• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• It should have been ten

• Mr Elwood P

• Jammy T

Jamie Walker. There’s no doubting his talent, but his attitude stinks. If he returns he’ll have some work to do if he’s going to win back the support he enjoyed before his head was turned. It’ll be up to him though to show whether he’s bothered at all about the fans who pay his wages. 

Mr Elwood P
12 minutes ago, Taffin said:

?? Are you suggesting him as a signing? 

No. He has just signed for Rangers. I’m sure you can see the comparison to Jamie Walker?

SuperstarSteve

Walker returning is a no brainer for me. 

My only worry is when he hits form and “they” come calling again, which they will. It’ll only be the same drama all over again. 

Albeit I have that same worry about halkett, if/when a bid comes in for the lad, he will want to go. 

13 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:

With regards Clare, far too many excuses for him. He has been very disappointing ( to put it kindly )

However lets just hope Jamie and Clare can hit it off together

I see things a little differently to that. To me, it looks as though Clare and Walker have both had periods where they have looked good, and periods where they have not made enough of an impact. What I notice though on here, is that a few posters seem to know Jamie and his family, and because of that he is afforded a free pass for his ****wittery, with excuses made for him left right and centre. Clare on the other hand is afforded no such empathy despite arriving fresh off the surgeon's table.

Clare = lazy primadonna who doesn't give a shit.

Walker = poor wee misunderstood PHM who has sadly lost his way.

When I see things like that going on, I tend to root for the guy getting a raw deal even harder tbh. It's sadly typical of this place though, and often with the support in general. Walker has been at Hearts longer than Clare has, and he has had longer to impress, which he did do initially. Clare has not even had a full season. I see no reason to write him off after such a short period of time, when others excused all sorts of shenanigans purely because of where they come from.

Nookie Bear
1 minute ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

I see things a little differently to that. To me, it looks as though Clare and Walker have both had periods where they have looked good, and periods where they have not made enough of an impact. What I notice though on here, is that a few posters seem to know Jamie and his family, and because of that he is afforded a free pass for his ****wittery, with excuses made for him left right and centre. Clare on the other hand is afforded no such empathy despite arriving fresh off the surgeon's table.

When I see things like that going on, I tend to root for the guy getting a raw deal even harder tbh. It's sadly typical of this place though, and often with the support in general. Walker has been at Hearts longer than Clare has, and he has had longer to impress, which he did do initially. Clare has not even had a full season. I see no reason to write him off after such a short period of time, when others excused all sorts of shenanigans purely because of where they come from.

PHM always get a bit more leeway.

See our Head Coach for a start.

GorgieFifeLife
3 minutes ago, SuperstarSteve said:

My only worry is when he hits form and “they” come calling again, which they will. It’ll only be the same drama all over again. 

Albeit I have that same worry about halkett, if/when a bid comes in for the lad, he will want to go. 

They wont come near him now. They are signing players on a higher level than Walker will ever reach.  Walker will be playing in Scottish Championship side before he is 30.

Nookie Bear
20 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Wallker's A game? We are five years on from 2014. The idea that he will miraculously roll back the years on those knees is wishful thinking in the extreme.

Plus we still need wide players. We had no pace to get behind defences last season.

Our issue has been 'lesser' teams that come to Tynie and sit in, and you don't get to hit the ball over the top and use your pace in those games. What you need are players who have the ability to move the ball on quickly and are comfortable playing football in tight spaces.

Robbo-Jambo

Levein says he was looking at signing 3 attacking plays.

If Naismith and Walker are included in that, that just leaves one more.

Still short on strikers if that's the case IMO.

joondalupjambo

If Walker comes back fit then good and could have a contest between him and Clare for a place in the team depending on how CL sets up for particular games.  For me that has to be a big plus because it could make them both fight harder for that place and that can surely only be good for the team overall.  Competition could bring the best out of them.

10 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

No. He has just signed for Rangers. I’m sure you can see the comparison to Jamie Walker?

Errrrm, no, I can't. Other than wanting to join Rangers? Fill me in?

Went down south played only around 20 games in the championship after a season playing 40 odd games up here. Then moved back up here and played 30 odd games. So one season where he didn't play as much.

Seems to fit what I was describing. Went away played at a higher level but not a huge amount of games then came back here and did well.

Walker went away hardly played at the same/lower level for 18 months after being off form for 6 months at Hearts. So 2 years not playing/off form.

Edit: apologies if any of that isn't accurate. I had to look it up. I wouldn't know Greg Steward from Adam.

Edited by Taffin

Mr Elwood P
6 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Folk are generally far too precious about Hearts. If Elvis had come back and played at the same level I wouldn’t have cared less about his Celtic antics. Their job is to play football not win a popularity contest!

Mr Elwood P
7 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Errrrm, no, I can't. Other than wanting to join Rangers? Fill me in?

Went down south played only around 20 games in the championship after a season playing 40 odd games up here. Then moved back up here and played 30 odd games. So one season where he didn't play as much.

Seems to fit what I was describing. Went away played at a higher level but not a huge amount of games then came back here and did well.

Walker went away hardly played at the same/lower level for 18 months after being off form for 6 months at Hearts. So 2 years not playing/off form.

Edit: apologies if any of that isn't accurate. I had to look it up. I wouldn't know Greg Steward from Adam.

Clearly!

Both were good players in Scotland, went to England and didn’t cut it and have returned - or are about to return - north. I believe Walker can make the same impact back at Hearts that Stewart made at Kilmarnock. 

wheatfield to sheffield
8 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Charlie Adam? Is he the missing third piece in the jigsaw?

SuperstarSteve
12 minutes ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

They wont come near him now. They are signing players on a higher level than Walker will ever reach.  Walker will be playing in Scottish Championship side before he is 30.

More than likely true. Although Walker could just as easily play top flight untill 32 depending on fitness. As his ability has always been there. 

It seems that the job of the fans, according to some, is to make it as hard as possible for a player to make an impression.

I don't think of players as having something to prove to me. I see players as my team and it's my role to provide the support and encouragement they need in order to thrive. It's not difficult.

All this "the jury's out" stuff. I'm a fan, not a juror.

1 hour ago, Homme said:

True. So what do we do then? Sign players that have always been shite? 

Na, that hasn't been working out too well for us lately. 

7 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Folk are generally far too precious about Hearts. If Elvis had come back and played at the same level I wouldn’t have cared less about his Celtic antics. Their job is to play football not win a popularity contest!

Not sure that applies to the point I was making to be honest. Walker’s ****wittery is only a part of the issue for me, and not the biggest part. His drop in performances are the biggest thing. Yourself and another poster are discussing on another thread Walker’s injury situation, and agree that he passed a medical at Wigan and another at Peterborough, so he can’t blame injury on his lack of performances in his last six months with us, or his lack of impact down south. You’ll forgive me if I’m not falling over myself to see those sort of performances again at Hearts. If it wasn’t injury, then what was it? 

10 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Clearly!

Both were good players in Scotland, went to England and didn’t cut it and have returned - or are about to return - north. I believe Walker can make the same impact back at Hearts that Stewart made at Kilmarnock. 

Oops! 

Stewart didn't cut it in the Championship. Walker didn't cut it in league 1. There's a pretty big difference. If we were offered a player playing semi regularly in the Championship I'd be quite content and interested. If we were offered a player with a significant injury history who hadn't cut it in league one and had a loan cut short I'd be very wary and not keen.

That's not even accounting for Walker's previous with us. I'd be more than happy to overlook that if I thought we'd be getting a good player back.

All opinions though, I used to love watching Walker so thoroughly hope it works out for us. Just strikes me as a massive gamble due to his last 18-24 months from a purely footballing perspective which people seem to be just turning a blind eye to imo.

Mr Elwood P
3 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Not sure that applies to the point I was making to be honest. Walker’s ****wittery is only a part of the issue for me, and not the biggest part. His drop in performances are the biggest thing. Yourself and another poster are discussing on another thread Walker’s injury situation, and agree that he passed a medical at Wigan and another at Peterborough, so he can’t blame injury on his lack of performances in his last six months with us, or his lack of impact down south. You’ll forgive me if I’m not falling over myself to see those sort of performances again at Hearts. If it wasn’t injury, then what was it? 

From my perspective it was psychological. He had a bad time under Cathro and then had his head turned by the prospect of more money in Glasgow or England. He has seen that the grass wasn’t greener after all and will come back galvanised to make the best of the peak years of his career. I think he will have an outstanding season. 

Mr Elwood P
1 minute ago, Taffin said:

Oops! 

Stewart didn't cut it in the Championship. Walker didn't cut it in league 1. There's a pretty big difference. If we were offered a player playing semi regularly in the Championship I'd be quite content and interested. If we were offered a player with a significant injury history who hadn't cut it in league one and had a loan cut short I'd be very wary and not keen.

That's not even accounting for Walker's previous with us. I'd be more than happy to overlook that if I thought we'd be getting a good player back.

All opinions though, I used to love watching Walker so thoroughly hope it works out for us. Just strikes me as a massive gamble due to his last 18-24 months from a purely footballing perspective which people seem to be just turning a blind eye to imo.

Wigan are currently an English Championship club. We are signing him from the English Championship. 

2 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

From my perspective it was psychological. He had a bad time under Cathro and then had his head turned by the prospect of more money in Glasgow or England. He has seen that the grass wasn’t greener after all and will come back galvanised to make the best of the peak years of his career. I think he will have an outstanding season. 

In a nutshell. I’m the first to blab on about honing the right attitude and maintaining it but sometimes the better players see a situation beyond help and become disillusioned. 

I think it went that way under Cathro. 

Sort of had enough of this subject now. If he comes in, let’s see if he’s got the hunger. There’s really nothing else for it.  People have all different viewpoints on it, positive and negative, and that won’t change.  

Stephen Muddie
4 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

He left a sour taste before, that's undeniable, and I can see where all sides of this debate are coming from. He will be a gamble, although a more educated one than previous signings granted.

I'm with you here Mr EP

Wigan are currently an English Championship club. We are signing him from the English Championship. 

How many games in the Championship has he played for them?

He failed to cut it at Peterborough...

Anyway, this is pointless. We both want him to be excellent. You think recent history suggests he will be, I think it suggests the opposite. We'll find out soon enough. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Edited by Taffin

GorgieFifeLife

He hasn't played in the English Championship and never will.

2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

How many games in the Championship has he played for them?

He failed to cut it at Peterborough...

I'm sure I read that the issue at Peterborough was with the manager and not that he wasn't able to cut it.

Also, the whole 3 attacking players thing and whether that includes SN and JW, levein also said he was bringing in 2 strikers so it depends on your interpretation I suppose.

As for walker, we have been crying out for players who can change a game and do something different, these players are difficult to come by on our budget (at least those who are of a known quantity or are consistent and able to perform in our league). Walker is capable of doing this, yes he has had a torrid year or 2 and yes he left under a bit of a cloud. But if he can get back and playing then the players around him will surely benefit.

Mr Elwood P
11 minutes ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

He hasn't played in the English Championship and never will.

I didn’t say he had ...

rudi must stay
1 hour ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Wallker's A game? We are five years on from 2014. The idea that he will miraculously roll back the years on those knees is wishful thinking in the extreme.

Plus we still need wide players. We had no pace to get behind defences last season.

Walker is deceptive, he's a clever player who is always on the move. He'll work hard and can score goals. He was good in 2016 and 2017 as well, getting Hearts over 12 goals both seasons IIRC. Lafferty was spun as a great striker for us with 19, say what you want about him and the transfer saga but he was a great player for us.

The team has pace (Clare and Mulraney), our final ball or decision let us down. Naismith's clinicalness Infront of goal made a difference. But that comes with experience I guess. I can see a place for Walker in the team and perhaps Olly Lee leaving is where he'll fit in. If that's the case it suggests a vastly different playing style :)

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Eh? He was indeed very good in the Championship but his best seasons were 2015/16 and 2016/17 until Neilson left, when he really matured as an attacking midfielder. Even under Cathro he was still our most important attacker (which wasn't saying much). So just over two years ago. Even the media thought he should have been in the Scotland squad at that time.

Forget the Rangers shite for a minute. If we were signing a different 26 year old with his record we'd be delighted. Greg Stewart, for example, was rubbish in England, came back up the road at an older age than Walker and found his form again. No reason Walker can't.

pettigrewsstylist
1 hour ago, Clerry Jambo said:

With regards Clare, far too many excuses for him. He has been very disappointing ( to put it kindly )

However lets just hope Jamie and Clare can hit it off together

No bite. Heart of a mouse. Will struggle in Scotland unles he finds some. May well be star elsewhere. Obvious potential and talent.

Hope he grows a pair and comes good at hearts.

Big big 6 mths ahead.

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

I like both players but they can't really be compared. One is still making his way in the top flight in Scotland and the other is an experienced and proven SPFL player. Both are good young players IMO, with Clare still a prospect. Why compare them? Clare should do better next season but Walker should definitely eb expected to hit the ground running. He should be approaching his peak in a year or so. Clare's got 5 or 6 years to get to that point.

pettigrewsstylist

Lots of chat about Walkers knees. Ive not seen his surgeons report or any physios. Im content to let club view it and decide. 

Nobody interested in SN operations to same extent and he is yet to return to playing.

Agenda driven clearly .

1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

I like both players but they can't really be compared. One is still making his way in the top flight in Scotland and the other is an experienced and proven SPFL player. Both are good young players IMO, with Clare still a prospect. Why compare them? Clare should do better next season but Walker should definitely eb expected to hit the ground running. He should be approaching his peak in a year or so. Clare's got 5 or 6 years to get to that point.

I compare them because it is a comparisons that was being talked about already. People were saying they couldn’t understand the negativity towards Walker, when Clare is this that and the next thing. I am just pointing out that Walker gets afforded a lot more empathy or sympathy than Clare does.

1 hour ago, SuperstarSteve said:

Rangers are not going to try to sign Walker. That boat sailed long ago.

Walker has proven that he cant cut it in League One so why would Rangers want him now?

If we sign him then he has done well for himself to get a move back to us. When he left for Wigan I predicted he'd be playing for Motherwell of St Johnstone in 2 years time.

Guest ToqueJambo
3 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

I compare them because it is a comparisons that was being talked about already. People were saying they couldn’t understand the negativity towards Walker, when Clare is this that and the next thing. I am just pointing out that Walker gets afforded a lot more empathy or sympathy than Clare does.

\

Well Walker is a much safer bet as a signing. Clare is still mostly potential right now.

11 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Lots of chat about Walkers knees. Ive not seen his surgeons report or any physios. Im content to let club view it and decide. 

Nobody interested in SN operations to same extent and he is yet to return to playing.

Agenda driven clearly .

I have concerns about Naismiths knees as we cant afford him to spend half the season on the sidelines like he did last season.

The difference is though that Naismith is more than twice the player that Walker is or ever will be and is worth the risk.

Edited by Lambo85

4 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Agenda driven clearly .

I would put that down to Naismith’s performances not crashing through the floor like Walker’s did. People are rightly a bit cautious about Walker’s return, because they don’t want the version that stank the place out for six months, but would welcome the guy who was a good player for us before that. There is no such worry with Naismith.

4 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

\

Well Walker is a much safer bet as a signing. Clare is still mostly potential right now.

Mid anything that’s all the more reason why Clare should be afforded more time and patience by the fans. He isn’t on some quarters however, including the poster I was replied to in the first instance: @Clerry Jambo. It was him and @Nookie Bear (I think? - apologies if not), who were making the comparisons, and that is what prompted me to make my observation in the first place.

Edited by Icon of Symmetry

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Mid anything that’s all the more reason why Clare should be afforded more time and patience by the fans. He is t on some quarters however, including the poster I was replied to in the first instance: @Clerry Jambo. It was him who was making the comparisons, and that is what prompted me to make the observation in the first place.

I'm agreeing with you on Clare. Excuse me for intruding on your private conversation.

Just now, ToqueJambo said:

I'm agreeing with you on Clare. Excuse me for intruding on your private conversation.

Not at all. That’s not what I meant. You questioned why a comparison should be made between the two, in a reply to me. I was only pointing out that the comparison was already being made, and I was just giving my point of view on that comparison.

49 minutes ago, Gav M said:

I'm sure I read that the issue at Peterborough was with the manager and not that he wasn't able to cut it.

Also, the whole 3 attacking players thing and whether that includes SN and JW, levein also said he was bringing in 2 strikers so it depends on your interpretation I suppose.

As for walker, we have been crying out for players who can change a game and do something different, these players are difficult to come by on our budget (at least those who are of a known quantity or are consistent and able to perform in our league). Walker is capable of doing this, yes he has had a torrid year or 2 and yes he left under a bit of a cloud. But if he can get back and playing then the players around him will surely benefit.

Yes, it was also all Cathro's fault, Levein's fault and Paul Cook's fault that it never works out for JW...that's seems to be the issue with him, it's always someone else's fault.

AllyjamboDerbyshire
50 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

As I remember it Walker had his last good (some might say brilliant) game for Hearts in more or less Hearts last good game under Cathro. Walker's decline was more or less in line with the team's decline but no doubt exaggerated by his desire to leave/join TRFC. I'm not excusing Walker's attitude at the time, but Cathro didn't come across as a manager capable of improving a player's attitude nor to get the best out of him. Hopefully Walker has learned where the grass is more beautiful (couldn't say greener) and that Levein is the man to get the once young exciting player back and playing where he feels he belongs.

SuperstarSteve
45 minutes ago, Lambo85 said:

Rangers are not going to try to sign Walker. That boat sailed long ago.

Walker has proven that he cant cut it in League One so why would Rangers want him now?

If we sign him then he has done well for himself to get a move back to us. When he left for Wigan I predicted he'd be playing for Motherwell of St Johnstone in 2 years time.

All depends on what kinda form walker hits when he returns. 

more than likely he won’t be half the player he was before leaving and they won’t be interested, but one very good season in our Top flight and they possibly will be interested again. It’s what they do. 

His failure at league one won’t matter a jot if he can do at this level. 

Only thing that would put them off is our asking price, Which would need to bet met if a long term deal is signed. 

4 minutes ago, SuperstarSteve said:

All depends on what kinda form walker hits when he returns. 

more than likely he won’t be half the player he was before leaving and they won’t be interested, but one very good season in our Top flight and they possibly will be interested again. It’s what they do. 

His failure at league one won’t matter a jot if he can do at this level. 

Only thing that would put them off is our asking price, Which would need to bet met if a long term deal is signed. 

If Bolton were smart, they would include a future % if they are letting him go for free.

I'm hoping what we are doing, is taking him on loan and only paying a % of his wages.

1 minute ago, Lovecraft said:

If Bolton were smart, they would include a future % if they are letting him go for free.

I'm hoping what we are doing, is taking him on loan and only paying a % of his wages.

That would be very smart by Bolton...

:D

2 minutes ago, Whatever said:

That would be very smart by Bolton...

:D

Hahaha

Sorry.  Got my shitty English clubs mixed up.