Levein’s time is up...

Heartsofgold

rick witter
1 hour ago, Mort said:

Since taking 25 points in our opening 10 league games, we have managed just 22 more in the following TWENTY matches. Awful.

That really is pathetic 

• Replies 20k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Spoleto

• Pasquale for King

• Alex Kintner

• JamboAl

rick witter
36 minutes ago, Ibiza Jambo said:

I have been one of Levein’s biggest supporters but it’s obviously not working out. For me it is simple now, if he wants to be in charge next season the only way he can  achieve that & redeem himself is to win the Scottish Cup! 

Never in a million years could we beat Celtic or Aberdeen at Hampden. Even less so with Levein in charge. That’s even if we manage to get past ICT. 

rick witter
17 minutes ago, York Ninja said:

Just been having a wee count up of our points total so far this season and it is pretty scary.

25 points from first ten games (W8 D1 L1) then the LCSF at Murrayfield.

After that we gained 11 points from the next 10 games up to the winter break.  Which is regarded as the worst point in the injury crisis.

Since then we have collected 11 points from 9 games with a team that has most of the injured players back.  We were sitting on 43 points on 6th Feb.  We have gained a mighty 4 points since then.

The whole academy production line of talent has seem to have stopped.  The whole idea was that all the teams from u-12 upwards played the same way.  Therefore when somebody in the first team got injured or lost form, there was somebody ready to slot into their place and knew how to play in that position.

I think we should continue as we are until the end of the season (unless we lose to ICT).  At the end of the season there should be an objective review of the whole footballing side of the club.  This should include academy performance & scouting performance as well as a first team performance review.  Something isn't working right.

Since my dad took me to sit on the Wheatfield benches in 1983,  Hearts' seasons have almost followed a 2 year cycle of good season (eg 1985/86; 1997/98) followed by bad or "meh" season (1986/87; 1997/98).  It usually goes good season - qualify for Europe - good players get snaffled away - bad season - search for hidden gems/youth players emerge - good season - qualify for Europe and repeat.  I don't expect Hearts to be 3rd every season but I do expect a "good" season every 2-3 years.  This is the third "meh" season in a row at a point where our income is greater than it ever has been and is increasing every year.

Great post. With a new management team that would bring new belief to the fans the potential is there to have 15,000 season ticket holders next season maybe more. Not with Levein in charge though. He is sucking the enthusiasm from the fans week by week. 

JamboGraham
34 minutes ago, Meadows said:

Exact words, no paraphrase from me ?

Sorry to keep coming back but that is a huge statement. When was the last time you heard her say this? Was he the manager at the time or only in the DOF post?

1 minute ago, rick witter said:

Great post. With a new management team that would bring new belief to the fans the potential is there to have 15,000 season ticket holders next season maybe more. Not with Levein in charge though. He is sucking the enthusiasm from the fans week by week. 

Who would your new management team be? 

1 minute ago, soonbe110 said:

O'Neil, Austin and Hughes. 

5 minutes ago, rick witter said:

Never in a million years could we beat Celtic or Aberdeen at Hampden. Even less so with Levein in charge. That’s even if we manage to get past ICT. 

On our day we have and can beat anyone at Hampden. So less of the we cannae pish, if you don't mind. Yes you want a new manager, but while the big man is in charge at least support your team. I'm not happy either but I'll never boo or shout against Hearts, ever.  And as far as I'm concerned, we can beat the world.

A wee moan or two on here helps tho! :)

1 hour ago, Meadows said:

One more window, said Levein .

He’s  had more windows than CR Smith , got more coaches than Parks  of Hamilton . Couldn’t motivate a goldfish to open its mouth . 

Budge has said repeatedly the day Levein leaves is the day she leaves .... the mind boggles . 

Did she say the day he leaves as manager or the day he leaves Hearts altogether ?

He could quit as manager and continue in a different role away from first team matters.

Another point is did she make that statement before or after CL had his heart scare ?

45 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Have you ever thought that the players are playing to instructions. I watched the rugby yesterday in preference to going to Hamiltom (seemed like a good choice) and I was amazed at the turnaround in Scotland's play and it seems after reading today's match reports that Finn Russell had an argument about tactics with Townsend at the half time break.

So there was an example of players playing to the Coaches instructions and going in at the break 31 - 0 down. The end result was 38 -38 mainly due to that argument and a change of tactic resulting in a huge resurgence in the Scots style of play.

I believe that we have a decent squad of players at Hearts and they are showing by the way they are playing that they don't like or agree with the way he wants them to play. Short of coming out and saying we don't like him as our Coach what else can they do.

One of his comments after yesterday's game was  he is at a loss to understand the players performance. I think a large number of the fans know where the problem lies and it is not with the players.

CL is the master of excuses so if he were to go I think we all know that it would be put down to his health situation.

Almost exactly what I said on here this morning.  I think the players are going through the motions in doing what they are told but it's not getting results. More worryingly there was a genuine "WTF moment" yesterday  when CL looked at his team of coaches and there was a collective shrugging of shoulders. I don't believe any of them knows what to do  or has the balls to speak out. 

tolcross lad
11 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Have you ever thought that the players are playing to instructions. I watched the rugby yesterday in preference to going to Hamiltom (seemed like a good choice) and I was amazed at the turnaround in Scotland's play and it seems after reading today's match reports that Finn Russell had an argument about tactics with Townsend at the half time break.

So there was an example of players playing to the Coaches instructions and going in at the break 31 - 0 down. The end result was 38 -38 mainly due to that argument and a change of tactic resulting in a huge resurgence in the Scots style of play.

I believe that we have a decent squad of players at Hearts and they are showing by the way they are playing that they don't like or agree with the way he wants them to play. Short of coming out and saying we don't like him as our Coach what else can they do.

One of his comments after yesterday's game was  he is at a loss to understand the players performance. I think a large number of the fans know where the problem lies and it is not with the players.

CL is the master of excuses so if he were to go I think we all know that it would be put down to his health situation.

Players rarely openly criticise managers.They tend to down tools individually or collectively.Recent obvious examples are Mourinho and Lennon and I believe we are seeing this happen at Hearts.

Just now, wavydavy said:

My exact thoughts last night just cause your a boss doesn't mean your always right

Just now, soonbe110 said:

I would give Robbo another pop with Rudi as his assistant we might not win every match but nothing would be left on the pitch

13 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

Quite a schizophrenic thread, this... and before anyone complains, I'm using the 'general use' definition: "A mentality or approach characterized by inconsistent or contradictory elements". Hearts scramble past Partick and all is apparently well. Hearts lose at Hamilton and all is apparently a catastrophe.

It's not "schizophrenic".  Few , if any , claim edging past Partick over two games is satisfactory and I haven't seen a single poster use "catastrophe" in relationship to yet another dire performance yesterday so stop making it up. .  Almost no fan questions the great efforts put in by CL but he's been in charge for almost two complete seasons now and the signs for this & next season are not good : in his own words , CL doesn't know what to do.  You don't have a cystal ball , so to say like some Nostradamus figure "there would be  chaos"if he goes  is nonsense. However I'd suggest that when a head coach/manager says publicly that he can't arrest the decline of his team (ie do his own job properly) then that IS going to lead to chaos.  If CL can't change things he should do the honourable thing and resign. Put the current coaching team in place with a very short message - if you want a job next season you better start getting results. 

17 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Did she say the day he leaves as manager or the day he leaves Hearts altogether ?

He could quit as manager and continue in a different role away from first team matters.

Another point is did she make that statement before or after CL had his heart scare ?

Thr day he leaves Hearts. It was a while ago , therefore prior to his health issues. 

indianajones
35 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

+1.

Would be interesting. 

Whoever it is, it needs to be someone that isnt already at the club. 

5 minutes ago, Meadows said:

Thr day he leaves Hearts. It was a while ago , therefore prior to his health issues. 

Thanks for your reply.

Do you not think his heart scare sort of changes that though ?

She would have thought that they were going to be working together at least until the club was handed over to FOH.

Unforeseen events can change things.

19 minutes ago, andi17 said:

I would give Robbo another pop with Rudi as his assistant we might not win every match but nothing would be left on the pitch

Did you see his record or the Hearts team in the league after he took over from Levein?  As many people would put it - Eye Bleeding stuff with an awful run of results.

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, Meadows said:

One more window, said Levein .

He’s  had more windows than CR Smith , got more coaches than Parks  of Hamilton . Couldn’t motivate a goldfish to open its mouth . 

Budge has said repeatedly the day Levein leaves is the day she leaves .... the mind boggles . 

Brilliant post ?

1 minute ago, luckydug said:

Whats so funny ?

Care to explain your point ?

That post made me chuckle. 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
2 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

That post made me chuckle. 

Made me chuckle, too.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Ibiza Jambo said:

I have been one of Levein’s biggest supporters but it’s obviously not working out. For me it is simple now, if he wants to be in charge next season the only way he can  achieve that & redeem himself is to win the Scottish Cup! 

Would that actually change anything though, we would all celebrate winning the cup but we would be having the same discussions by Xmas. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Gizmo said:

It's a fair point. Naismith, Souttar and Michael Smith manage to be very consistent. Haring, pre-op as well. Perhaps they have the luxury of rarely being dropped but then, you could flip that round and say Levein keeps his trust in them because of that consistency.

It's the negative approach that gets me. We beat hibs at Easter Road, fairly and deservedly so. Why did that result not give the players a big confidence boost and the appetite/belief they could beat anyone?

It must be coached into them, this safety first, timid approach. And then the tinkering with the starting 11 then just erodes confidence in individuals who might have played ok and yet get dropped, sometimes out of the squad completely. 

Well said 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, York Ninja said:

Just been having a wee count up of our points total so far this season and it is pretty scary.

After that we gained 11 points from the next 10 games up to the winter break.  Which is regarded as the worst point in the injury crisis.

Since then we have collected 11 points from 9 games with a team that has most of the injured players back.  We were sitting on 43 points on 6th Feb.  We have gained a mighty 4 points since then.

The whole academy production line of talent has seem to have stopped.  The whole idea was that all the teams from u-12 upwards played the same way.  Therefore when somebody in the first team got injured or lost form, there was somebody ready to slot into their place and knew how to play in that position.

I think we should continue as we are until the end of the season (unless we lose to ICT).  At the end of the season there should be an objective review of the whole footballing side of the club.  This should include academy performance & scouting performance as well as a first team performance review.  Something isn't working right.

Since my dad took me to sit on the Wheatfield benches in 1983,  Hearts' seasons have almost followed a 2 year cycle of good season (eg 1985/86; 1997/98) followed by bad or "meh" season (1986/87; 1997/98).  It usually goes good season - qualify for Europe - good players get snaffled away - bad season - search for hidden gems/youth players emerge - good season - qualify for Europe and repeat.  I don't expect Hearts to be 3rd every season but I do expect a "good" season every 2-3 years.  This is the third "meh" season in a row at a point where our income is greater than it ever has been and is increasing every year.

Great post ??

Just now, frankblack said:

Did you see his record or the Hearts team in the league after he took over from Levein?  As many people would put it - Eye Bleeding stuff with an awful run of results.

Think the wee man has learned a lot since then just my opinion and would certainly sell season tickets

Invest in a decent coach who will get the best out this lot instead of letting him sign any more disabled has-been’s.

When Craig Levein comes out with the statement that he doesn’t know why we 

show a lack of creativity in our team tells us more about Levein than anything 

else. What the hell is he doing ? It’s his team this season, he put this team 

together and yet he stands in the dugout scratching his head clueless while 

his Bootroom pals give him their unhelpful thoughts. I really hope our players 

can turn things around despite our managements failings.

bean counter
3 hours ago, Mort said:

Since taking 25 points in our opening 10 league games, we have managed just 22 more in the following TWENTY matches. Awful.

I've not read the whole thread but this stat clearly shows that something has gone wrong however I don't think changing the manager now will solve the problem or help the situation.

In 2012 our league form was poor we finished 5th won 15 lost 16 with 52 points but we won the Cup

This year so far won 14 lost 11with 47 points

At the start of the season I believe we were targeting good cup runs and a top four finish. Regardless of our luck with the draw we have made two Cup semi finals and are 4 points off 4th or 5points off third. We have still to play Kilmarnock twice and Aberdeen three times

If you had said to me at the start of the season get to two Cup semi's and finish fourth I would have taken it and said it was a good season

1 hour ago, Agentjambo said:

So you think we should match O’Neills NI contract. Roughly £500k pa for next four and a half years. 

Not a surprise the Levein defenders are nowhere to be seen after rimming him during the week.

another gutless, clueless display from him and his wonderful signings.

Cut The Crap
3 hours ago, Mort said:

That's progress....of sorts.

He's not got the mentality for management anymore. The team don't play with any passion or aggression. Its as passive as his personality has become. 

Levein goes down as a Hearts great but he needs to wind up as a manager and let someone younger with drive and determination take over. 

Toxteth O'Grady
Just now, OTT said:

He's not got the mentality for management anymore. The team don't play with any passion or aggression. Its as passive as his personality has become. 

Levein goes down as a Hearts great but he needs to wind up as a manager and let someone younger with drive and determination take over. 

I think that is right, he sounds very downbeat when giving pre match interviews. Not very inspiring

Robbo-Jambo
7 minutes ago, OTT said:

Nail on the head.

sandylejambo

our midfield must be coached to not give and run in front of our forwards, we are ridgged and predictable, with no one willing to burst a gut to get into a scoring position, its pedestrian and boring as ****, ill wait regards the season ticket and hope something persuades me that walk up is not the way to go, I've had enough of getting angry at the team. 

18 minutes ago, OTT said:

I think it is down to his health. Since his problem nothing has been the same. 

2 hours ago, Agentjambo said:

Why is the club terrified of finding a good coach, because there's plenty out there, (Hibs have one), who isn't already involved with the club. Is Levein concerned about his influence being undermined...?

Time for a clear out. Sorry Anne but if you insist on leaving too we'll miss you....!

Brauhauser2012
10 hours ago, HeartofHartley said:

You cant get rid of Levein without getting rid of Budge. 

She's not the messiah some make her out to be. 

I disagree. I think Ann is a tremendous asset and I think as a capable business woman she's unlikely to accept failure for long. Any one thinking shes a soft touch needs their head examined.

16 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

Perhaps a beach on sunny Spain would tempt him. 

Perhaps it already has.

Perhaps.

Robbo-Jambo

Remember the days when a Levein team would get it with both barrels if they were not carrying out his instructions. Now he just shrugs his shoulders and says i dont know why the players are like that. No gumption in the man nowadays.

Edited by Robbo-Jambo

Dusk_Till_Dawn
3 hours ago, York Ninja said:

This is spot on.

With regards to consistency of style, it would be very hard to teach anyone Levein’s style, which is basically hoof the ball and hope for knockdowns. Dinosaur stuff.

I’d have more respect for Levein if he resigned rather than retired at the end of the season. Retiring makes it look as if it’s on his terms when in reality, he’d be jumping before he was pushed.

4 hours ago, wavydavy said:

1 hour ago, Brauhauser2012 said:

I disagree. I think Ann is a tremendous asset and I think as a capable business woman she's unlikely to accept failure for long. Any one thinking shes a soft touch needs their head examined.

She has been the saviour of Hearts, but the support as well as 8000 contributers in the FOH also deserve better than the awful product on show every week

As far as the actual football, Anne Budge is obviously totally out of her depth, and her total reliance on Craig Levein in this department could tarnish her legacy if she doesn’t address this issue quickly 

As an aside shouldn’t a spokesperson from FOH and or someone from the supporters federation be asking Anne Budge what direction we are heading ?

4 hours ago, wavydavy said:

Rocky jamboa
12 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

She has been the saviour of Hearts, but the support as well as 8000 contributers in the FOH also deserve better than the awful product on show every week

As far as the actual football, Anne Budge is obviously totally out of her depth, and her total reliance on Craig Levein in this department could tarnish her legacy if she doesn’t address this issue quickly 

As an aside shouldn’t a spokesperson from FOH and or someone from the supporters federation be asking Anne Budge what direction we are heading ?

Following on from this, what would happen when we become fully fan owned? It's clear most people want a change of management so would the club/FOH push through the wishes of the majority of fans?

7 minutes ago, Paulp74 said:

Following on from this, what would happen when we become fully fan owned? It's clear most people want a change of management so would the club/FOH push through the wishes of the majority of fans?

Yes, every 2nd or 3rd week.

• JKBMod 12 changed the title to Levein’s time is up...
  • davemclaren pinned and unpinned this topic
  • davemclaren locked this topic