Oh to be a Hibs fan

mscjambo

39 minutes ago, Pants Shaton said:

Ron was in my year at school - big Hearts man - moved to the states in his teens.  He used to do business with the Mercer family and assume there’s some unfinished business.

A Peruvian school that you attended ?

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Morgan

• Rudy T

• Coburg Hearts

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sooperstar

All sounds like good news for them. Depends very much on the character of this guy, but they have every right to be feeling quite happy with themselves at the moment.

25 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Makes FoH continuing to be a success even more important. 

All that matters

vegas-voss
3 minutes ago, londonjambo said:

Fair enough really and it's great for them that they are debt-free without having the trauma that we had to endure to reach that point. I don't think much will change but the idea that this is anything other than very good news for them smacks of the type of jealousy from some of our fans which we would normally associate with them. 

Well done to them and will be interesting to see how much more he is prepared to invest to make them successful - not at all easy in this league as we know.

GC

It's good news but nothing to get all hyper about which is what fans do.

It's just dawned on me how hilarious it is that their HSL scheme failed so badly, they've had to go against their so called beliefs to get the club off Farmer's hands.

Just now, Locky said:

It's just dawned on me how hilarious it is that their HSL scheme failed so badly, they've had to go against their so called beliefs to get the club off Farmer's hands.

They are an embarrasment and folk on here almost praising them need to remember how far they strived to kill us off. 

londonjambo
1 minute ago, vegas-voss said:

It's good news but nothing to get all hyper about which is what fans do.

Agreed. I don't really care what their fans are saying about it. I just thought that some of the comments about him being a fly-by-night fat Yank smacked a little bit of the sort of thing you'd read on Hibs.net if we were in the same position. We should be above all that. 

5 minutes ago, Boris said:

Sir Tom Farmer, Rod Petrie, Ronald Gordon and Leeann Dempster at the Hibs announcement

Is that Willo Flood on the left?

It was kind of Leanne to give the yank her tie.

Ron Burgundy
7 minutes ago, Boris said:

Sir Tom Farmer, Rod Petrie, Ronald Gordon and Leeann Dempster at the Hibs announcement

He has no idea where he is or why he is there.

londonjambo
1 minute ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

They are an embarrasment and folk on here almost praising them need to remember how far they strived to kill us off. 

Don't recall the club trying to kill us off. I do recall some fans doing so for which they won't be forgiven. But then again, I don't see anyone on here praising or even almost praising their fans

been here before

I wonder if the board will be looking to diversify into bars, hotels, restaurants and the like.

Edited by been here before

Byyy The Light

Fair play to them. Couldn’t care either way. Too much obsession with them on here as if they are some sort of utopian club we should be striving to be.  Embarrassing. Let them get on with it and focus on ourselves.

Seymour M Hersh

As an aside if Petrie is off as well as Farmer does that mean he has to resign all his SFA roles? I seem to remember the pieman greeting that he should be allowed to remain in the SFA role he had after flogging the club to Vlad but got emptied. Or have I got this all wrong. 

7 minutes ago, Boris said:

Gordon putting on a brave face. Just dawning on him the mistake he’s made. (Thought bubble at his heed).

David McCaig

So Hibs join Dundee and Dundee United amongst the ranks of Scottish clubs owned by American businessmen!!

6 minutes ago, londonjambo said:

Don't recall the club trying to kill us off. I do recall some fans doing so for which they won't be forgiven. But then again, I don't see anyone on here praising or even almost praising their fans

Ah yeah I forgot we all like Hibs it's just a handful of fans we dislike.

The seethe towards Petrie and that Farmer fellow was rife on here a few years ago :lol:

15 minutes ago, Boris said:

Leanne Dempster has a striking resemblance to a ventriloquist's dummy.

1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

Yes. There are 18 "nominee" or "investment" companies that hold shares, with names including Bass Rock Investments, Leith Walk Nominees, Duddingston Nominees and Scotland Street Nominees.  Collectively they own around 12% of the shares in the club.  HSL currently stands at 18.8%. The remaining 10% are held by smaller shareholders, most of whom who bought into the share issue in 2015.  

Thought so. Cheers.

4 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

As an aside if Petrie is off as well as Farmer does that mean he has to resign all his SFA roles? I seem to remember the pieman greeting that he should be allowed to remain in the SFA role he had after flogging the club to Vlad but got emptied. Or have I got this all wrong. 

Seems he needed to be at a club to get the SFA job but doesn't need to be once in the job.

The timing of this could be around Petrie getting the job first. 

ginger jambo98
17 minutes ago, londonjambo said:

Fair enough really and it's great for them that they are debt-free without having the trauma that we had to endure to reach that point. I don't think much will change but the idea that this is anything other than very good news for them smacks of the type of jealousy from some of our fans which we would normally associate with them. 

Well done to them and will be interesting to see how much more he is prepared to invest to make them successful - not at all easy in this league as we know.

GC

Debt free thanks to the bad debt they left the then state owned LBG with. 

Meh.

New owners are as much of a gamble as a new manager or a new player.

I doubt this will make any real difference to life tbh.

davemclaren
16 minutes ago, londonjambo said:

GC

Agreed. 

It’s interesting that the FoH rules allow a sale to a wealthy benefactor assuming that a majority ( not sure how large ) vote for it. Good to have that option as things always change over time. However, if we can keep our contributions at a good level there’s no real need. 

Seymour M Hersh
Just now, Mikey1874 said:

Seems he needed to be at a club to get the SFA job but doesn't need to be once in the job.

The timing of this could be around Petrie getting the job first. 

Well if that's correct it smells. In fact it stinks of corruption.

The Old Tolbooth

It can only be a good thing for the club itself to be debt free now and in the hands of someone promising to put a lot of extra funding in place, how it works out in future nobody knows, but no wonder they're getting a little bit excited about it all just now, we would too if the shoe was on the other foot. 

As an aside, if they even remotely come close to challenging the Old Firm duopoly, they'll then feel how we did in 2006 when it quickly dawned on us that the GFA will not allow that to happen. 

I'll never wish those mutants all the best though, and would love to see it end in tragedy :lol: 

queensferryjambo

Seems like an excellent deal for Hibs especially getting rid of their stadium mortgage payments.

Hearts will really need to step it up on the park and keep progressing with our off field activities.

Curious as to what happens with the HSL stuff now. Surely now there is never a way fro them to gain control of the club.

David McCaig

In FoH we have an owner making a seven figure investment each and every season with no expectation of a financial return.

I would assume that HSL is now dead in the water.

vegas-voss
14 minutes ago, londonjambo said:

Agreed. I don't really care what their fans are saying about it. I just thought that some of the comments about him being a fly-by-night fat Yank smacked a little bit of the sort of thing you'd read on Hibs.net if we were in the same position. We should be above all that. 

Aye I don't think Farmer will do that to them

londonjambo
4 minutes ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

Ah yeah I forgot we all like Hibs it's just a handful of fans we dislike.

The seethe towards Petrie and that Farmer fellow was rife on here a few years ago :lol:

Don't remember anyone saying they liked Hibs. I don't like Hibs. But they seem, on the face of it, to have done well out of this. Or am I not allowed to say that ? 

bajthejambo

It sounds like a good deal for them. To suggest otherwise is just foolish. 

We're in a good place and our circumstances will only improve on completion of the main stand. That's all that matters to us.

1 minute ago, queensferryjambo said:

Seems like an excellent deal for Hibs especially getting rid of their stadium mortgage payments.

Hearts will really need to step it up on the park and keep progressing with our off field activities.

Curious as to what happens with the HSL stuff now. Surely now there is never a way fro them to gain control of the club.

Tom Farmer has been good for them. 

But the sound of silence about the fan scheme will be broken. 

So... It will all come down to how much he is willing to put in. If the quoted figure of £6m initial is to be believed, then £3m of that (conservative) goes to paying Tom for his shares. £1-2m for the training ground upgrades? That's the bulk of the initial outlay gone. After that, you have normal footballing income from tickets and transfers (McGinn maybe giving them a wee windfall)... Should definitely help them out.

We on the other hand, will soon have over £1m p/a from FoH, our improved non footballing income, and our regular football income.

Really don't see this making a lot of difference to the balance of power tbh. Not unless he's about to start throwing a couple of million in through sponsorship od some sort. I think he would need to do it through sponsorship to get around FFP, and that is assuming he even wants to put any of his own cash in to the team with no return.

Interesting to see how this develops.

Horatio Caine

Right.  Hopefully the MSM follow the trend and start the rumours about who is picking the team.  Do they have a fax machine at ER?

8 minutes ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

The thing is with Hibs fans, their hatred for us is very generational, and in turn my levels of hatred towards their fans are generational. In my experiences, the older heads have no qualms in praising Hearts where necessary and it's easy to hold an unbiased conversation with them. Ultimately, they appreciate the derbies and realise how healthy it is for both clubs to have each other and our derby.

The younger crowd are a lot more venomous in their hatred for us. For what reasons, I don't know why. I know people my age who absolutely despise us because of Wallace Mercer. When I say my age, I was born 1993, Mercer sold to Robinson in 94, so how these people can have such hatred for a saga that happened long before our memories or lives, is beyond me.

The young ones fail to realise how many Hearts fans were against Mercer's ideologies regarding the Hibs takeover, and how many good Hearts men actually campaigned in the Hands off Hibs movement. Yet, despite that, many Hibs fans, mostly my generation, couldn't wait to see us go out the window when we were in admin. Very short memories indeed.

My opinion on today's news is fair enough, it's hardly a billion pound takeover by some mental rich tycoon. It's a retired businessman, who has put a careful amount into the club. His idea is to surely turn Hibs into a sustainable club with a sound business model, something they haven't done for years. The £6 million or whatever has been paid in, has offset the mortgage, and the rest will be put into the infrastructure of the club, with maybe a small portion towards Heckingbottom's budget should he have targets in mind.

Much ado about nothing I think, and I can't wait to see the club continue to Hibs everything in sight while fans get raging because Mr Deeds hasn't pumped the millions into the club that they think he's promised. :)

queensferryjambo
1 minute ago, Julie1957 said:

The question is does fan ownership work.

I would think Barcelona and Real Madrid would say yes.

I would also say it has worked very well for Hearts remembering the state Hearts were in prior to FOH.

The question is more about whether it can get off the ground and then be sustainable. You still seem to need goodwill by rich supporters as in Motherwell. 

Hibs never had much incentive. Hearts was about saving the club but also a lack of alternatives. Ours still could be temporary if a rich investor came in. 

We have to build 3 new stands to get the pitch up to standard.  105 x 68m  It will be law for top flight football.

vegas-voss
1 minute ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

So... It will all come down to how much he is willing to put in. If the quoted figure of £6m initial is to be believed, then £3m of that (conservative) goes to paying Tom for his shares. £1-2m for the training ground upgrades? That's the bulk of the initial outlay gone. After that, you have normal footballing income from tickets and transfers (McGinn maybe giving them a wee windfall)... Should definitely help them out.

We on the other hand, will soon have over £1m p/a from FoH, our improved non footballing income, and our regular football income.

Really don't see this making a lot of difference to the balance of power tbh. Not unless he's about to start throwing a couple of million in through sponsorship od some sort. I think he would need to do it through sponsorship to get around FFP, and that is assuming he even wants to put any of his own cash in to the team with no return.

Interesting to see how this develops.

We will both be the same as what we are both teams will by living within there means.

Leveins Battalion

This place is weird,slate Hearts your a Hibs fan then slate Hibs and your "jealous"??

We have to build 3 new stands to get the pitch up to standard.  105 x 68m  It will be law for top flight football.

No, we really don't, Julie.

Oh, and of course fan ownership works, we have just built and fitted out an £18m stadium... or did you miss that?

3 minutes ago, Julie1957 said:

With a sustainable model, why not? We've got 8,000 pledgers with FoH, which brings a very steady income in to the club. The work Ann Budge is doing now is putting everything into place, so that when the fans 'take over', all that needs done is to sustain it. 

There'll still be a committee of elected board members really pulling the strings, but the fans will be pumping the money into the club. On paper I can't see why it wouldn't work, but I guess we'll never really know until it happens.