerity by choice. 

I'd probably want to focus on promises rather than track record too.

I don’t have a problem with you calling the party that and their MP’s that.    I do have a problem with you assuming everyone who votes for them is if the same mindset.  Because it’s simply. not true

18 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Increase of the income tax threshold was one.

Yes

And very quickly became a key Conservative policy. 

It is interesting how the bidding for votes can find one party's policy ends up being the Government one. Changes made by David Cameron's 2010 Coalition on consumer energy (clearer Bill's, having to offer your best deal to consumers etc) were actually basically Ed Miliband's proposals. 

4 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

I don’t have a problem with you calling the party that and their MP’s that.    I do have a problem with you assuming everyone who votes for them is if the same mindset.  Because it’s simply. not true

Cool, if I do that I'm sure you'll let me know. 

As I say, I don't blame you for not wanting their track record discussed.

11 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

On the topic of children in don’t think it matters how we’ll off you are it’s brutal.  To have my two in nursery for three days a week costed me £1200 a month.  That where the focus should be for me not giving people another three months off.  And as I said if you are a small business owner it’s another kick in the nuts.  

Labour's propose discussing their plans and negotiate with business.

One aspect to maternity leave is the effect on careers. It's a factor that influences the time taken off. I've seen women suffer particularly some who took a year off. That is also something that still needs addressing. 

Brighton Jambo
6 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Cool, if I do that I'm sure you'll let me know. 

As I say, I don't blame you for not wanting their track record discussed.

I don’t mind discussing their track record as I’ve said it makes me very wary of voting for them under their present guise.  

I do support austerity when it’s required but clearly in some cases it went too far and that was wrong.    Overall I think their handling of the economy over the years is solid but the Universal credit introduction has been poorly executed and has led to unnecessary suffering for Vulnerable people.  It’s that nuance thing again, did I support a reduction in benefits, yes I did as there was a spell where it was almost as beneficial to not work as to work.  Would I ever condone seeing vulnerable people suffer of course not.  You can support conservative ideals without being a monster

Edited by Brighton Jambo

Brighton Jambo
3 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Labour's propose discussing their plans and negotiate with business.

One aspect to maternity leave is the effect on careers. It's a factor that influences the time taken off. I've seen women suffer particularly some who took a year off. That is also something that still needs addressing. 

That last bit I do agree with, greater protections for those off on and returning from maternity leave.  

1 minute ago, Brighton Jambo said:

I don’t mind discussing their track record as I’ve said it makes me very wary of voting for them under their present guise.  

I do support austerity when it’s required but clearly in some cases it went too far and that was wrong.    Overall I think their handling of the economy over the years is solid but the Universal credit introduction has been poorly executed and has led to unnecessary suffering for Vulnerable people.  It’s that nuance thing again did I support a reduction in benefits yes I do as there was a spell where it was almost as beneficial to not work as to work.  Would I ever condone seeing vulnerable people suffer of course not.  You can support conservative ideals without being a monster

And again, I'm sure you'll point it out when it happens.

But you said we need to move away from the past and discuss policies.

Nope. The past is important, the past shows what hides behind the lies.

3 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

I do support austerity when it’s required but clearly in some cases it went too far and that was wrong.    Overall I think their handling of the economy over the years is solid but the Universal credit introduction has been poorly executed and has led to unnecessary suffering for Vulnerable people.  It’s that nuance thing again, did I support a reduction in benefits, yes I did as there was a spell where it was almost as beneficial to not work as to work.  Would I ever condone seeing vulnerable people suffer of course not.  You can support conservative ideals without being a monster

The key economic principle would be to curb benefits when the economy is booming but support benefits when the economy is struggling. There is actually consensus around limiting benefit payments around work incentives. 

Tackling the deficit became the priority not supporting the economy. Benefit cuts have helped devastate some areas. 

Meantime productivity, the key measure of a healthy economy is stagnant in UK. 

19 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Yes

And very quickly became a key Conservative policy. 

It is interesting how the bidding for votes can find one party's policy ends up being the Government one. Changes made by David Cameron's 2010 Coalition on consumer energy (clearer Bill's, having to offer your best deal to consumers etc) were actually basically Ed Miliband's proposals. 

That's often the case though, one party comes up with a good idea and before long the other side adopt something very similar, which isn't really a bad thing as long as it is a good idea, however good or bad idea it's all about votes and all the parties will adopt & adapt policies which they think will appeal to the electorate at large and get them the most votes and ultimately into power and that is all that matters, power.

Brighton Jambo
23 minutes ago, Smithee said:

And again, I'm sure you'll point it out when it happens.

But you said we need to move away from the past and discuss policies.

Nope. The past is important, the past shows what hides behind the lies.

You keep saying that but where did I say anything anywhere about not discussing the past, can you show me please? 

I said let’s not keep peddling the same old stereotypes but that’s in relation to making it a fact based debate and nothing to with not talking about that past.  

manaliveits105

So far this week we have had Sturgeon singing a Dillon song badly and boogieing in the street in the weeg with kids - what next leading a samba band in a skimpy outfit - Its a general election not auditions for Im a celebrity

1 minute ago, manaliveits105 said:

So far this week we have had Sturgeon singing a Dillon song badly and boogieing in the street in the weeg with kids - what next leading a samba band in a skimpy outfit - Its a general election not auditions for Im a celebrity

Its cliche central with the publicity shots just now   I saw her  dancing and trying to look like she was enjoying herself  bullshit 

jack D and coke
1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Day three of the election campaign and I wonder who'll make an inappropriate comment or some other gaff, who'll decide they are not standing as an MP again or who'll be forced to withdraw due to comments they made years ago.

Wonder what the day will bring, and there's still the week-end to look forward to, especially the Sunday morning political shows.

Dunno. I look forward to character assassinating them though😀

Who cares what their policies are? Are they Tory filth? Get the guns on them then😃

20 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

You keep saying that but where did I say anything anywhere about not discussing the past, can you show me please? 

I said let’s not keep peddling the same old stereotypes but that’s in relation to making it a fact based debate and nothing to with not talking about that past.  

You want to discuss policies, not the same old stereotypes. 

They're stereotypes for a reason, and exactly why Scotland, the poor and the vulnerable can never trust what the Tories are promising. 

dobmisterdobster

Lowering tax thresholds hurts the poor not the rich.

Many families are struggling to get by without being shoved into new tax brackets.

The Real Maroonblood
41 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

:cornette_dog:

I initially thought it must have been David Cameron making a comeback.

Boris has just said being in the single market and having freedom of movement is a 'great deal'. (For N.Ireland).

He'll get away with this sort of thing.

dobmisterdobster
On 07/11/2019 at 07:57, Gashauskis9 said:

Don’t be fooled by the failure of the Tory/Brexit Party pact.  At the end of the day, on Friday 13th I still expect Johnson and Farage to be sitting in a car heading for the palace as a leave alliance coalition.  Johnson knows that a voting pact with Farage would put off the hardcore Labour leave voters in the North and Midlands who would never be seen voting Tory.  Equally, he knows that as long as he wins the election, he can do his usual “they made me do it” act on the doorstep of number 10/in the commons in pretty much any situation.

My current prediction;

Tories - 300 seats (small loss on 2017, due to BP and Lid Dem improvement)

Labour - 140 seats (they’ll get slaughtered, BP, SNP and Lib Dem will take seats)

Lib Dem - 80 seats (They’ll do well, but Swinson may lose her seat)

Brexit Party - 55 seats (They’ll do well)

SNP - 45 seats (they’ll pretty much wipe out in Scotland)

Other - 30 seats (ish)

Tory/Brexit coalition incoming 😔😔😔

As a Tory voter, I am not interested in a pact with the Brexit Party anymore.

We could've worked something out before Farage had his public tantrum. Now I want nothing to do with that man.

TV Debates it seems are happening

Boris v Jeremy BBC 6 December. I believe this will be a first in UK. Debates in 2010 were 3 way (Cameron, Brown, Clegg)

7 way debate also on BBC 29 November. 4 way Question Time (including Sturgeon) on 22 November. Another for the other parties.

(Subject to threatened court action by 'I'm going to be Prime Minister' Jo Swinson). Farage has also challenged Boris to a debate.

Edited by Mikey1874

8 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

TV Debates it seems are happening

Boris v Jeremy BBC 6 December. I believe this will be a first in UK. Debates in 2010 were 3 way (Cameron, Brown, Clegg)

7 way debate also on BBC 29 November. 4 way Question Time (including Sturgeon) on 22 November. Another for the other parties.

(Subject to threatened court action by 'I'm going to be Prime Minister' Jo Swinson) 

Ian Blackford should be the one leading the debates. Imo.

8 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Conservatives 10% ahead of Labour in polls.

Polls mean nothing any more

They have been wrong more often than not in all recent elections and referenda.

On polling day for the 2017 election they said a Tory majority ranging between 24 and 82, averaging 61.

Whooooooops

dobmisterdobster

Polls are indicating a lot of Tory remainders are coming home from the Lib Dems.

A Brexit Party pact/No deal manifesto would scupper that. Its a non starter.

1 minute ago, Ray Gin said:

Voting%20intention%20by%20education%20Oc

The more poorly educated someone is, the more likely they are to be a Tory/leave voter.

I'm flabbergasted.

Accuracy of polls.

Seen interviews with the heads of Survation & Yougov whom when asked about the accuracy of their polls, both said that new procedures have been put in place and they are confident that the polls you see today are a lot more accurate than they were back in 2017.

Guess we'll find out in a few weeks time, if they are right or not.

27 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Voting%20intention%20by%20age%20October%

Over 50s are a ****Ing disgrace.

'Ere - watchit!!!   :muggy:

31 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Over 50s are a ****Ing disgrace.

Not all of us! :)  But the figures, of course, are not surprising in the least. The older we get, generally the more right-wing we become. I don't think that's ever going to change.

6 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Not all of us! :)  But the figures, of course, are not surprising in the least. The older we get, generally the more right-wing we become. I don't think that's ever going to change.

Where the hell did that Adolf smiley get to...?   :mad:

16 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I'm the opposite. I'm now half Russian.

Edited by ri Alban

8 hours ago, Brighton Jambo said:

So in the spirit of practising what I preach I will go first based on the news this morning.

Labour policy on extending maternity from 9-12 months of full pay.  Personally I think 9 months is enough, I don’t hear too many people complaining about our maternity offering in the UK and it will have a negative impact on small business so no from me.

they also want to introduce menopause rights in the workplace- not sure how I feel about that, might get me into trouble so will dodge that one!

SNP want an NHS bill to protect against privatisation.  Can’t say I disagree with the sentiment though feels a bit playing to the crowd.  I’d much rather hear what their plans are to improve the NHS performance now rather than focus on what might happen.

Tories want to make it easier for foreign Workers to come from

NHS, workers from outside EU.  Just seems ridiculous to me, if that’s a concern why not have a brexit deal that would mean we could continue getting good workers from Europe like we do now.  Seems like a policy to mitigate the impact of Brexit.  Safe to say I’m my a fan of that one!

thoughts....

Here's a wee idea for the SNP, train people from Scotland to do the jobs.

27 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Just noticed. Corbyn have halved his support in the 18yo demo since 2017.

In comparison to 2017 polls 5 weeks before the election?

2 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Voting%20intention%20by%20education%20Oc

The more poorly educated someone is, the more likely they are to be a Tory/leave voter.

Because they are more likely to be blaming immigrants for stealing their jobs

Just watched a live interview with Christine Jardine the Lib Dem MP on the BBC.

She said that the SNP have never been a party of remain in the EU, they are leavers she said, indeed she added the SNP campaigned both for leave & remain during the EU referendum and only backed remain after the result was known.

I wonder if she's going a bit senile here, as that's not the way I remember things during the EU ref campaign, either that or she's just lying through her teeth.

30 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

She said that the SNP have never been a party of remain in the EU, they are leavers she said, indeed she added the SNP campaigned both for leave & remain during the EU referendum and only backed remain after the result was known.

I wonder if she's going a bit senile here, as that's not the way I remember things during the EU ref campaign, either that or she's just lying through her teeth.

That useless, lying bint is my MP! 

1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Maybe mixing up referenda? The SNP were officially against joining the EC back in the day, as were Plaid Cymru

LibDem policy alert - will block a second Independence Referendum. 

(A policy that would help them in an alliance or coalition with the Conservatives) 

Edited by Mikey1874