• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• It should have been ten

• Mr Elwood P

• Jammy T

8 minutes ago, Prof said:

Makes you wonder how many of the negative posters have actually watched JW play.

I don't think anyone has said anything about his ability to play football.   At least 3 years ago anyway.

The main concern is, he hasn't played much football since he left, and none in 2019.

The other concern is his attitude and professionalism.

Also, he is coming back from a long term injury.

Edited by Lovecraft

pettigrewsstylist
2 hours ago, old school tie said:

Naismith, Walker, and White have one good knee between them. Levein just loves a gamble.

Yip. The old if it wasnt for the injuries chat.

pettigrewsstylist
1 hour ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Mid anything that’s all the more reason why Clare should be afforded more time and patience by the fans. He isn’t on some quarters however, including the poster I was replied to in the first instance: @Clerry Jambo. It was him and @Nookie Bear (I think? - apologies if not), who were making the comparisons, and that is what prompted me to make my observation in the first place.

How much time and patience shoukd Clare be shown? Im genuinley interested. Am i correct in thinking he is 1 yr into 3 yr contract, ( could go check, hav'nt).

6 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

How much time and patience shoukd Clare be shown? Im genuinley interested. Am i correct in thinking he is 1 yr into 3 yr contract, ( could go check, hav'nt).

Is Clare being utilised properly? He looks frustrated most of the time, but expect to see much improvement from him this season

Guest ToqueJambo
23 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Probably more than 30 games in a seriously underperforming team. He was signed as backup and was forces into being our main attacking midfielder - or even attacking/creative player full stop - after the injuries and disruption, and all while settling into a new country and league and recovering from injury. Even then 6 goals is a good return and he put in some decent shifts when he got more confident.

Give the guy a chance in a settled position and lineup. Or write him off now, your choice. 

Edited by ToqueJambo

A_A wehatethehibs

I reckon we’ll see the best of Clare with Djoum gone - play Clare as deep lying playmaker alongside Haring

25 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Probably more than 30 games in a seriously underperforming team. He was signed as backup and was forces into being our main attacking midfielder - or even attacking/creative player full stop - after the injuries and disruption, and all while settling into a new country and league and recovering from injury. Even then 6 goals is a good return and he put in some decent shifts when he got more confident.

Give the guy a chance in a settled position and lineup. Or write him off now, your choice. 

He must have found the language barrier, the foreign food, and terrible weather almost impossible to deal with compered to what he was used to down near the equator.

1 hour ago, Prof said:

Makes you wonder how many of the negative posters have actually watched JW play.

Out of interest when was the last time you saw him play?

I'm one of the 'negative posters' and I'd wager I've seen him play more recently than you have.

Guest ToqueJambo
12 minutes ago, 7628mm said:

He must have found the language barrier, the foreign food, and terrible weather almost impossible to deal with compered to what he was used to down near the equator.

Aye very good. Did you move country at 21? 

We constantly hear of young Scots going south and taking time to settle. Not beyond the realms of possibility  it works the other way.

Edited by ToqueJambo

2 hours ago, Prof said:

What? You think that those of us who don’t fancy him very much haven’t seen him play? Is that a serious post? :rofl:

1 hour ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

I’d be giving him next season now that he’s not fresh of the operating table, adjusting to a new league, and with the benefit of pre/season training personally. Confident he’ll be a lot more potent next season.

BRAVEHEART1874

Signing walker might just stop djoumn, wighton, clare etc. getting selected down the left and I think he will be motivated to do well even if it turns out only to be another lafferty sevco wannabe ;) 

Geoff Kilpatrick
3 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Eh? He was indeed very good in the Championship but his best seasons were 2015/16 and 2016/17 until Neilson left, when he really matured as an attacking midfielder. Even under Cathro he was still our most important attacker (which wasn't saying much). So just over two years ago. Even the media thought he should have been in the Scotland squad at that time.

Forget the Rangers shite for a minute. If we were signing a different 26 year old with his record we'd be delighted. Greg Stewart, for example, was rubbish in England, came back up the road at an older age than Walker and found his form again. No reason Walker can't.

It's nothing to do with the "Rangers shite"! He's been crocked for 2 years with an injury that is going to be a major risk for the rest of his career. Hence no thanks and this idea of his "A game".

You're another one who doesn't read a thread and just assumes.

3 hours ago, Taffin said:

Yes, it was also all Cathro's fault, Levein's fault and Paul Cook's fault that it never works out for JW...that's seems to be the issue with him, it's always someone else's fault.

Ok, in everything I've said there this is what you pick up on?

Everyone was shite under cathro, however, walker had some decent games when he was in charge. At no point was it leveins fault, if I remember rightly levein didnt want him to go despite the drop in form. As for Paul Cook, I don't have a ******* clue, I didn't pay that much attention, I just remember that there was a non performance based issue. 

Walker may or may not turn good, but unlike most of the signings we've made we know he is more than capable in this league.

Unknown user
5 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Our issue has been 'lesser' teams that come to Tynie and sit in, and you don't get to hit the ball over the top and use your pace in those games. What you need are players who have the ability to move the ball on quickly and are comfortable playing football in tight spaces.

I agree, and if you look at Jamie's stats with us, it's full of goals and assists against the smaller teams in the league, he does seem to fit the bill for what we've been missing in these fixtures.

14:49

WALKER HEADING TO HEARTS

Hearts will re-sign Jamie Walker once he negotiates his release from Wigan Athletic, Sky Sports News understands.

The midfielder, who turned 26 today, played over 180 times for Hearts between 2012-2018 before leaving in the January transfer window last year.

Guest ToqueJambo
53 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

It's nothing to do with the "Rangers shite"! He's been crocked for 2 years with an injury that is going to be a major risk for the rest of his career. Hence no thanks and this idea of his "A game".

You said he was at his peak in 2014. That was simply demonstrably wrong. He broke through in 2014/15. He was good that season, better the next season at a higher level and even better the one after until injuries, Rangers, Cathro and his form suffered. As I said. Yes he's been out injured for a long time as have many players. It doesn't mean his career is ended and he's forgotten how to play football.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Geoff Kilpatrick
2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

You said he was at his peak in 2014. That was simply demonstrably wrong. He broke through in 2014/15. He was good that season, better the next season at a higher level and even better the one after until injuries, Rangers, Cathro and his form suffered. As I said. Yes he's been out injured for a long time as have many players. It doesn't mean his career is ended and he's forgotten how to play football.

I never said his peak was 2014. I said that this "A-game" was turning the clock back 5 years. I'm not dissing his first couple of seasons after promotion where he was good and yes, he did merit a Scotland call-up at the time. However, he's barely kicked a ball since leaving us and prior to leaving us he was almost perma crocked with a chronic injury. That's why he will never reach those heights again and why I think this is a mistake.

Guest ToqueJambo
8 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

I never said his peak was 2014. I said that this "A-game" was turning the clock back 5 years. I'm not dissing his first couple of seasons after promotion where he was good and yes, he did merit a Scotland call-up at the time. However, he's barely kicked a ball since leaving us and prior to leaving us he was almost perma crocked with a chronic injury. That's why he will never reach those heights again and why I think this is a mistake.

But that's wrong too. His A game wasn't 5 years ago. It was 2014/15, 2015/16 and at least half of 2016/17, getting better each season. Anyhow. Greg Stewart came back up and turned his career around. Calum Paterson had serious injuries and won YPOTY for his new club in his first season back then was his club's top scorer in the EPL the next season. Plenty others have. No idea why some Hearts fans feel the need to be so down on our own players.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Geoff Kilpatrick
Just now, ToqueJambo said:

But that's wrong too. His A game wasn't 5 years ago. It was 2014/15, 2015/16 and at least half of 2016/17, getting better each season. Anyhow. Greg Stewart came back up and turned his career around. Calum Paterson had serious injuries and won YPOTY for his new club in his first season back then was his club's top scorer in the EPL the next season. Plenty others have. No idea why some Hearts fans feel the need tone so down on our own players.

What injuries did Greg Stewart suffer? And Calum Paterson was always a much better player than Walker for starters but that's a digression. It comes down to Walker playing in a position we don't need, i.e. off the striker and Walker being a massive injury risk. That's it! Nothing more, nothing less.

Nookie Bear
9 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Appearance stays suggest he played most games and missed only a handful of league games each season. 

Whether he was fully fit is another matter. 

1 hour ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

How can he have been crocked for 2 years when he played games both seasons?

Also what happened to the “certain players just play better at certain clubs” argument that is so oft quoted and has been used for a proper hun who successfully worked his ticket there - Lafferty.

Edited by Jammy T

i wish jj was my dad

I felt Jamie completely disrespected the club when he lifted his skirt to the bad guys and packed the tools away. I'm also concerned about his fitness and attitude too but if he screws the nut he can be a big asset again and an able deputy for Naismith if he is unavailable. 

One thing I will say about resigning Walker is that it is hardly inventive. Wish Levein would find us players like he use to I.e  Valois/Mark De Vries. Plucked from obscurity a became great players. 

HillmanHearts

Jamie's a player.

If his fitness is fine and his head is in the right place, then he's a top top signing.

Tailor made to unlock tight games at Tynie.

2 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

What? You think that those of us who don’t fancy him very much haven’t seen him play? Is that a serious post? :rofl:

Based on some of the slavering drivel I have read about JW on JKB - a definite yes.

13 minutes ago, Prof said:

Based on some of the slavering drivel I have read about JW on JKB - a definite yes.

Wow. You think that’s more likely than people just having a different opinion to you? No worries my man. I’ll leave you to get on with that. ?

slashishere
41 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

One thing I will say about resigning Walker is that it is hardly inventive. Wish Levein would find us players like he use to I.e  Valois/Mark De Vries. Plucked from obscurity a became great players. 

If there’s a common theme with posters on this board it’s resigning old players.

for what is worth I think signing JW will be a good thing and let’s hope Levein has a MDV up his sleeve as well

1 hour ago, indianajones said:

Utter depressing shite from Levein getting this snake back. 

Exactly.  Downing tools for 18 months, intentionally getting sent off against Aberdeen so he didn't have to play against his beloved Huns. Turned down an offer to make him the highest paid player and ran his contract down so we got feck-all.

Snake indeed.

On 03/06/2019 at 19:40, Barack said:

And the other even less...

55 minutes ago, HillmanHearts said:

Jamie's a player.

If his fitness is fine and his head is in the right place, then he's a top top signing.

Tailor made to unlock tight games at Tynie.

I don’t remember him ever “unlocking tight games”. I always seen him as a player who should be able to produce something when we are playing poorly but never did. Happy to be corrected

In the last 20 years, we’ve had three players who really upset the Hearts support by trying to get a move to Ibrox by any means possible, dirty or otherwise: Paul Ritchie, Andy Webster and Jamie Walker. None of them ever had a Rangers career to speak of: Webster played twice, Ritchie not at all, and Walker never even got his move. I derive great satisfaction from this.

Which of our players moved directly to Rangers and had successful careers there? Alan McLaren, Davie Weir and Neil McCann - none of whom asked for a move, and all of whom earned the club a decent fee.

13 minutes ago, Yoda said:

Exactly.  Downing tools for 18 months, intentionally getting sent off against Aberdeen so he didn't have to play against his beloved Huns. Turned down an offer to make him the highest paid player and ran his contract down so we got feck-all.

Snake indeed.

I might be wrong but I thought we got 300k  as a transfer fee for JW.

Geoff Kilpatrick
1 minute ago, luckydug said:

I might be wrong but I thought we got 300k  as a transfer fee for JW.

:rofl:

Ah, the old Kickback joke returns!

will-i-am-a-jambo
14 minutes ago, Doc Rob said:

In the last 20 years, we’ve had three players who really upset the Hearts support by trying to get a move to Ibrox by any means possible, dirty or otherwise: Paul Ritchie, Andy Webster and Jamie Walker. None of them ever had a Rangers career to speak of: Webster played twice, Ritchie not at all, and Walker never even got his move. I derive great satisfaction from this.

Which of our players moved directly to Rangers and had successful careers there? Alan McLaren, Davie Weir and Neil McCann - none of whom asked for a move, and all of whom earned the club a decent fee.

That's how l would look at it as well. You can add Alan Johnston to the snake list. I'm Sure he engineered a move  to the old Huns via Rennes but like the others l don't think his career hit the same heights. As regards to Jamie Walker l think he will hopefully redeem himself if he applies himself and lm sure Levein will kick his arse otherwise.

8 minutes ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

That's how l would look at it as well. You can add Alan Johnston to the snake list. I'm Sure he engineered a move  to the old Huns via Rennes but like the others l don't think his career hit the same heights. As regards to Jamie Walker l think he will hopefully redeem himself if he applies himself and lm sure Levein will kick his arse otherwise.

I’d give Johnston a pass TBH. I was gutted when he wouldn’t sign a new contract - he was the first key player we lost on a Bosman, I think - but I don’t think it was because Rangers tapped him up. He left us in 1996 - he didn’t move to Ibrox until 4 years, 2 clubs (plus 2 on loan) and nearly 140 games later. I don’t doubt he always wanted to be a Rangers player, but he didn’t actively try to screw us over in the way the others did.

I meant to add to my last post that, of course, part of Rangers’ strategy has always been to weaken the opposition by signing (or at least unsettling) their best players, whether you intend to play them or not, and they certainly achieved that. But the players concerned will have learned their lesson, and that’s worthwhile.

Guest ToqueJambo
30 minutes ago, Doc Rob said:

I'm not sure one of Scotland's largest clubs screwing young home grown players over is worth celebrating. There's a huge difference with the other players as Rangers were prepared to pay a fair fee. We can blame Rangers for their dirty tricks or we can blame young players, or more realistically their agents. I prefer to blame Rangers and agents personally.

Guest ToqueJambo
6 hours ago, Taffin said:

Yes, it was also all Cathro's fault, Levein's fault and Paul Cook's fault that it never works out for JW...that's seems to be the issue with him, it's always someone else's fault.

JW has had a very decent career so far, even considering injuries. Establishing himself in the first team as a teenager, getting to the fringes of the Scotland squad... A goals to games goal ratio for Hearts that's up there with any of our midfielders in recent years. How has it never worked out for him?

Edited by ToqueJambo

The Future's Maroon
6 hours ago, SuperstarSteve said:

All depends on what kinda form walker hits when he returns. 

more than likely he won’t be half the player he was before leaving and they won’t be interested, but one very good season in our Top flight and they possibly will be interested again. It’s what they do. 

His failure at league one won’t matter a jot if he can do at this level. 

Only thing that would put them off is our asking price, Which would need to bet met if a long term deal is signed. 

Spot on

48 minutes ago, Doc Rob said:

Weir never went to Rangers from Hearts

1 hour ago, Doc Rob said:

47 minutes ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

13 minutes ago, Diego10 said:

Weir never went to Rangers from Hearts

Damn. Diego beat me to it.

will-i-am-a-jambo
35 minutes ago, Doc Rob said:

I’d give Johnston a pass TBH. I was gutted when he wouldn’t sign a new contract - he was the first key player we lost on a Bosman, I think - but I don’t think it was because Rangers tapped him up. He left us in 1996 - he didn’t move to Ibrox until 4 years, 2 clubs (plus 2 on loan) and nearly 140 games later. I don’t doubt he always wanted to be a Rangers player, but he didn’t actively try to screw us over in the way the others did.

I meant to add to my last post that, of course, part of Rangers’ strategy has always been to weaken the opposition by signing (or at least unsettling) their best players, whether you intend to play them or not, and they certainly achieved that. But the players concerned will have learned their lesson, and that’s worthwhile.

Fair enough mate l didn't realise there was such a big gap between Hearts and going to Rangers for Johnston. I was sure he tried to go to Rangers before Rennes but my memory isn't the best so happy to be corrected. I agree on your summation on Rangers dirty tricks when it comes to buying Scottish players.

will-i-am-a-jambo
5 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Damn. Diego beat me to it.

I Forgot Weir was at Everton before going to Rangers well remembered chaps.