Oh to be a Hibs fan

mscjambo

7 minutes ago, Morph said:

I have never heard of the guy before today so i have nae idea what his intentions are for buying and investing in hibs are.  The facts are after whatever money has been spent on acquiring the club, hes providing another 7 figure sum into his business.  Not Farmer or Petries pockets.   Some of it might go to transfers, some might go to their training barn but there is some sort of investment being made.

Why mention an investment if it's not for transfers?

Hibs statement. 

Ron’s company acquiring the shares in the Club held by HFC holdings Limited and making a further cash investment in the Club.  

- Sir Tom and Ron worked together in the transaction to eliminate the Club’s mortgage debt

- The Club is now debt free, six years ahead of plan

- Ron is making a seven-figure cash injection to the Club

- HFC Holdings has transferred the Ticket Office and 15 acres of land at HTC to the Club

It's unclear from that whether the 7 figure cash injection includes paying off the debt. 

He is now on record as saying he wants to build and indoor facility and upgrade/improve the academy. That could easily take a seven figure sum. 

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Morgan

• Rudy T

• Coburg Hearts

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, SUTOL said:

Hibs statement. 

Ron’s company acquiring the shares in the Club held by HFC holdings Limited and making a further cash investment in the Club.  

- Sir Tom and Ron worked together in the transaction to eliminate the Club’s mortgage debt

- HFC Holdings has transferred the Ticket Office and 15 acres of land at HTC to the Club

It's unclear from that whether the 7 figure cash injection includes paying off the debt. 

He is now on record as saying he wants to build and indoor facility and upgrade/improve the academy. That could easily take a seven figure sum.

How much is this seven figure sum if it's paying off the debt and improving their facilities then?

I think it's pretty clear from what hibs have said that the 7 figure sum is separate from anything that went on with the debt and share transfer.  The only people who are trying to read into it another way are hearts fans on here :laugh: 

Just going round in circles now but i suppose people can read into things how they want :laugh: 

Edited by Morph

3 minutes ago, SUTOL said:

Hibs statement. 

Yep. Very vague.

It’s probably a sensible move if he is investing in infrastructure. I would be less worried if I was a Hibs supporter, and that was the plan. 

A lot of promises at the start from their new owner, a lot of belief from the Hibees this will be massive.

Easy to for them to think it'll all come true during the honeymoon period. But how often does that happen in football? I think Budge is quite an exception to your standard football club owner - Hibs new guy will be expecting much more in return. And he will struggle to get it, because, well, this is Hibs. 

1 minute ago, SUTOL said:

Hibs statement. 

They might be debt free for the time being but they're now foreign owned with the fans  powerless in regard to the running of the club, and we all know how that can turn out.

With uncle Tom gone the new owner/s will be looking for a return on investment somehow. Interesting times.......!

Inch Hearts

Whats in it for the random yank?  What’s he done to persuade Farmer he’s not going to sell them down the river for the dollar? I would be major sceptical at this from that side of the city.  If it was potential based sale then surely hearts would have been the best option. 

Edited by Inch Hearts

2 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Does Ronald have a sister ?

Why would he need a sister!? Oh wait.........

:ruiner:

::troll::

2 minutes ago, Morph said:

How much is this seven figure sum if it's paying off the debt and improving their facilities then?

I think it's pretty clear from what hibs have said that the 7 figure sum is separate from anything that went on with the debt and share transfer.  The only people who are trying to read into it another way are hearts fans on here :laugh: 

Just going round in circles now but i suppose people can read into things how they want :laugh: 

Nah. I don’t see anyone making out that this is some sort of asset-strip or con. I just see folk discussing their interpretations of a very vague statement, from a guy who’s just bought out Farmer. Truth is nobody really knows what’s going on yet.

2 minutes ago, Morph said:

How much is this seven figure sum then if it's paying off the debt and improving their facilities then?

It could be that after the share purchase and the debt payment that there is a seven figure some left to 'invest', some of which (at least) will be spent on an indoor facility and improving the academy. 

It would be easier if they had just come out and said exactly what the situation was. Their ambiguity has left space for speculation.

2 minutes ago, kila said:

A lot of promises at the start from their new owner, a lot of belief from the Hibees this will be massive.

Not sure there has been any promises that he could be pushed to deliver though. That’s the point. It’s all very non-committal.

2 minutes ago, Barack said:

Aye, Hibs will end up being the financial powerhouse in Scottish football we all feared. Shut it all down Hearts, Kilmarnock, Aberdeen & Rangers. We've no chance now that we don't even know what's being invested. That should make some of the lesser-toed ****wits that inhabit this site very happy. 

****ing shitehouses.  Hearts shitehouses.

Spot on ??

Not going to go down to well with some of the fawners on this thread though , weirdos 

1 minute ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Not sure there has been any promises that he could be pushed to deliver though. That’s the point. It’s all very non-committal.

Exactly, he could turn round and say the club is not doing as well as he projected and there'll be cuts, less money available for funds.

Will be interesting to see how many games he attends, I'm sure any appearances will be well documented by the EEN.

2 minutes ago, kila said:

Exactly, he could turn round and say the club is not doing as well as he projected and there'll be cuts, less money available for funds.

Will be interesting to see how many games he attends, I'm sure any appearances will be well documented by the EEN.

Wonder what wee Jackie McNamara is up to these days? ??‍♂️

hearts 4 the cup

I’d take our future ownership model over anything else, no doubts about it. 

I’ve got no doubts that this guy is well intentioned but not to the extent of pumping millions on transfer and wages, he’ll run it like he would any other business  I.e. spend within their means. I can’t see how this is any different to the situation at Dundee etc. 

Will be interesting to see how it all unravels.

8 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Will we? After Ann has been paid off, we have £1.4m p/a investment through FoH. That’s over and above what we generate as a football club.

Yes and that's all very well but that is relying on the same constant investment. There's no guarantee that everyone will always be able to do so. Life happens, marriage, families, unemployment, redundancy, mortgages, retirement, death and other stuff. Then, can you absolutely guarantee new FoH members in the decades ahead when current members can't or won't be able to anymore for the various reasons above? When Ann goes we will likely need new investment on top of FoH investment. A business man/group/consortium. Also, the money we generate as a club cannot be guaranteed either. The money we generate will partly come down to getting large transfer fees, keeping fans interested in the football i.e. season ticket sales, selling corporate and other things. There's no guarantees.

Guest ToqueJambo
22 minutes ago, Section Q said:

They might be debt free for the time being but they're now foreign owned with the fans  powerless in regard to the running of the club, and we all know how that can turn out.

With uncle Tom gone the new owner/s will be looking for a return on investment somehow. Interesting times.......!

This. Hibs have gone from being a community-run (in terms of Farmer's approach to ownership) and potentially fan-owned club to a foreign-owned business venture.

They may get a wee positive bounce from this but as others say it all depends how their manager spends the money. The best current comparison is Dundee Utd who were also bought by a US businessman 18 mths ago. They haven't exactly come on leaps and bounds but did seem to spend some money on players under Neilson. D Utd are apparently bidding for Shankland and Gauld which suggests splurging some cash. It's the kind of money that might help D Utd and Hibs get a slightly better quality of player but not transformational, and if the results don't follow....

Edited by ToqueJambo

hearts 4 the cup
4 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Yes and that's all very well but that is relying on the same constant investment. There's no guarantee that everyone will always be able to do so. Life happens, marriage, families, unemployment, redundancy, mortgages, retirement, death and other stuff. Then, can you absolutely guarantee new FoH members in the decades ahead when current members can't or won't be able to anymore for the various reasons above? When Ann goes we will likely need new investment on top of FoH investment. A business man/group/consortium. Also, the money we generate as a club cannot be guaranteed either. The money we generate will partly come down to getting large transfer fees, keeping fans interested in the football i.e. season ticket sales, selling corporate and other things. There's no guarantees.

I really don’t see what your point is here - even if the investment from FOH was to totally dry up then we would operate like most other clubs with income through season tickets, match day income, prize money, transfers etc. 

Footballfirst
30 minutes ago, SUTOL said:

He's bought more than 51% of the shares, he bought all of Farmer and Petries, 62.7% at last years accounts. 

He says in an interview with STV that he plans to build an indoor pitch/facility (presumably at East Mains) and invest in the academy, to make it the "best in scotland". 

26 minutes ago, jackal said:

Just read that around 1/3 of shares are owned by others. So he has around 66%. Confused with the HSL thing which turned out to be pointless.

As I said earlier going down the same route as us with youth.

HFC Holdings owned 61.38m shares as at 31 December 2018. The last tranche of new shares was taken up by HSL just last week on 25 June.  At that point there were 102.35m shares issued, so HFC owned 60% (not 59% as I may have said earlier). The "one third" of shares is a bit confusing, as others own 40%, unless STF and RP had an undisclosed interest in some of the nominee companies.

HSL buys its shares at 4p a pop so, at that price, the HFC stake would be worth £2.445m. Gordon is also reported to have paid off the mortgage which should currently be standing at £2.827m, so that is at least £5.27m gone from Gordon's investment.  

Under takeover rules, I'd expect that Gordon will have to make an offer to buy all other shares in the club (as Ann Budge was required to do with Hearts). If that does happen, then we will find out how much he actually paid for the shares, as that will be the price offered to other shareholders.  

10 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Ann’s financial investment has happened. It’s been and gone. Now her investment consists of business acumen and facilitating business investment from other sources. The FoH money (£1.4m p/a) has been going towards paying back her initial £2.5m outlay, the stadium and infrastructure development, the first year of post admin operations, and the overdraft facility. All of that is nearly paid back...

What makes you think myself and others are suddenly going to stop putting our money in? It’s my favourite DD by some distance, and has been for about half a decade. Can’t wait to set one up for my 4 year old daughter and five month old son. 

Leveins Battalion
2 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

HFC Holdings owned 61.38m shares as at 31 December 2018. The last tranche of new shares was taken up by HSL just last week on 25 June.  At that point there were 102.35m shares issued, so HFC owned 60% (not 59% as I may have said earlier). The "one third" of shares is a bit confusing, as others own 40%, unless STF and RP had an undisclosed interest in some of the nominee companies.

HSL buys its shares at 4p a pop so, at that price, the HFC stake would be worth £2.445m. Gordon is also reported to have paid off the mortgage which should currently be standing at £2.827m, so that is at least £5.27m gone from Gordon's investment.  

Under takeover rules, I'd expect that Gordon will have to make an offer to buy all other shares in the club (as Ann Budge was required to do with Hearts). If that does happen, then we will find out how much he actually paid for the shares, as that will be the price offered to other shareholders.  

So that's £5.5 million of his £6 million investment gone?

15 minutes ago, jambonian said:

I actually suspect that you do t really understand how FoH works. 

Just now, hearts 4 the cup said:

I really don’t see what your point is here - even if the investment from FOH was to totally dry up then we would operate like most other clubs with income through season tickets, match day income, prize money, transfers etc. 

But that is the point. We would have to rely on ST sales, Prize money, transfers, selling pies etc., but can we?

There's no guarantee ST sales will stay as they are, all depends on how the football is and they've already dropped a little bit this season alone so that, plus relying on other clubs for big transfer fees, prize money for winning trophies etc.? No guarantees we'll get big fees or prize money anywhere. We just hope we do.

Guest ToqueJambo

This could be the best "Hibsed it" yet. From relative security to ownership changes very 5 years or so. Like the best "Hibsed it"s it would be self-inflicted and fairly unnecessary.

I'm pretty surprised. We have put in place a model of fan ownership coupled with a local owner and they've basically gone in completely the opposite direction. Will be interesting to see which works out in the long-term. I guess there was no local business person willing to take the club on.

Just now, jambonian said:

But that is the point. We would have to rely on ST sales, Prize money, transfers, selling pies etc., but can we?

There's no guarantee ST sales will stay as they are, all depends on how the football is and they've already dropped a little bit this season alone so that, plus relying on other clubs for big transfer fees, prize money for winning trophies etc.? No guarantees we'll get big fees or prize money anywhere. We just hope we do.

I see your point, we may as well just stop playing now. 

3 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

So that's £5.5 million of his £6 million investment gone?

How do you know it's £6 million? 

Guest ToqueJambo

But that's what being a sustainable club involves. The alternative is debt and all the associated risks that us and others know about only too well. We are in a great position. FoH contributions have held steady, even during a relatively unsuccessful period. A fairly successful period, which will come along, could even see them increase.

3 minutes ago, SUTOL said:

How do you know it's £6 million? 

no one does but thats the supposed figure everyone is going by.

14 minutes ago, jambonian said:

So basically the business can fail in the way any business can fail, thanks for your expert insight John Harvey-Jones. 

We have invested in infrastructure in the stadium and on the playing side, work to a budget and are run responsibly, that is what will be handed over. I was thinking about this the other day, a club Hearts size in a league like Scotland is almost the perfect fit for fan ownership. Wages in the country for players are generally low so we wouldn't be taking outrageous gambles like many English clubs, if we did receive a large sum for a player it would primarily be invested in the club as our wage structure would not allow us to buy players above a certain value and additional investment from the FoH contributes a meaningful amount compared to our overall income. This is all on top of starting from a very solid base. There is no reason why the club cannot definitely be sustainable and there is a real opportunity for us to thrive. 

2 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Ann’s financial investment has happened. It’s been and gone. Now her investment consists of business acumen and facilitating business investment from other sources. The FoH money (£1.4m p/a) has been going towards paying back her initial £2.5m outlay, the stadium and infrastructure development, the first year of post admin operations, and the overdraft facility. All of that is nearly paid back...

What makes you think myself and others are suddenly going to stop putting our money in? It’s my favourite DD by some distance, and has been for about half a decade. Can’t wait to set one up for my 4 year old daughter and five month old son. 

Never said anyone is going to suddenly stop. All I was saying that for the various reasons I posted (not typing them out again) life happens, situations out-with their control happen and not everyone will be able to afford investment forever more.

6 minutes ago, jambonian said:

This is crazy stuff... every club in the world relies on these things to operate. We have the added bonus of FoH on top of that. Your fear and worry seems to be based on the possibility of our season ticket sales dropping or our FoH contributions dropping... what makes you think that is likely to happen? Both have remained steady for the last half a decade.

kingantti1874
53 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Fan ownership will only go so far. After Ann we will need further investment outwith.

Why? The plan is to use the fan monies to permanently grow revenue.. for example / don’t spend it the fan monies for 5 years. Build a hotel generating £xm pa.. this is obvious just me plucking and example 

a club which has had a tax free surplus every year is going to be in a great position. You think his American owner will run them at a £2m per annum loss? 

6 minutes ago, jambonian said:

What's the alternative? Another sugar daddy/mummy? Been there and it nearly killed us. Live within our means. ST sales will drop if the football is pish. If the football is pish changes will be made so it isn't pish. I have no desire to spend money we don't have or to owe money to anyone that will EVER put us in the position we were a few seasons ago.

Competing with Hibs has never been the be all and end all for me. They're usually an enjoyable sideshow and, in my time as a Jambo we've pretty much always had the upper hand. I don't see that changing.

You have to wonder now how much of a sell on percentage was actually in the John McGinn sale to villa.

i wouldn’t imagine a shrewd businessman like farmer or Petrie would walk away knowing there may be a huge windfall coming from any sale of him?

1 minute ago, jambonian said:

Never said anyone is going to suddenly stop. All I was saying that for the various reasons I posted (not typing them out again) life happens, situations out-with their control happen and not everyone will be able to afford investment forever more.

Yes, but FoH is over and above what we generate as a business. If FoH stopped (it won’t) then we’d just be exactly where we are right now, and like most other clubs, living off what we generate as a business/football club. You then switched to what happens if fans stop buying season tickets... well clearly the same as if fans of any club stopped buying season tickets. 

I’m struggling to grasp what you are so worried about, and why you think we need more investment. ??‍♂️

Did you think FoH were propping us up in terms of wages etc?

The White Cockade
55 minutes ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

Didn't know that but no not particularly (if true) 

so you think it's unlikely he has the same surname as his father and his grandfather?

:cornette:

TorinoJambo

Here's my twopennyworth, for what it's worth. Neither we nor they will have major expenditure on building or the like ever again. Grounds and training facilities etc are all in place and more or less paid for. They will have an instant injection of cash. There the similarity ends. We have FOH which will supply a guaranteed amount year on year (we must seek to up the numbers to 10k at least). This, with the increased income from hospitality, will initially mean the hiring of better players and should compliment an increasing number of youngsters in the team. When we receive BIG money from sales of such as Harry Cochrane in the future we will be able to spend big too.

Spellczech
50 minutes ago, SUTOL said:

Hibs statement. 

These things are never clear. 7 figures can be 1,000,000 or it can be 9,999,999...

Likewise "cash" means it could be a loan ie financing or it could be capital, or phree munney to spunk on players...Hopefully Gordan Petric is still playing

1 minute ago, TorinoJambo said:

Here's my twopennyworth, for what it's worth. Neither we nor they will have major expenditure on building or the like ever again. Grounds and training facilities etc are all in place and more or less paid for. They will have an instant injection of cash. There the similarity ends. We have FOH which will supply a guaranteed amount year on year (we must seek to up the numbers to 10k at least). This, with the increased income from hospitality, will initially mean the hiring of better players and should compliment an increasing number of youngsters in the team. When we receive BIG money from sales of such as Harry Cochrane in the future we will be able to spend big too.

?

2 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

This is crazy stuff... every club in the world relies on these things to operate. We have the added bonus of FoH on top of that. Your fear and worry seems to be based on the possibility of our season ticket sales dropping or our FoH contributions dropping... what makes you think that is likely to happen? Both have remained steady for the last half a decade.

"what makes you think that is likely to happen" "steady for the last half a decade"

And what about 10/20/30 years down the line?

Are you actually for real? Or is it a wind-up? Ok, so to put it in simple terns.... see when yir deid or when other investors die, can ye invest? Or ye loose yir job and ye cannae afford it, are ye still gonnae invest? jeezo!

"what makes you think that is likely to happen" "steady for the last half a decade"

Are you actually for real? Or is it a wind-up? Ok, so to put it in simple terns.... see when yir deid or when other investors die, can ye invest? Or ye loose yir job and ye cannae afford it, are ye still gonnae invest? jeezo!

We are not reliant on FoH money as an going concern though, that’s what you don’t seem to understand. If it did suddenly disappear, we’d live if what we generate through being a football club. 

1 minute ago, jambonian said:

Or what about the other way which is perfectly plausible.

current investors start earning more so start contributing more.

current investors kids grow up and start working and start investing.

current investors grandchildren start investing.

all entirely possible.

"Waur gonnae fill in the corners at Easter Road and challenge the old firm likes. We've been doing it fir years".

After you with the crack matey

3 hours ago, been here before said:

I wonder if the board will be looking to diversify into bars, hotels, restaurants and the like.

???

5 minutes ago, jambonian said:

What is your point? Do you think Hibs new owner will be propping the club up should they have low STs, prize money etc?

At least with FoH you can trust they'd act in the interests of the club (there'd be a vote). Private owners, they will want to make their money back even if it means the club dying.