Levein’s time is up...

Heartsofgold

1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

I'm just of the long-held view that managers need time to build teams. In his first spell I think Levein had two 5ths before getting two thirds. Doddie took a similar time to get going. It's just my opinion that, unless they do a disastrous job - like Cathro - 3 years is a good length of time. I wanted Neilson for another year too. The only previous Hearts manager I can remember wanting out very quickly was Tommy Mclean.

Levein in particular is someone who thinks long-term. He's never been a quick fix type manager. I actually wish he'd had longer with Scotland. I think he would have got it right in time.

So I'm fine with Levein continuing next season (we know it's his last) so we can spend time thinking about the next man in charge - lining up Robbo for example - and even taking a closer look at the coaches internally to see if, say, Daly might be ready. Why not even give Daly a Solskiar type trial if Levein steps aside for half a season? I'd rather that than rip everything up this close season.

As for this season, Levein for me did enough in putting together a brand new team and storming the league in the first couple of months to suggest he can do get us up the league next year. I'm also giving him some leeway as few managers could have coped with so many injuries. That said with his experience he should have made a better job of coping with it.

Fair enough Toque I can see where you're coming from. We are probably of a similar age as I have watched all of these teams and go back to Moncur and Ford as a kid. 

My personal take on things is that football has changed significantly. There is little chance to build a team over a longer period of time as players only stay at clubs for an average of 2 to 3 years. That being the case your manager needs to come up with a system that they can fit players into. Levein has a system but it involves the ball going from back to front fairly directly. That's not how our youth teams play at the club and you saw the evidence of that by the way Cochrane and Smith tried to play football first half today. A different head coach in place who focussed on moving the ball through transition quicker in the first team would be a better fit for bringing players through. I don't see any evidence of that in the first team at the minute so I wonder what our first team coaches work on. I would not like to see us go forward with someone like Robbo, I think we could unearth someone relatively experienced who was first and foremost a training ground coach. Our coaching staff are inexperienced so if you kept them maybe they could be developed. 

Obviously given my age Levein was a big hero of mines as a player so I wanted to see him do well. I think we've given him a fair crack, he's been well backed financially by the board but our recruitment has only been sporadically successful. Success this season has revolved around Naismith, without him we have been poor. The football has been miserable for months, particularly at home. 

While there may be a handful of pure "Levein haters" as you put it most people I speak to feel the same as me, sad at how things have panned out but convinced we need a change this summer. 

Edited by Jodami

• Replies 20k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Spoleto

• Pasquale for King

• Alex Kintner

• JamboAl

1 hour ago, husref musemic said:

hmmm Gretna and max Vlad make that a different final. but all the same a cup winning manager. One of the eight in what ...130 years.

Pre 98 i was convinced id never see us lift any cup. now I've seen 3. 

JJ and Paulo (5th in 2012) should be carried to games in sedan chairs. As should Craig Levein if he wins. 

The demolishing of Hibs in the semi not count?

4 hours ago, It should have been ten said:

It’s clear some hate Levein more than they love the club.

Slavering drivel (to quote you)

Edited by Thomaso

husref musemic
23 minutes ago, Gambo said:

The demolishing of Hibs in the semi not count?

fair point. he gets a chair too

JamboGraham
17 minutes ago, Jodami said:

Fair enough Toque I can see where you're coming from. We are probably of a similar age as I have watched all of these teams and go back to Moncur and Ford as a kid. 

My personal take on things is that football has changed significantly. There is little chance to build a team over a longer period of time as players only stay at clubs for an average of 2 to 3 years. That being the case your manager needs to come up with a system that they can fit players into. Levein has a system but it involves the ball going from back to front fairly directly. That's not how our youth teams play at the club and you saw the evidence of that by the way Cochrane and Smith tried to play football first half today. A different head coach in place who focussed on moving the ball through transition quicker in the first team would be a better fit for bringing players through. I don't see any evidence of that in the first team at the minute so I wonder what our first team coaches work on. I would not like to see us go forward with someone like Robbo, I think we could unearth someone relatively experienced who was first and foremost a training ground coach. Our coaching staff are inexperienced so if you kept them maybe they could be developed. 

Obviously given my age Levein was a big hero of mines as a player so I wanted to see him do well. I think we've given him a fair crack, he's been well backed financially by the board but our recruitment has only been sporadically successful. Success this season has revolved around Naismith, without him we have been poor. The football has been miserable for months, particularly at home. 

While there may be a handful of pure "Levein haters" as you put it most people I speak to feel the same as me, sad at how things have panned out but convinced we need a change this summer. 

A fascinating post...I share ToqueJambo’s view that I would love to see a long term build and am prepared to wait for it. However, so much of what you say I recognise and have to agree with. Much has been said of the high number of signings into the club in recent years but when you actually look at the totals there isn’t that much difference between the top six clubs. I suppose we have to ask why is that, are well all getting it wrong season after season?

The top six squads all have a blend of some academy graduates, some higher quality loans, some experienced old heads and some general generic SPFL pros. So in that group you have the inconsistency that comes from the graduates, the extreme short term nature of the loan signings, the twilight of old heads and the blandness of the generic players.

So can we truly look to build a squad and team in the style that we love? Or is the modern game in Scotland that you need a manger who rather than having a philosophy and recruits to it, will simply try and attract the highest quality players available at the time and find a style that gets the most out of the current group whilst accepting that a significant core of the group will change from season to season or even window to window?

siegementality
4 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

He was still ill today, almost didn’t play. Bug started with Clare last Saturday and has been doing the rounds all week. Several players missed reserve game on Monday as a result. Soutar didn’t look fit/well today. 

So Clare, as well as being pish, was the catalyst of some of the squad missing out through illness, fecking brilliant!!!

siegementality
1 hour ago, JamboGraham said:

Much has been said of the high number of signings into the club in recent years but when you actually look at the totals there isn’t that much difference between the top six clubs. I suppose we have to ask why is that, are well all getting it wrong season after season?

Well we are definitely the 6th worst at getting it wrong! And for the last two seasons!

Edited by siegementality

i wish jj was my dad
11 hours ago, mitch41 said:

Wrong the criticism Levein receives is for the love of the team which strengthens the club. Levein was caught out today with his lack of responding to the way the game was going. He is out of his depth.

His changes were on the button as far as I could see. We might not have been great but nothing wrong with the way we set up or finished the game.

4 hours ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

His changes were on the button as far as I could see. We might not have been great but nothing wrong with the way we set up or finished the game.

I think the point being made is that his changes came too late.  Hibs were on top and everybody could see a goal was coming - that was the time to change BEFORE they scored.

It was obvious Clare was sleep walking through the game (again!) and Uche needed someone to play up with him, but again Levein waits until we are a goal down before making a change.

Once the changes were made we got back in the game, scored and had them on the back foot, but we ran out of time to get the winner.

13 hours ago, husref musemic said:

hmmm Gretna and max Vlad make that a different final. but all the same a cup winning manager. One of the eight in what ...130 years.

Pre 98 i was convinced id never see us lift any cup. now I've seen 3. 

JJ and Paulo (5th in 2012) should be carried to games in sedan chairs. As should Craig Levein if he wins. 

And yet after all these years since Hearts were formed we have only won the Scottish Cup 8 times which for a club 

Hearts size playing in a small pond like Scotland is very poor and all down to being mismanaged by Directors who 

acted like the SFA blazers INCOMPETENT. Everything is now in place for a top quality management team to come in 

and take our team to the top of Scottish Football. All the facilities to support our team/club will be in place in the 

summer ready for a successful season except a manager and his staff who are up to the Hearts job. Our fans are 

crying out for a team that excites us and puts in 100% every game home and away.

The truth has to be faced-up to and I know many fans won’t like this post but I know they will want success for 

Hearts because we may have different views on how to get there but that’s the beauty of JambosKickback.

Yesterday we battled away for a draw, probably a fair result given the chances for both teams. They had a bit more of the game but could do nothing with it, missed penalty etc.

Nothing has changed imo, Levein cannot take us forward, he simply has us as an average mid table team, occasionally punching above our weight and getting a 4th position in the league,  but mostly 5th and 6th. I want more than that, and with our resources we should be doing much better. 

Phil Dunphy

I actually think the result and performance yesterday makes things even more frustrating. 

We showed that that we can play a bit and do the dirty work too. We just don’t do it often enough. 

BOBTHEBRUCE

We seem to play slightly better when there's a sickness bug going around ?

We will never have enough of a goal threat while we insist on starting with only one recognised striker. Why can't our manager see this? 

I don't even want to say his name anymore. 

15 hours ago, Finlay James said:

Great post. Levein knows that he won't be in charge long term, he is laying the foundations that mean those in charge over the next 10-20 years have the infrastructure to challenge for honours on a continual basis.

Hes starting a change process and removing him will only disrupt that.  That said, I agree that he should have managed the squad better in spite of the injuries.

His management of the club is truly shocking 

How many duds have we signed its beyond a joke 

My view is he is doing a terrible job and we won’t move forward until he is gone 

siegementality
5 hours ago, NB GIN said:

My view is he is doing a terrible job and we won’t move forward until he is gone 

Hard to disagree.

Boo hoo, I don't like levein so I'm going to tell everyone about it over and over and over and over. Boo hoo.

5 hours ago, NB GIN said:

Thankfully, in the grand scheme of things, yours, and other fans, views dont really count when it comes to management appointments and the running of the club. 

Cruyff Turn

It seems he’ll be here next season. I think we should see who we sign and how things go in the first 10 games next season. No point greeting about it. 

20 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Thankfully, in the grand scheme of things, yours, and other fans, views dont really count when it comes to management appointments and the running of the club. 

This is the guy who said yesterday we never play the same team twice on the trot.  That suggests he maybe wanted us to play the same team as failed against Rangers and also ignores the fact players get injured/sick.  He also wanted to play Ollie Lee.  Asked to give us HIS team selection before yesterday's game, he ran away with his tail between his legs.

Sniff sniff

i wish jj was my dad
6 hours ago, BOBTHEBRUCE said:

We seem to play slightly better when there's a sickness bug going around ?

We will never have enough of a goal threat while we insist on starting with only one recognised striker. Why can't our manager see this? 

I don't even want to say his name anymore. 

Which other recognised striker should have started?

Inch Hearts
13 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Which other recognised striker should have started?

Maclean based on how we looked as a team when he came on the week before? 

i wish jj was my dad
2 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

Maclean based on how we looked as a team when he came on the week before? 

He has been getting slated for months.

45 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

This is the guy who said yesterday we never play the same team twice on the trot.  That suggests he maybe wanted us to play the same team as failed against Rangers and also ignores the fact players get injured/sick.  He also wanted to play Ollie Lee.  Asked to give us HIS team selection before yesterday's game, he ran away with his tail between his legs.

Sniff sniff

Certainly never positive about Hearts in his posts, almost always negative so you could be right. 

Inch Hearts
41 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

He has been getting slated for months.

True but I would have started him based on last weeks cameo where the whole team improved when he came on as the shape was better.

BOBTHEBRUCE
1 minute ago, Inch Hearts said:

True but I would have started him based on last weeks cameo where the whole team improved when he came on as the shape was better.

Exactly. 

The whole current set up has been done to death and doesn't work. 

i wish jj was my dad
38 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

I wouldn"t have but all about opinions. Ad a matter of interest who would you have dropped to let him.start?  Clare?

Inch Hearts
28 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

I wouldn"t have but all about opinions. Ad a matter of interest who would you have dropped to let him.start?  Clare?

Yes, I wouldn’t have started Clare yesterday. 

siegementality

Better managers have been emptied for this form.

A lucky few draws in the Scottish Cup has been Levein’s saviour.

D9E88D60-C78A-472F-9FA3-D0CEE5E5EAA4.jpeg

1 hour ago, siegementality said:

Just like he didn’t get a massive raise and contract extension for the great form at the start of the season (no interest in posting that table I see) he shouldn’t get sacked for 10 games of the worst form.

Luckily the grownups in charge of the club will make decisions based on the season as a whole.

Edited by Guest

siegementality
5 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Just like he didn’t get a massive raise and contract extension for the great form at the start of the season (no interest in posting that table I see) he shouldn’t get sacked for 10 games of the worst form.

Luckily the grownups in charge of the club will make decisions based on the season as a whole.

It’s where the race finishes, not where you are 10 games in. And it’s only showing the last ten games. Something tells me the last 15 or 20 games form won’t be much better!!

Allowayjambo1874
On 29/04/2019 at 19:20, Cruyff Turn said:

It seems he’ll be here next season. I think we should see who we sign and how things go in the first 10 games next season. No point greeting about it. 

This was exactly what was said about cathro, gave him another transfer window and start of season and it cost us big style. 

Allowayjambo1874
7 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

The ‘grown ups’ should be able to look at the big picture in that case and not pick and choose small elements to suit agendas. Turgid football, 6th place (2 lower than target), easiest cup draw in 40 years v cup final, excellent start and injuries. 

Any other owner/manager relationship and I think the writing would be on the wall for CL. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
On 29/04/2019 at 19:20, Cruyff Turn said:

:lol:

every year until the end of time.

Voiceofreasonfortheseason

I cant believe there has been a shift to "He will be here next season" on this forum.  We just seem to be accepting it now too. :sadrobbo:

Edited by Voiceofreasonfortheseason

Cruyff Turn
4 hours ago, Allowayjambo1874 said:

This was exactly what was said about cathro, gave him another transfer window and start of season and it cost us big style. 

There’s always that possibility but it’s out of our hands. I think there has been more discontent voiced over Levein than there was over Cathro. The board will know this, Levein will know this, yet he’s still here, still signing players for next season. Of course, Levein could just be trolling **** out of the support and is going to stand down in the summer. ?‍♂️

4 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

:lol:

every year until the end of time.

:laugh2:

innerjambo

You have to remember that what the fans think isn't important to Ann Budge or Craig Levein. All they are interested in is taking our money, and carrying on regardless. 

On 29/04/2019 at 19:25, JamboAl said:

Sniff sniff

Very good. So anyone critical of the current management is a hubz fan aye? You police this board looking for any criticism and argue that everything is fantastic with our club and no criticism is warranted. You are the biggest “happy clapper” in the place. There probably are some vermin, but the vast majority of people who are critical on these boards are Hearts fans who are frustrated with the underachievement on the playing side of things over the last few years and are not prepared to paper over things like you seem to be happy to. 

14 hours ago, siegementality said:

Has Ann Budge and her Board realised how bad out Hearts team is performing.

With the talent and quality of our squad what does she think is going wrong.

Even a blind budgie can tell by just listening to the criticism coming from the 

stands that Levein and his Bootroom have come to the end of the road. Even 

if we end up winning the Scottish Cup the management need to be replaced.

No more excuses about more transfer windows, injuries, referees ect. we 

need a management team who can take us up to the level Hearts should 

be at. We all know Craig Levein wants the best for Hearts and works hard 

trying to get a successful team on the pitch but he just can’t deliver what 

our club needs as he lacks that skill. Performances and results prove my 

point. I’d love CL to stay as a Director but only when a new manager is 

appointed who would only be contractually accountable to the CEO.

8 minutes ago, HMFC 86 said:

Very good. So anyone critical of the current management is a hubz fan aye? You police this board looking for any criticism and argue that everything is fantastic with our club and no criticism is warranted. You are the biggest “happy clapper” in the place. There probably are some vermin, but the vast majority of people who are critical on these boards are Hearts fans who are frustrated with the underachievement on the playing side of things over the last few years and are not prepared to paper over things like you seem to be happy to. 

So you have policed the board to discern that there is a vast majority. Sniff sniff.

I have NEVER argued everything is fantastic.  You are the biggest invention merchant on this board making up fairy tales to suit your agenda.  I have said that relatively serious injuries to our best players simultaneously have disrupted our season and people need to understand this.  I would be highly critical of the management if we had been dealt an "average" hand with injuries and finished 6th but that did not happen.

Now please, no more Hans Christian Andersen stuff.

5 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

So you have policed the board to discern that there is a vast majority. Sniff sniff.

I have NEVER argued everything is fantastic.  You are the biggest invention merchant on this board making up fairy tales to suit your agenda.  I have said that relatively serious injuries to our best players simultaneously have disrupted our season and people need to understand this.  I would be highly critical of the management if we had been dealt an "average" hand with injuries and finished 6th but that did not happen.

Now please, no more Hans Christian Andersen stuff.

Hilarious Al, now I'm a hubz fan as well. No point debating with a child like yourself. I'll leave you with your fairy tales.

Cruyff Turn
32 minutes ago, innerjambo said:

You have to remember that what the fans think isn't important to Ann Budge or Craig Levein. All they are interested in is taking our money, and carrying on regardless. 

:tlj:

25 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Yes Mitch, i’m sure they are well aware. 

The reality is, he will be the manager next season. That is something we have to live with. 

9 minutes ago, HMFC 86 said:

Hilarious Al, now I'm a hubz fan as well. No point debating with a child like yourself. I'll leave you with your fairy tales.

You're the child with the fairy tales, ignoring facts (injuries to key players) to suit your agenda.  I'll leave it to others to decide if you're a hubz fan, based on your posts but it's good you accept they post the same drivel as you.

BTW Do you think we have missed Naismith like Spurs miss Kane or is that fantasy?

Mr Elwood P
35 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

What targets do you think Ann Budge set Craig Levein for the season?

Based on statements from the club previously regarding targets I think it would have been:

League Cup: semi final / final = achieved 

Pre split league campaign: Top 6 = achieved 

Post split league campaign: 2nd - 4th = failed

Scottish Cup: semi final / final = achieved 

It is quite intriguing that the anti Levein camp are constantly factoring in all the lower league teams we've played to diminish our two great cup runs but then refuse to factor in the injuries we've had and the clear detrimental impact this had had on the league campaign. Anyone, with half a brain, who watched Spurs v Ajax last night would have been struck by just how toothless Spurs looked missing their front two of Son and Kane. That was Spurs with a £25m replacement in Moura and a £12m replacement in Llorente. Spurs panicked and resorted to shelling balls into the box to no avail. If a team who have just spent £1bn on a new stadium cannot absorb the loss of two key players, why is there an expectation that Hearts should be able to?

13 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Based on statements from the club previously regarding targets I think it would have been:

It is quite intriguing that the anti Levein camp are constantly factoring in all the lower league teams we've played to diminish our two great cup runs but then refuse to factor in the injuries we've had and the clear detrimental impact this had had on the league campaign. Anyone, with half a brain, who watched Spurs v Ajax last night would have been struck by just how toothless Spurs looked missing their front two of Son and Kane. That was Spurs with a £25m replacement in Moura and a £12m replacement in Llorente. Spurs panicked and resorted to shelling balls into the box to no avail. If a team who have just spent £1bn on a new stadium cannot absorb the loss of two key players, why is there an expectation that Hearts should be able to?

That post is a good example of opinion based on fact instead of prejudice.

34 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

:tlj:

Yes Mitch, i’m sure they are well aware. 

The reality is, he will be the manager next season. That is something we have to live with. 

Are you trying to piss everyone off from buying a season ticket because i’d like you 

to post something that will give our suffering fans hope for the future.    ?

24 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

I think the problem is that because we started so well it's clear to see there is potential in the team, the team was playing with more freedom and fans enjoyed watching the team, I remember Demi Mitchell showboating and attempting overhead kicks.  Fast forward a few months and the players look to be under lock and key, terrified to be in possession of the ball.  Our performances against the bottom six have been way below par.  We are able to attract a higher calibre of player than 9 out of the 12 teams, we should be doing better, yes the cup runs have been a positive but if we want to progress and look at challenging at top of table then I don't think we can allow a easy cup run to paper over the cracks.  Is Levein's heart in it? I don't believe so - I think he wants to step aside but he's a stubborn man, he will only do so on his terms.  We need a forward thinking, hungry, ambitious manager to come in and add quality to an already good spine of a team.

Edited by Jambo92

Mr Elwood P
Just now, Jambo92 said:

I think the problem is that because we started so well it's clear to see their is potential in the team, the team was playing with more freedom and fans enjoyed watching the team, I remember Demi Mitchell showboating and attempting overhead kicks.  Fast forward a few months and the players look to be under lock and key, terrified to be in possession of the ball.  Our performances against the bottom six have been way below par.  We are able to attract a higher calibre of player than 9 outta of the 12 teams, we should be doing better, yes the cup runs have been a positive but if we want to progress and look at challenging at top of table then I don't think we can allow a easy cup run to paper over the cracks.  Is Levein's heart in it? I don't believe so - I think he wants to step aside but he's a stubborn man, he will only do so on his terms.  We need a forward thinking, hungry, ambitious manager to come in and add quality to an already good spine of a team.

We had him, MK Dons lured him away. In hindsight that move was a disaster for all three parties. We got Cathro, MK Dons got relegated and Neilson got fired! It would have been interesting to see how he would have developed at Hearts over the last few seasons.

Enzo Chiefo
12 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

That post is a good example of opinion based on fact instead of prejudice.

How can anyone be accused of prejudice when he is being judged after 2 full seasons, campaigns that have delivered 6th place finishes?

5 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

How can anyone be accused of prejudice when he is being judged after 2 full seasons, campaigns that have delivered 6th place finishes?

They manage it somehow.  I don't know their reasons - or yours.

Next, please.

Cruyff Turn
18 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Are you trying to piss everyone off from buying a season ticket because i’d like you 

to post something that will give our suffering fans hope for the future.    ?

People will make their own choices and I don’t believe uptake a ST’s will be the same as last season either. 

The reality is he’s here and building a squad for next season and is looking at signing 4 or 5 players that will make the starting XI better then possibly a few more for the squad I.e. Halkett, possibly Main, Cadden etc...

That’s the hope. Who knows, things might be different, we might be able to sustain our early form throughout the season. 

• JKBMod 12 changed the title to Levein’s time is up...
  • davemclaren pinned and unpinned this topic
  • davemclaren locked this topic