Sean Clare.

Whatever

37 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

“Witch hunt”!  😂😂😂

FYI I am not saying he is a world beater but I am also saying he is not as bad as people are making out. I get the feeling this could end up like a Bjorn Johnson type situation.

Clare is on a lot of people list as the scapegoat for recent times when I believe the blame lies with the manager. 

Edited by Rods

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Spoleto

• Thomaso

• pettigrewsstylist

• Peebo

44 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

“Witch hunt”!  😂😂😂

I know.   

As pointed out by more professional people across media last week, he lacks so much of the basics. I think Clare can’t focus. His concentration wanders during games. 

Games pass him by. He doesn’t go looking for the ball, rather waits for it. 

The problem is, it can start to look like he’s picked on but many many players before Sean Clare weren’t good enough for Hearts but it was never personal for me when judging players. 

His type are ten a penny out there but because of the odd neat bit of play many are suckered in to thinking what a great player he is. Maybe it is largely down to the management why we’ve finished 5,6,6 in the last 3 seasons but maybe a few need to wake up and realise it’s down to sub standard players too.

Edited by Debut 4

20 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

I know.   

As pointed out by more professional people across media last week, he lacks so much of the basics. I think Clare can’t focus. His concentration wanders during games. 

Games pass him by. He doesn’t go looking for the ball, rather waits for it. 

The problem is, it can start to look like he’s picked on but many many players before Sean Clare weren’t good enough for Hearts but it was never personal for me when judging players. 

His type are ten a penny out there but because of the odd neat bit of play many are suckered in to thinking what a great player he is. Maybe it is largely down to the management why we’ve finished 5,6,6 in the last 3 seasons but maybe a few need to wake up and realise it’s down to sub standard players too.

This bit for me I'm afraid the guy has had plenty of games to show what he is made of and he just doesn't cut it for me.

Maybe being played more centrally doesn't suit him but he has had far more chances than some of the other players only CL knows why.

He even said that he thought Clare played well against Celtic!!!!!!

Edited by wavydavy
typo

jack D and coke
20 hours ago, Sagan said:

I see moments from him but it's just not enough. 

There's nothing that he's actually very good at. 

He's not slow but he's not quick

He has some good touches but he's not skillful

He doesn't have an ounce of fat on him but we don't see a 90 minute performance from him. 

He can finish but rarely scores

and so on and so on. 

This is the best description I’ve seen. 

It’s blindingly obvious to most of us now he doesn’t have anything in reserve. It’s not about position or confidence. 

This is Sean Clare we’re seeing now. It’s all he’s got. 

upgotheheads
10 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

It’s blindingly obvious to most of us now he doesn’t have anything in reserve. It’s not about position or confidence. 

Fair comment. He's a squad player then, but as far as I'm aware we didn't pay that much for him and he still has time to develop. He's another in the Vanacek/Oshaniwa mould though, over hyped by Levein to his detriment. 

Edited by upgotheheads

2 hours ago, Rods said:

Depends what you consider skill. Reacting quicker to a loose ball and getting brought down for a penalty I would say is a good skill. In fact I would say quick reactions make for the better footballer. During the Motherwell game he took two defenders away for Smith to get shooting room.

He also got an assist against Hibs for Olly Lee's goal so in summary last season a bedding in season he

Scored the winner in a cup tie( our hardest one)

Setup an opening goal in the cup final 

Setup the winner in the Derby( probably our best league game of the season)

Dont let me get in the way of your witch hunt though.

Now, I’ve watched Olly Lees goal probably a hundred times.

To claim Clare provided an assist to it is pushing things a bit, imo.

The ball bounced off his head :lol:

Edited by Whatever

jack D and coke
5 minutes ago, Whatever said:

Now, I’ve watched Olly Lees goal probably a hundred times.

To claim Clare provided an assist to it is pushing things a bit, imo.

The ball bounced of his head :lol:

I laughed at the time when people claimed assist. The lengths people will go to back players at times.

****ing hilarious tbh :lol: 

3 hours ago, Rods said:

Depends what you consider skill. Reacting quicker to a loose ball and getting brought down for a penalty I would say is a good skill. In fact I would say quick reactions make for the better footballer. During the Motherwell game he took two defenders away for Smith to get shooting room.

He also got an assist against Hibs for Olly Lee's goal so in summary last season a bedding in season he

Scored the winner in a cup tie( our hardest one)

Setup an opening goal in the cup final 

Setup the winner in the Derby( probably our best league game of the season)

Dont let me get in the way of your witch hunt though.

Why do people still think Lee’s goal at Easter Road was on the back of an ‘assist’ from Clare??? Clare’s header went up in the air directionless and happened to fall to Lee who took a great touch and hit it! An ‘assist’ implies that a good pass, header, cross, lay off etc are intentional. Clare’s header was NOT an ‘assist’!

jack D and coke
1 hour ago, upgotheheads said:

Fair comment. He's a squad player then, but as far as I'm aware we didn't pay that much for him and he still has time to develop. He's another in the Vanacek/Oshaniwa mould though, over hyped by Levein to his detriment. 

He’s not in the Oshiniwa or Vanacek mould for me, they were utter horseshit. 

Clare isn’t without any talent but he appears very unaware what he’s meant to be doing half the time and has no idea what stamping his authority on a game means. It’s not to say it won’t ever happen either but I feel if he keeps up this level of performance he’s going to start copping plenty flak.

Maybe a little break soon might do him some good, wee reminder he’s just not doing enough. 

I am not sure what game people were watching.

Clare made the best of a terrible pass from Djoum without his reactions Lee would never have even had the chance. I am not sure if folk are counting that as an assist or not but for me if Clare did not direct the ball into a dangerous area then the opportunity for a goal would not have been there( an assist)

Watch it again and tell me what else Clare could have done with the terrible pass from Djoum? 

12 minutes ago, julienbrellier said:

Clare is back up at best. Meshino immediately replaces him 

Based on? YouTube!?!

Meshino is tiny and weighs about 7 stone. Let’s not make the mistake he’s going to be a world beater until we have seen him play a few games. 

Also i’m really struggling to figure out how Levein fits Washington, Naismith, mulraney and Meshino in the same team.  I’m not sure you can. So what he’ll do is drop Mulraney and then we have a classic Levein team of absolutely no pace or dynamism. 

Edited by hearts00

upgotheheads
1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

He’s not in the Oshiniwa or Vanacek mould for me, they were utter horseshit. 

Clare isn’t without any talent but he appears very unaware what he’s meant to be doing half the time and has no idea what stamping his authority on a game means. It’s not to say it won’t ever happen either but I feel if he keeps up this level of performance he’s going to start copping plenty flak.

Maybe a little break soon might do him some good, wee reminder he’s just not doing enough.

I meant in the sense that he was over-hyped by CL. But I agree with what you write. I actually think he's a decent player but he's not as dominant as he needs to be in the middle of the park, as you suggest. He's only 22 though, so there's time. Paul Hartley was older than him before he really made his mark.

And before anyone says it, I don't think he'll be as good as Sir Paul was.

Looks like Walker , Clare and mulrariney all fighting for one spot, when Naismith and the new guy are all fit and available. Not that I think they will all be fit at the same time at any point in the season.

8 hours ago, Lfhearts said:

This thread is unbelievable even by kickback standards.

I can understand goalie/right back debate for this weekend but Clare, I would just love it if he scores.

Morrison for Clare made me laugh mind!

I don’t think him scoring a hat trick would matter to some.

who needs enemies eh

some of the stuff written is howling and just typical of the keyboard forum warrior. 

Seems there’s always got to be someone for them to hate.

Fully expect them to turn their ire on the Man City loanee as they will no doubt expect Messi type performances

Edited by 1971fozzy

7 hours ago, bobskeldon said:

Why do people still think Lee’s goal at Easter Road was on the back of an ‘assist’ from Clare??? Clare’s header went up in the air directionless and happened to fall to Lee who took a great touch and hit it! An ‘assist’ implies that a good pass, header, cross, lay off etc are intentional. Clare’s header was NOT an ‘assist’!

They are desperate to clutch at any straw!

8 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Have you been a manager of a top football team??? If the answer is no our current Manager has said your opinion is worthless.....

Geoff Kilpatrick
4 hours ago, VALDOS' said:

I said back in July he would be out the starting eleven by September, so he better enjoy tomorrow. 

I'm not so sure about that.

kingantti1874
14 hours ago, hearts00 said:

Based on? YouTube!?!

Meshino is tiny and weighs about 7 stone. Let’s not make the mistake he’s going to be a world beater until we have seen him play a few games. 

Also i’m really struggling to figure out how Levein fits Washington, Naismith, mulraney and Meshino in the same team.  I’m not sure you can. So what he’ll do is drop Mulraney and then we have a classic Levein team of absolutely no pace or dynamism. 

well Clare offers absolutely nothing so not a gamble

Clare needs to get involved in the game more, he floats in and out.  Doesn’t do enough for me - needs to look for the ball for the full 90 mins.

i just don’t think anyone, including him knows his best position. Which is ok when you are 18 but he’s well past that.  As others have said, the arrival of Meshino should be a warning to him to pick up his game

44 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Today’s the day 🤞

He might score, buying himself a free pass from criticism for another 6 months.

jack D and coke
9 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Have you been a manager of a top football team??? If the answer is no our current Manager has said your opinion is worthless.....

He’s right of course :lol: 

I’m starting to feel the same way every time he opens his gub an all tho. 

23 hours ago, Lfhearts said:

This thread is unbelievable even by kickback standards.

I can understand goalie/right back debate for this weekend but Clare, I would just love it if he scores.

Morrison for Clare made me laugh mind!

If Clare doesn't buck up his Ideas soon Morrison will be ahead of him in the pecking order. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
1 hour ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

If Clare doesn't buck up his Ideas soon Morrison will be ahead of him in the pecking order. 

He's pish but he's not quite that pish!

The new Djoum for the man-babies to holler abuse at.

Someone needs that badge of dishonour, might as well be Clare. 

1 hour ago, Noah Claypole said:

The new Djoum for the man-babies to holler abuse at.

Someone needs that badge of dishonour, might as well be Clare. 

Oh come on man. 

Name me one game Clare has made a serious impact where you've left thinking, yes we've got a player here?

I want him to work out, but he's not doing enough to impose himself in games. He's a big laddie that needs to put a bit of weight on and start putting himself about a bit and get physical with other players. Fact is, guys like Jamie Hamill or Mehdi ****ing Taouil have made more impact than Clare has so far. 

The lad needs to play with greater determination, I think if he was physically stronger he could lean on that when things aren't going his way. Look at Paterson, an absolute unit with limited football ability, but had the physicality to cover himself. Think I said it earlier, but with his position and physical build he should be modelling his game on Loftus-Cheeks and the chelsea lad has 10kg on him and is a year older.

I think when Clare drives forward with the ball we do see a glimmer of what he could be but thats all too rare. If he was stronger he'd be harder to push off the ball and those glimmers would become more frequent and perhaps a constant. 

4 minutes ago, OTT said:

Oh come on man. 

Name me one game Clare has made a serious impact where you've left thinking, yes we've got a player here?

I want him to work out, but he's not doing enough to impose himself in games. He's a big laddie that needs to put a bit of weight on and start putting himself about a bit and get physical with other players. Fact is, guys like Jamie Hamill or Mehdi ****ing Taouil have made more impact than Clare has so far. 

The lad needs to play with greater determination, I think if he was physically stronger he could lean on that when things aren't going his way. Look at Paterson, an absolute unit with limited football ability, but had the physicality to cover himself. Think I said it earlier, but with his position and physical build he should be modelling his game on Loftus-Cheeks and the chelsea lad has 10kg on him and is a year older.

I think when Clare drives forward with the ball we do see a glimmer of what he could be but thats all too rare. If he was stronger he'd be harder to push off the ball and those glimmers would become more frequent and perhaps a constant. 

And sure enough Clare scores :D

I love my luck sometimes :P 

tartofmidlothian
28 minutes ago, DarioHMFC said:

Think Clare has been very good today.

7 minutes ago, Sharky999 said:

Clare has been fantastic today, so far

2 minutes ago, Dia Liom said:

Been MoM so far! Keep it up, Clare

:spoton:

Credit where it’s due, Sean Clare is having his best game in a maroon jersey. Hopefully keep it up 2nd half although his freedom has been stifled a bit (by necessity) since Meshi came on. 

I’ll put my hands up that I didn’t want Clare to start. I know he has ability but hasn’t shown enough and hopefully this is the start of some good form

Edited by Newton51
More info