Sean Clare.

Whatever

13 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Never gad a good game in what sense? First half an hour of Hamilton, before being changed position, he was our best player and scored. Ross county he was out best player. 

He did score against Hamilton but he then contributed massively to their second goal by being weak in the challenge. 

He seems to start matches even though he has played poorly the match before and he just doesn’t look motivated to give his all when he is on the park. 

He needs to be taken out the team as we definitely looked a better team without him in it yesterday. 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Spoleto

• Thomaso

• pettigrewsstylist

• Peebo

16 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

All players at our level will make individual mistakes ... but sean has never had a good game imo. Fleeting moments in games but an actual game which he grabbed by the scruff of the neck.. you may be right on the reasons why but doesn’t change the fact he’s a passenger 99% of the time

Genuinely, in the past 11 months, can you talk

me through any Hearts player that has done what you said? We have literally been a side devoid of any of the grit and determination you described. I’d argue that we never brought Sean Clare in to grab games by the scruff of the neck, he’s a luxury player that we would be looking to influence the game or do something special. The only thing he hasn’t really done yet is something special, he’s certainly impacted games in patches. Players at our level will always be inconsistent and may fall in and out of matches, something nearly every person in maroon is guilty of. Sean Clare however, regardless of performance, is called out weekly. Am not arguing that he hasn’t under performed, of course he has, he just isn’t any worse than anyone else. Certainly not 26 pages, 1040+ comments plus an all ready deleted thread, worth. 

14 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I agree. Like I said, a couple of poor games he should be dropped. Decide what his best position is, play him there but if we have better options then drop him. This constantly trying to shoe horn him into different positions is ridiculous. 

That’s Levein all over though. 

Even look at yesterday’s match. 

Hickey played RB, LB and RWB all in the same match. 

The chopping and changing of where players play needs to stop to get any kind of consistency. 

3 minutes ago, Spoleto said:

If someone is better to replace him. 

I don't think there is. 

I've made it quite clear he should be playing in the no.10 with Meshino on the left and Morrison on the right.

Mulraney gives defences something to think about.

Clare does not .

We lack pace as a team.

Mulraney before Clare everytime.

It balances the team better I think.

1 hour ago, Spoleto said:

True. 

But perhaps it should be.

I'm still pushing for Meshino, Clare and Morrison to start on Wednesday. 

Mulraney can spend the time on the training ground learning how to cross to a maroon shirt.

Mulraney at least gets involved enough to be in the position to hit a poor cross. Clare floats about doing next to nothing and barely touches the ball most games. 

19 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

me through any Hearts player that has done what you said? We have literally been a side devoid of any of the grit and determination you described. I’d argue that we never brought Sean Clare in to grab games by the scruff of the neck, he’s a luxury player that we would be looking to influence the game or do something special. The only thing he hasn’t really done yet is something special, he’s certainly impacted games in patches. Players at our level will always be inconsistent and may fall in and out of matches, something nearly every person in maroon is guilty of. Sean Clare however, regardless of performance, is called out weekly. Am not arguing that he hasn’t under performed, of course he has, he just isn’t any worse than anyone else. Certainly not 26 pages, 1040+ comments plus an all ready deleted thread, worth. 

I can't remember exactly what was said about Clare when he signed. But I'm sure there was talk of what he would bring. This didn't happen with Michael Smith, Bozanic or even Haring to use some examples. There was an expectation. This was a coup. We'd done well to sign him over other teams. That's why the thread is never off the first page because fans are bemused and up to now have been underwhelmed. Expectations were created by the club itself.

Edited by Riccarton3

5 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

I can't remember exactly what was said about Clare when he signed. But I'm sure there was talk of what he would bring. This didn't happen with Michael Smith, Bozanic or even Haring to use some examples. There was an expectation. This was a coup. We'd done well to sign him over other teams. That's why the thread is never off the first page because fans are bemused and up to now have been underwhelmed. Expectations were created by the club itself.

The club said that he had offers from premiership sides and chose us. Sean himself never created that expectation and certainly never asked for the added scrutiny. I understand that people expect more, I expect more. I get annoyed that he above everyone else gets constantly slaughtered for performing to the same level as everyone else. 

Also worth noting that the club said Whelan and Damour had offers from bigger clubs than Hearts. Same with Halkett and Meshino. It’s all just part and parcel of signing new players. Like when Celtic sign someone from the outer reaches of Mongolia and he’s a child hood Celtic fan. Used to watch the games on the only telly in his town, 400 miles away from his hut. Helps sell the story. 

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
10 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

Spot on mate, and when you couple that with the fact he is never out the team, that is the reason there is this level of response. It's not rocket science.

1 minute ago, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

Spot on mate, and when you couple that with the fact he is never out the team, that is the reason there is this level of response. It's not rocket science.

That's just ridiculous. 

So he is singled out because he's not as good as you wanted him to be. Not because he is any worse than anybody else?

Meshino put every corner straight into their keepers hands on Sunday. Not a peep in protest!

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
1 minute ago, Spoleto said:

That's just ridiculous. 

So he is singled out because he's not as good as you wanted him to be. Not because he is any worse than anybody else?

Meshino put every corner straight into their keepers hands on Sunday. Not a peep in protest!

I don't think that's ridiculous. If you're sold a Ferarri and it's not even as good as your Ford Fiesta you wouldn't be happy no?

5 minutes ago, Spoleto said:

That's just ridiculous. 

I wonder if  Man City are interested in Clare?

6 minutes ago, Spoleto said:

That's just ridiculous. 

He is consistently one of if not the worst performers in the team.

And Meshino has not played 50 games yet so are you not the one being harsh.

50 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

I think our form dipped dramatically when he was introduced to the team.. and I think unlike other players we have persistent with him despite his poor form.. not sure why he gets special treatment. That last point is in part why this thread is so long. 

1 hour ago, Riccarton3 said:

Perhaps he's been in  a number of different positions because Levein doesn't know what his worst position is yet. 

🤣 made me laugh. The answer , so far is right back. But given time I'm sure he would make a shit central defender.

22 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

The club said that he had offers from premiership sides and chose us. Sean himself never created that expectation and certainly never asked for the added scrutiny. I understand that people expect more, I expect more. I get annoyed that he above everyone else gets constantly slaughtered for performing to the same level as everyone else. 

Also worth noting that the club said Whelan and Damour had offers from bigger clubs than Hearts. Same with Halkett and Meshino. It’s all just part and parcel of signing new players. Like when Celtic sign someone from the outer reaches of Mongolia and he’s a child hood Celtic fan. Used to watch the games on the only telly in his town, 400 miles away from his hut. Helps sell the story. 

The Premiership interest after 5 games with Sheffield, loan spells at Accrington, Bury (RIP) and  Gillingham seems fanciful. 

i'm not sure if injury has really knocked back his physique, too, because he looks too weak at present.

I would think his level is below Championship in England given his career to date. if folks took this as the level, their expectations would be lowered, tbf.

If you look at the Sheffield Wednesday forums their fans thought almost exactly the way we do.. lots of talent, flatters to deceive, usually ineffective - hugely frustrating player.. Sean Flair.. they were not really upset to see him go 

1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

All players at our level will make individual mistakes ... but sean has never had a good game imo. Fleeting moments in games but an actual game which he grabbed by the scruff of the neck.. you may be right on the reasons why but doesn’t change the fact he’s a passenger 99% of the time

Bang on mate . I looked on the league cup games for him to really show that bit of class against lesser teams gaining confidence and kick on for the season starting in earnest but even these games seemed to pass him by as well . Very frustrating player 

pettigrewsstylist

Project has failed. Get rid asap and use wages for someone who will tackle and chase if nothing else. This is Scotland, cant carry his type of special talent.

I think what Clare needs to do is really bust a gut in a match even if that means he has to be subbed after 50-60 mins. He has a habit of standing or trotting around as if he is watching the game. The lad has some lovely touches but we need our players to be making themselves available for a pass when we have the ball and closing down when we don't, not standing around waiting for something to happen. I have to add that he is not the only one...

He also suffers from this problem and it's not his fault: he's one of a number of players and coaches that CL has promoted and hyped  beyond their capabilities. I wont go into names because there are a few, and we know who they are.

On the other hand decent players who could do a job have been side-lined and ignored. We know who they are too.

Edited by upgotheheads

I think our form dipped dramatically when he was introduced to the team.. and I think unlike other players we have persistent with him despite his poor form.. not sure why he gets special treatment. That last point is in part why this thread is so long. 

Our form dipped when Naismith went out injured and we’ve struggled ever since, pure coincidence that it coincides with Sean Clare’s arrival. He wasn’t fit when he arrived but was flung in and has never really looked fit since. He then has a pure waste of a pre season as his manager wanted him to become a box to box midfielder playing in a centre two, it never worked and never looked like working. He has played in hundreds of positions and seems to be the go to man when the manager wants to try round hole and square peg type set ups etc etc. He’s under performed recently and will definitely benefit from a rest. It’s unfair, in my opinion, some of the criticism he seems to carry. 

2 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Never gad a good game in what sense? First half an hour of Hamilton, before being changed position, he was our best player and scored. Ross county he was out best player. 

Don’t let that get in the way of a good scapegoat pile on, mate. He didn’t celebrate the win hard enough on Sunday. :mad: 

17 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

Our form dipped when Naismith went out injured and we’ve struggled ever since, pure coincidence that it coincides with Sean Clare’s arrival. He wasn’t fit when he arrived but was flung in and has never really looked fit since. He then has a pure waste of a pre season as his manager wanted him to become a box to box midfielder playing in a centre two, it never worked and never looked like working. He has played in hundreds of positions and seems to be the go to man when the manager wants to try round hole and square peg type set ups etc etc. He’s under performed recently and will definitely benefit from a rest. It’s unfair, in my opinion, some of the criticism he seems to carry. 

I agree with you on the many positions thing.. I think he’s looked good in none of them, but he does have undoubted talent. All the more irritating. I think I’ve made my point other than to say he would be no where near our strongest 11 

13 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

I agree with you on the many positions thing.. I think he’s looked good in none of them, but he does have undoubted talent. All the more irritating. I think I’ve made my point other than to say he would be no where near our strongest 11 

I don’t disagree with your point about the starting 11. 

Guest ToqueJambo

If you look at the Sheffield Wednesday forums their fans thought almost exactly the way we do.. lots of talent, flatters to deceive, usually ineffective - hugely frustrating player.. Sean Flair.. they were not really upset to see him go 

Five games and one goal for Wednesday. Good to know it's not just this forum that's got lots of people who make up their minds about young players within a few games. Given his lack of experience the "lots of talent" comment seems to be the most important one. I think we should give Levein and the more experienced lads in the midfield time to help him develop it. Booing him off probably won't help.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Captain Canada

A better manager will get more from Clare. Playing him in defence is just crazy. I agree he needs to do a lot more but Mulraney and Damour were worse than Clare yesterday and aren't getting the same negativity. 

He never hyped himself up. I spoke to him just after he signed and he's a very humble guy. I think he's lacking in confidence and it wouldn't do any harm to take him out of the spotlight and make him fight for his place. 

Are we watching the same player. Clare has been one of the few in the team who can skip past players with ease. The problem that people perceive is entirely the result of him being played in all sorts of positions including right back, rather than the one that suits him best, just behind the strikers.

3 hours ago, busby1985 said:

The boy needs a position and needs to focus on purely playing that position. He’s been a right back, a winger, a striker, an attacking midfielder and a centre mid. His desire to play and try contribute is what is killing him. He is being used as a jack of all trades and is sadly a master of none, as it stands. Pre season was a waste for him as we had this mental plan of making him a box to box midfielder, he was never going to be that guy. Some time out the side will help him. The boy has all the attributes to be a top player, I hope we see that promise with us. 

People highlighting that he never chased back or gave the ball away 🙈🙈 they all must’ve missed Mikey Smith get skinned and just stop running in the 2nd half, they almost scored from that. Hickey being out of position a few times almost leading to goals, same with Mulraney. Same folk missed Whelan barely move an inch shutting down Malan before he banged one in the net. Would be the same folk that were saying Clare never celebrated either Hearts goal when the highlights clearly showing Clare celebrate both. The obsession with calling him out after every single match is embarrassing. He has performed as bad as loads of other hearts players over the months but they don’t have a 26 page, 1040 + comment thread.

Someone else said that but it was Smith who didn't close Mallan down, Whelan was further up the pitch after being beaten in the initial challenge by their #6 which led to Mallan picking it up

19 minutes ago, Prof said:

Are we watching the same player. Clare has been one of the few in the team who can skip past players with ease. The problem that people perceive is entirely the result of him being played in all sorts of positions including right back, rather than the one that suits him best, just behind the strikers.

Exactly this. He should be playing No. 10 with Meshino on the left and Morrison on the right. All 3 intelligent players who cn take defenders on and go past them.  

Should be benched. Will benefit the team and clare himself. Can't get in every week if you're ineffective. 

Have Meshino and Mulraney driving at players and drawing fouls. Clare can come in late in games to see if he can make an impact when the other team gets leggy. Talent is there, but his effectiveness is low to be kind. 

On 22/09/2019 at 20:53, vegas-voss said:

Was he actually good there 

He showed glimpses that he could be a player. Never had regular football but everyone was disappointed when he left.

Was surprised when he ended up in Scotland.

The trouble is in his head he's a genius.

56 minutes ago, Owlvisiting said:

He showed glimpses that he could be a player. Never had regular football but everyone was disappointed when he left.

Was surprised when he ended up in Scotland.

The trouble is in his head he's a genius.

I actually feel sometimes there is a bit of a mental issue there.Like he knows he can do so much better but can't figure out how he ain't doing it.

2 hours ago, Captain Canada said:

A better manager will get more from Clare. Playing him in defence is just crazy. I agree he needs to do a lot more but Mulraney and Damour were worse than Clare yesterday and aren't getting the same negativity. 

He never hyped himself up. I spoke to him just after he signed and he's a very humble guy. I think he's lacking in confidence and it wouldn't do any harm to take him out of the spotlight and make him fight for his place. 

I suppose Mulraney and damour have both had good games, whereas with clare, he's poor every week. He would maybe get a bit of leeway if he was busting a gut but saunters about looking uninterested.

Jambo, Goodbye
5 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Penalties don’t count now? Let’s deduct Robbo’s and Hartley’s penalties too...

Okay so you're missing my point through the context of the previous posts/arguments defending Clare.

Ie.penalties being used to talk up a player; not when using them to portray a poor player as some sort of goal machine.

It's simply not a sincere way to compare two midfielders. (Clare and Mulraney if you haven't read the thread)

Hartley and Robbo were class,  with or without their penalties. They could score from open play. They also put in performances

Give clare 100 penalties a season,  he's still producing 5/10 displays week after week for the other 89 minutes of the game. 

If all of Hartley and Robbo's goals had came from the spot,  they'd not be the legends that they are. 

So is Clare better than some are making out,  due to scoring a few penalties? 

Naw! 

annushorribilis III
2 hours ago, OTT said:

Should be benched. Will benefit the team and clare himself. Can't get in every week if you're ineffective. 

Have Meshino and Mulraney driving at players and drawing fouls. Clare can come in late in games to see if he can make an impact when the other team gets leggy. Talent is there, but his effectiveness is low to be kind. 

No. 

Mulraney is hopeless and it's a sad indicator of where the club is now that he is deemed worthy of a game : he is hopeless. 

Clare - who knows. The poor guy is played all over the place and the criticism he got on here early doors on Sunday was a disgrace.

Meshino ? Who knows

And then Naismith comes back .

And then Haring comes back.

I can only assume "the talent is there " is directed at Naismith (maybe the other absentees too ?) because it wasn't there on Sunday. 

The guys never had a position to call his own. Literally played numerous positions.

i don’t think he’s playing well and probably needs some time out but fek me the insults are a disgrace imho. At Easter Road on Sunday I was embarrassed at the few who booed him. Don’t get me wrong PHM were all there on Sunday but I personally hate that patter. Does no good whatsoever 

6 hours ago, annushorribilis III said:

No. 

Mulraney is hopeless and it's a sad indicator of where the club is now that he is deemed worthy of a game : he is hopeless. 

Clare - who knows. The poor guy is played all over the place and the criticism he got on here early doors on Sunday was a disgrace.

Meshino ? Who knows

And then Naismith comes back .

And then Haring comes back.

I can only assume "the talent is there " is directed at Naismith (maybe the other absentees too ?) because it wasn't there on Sunday. 

Whelan

Hickey

Ryotaro

6 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

The guys never had a position to call his own. Literally played numerous positions.

i don’t think he’s playing well and probably needs some time out but fek me the insults are a disgrace imho. At Easter Road on Sunday I was embarrassed at the few who booed him. Don’t get me wrong PHM were all there on Sunday but I personally hate that patter. Does no good whatsoever 

Nailed it. Folk are wondering what might be holding him back mentally? Maybe it’s the fact he arrived injured, was played all over the shop, and gets constant abuse from the stands and online 🤔

42 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Nailed it. Folk are wondering what might be holding him back mentally? Maybe it’s the fact he arrived injured, was played all over the shop, and gets constant abuse from the stands and online 🤔

Absolutely correct. In fact the infantile booing that has become much more prevalent will hardly give the players more confidence.

AlphonseCapone
17 hours ago, Hearts007 said:

Clare is just poor at the moment and i agree with most people on here and also Neil McCann on sportsound has pointed it out several times " shows no enthusiasm" .Micheal Stewart on sportscene said it is like playing with a man down as well.

Aye but they are both notorious racists.

15 hours ago, Spoleto said:

In your opinion, which is wrong, IMO.

Here's another stat from 2018/19

Clare - 6 Yellow cards.

Mulraney - 1 Yellow Card.

Which player gets stuck in?

😆 Game over. What you've actually proven is that Sean Clare is also shite at tackling amongst his other inadequacies.

3 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

😆 Game over. What you've actually proven is that Sean Clare is also shite at tackling amongst his other inadequacies.

Neither of you have proven anything tbh. 

AlphonseCapone
54 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Nah I disagree mate. I'm not saying that is not an issue now but Sean Clare was poor long before it became such a big thing to say so.

When he arrived it was with this fanfare, he'd knocked back English premier league teams and Levein made a big deal out of his capture so the expectations were set particularly high, by the player himself and the club. Now the problem with that is you're giving yourself a much higher platform to fall from if it doesn't work out.

I remember when he was first playing there was a buzz about seeing him, and folk shouting only half jokingly, "just give the ball to Clare". It's not dissimilar to the buzz around Meshino arriving. Even after the first few games folk were still behind him because most folk understood about the injury and easing back in. But look where we are now, he's not really improved a lot. I do think he has improved a little but nowhere near what we expected or need.

If he'd been dropped when necessary then this would have removed some of the heat but he's got this perception of being undroppable. That's poor man management. His other problem is that he is one of these people that tends to look slow or lazy in their movement. There are quite a few players like that, but it doesn't always mean they are slow or lazy but with Clare there is a definite lack of fight, he's weak in the tackle. So when folk see him move the way he does (not his fault) then go in weak to a tackle (his fault) it combines into an overall feeling of he's not trying and doesn't care.

The other thing, on here, is that his critics and his supporters are both very strong in their views and he's became very polarising so the debates tend to get more extreme. I'm guilty of it. Some of the harshest, and not always fair, things I've said about Clare are in response to what I see are his uber defenders.

I don't think he's a bad guy, I think he wants to do well, I think he lacks confidence and it's nothing personal but in my opinion, from watching and playing football over many years, he lacks some of the key ingredients to make it as a top footballer. I don't think he's good enough for our level but maybe Scottish Championship level.

Btw, I'd absolutely love him to prove me wrong. And I'll hold my hands up if he does. I'll go insofar as saying to you, if one of us remembers, though I'm not sure on how to measure it, but if he turns his career around with us I'll donate £50 go big hearts.

1 hour ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

The abuse is verging on the ridiculous.  There is no doubt that he didn't have the best of games on Sunday but booing the laddie just will not help.  It's time he was take out of the firing line and given a chance to rebuild his confidence. The boy ha s talent, there is no doubt about that, but he has to get more involved.  I think that the physical side of the game here came as a big surprise to him.

1 hour ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Is there something holding him back physically ? FWIW I also think the booing is out of order. He’s shite but he’s our shite. 

Captain Canada
8 hours ago, Paulp74 said:

I suppose Mulraney and damour have both had good games, whereas with clare, he's poor every week. He would maybe get a bit of leeway if he was busting a gut but saunters about looking uninterested.

I think that's where the manager needs to step in and be very clear about what's required and the consequences of not doing that. 

I obviously don't know if CL has had that kind of conversation or not but the fact he's never been dropped probably says it all.

He seems to be playing within himself. He has got talent and I think it's a lack of confidence holding him back. He needs a spell on the sidelines now and to be made aware of what's needed as a minimum requirement each week. 

4 minutes ago, Deevers said:

The abuse is verging on the ridiculous.  There is no doubt that he didn't have the best of games on Sunday but booing the laddie just will not help.  It's time he was take out of the firing line and given a chance to rebuild his confidence. The boy ha s talent, there is no doubt about that, but he has to get more involved.  I think that the physical side of the game here came as a big surprise to him.

He was and is vastly overrated , and has been since he came here . He needs moved on for the sake of his own career. If your good enough then the physical side of the game shouldn’t really matter , its all part of the game in the midfield 

There's no denying that we were vastly improved when Clare came off although it was also down to changing the shape and getting Smith and Hickey back on their respective good sides of the pitch.  Clare needs a spell on the bench and needs to fight his way back in.  He has been getting it far too easy being a regular pick.  I agree with Pundits who say he is anonymous for large parts of games.  

AlphonseCapone
1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

Neither of you have proven anything tbh. 

Makes sense since I wasn't trying to prove anything.

22 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Makes sense since I wasn't trying to prove anything.

Really?

To quote your own words "Some of the harshest, and not always fair, things I've said about Clare are in response to what I see are his uber defenders."

So you admit to making ridiculous and false statements which are unjust. 

Thanks for confirming what we already knew.