Sean Clare.

Whatever

Dusk_Till_Dawn
3 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Don't believe that myself. But IF he did look like he didn’t want to be here, why should he? He gets pelters from the stands and on social media week in week out, even when he plays well (MoM vs both County and Hamilton for me) while his peers in the team playing at the same level as him if not worse get nothing of the sort. Peers older and far more experienced than him, still a young player learning his trade I might add. Do you think he’ll talk to players like Meshino and say “you’ll love it here mate, they give young guys new to the league a lot of encouragement and don’t get on your back unnecessarily”? Of course he won’t. Wonder what he would say if asked though.

Meshino probably can’t speak English so I wouldn’t worry.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Spoleto

• Thomaso

• pettigrewsstylist

• Peebo

20 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

You're entitled to your opinion of course but I have to disagree. (On the footballer part) But that’s opinions of course, they don’t have to be the same.

Absolutely, and I'm not willing him to fail here, I'd love for him to ram it up me by putting in some really fantastic displays. Here's hoping. 

6 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Don't believe that myself. But IF he did look like he didn’t want to be here, why should he? He gets pelters from the stands and on social media week in week out, even when he plays well (MoM vs both County and Hamilton for me) while his peers in the team playing at the same level as him if not worse get nothing of the sort. Peers older and far more experienced than him, still a young player learning his trade I might add. Do you think he’ll talk to players like Meshino and say “you’ll love it here mate, they give young guys new to the league a lot of encouragement and don’t get on your back unnecessarily”? Of course he won’t. Wonder what he would say if asked though.

You're having a laugh mate.  He did his usual 5 minutes of effort and then disappeared for the rest of the game.

He was the best Hearts player by far in the first half against Hamilton, but second half he did the usual, missing-in-action. 

4 minutes ago, Yoda said:

You're having a laugh mate.  He did his usual 5 minutes of effort and then disappeared for the rest of the game.

He was the best Hearts player by far in the first half against Hamilton, but second half he did the usual, missing-in-action. 

It wasn’t just the second half though was it? It was after Meshino came on and Clare had to change position yet again,

As proven at the weekend Sean Claire is at his best in attack mode. He has been asked to play a more negative role to his positives and has never hid  He is shite on the back foot simple

VagabondJambo

The reason that Clare is consistently selected for the team, is because he is one of our better players.  JKB keeps labelling him as “lazy” – preposterous!  The guy’s heart is in the right place, he gives his all, he moves to whatever position the coaches demand.  Sure, where he is placed is not always the best positions for him, like Saturday, when they moved him to the opposite left side, and further back, when he had been very effective in his first-half role/position.  And, sure, he has a "different" running/movement style - it's different, not bad or wrong!
Since he has been with us, I have observed he is a “space” player (no, not a space cadet!).  He typically tries to take up position in space (not tight to some opponent) to receive a pass, to make a move forward.  Unfortunately, a lot of the time, our team/ball-play is not smart enough to look for guys in open space.
If you truly watch him, he is predominantly a forward-focussed player – not a sideways and backwards passer like FAR too many of our team.
As I said, the guy’s heart is in the right place.  He is gutted when he makes mistakes, but picks himself up quickly.  He is a team player – watch how he interacts with fellow players who score, get injured, or are substituted.  He is a future captain (elsewhere, if not Hearts) – you heard it here first!
As several folks have pointed out, Clare is being picked on, for whatever reason, way more than he deserves, and way more than other players who DO deserve it (Berra, Brandon, White – is it a coincidence that these are defenders?!  And yet, Clare gets the blame for the second goal on Saturday – preposterous!).
Yes, better team management, better organisation, better tactics, will bring out more in Clare.
However, let’s not destroy this boy’s already-fragile confidence.  He IS one of our better players, and WILL be an even better player with the right team-mates and tactics around him.
Let’s SUPPORT and ENCOURAGE him, rather than picking on him, putting him down, and having a Sean Clare thread after every single game!

16 minutes ago, AJAMBO said:

As proven at the weekend Sean Claire is at his best in attack mode. He has been asked to play a more negative role to his positives and has never hid  He is shite on the back foot simple

I agree he seems to come alive when we are going forward with a bit of pace (Saturdays goal).

However we generally (to be mild) play a defensive game and may actually play the game zonally which means players are seriously restricted in what and where they operate on the field.

I am not sure that will make sense but my reasoning is as follows:  

Craig Halkett ran over the half way line and up to about 25 yards out unchallenged. Nice pass to SC and bang goal.

Cast your mind back to some games at Tynie with Soutar getting the ball and running towards the half way line. He seems to panic and stops short of entering the opposing half turns and passes the ball backwards. Zonal football.

I may well need a hard hat for this one.

Edited by 7628mm

35 minutes ago, Yoda said:

5 minutes? Nonsense. The team didn’t play great - and I’m not even saying Clare played exceptionally well either game - I’m saying that Clare was the best player for Hearts each game. You don’t have to agree with me, but that’s what I observed.

12 minutes ago, VagabondJambo said:

The reason that Clare is consistently selected for the team, is because he is one of our better players.  JKB keeps labelling him as “lazy” – preposterous!  The guy’s heart is in the right place, he gives his all, he moves to whatever position the coaches demand.  Sure, where he is placed is not always the best positions for him, like Saturday, when they moved him to the opposite left side, and further back, when he had been very effective in his first-half role/position.  And, sure, he has a "different" running/movement style - it's different, not bad or wrong!
Since he has been with us, I have observed he is a “space” player (no, not a space cadet!).  He typically tries to take up position in space (not tight to some opponent) to receive a pass, to make a move forward.  Unfortunately, a lot of the time, our team/ball-play is not smart enough to look for guys in open space.
If you truly watch him, he is predominantly a forward-focussed player – not a sideways and backwards passer like FAR too many of our team.
As I said, the guy’s heart is in the right place.  He is gutted when he makes mistakes, but picks himself up quickly.  He is a team player – watch how he interacts with fellow players who score, get injured, or are substituted.  He is a future captain (elsewhere, if not Hearts) – you heard it here first!
As several folks have pointed out, Clare is being picked on, for whatever reason, way more than he deserves, and way more than other players who DO deserve it (Berra, Brandon, White – is it a coincidence that these are defenders?!  And yet, Clare gets the blame for the second goal on Saturday – preposterous!).
Yes, better team management, better organisation, better tactics, will bring out more in Clare.
However, let’s not destroy this boy’s already-fragile confidence.  He IS one of our better players, and WILL be an even better player with the right team-mates and tactics around him.
Let’s SUPPORT and ENCOURAGE him, rather than picking on him, putting him down, and having a Sean Clare thread after every single game!

A lot of good points here. 

1 minute ago, Baxfee said:

This thread is the best example of those who have loads to say but really don’t understand key roles within teams. 

You should definitely explain it and educate us all as your post in itself is ambiguous and means nothing. It just points to the fact you reckon you’re fairly switched on. 

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

**** me, people pulling out the racism card to defend Clare. Desperate stuff

I would never think a player is pish because his skin is a shade of brown somewhere between mine and Uche's, I would think he's pish because he has a 'Celtic minded' sounding name.

Nowt to do with racism imo.

Governor Tarkin
24 minutes ago, VagabondJambo said:

The reason that Clare is consistently selected for the team, is because he is one of our better players.  

:spoton:

7 minutes ago, 7628mm said:

I agree he seems to

Spoiler

come alive when we are going forward with a bit of pace (Saturdays goal).

However we generally (to be mild) play a defensive game and may actually play the game zonally which means players are seriously restricted in what and where they operate on the field.

I am not sure that will make sense but my reasoning is as follows:  

Craig Halkett ran over the half way line and up to about 25 yards out unchallenged. Nice pass to SC and bang goal.

Cast your mind back to some games at Tynie with Soutar getting the ball and running towards the half way line. He seems to panic and stops short of entering the opposing half turns and passes the ball backwards. Zonal football.

I may well need a hard hat for this one.

It makes total sense and get this .

Injuries happen when players are played or play into area's that are alien to them. A realisation they could make an error opens up the bad luck and toasted. This also happens to other players they lose confidence and their original style playing out of depth. So these players are covering injured team mates who are out of the side playing 2-3 roles . When we have near full numbers to choose from we get to finally see the full upgrade. For me that becomes the moment to be judged. I hope that makes sense

37 minutes ago, VagabondJambo said:

Good post. I think a proper DM behind him will help. Hopefully Whelan is that man.

Edited by Spellczech

10 hours ago, Clerry Jambo said:

Can you imagine a clarey under doddie or JJ!! Wouldn’t last long

He would have had to have filled out a bit to get in Doddies side. Derek Ferguson often comments that when he first signed with us he was ordered to spend pre season in the gym so he would gain the same kind of build and strength as the majority of the rest of the squad. 

On Clare, I thought he showed the kind of player he can be in the first half. He's certainly a decent footballer and I hope we are starting to see the real Sean Clare.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
39 minutes ago, AJAMBO said:

Yip. Scored one and sold one. Asking him to do defensive work is futile. He just doesn't have the ability 

3 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Yip. Scored one and sold one. Asking him to do defensive work is futile. He just doesn't have the ability 

Who wants to do that shift. Big Uche gets injured doing the same for me he needs to be brought on to attack not out wide holding off. Anyways we all know Clare is dangerous and also can handle himself in the kill zone. Playing in the bad role has actually toughened him up a very dangerous player with a thunderbolt strike. I like him he's the type would do a shift anywhere and loves bring an adopted Jambo.

46 minutes ago, VagabondJambo said:

Very well said . I've become fond of him he hasn't had the chance as many of our players to play to strengths through unforseen circumstances. Sport like life throws up all sorts of nitemares.

1 hour ago, VagabondJambo said:

aye okay mr clare snr!

10 hours ago, busby1985 said:

Or Whelan had lost the midfield meaning Clare and Mulraney never got on the ball as much. The point remains the same. Clare scores and performs very well until the arse falls completely out the team. Clare is by no way the worst performer but again is singled out by the fans. Mulraney also has suffered the same criticism as Clare, Djoum and Isma. 

Playing the racist card is pretty desperate! 👎

Geoff Kilpatrick
10 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Indeed.

If Clare was a Teutonic Aryan with blue eyes I'd still be calling him pish. That's because he is pish.

Just now, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Indeed.

If Clare was a Teutonic Aryan with blue eyes I'd still be calling him pish. That's because he is pish.

Exactly and calling out Hearts fans who think he is poor as racists is frankly appalling!

Berra and Zamal for example have had their share of over the top criticism lately!!

11 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

These points have been brought up by many different posters, with comments observed at many grounds over multiple seasons against different Hearts players. There is an element of truth to it for me. I don't hear it towards Clare as much as I did with Isma.. And it's sad to admit but there is definitely an element of racism that remains at tynecastle, like it does in loads of other football grounds across Scotland and the UK. 

Frankly, to try and say it doesn't exist is pretty desperate. 

2 hours ago, VagabondJambo said:

The crux of the situation is Clare being pulled all over the pitch by the tactics injuries and covering under performing team mates 

his best position is where he was first half sat , the reason he lost the header for their goal was he was covering for Hickey who was playing narrow because they were playing 2/3 up front  and hickey probs did too much running first half I remember 4 lung busting runs early in the game blowing out his arse late on thought he should have got to the ball first after the header 

Geoff Kilpatrick
4 minutes ago, communist said:

These points have been brought up by many different posters, with comments observed at many grounds over multiple seasons against different Hearts players. There is an element of truth to it for me. I don't hear it towards Clare as much as I did with Isma.. And it's sad to admit but there is definitely an element of racism that remains at tynecastle, like it does in loads of other football grounds across Scotland and the UK. 

Except no one said racism doesn't exist. What was being said here is that Clare was being targeted because of racism, not because of a lack of ability or effort.

5 minutes ago, communist said:

Excuse me! I did not say racism did not exist!! There are arseholes in society that spill over into football.

What I take exception to is the suggestion that racism is at the core of the opinion expressed by a huge amount of respectable Hearts fans that Clare’s performances have been poor!!!

5 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Except no one said racism doesn't exist. What was being said here is that Clare was being targeted because of racism, not because of a lack of ability or effort.

Exactly Geoff!! At the mere mention of racism there are those that are desperate to jump on their soapbox!

6 minutes ago, communist said:

This thread started on the 4th of August. We’ve played 5 games in that period. 16 pages and over 640 comments on a boy that has no way been the worst performer for Hearts. His attitude is constantly questioned even tho he’s been asked to play right back, lone striker, winger, sitting midfielder and an attacking midfielder and hasn’t moaned or kicked off once, just gets on with it. He’s scored the most goals this calendar year for Hearts and had his hand in some of our most important moments in a year of abject performances from everyone. Somehow tho he is singled out every single game regardless of his performance. If you've follow kickback over the years you’d see a similar pattern with Djoum and Isma. 

I am not saying that everyone who says Sean Clare is crap is a racist. I am only highlighting that regardless of performance ie Saturday where he scored and performed very well until the full side collapsed, he is ALWAYS singled out. Whelan had a positive thread on Saturday cause he stayed and clapped the fans yet this thread was filled with “waste of a jersey” “bin him” “useless” etc even tho without his goal and performance we lose. Djoum suffered the same as did Isma. 

5 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Excuse me! I did not say racism did not exist!! There are arseholes in society that spill over into football.

What I take exception to is the suggestion that racism is at the core of the opinion expressed by a huge amount of respectable Hearts fans that Clare’s performances have been poor!!!

I am also not saying that every single person who says Clare is crap is a racist. I myself have called Clare out for under performing when he’s performed poorly. The point is, some folk, regardless of his performance will always find something to moan about when it comes to him. That could be par for the course and just part and parcel of a football forum, and I hope

thats the case, but sometimes I just can’t understand why he is singled out above others. I felt the same with Djoum and Isma, as I’ve pointed out. 

18 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

Clare would kick on under a proper modern thinking manager I’m sure

Unfortunately I'm already dotted. If needed I would do it for free can't see me putting up with the zombies I would end up brawling in the stands with old foes. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
11 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

This thread started on the 4th of August. We’ve played 5 games in that period. 16 pages and over 640 comments on a boy that has no way been the worst performer for Hearts. His attitude is constantly questioned even tho he’s been asked to play right back, lone striker, winger, sitting midfielder and an attacking midfielder and hasn’t moaned or kicked off once, just gets on with it. He’s scored the most goals this calendar year for Hearts and had his hand in some of our most important moments in a year of abject performances from everyone. Somehow tho he is singled out every single game regardless of his performance. If you've follow kickback over the years you’d see a similar pattern with Djoum and Isma. 

I am not saying that everyone who says Sean Clare is crap is a racist. I am only highlighting that regardless of performance ie Saturday where he scored and performed very well until the full side collapsed, he is ALWAYS singled out. Whelan had a positive thread on Saturday cause he stayed and clapped the fans yet this thread was filled with “waste of a jersey” “bin him” “useless” etc even tho without his goal and performance we lose. Djoum suffered the same as did Isma. 

How many of those were from open play precisely? He's a decent penalty taker but he's even lost that responsibility now.

The reason Clare is being "singled out" (which I don't accept but anyway) is that he appears to be untouchable. He's played almost 50 times for Hearts now, is our only ever-present this season and yet you could count the performances where's he been "7 out of 10" or better on one hand. The likes of Lee, Bozanic, Cochrane, Irving and Djoum have all come in and out of the midfield in that time and their performances have been as inconsistent as Clare yet Clare seems to be undroppable.

22 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Yep and I agree, and excuse me too(!!) I wasn't claiming that every single person who shouts abuse at Clare is racist, and for what it's worth I think he's pish too. 

But whenever a point about racism at Hearts matches is brought up, it's not always accepted on here, that there is a racist element at tynecastle.. Which is more my point here. 

Apologies if you thought I was getting 'on my soapbox' or if I misread you. 

12 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

I am also not saying that every single person who says Clare is crap is a racist. I myself have called Clare out for under performing when he’s performed poorly. The point is, some folk, regardless of his performance will always find something to moan about when it comes to him. That could be par for the course and just part and parcel of a football forum, and I hope

thats the case, but sometimes I just can’t understand why he is singled out above others. I felt the same with Djoum and Isma, as I’ve pointed out. 

Sadly racism is everywhere however some think it to be behind everything....

4 minutes ago, communist said:

Yep and I agree, and excuse me too(!!) I wasn't claiming that every single person who shouts abuse at Clare is racist, and for what it's worth I think he's pish too. 

But whenever a point about racism at Hearts matches is brought up, it's not always accepted on here, that there is a racist element at tynecastle.. Which is more my point here. 

No problem 👍

4 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

How many of those were from open play precisely? He's a decent penalty taker but he's even lost that responsibility now.

The reason Clare is being "singled out" (which I don't accept but anyway) is that he appears to be untouchable. He's played almost 50 times for Hearts now, is our only ever-present this season and yet you could count the performances where's he been "7 out of 10" or better on one hand. The likes of Lee, Bozanic, Cochrane, Irving and Djoum have all come in and out of the midfield in that time and their performances have been as inconsistent as Clare yet Clare seems to be undroppable.

I may be wrong but I think Clare has scored 2 of our 5 goals this year from open play. Nearly all of our goals this calendar year have been from set plays, we are a team that prioritises set plays. 

Clare is a good player, is he guilty of the odd poor performance, 100%. Is he our worst player and worst performer, absolutely not. No matter what he does he is singled out above all others usually. Saturday was a great example. We started the game off terribly, Sean Clare, Irving and Mulraney single handily took the game by the scruff of the neck and put us in charge and we played some of our best stuff for a while in that first half. The 2nd half is a shambles, every single attacking player and midfielder was awful. This thread explodes with people slaughtering Clare. Meanwhile Whelan gets a positive thread, even tho he was every bit as poor as Clare, because he stayed on the park and clapped the fans. 640 comments and more on one player who is by no way our worst. 

3 hours ago, GinRummy said:

You should definitely explain it and educate us all as your post in itself is ambiguous and means nothing. It just points to the fact you reckon you’re fairly switched on. 

Yip 

35 minutes ago, AJAMBO said:

Unfortunately I'm already dotted. If needed I would do it for free can't see me putting up with the zombies I would end up brawling in the stands with old foes. 

Don’t understand ‘dotted’?

Captain Canada

Here are some players in the squad who have performed to a poorer standard than Clare since he signed: 

Bobby

Berra 

Burns 

White

Bozanic

MacLean

Wighton

Uche 

55 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

40 minutes ago, communist said:

Don't either of you apologise for this in the slightest.  This is ****ing absolutely what happens with some of our so called supporters, and it's annoying as ****.  I'm fed up with hearing it at games, and it's amazingly predictable about who will get stuff shouted at them at games

Wee darling Jamie Walker has a shite game, and it's fine because he's a guid honest Hertz laddie.  Clare/Djoum/Isma plays the ball 6 inches behind the player they're passing to and there's an uproar about how they're the shitest player to ever pull on a Hearts jersey, with some of the abuse going way over the top for what actually happened.

We ignore the issue time after time after time.  Mention anyone making a blatantly racist comment that you hear at a game, and people quickly jump in with "Well I sit in Section XXX and I never heard a thing" etc.  Mention the fact that people consistently give foreign players a hard time, and you're accused of lying about it.  It's absolutely ****ing infuriating that people are so blinkered, or refuse to acknowledge what is happening.

There was a boy that sat just down from my old Season ticket seat that constantly shouted abuse at Djoum, even when it was Isma that had actually played the ball.  Every criticism somehow mentioned the words "black *******".  It was a very small percentage of people around me that moaned about it, but nothing ever got done, and the boy was free to spew his vitriol for everyone in his vicinity to hear.  When I chose not to renew my season ticket in that location, it was him that sprung to mind first.  "Can I be arsed listening to a racist dickhead for 90 minutes every week?"

It's a very-small-but-very-vocal percentage that do this, but call it out, and you will be told you have "an agenda" (whatever that means), that you are a liar, or just that you are a Hibs *******.  I am ****ing sick of it.

45 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Sadly racism is everywhere however some think it to be behind everything....

Its been the same since man floated on a log and ended up a slave to the master.

25 minutes ago, Captain Canada said:

Here are some players in the squad who have performed to a poorer standard than Clare since he signed: 

Bobby

Berra 

Burns 

White

Bozanic

MacLean

Wighton

Uche 

Clare's probably played most of their positions very adaptable forced through injuries to mainstays. The above player's are at best benched Uche White and Berra are the ones I'd keep the others can go.

4 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Don't either of you apologise for this in the slightest.  This is ****ing absolutely what happens with some of our so called supporters, and it's annoying as ****.  I'm fed up with hearing it at games, and it's amazingly predictable about who will get stuff shouted at them at games

Wee darling Jamie Walker has a shite game, and it's fine because he's a guid honest Hertz laddie.  Clare/Djoum/Isma plays the ball 6 inches behind the player they're passing to and there's an uproar about how they're the shitest player to ever pull on a Hearts jersey, with some of the abuse going way over the top for what actually happened.

We ignore the issue time after time after time.  Mention anyone making a blatantly racist comment that you hear at a game, and people quickly jump in with "Well I sit in Section XXX and I never heard a thing" etc.  Mention the fact that people consistently give foreign players a hard time, and you're accused of lying about it.  It's absolutely ****ing infuriating that people are so blinkered, or refuse to acknowledge what is happening.

There was a boy that sat just down from my old Season ticket seat that constantly shouted abuse at Djoum, even when it was Isma that had actually played the ball.  Every criticism somehow mentioned the words "black *******".  It was a very small percentage of people around me that moaned about it, but nothing ever got done, and the boy was free to spew his vitriol for everyone in his vicinity to hear.  When I chose not to renew my season ticket in that location, it was him that sprung to mind first.  "Can I be arsed listening to a racist dickhead for 90 minutes every week?"

It's a very-small-but-very-vocal percentage that do this, but call it out, and you will be told you have "an agenda" (whatever that means), that you are a liar, or just that you are a Hibs *******.  I am ****ing sick of it.

Glad you got that off your chest!

Nobody on here is denying that there is indeed total arseholes in society in general and a small minority around football in particular, that display mindless racism.

My point is that very many respectable Hearts fans posting on here and attending Tynecastle, think Clare’s performances to be extremely poor with not one iota of racism.

30 minutes ago, Captain Canada said:

Bobby

Berra 

Burns 

White

Bozanic

MacLean

Wighton

Uche 

Wighton was extremely poor - unlike Clare he was dropped.

15 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Don't judge others when their sins don't match your own. As like you everyone has and can speak their mind from the flower pot men to the supremists. Thats people for you

Edited by AJAMBO

32 minutes ago, Captain Canada said:

Bobby

Berra 

Burns 

White

Bozanic

MacLean

Wighton

Uche 

Be honest, if they were all to leave the club, none of them would be missed. Sorry to include Berra in this but his form the last year has been dire.