***OFFICIAL SUMMER TRANSFER THREAD***

Absolute Scenes

pettigrewsstylist
2 hours ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

Really don’t like the one more comment. Looks like it will be Walker, who could be great if he’s fit and has his head straight but we need at least a proper leader in the middle of the park on top of that.

Having said this I don’t believe Levein only wants one more tbh.

Neither do i. Whyte, Naismith and Walker are all risks for injury reasons. Maclean and Wighton cant find the onion bag and DV has gone. Was hoping to get a bit of engine room CM signing. God knows we need one after watching the slowmo sidesteppers all season. JW will bring goal threat while fit, but hes not him.

Mulraney and Burns are not LBs in a million yrs. Suspect he is watching how Whyte is over July matches and see if he can comeback and hold fort till Garuccio back. Doubt he will want Hickey having that pessure so soon.

• Replies 12.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Beast Boy

• Cruyff Turn

• Bazzas right boot

Brighton Jambo

I think if Djoum goes he will look to replace him but as it stands we don’t know.

if we get who we expect I think that is excellent business so far and also in terms of some of the dead wood we have cleared out. 

I also think we do have a lot of centre midfielders on the books and while I have serious doubts they are up to the top quality we need I can see why he isn’t keen to add more numbers.  I also think he will look to Clare to really step up this season.  

Edited by Brighton Jambo

Our main areas for me were central creative midfield, striker and in wide areas.

Washington ticks the box for striker.

Naismith ticks the box for creative midfielder (and striker if needed)

Walker ticks the box for wide area (and creative midfielder)

Centrally i'd still be wanting more.

Djoum re-signing would be nice but a clean break is maybe needed for both.

I also think Levein will view Ryan Edwards as a new signing after his end of season form.

Left back was probably also a concern but Aidy White is now in the squad.

What's weird is that Levein has publicly acknowledged that we need a winger a couple of times leading up to the window. If we are supposedly done then is he expecting walker to play wide? Still feel as though we need someone quick out there 

Hungry hippo
1 minute ago, BigAlim said:

What's weird is that Levein has publicly acknowledged that we need a winger a couple of times leading up to the window. If we are supposedly done then is he expecting walker to play wide? Still feel as though we need someone quick out there 

Walker and Mulraney cover both types of winger/wide player ie direct and clever v pace. If Mulraney can continue his recent development he could still be a big player for us. Squad number of 11 too so likely to be well in CL's plans.

Bazzas right boot

Maybe we will only sign another one or two. 

Walker and Naismith?

I'd also expect one or two loan signings tho as well, we haven't got any yet and every season for the past 3 or so we've had a few loannees. 

Also, Djoum would be replaced if he leaves. 

14 hours ago, Phil Dunphy said:

And how much of that have you seen from Andy Irving in a Hearts team?

Thought he was excellent at Parkhead last game of the season 

William H. Bonney
5 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Maybe we will only sign another one or two. 

Walker and Naismith?

I'd also expect one or two loan signings tho as well, we haven't got any yet and every season for the past 3 or so we've had a few loannees. 

Also, Djoum would be replaced if he leaves. 

Naismith is hardly a signing though. More like an extension to a contract. 

I’d hope the 3 or 4 players mentioned doesn’t include him. 

"I've got one more signing to do and if we can get that one done then that's effectively four new players. If we can get Steven done, that will count as a fifth."

Levein refused to comment on whether the unnamed player was former Hearts winger Jamie Walker, who has been in talks about an early release from his Wigan Athletic contract after making only two starts for the Championship club since his £300,000 move from Tynecastle in January 2018.

Levein was speaking after Conor Washington, the Northern Ireland forward released by Sheffield United, was secured on a two-year contract.

Centre-half Craig Halkett completed his move to Hearts from Premiership rivals Livingston last week, while Aidy White was signed in March as the former Leeds United and Barnsley left-back bids to return after two years out of football through injury.

"Aidy White is in training," Levein added. "He wasn't able to play last season.

Edited by CJGJ

22 minutes ago, Stavropol said:

Thought he was excellent at Parkhead last game of the season 

I’ve liked the look of him almost every time he’s played. 

Cruyff Turn

Washington, Walker, Halkett and Naisy improve us a lot.

I’m expecting to see Mulraney, Clare, Morrison and Wighton improve. Anthony MacDonald and Zanatta are still here to prove themselves. 

We’re pretty covered attacking wise. 

Djoum definitely needs replaced if he isn’t staying.

If we sell Souttar for big bucks, he will also need replaced. 

I’m pretty sure Craigy ken’s this and will have players in mind. 

jamboinglasgow

Worth remembering that Levein has mentioned in the past that as get nearer to the end of the window, some players become available that weren't before that are too good to turn down. I am sure Levein will go for a player if someone pops up.

Rocky jamboa

We almost need an olly Lee type player in the middle of the park but better and someone who is more influential. A bruno aguiar type player.  Need someone to control the midfield and spray passes about. 

Happy to stick with Bobby in goals and spend the money on a midfielder instead. 

Quite a large squad and could do with getting rid of a few, such as wighton, McLean, probably dont need godinho AND Brandon, and also send a few out on loan. 

Guest ToqueJambo
3 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Must admit if Walker is the last I am disappointed. 

Quality winger was needed. Unless Zanatta has improved out of sight,  its Mulraney Morrison and Zanatta. 

Washington is not a poacher type either. Nor have we looked at a playmaker type. 

We have a lot of players for sure but we are missing the quality that take us to Europe 

I agree with needing a winger and creative/attacking mid, but I'm more optimistic.

Levein's consistently said he's looking for 3/4 players. I'm no mathematician but Washington and Walker if he signs makes 2. We'd also need a replacement for Djoum if he doesn't re-sign.

There's no doubt we're looking at creative midfielders/playmakers and wingers but those are probably the two hardest positions to fill with genuine quality.

In terms of the quality needed to get into Europe that's down to how we compare to our rivals. Our squad is shaping up to be at least as good as Aberdeen's and better than Hibs and Killie - on paper obviously. For example, up front Uche, Naismith and Washington should be better than Cosgrove, Main and May. Our central defence is better than all our rivals.

1 hour ago, Bob Loblaw said:

Find it bizarre that people basically think set pieces don't matter.  We have struggled for seasons with corners and good free kick deliveries.

And last season wasn't any better, Lee's quality is not brilliant from free kicks and corners. The real reason we scored more goals from set pieces is we were so appalling in open play, no transition, compete for the second ball and hopefully turn it into something. Even if Lee didn't get injured he was unlikely to play in the cup final, he's too slow and is invisible in too many games. 

rudi must stay
37 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

Lol

Naismith and Walker. Yep.

After that 2 more IMO.

2 more where? 

Cos I think that would be us done. Irvine and Cochrane could get game time in the middle, McDonald can be a player for the bench. 

Wouldn't want us to hurt ourselves financially. We're looking very good, what's great about the Washington signing is it allows us to play a number of different formations (1 up top, him alongside a partner), you can rest Uche at times etc :thumbsup:

Guest ToqueJambo
18 minutes ago, Jodami said:

And last season wasn't any better, Lee's quality is not brilliant from free kicks and corners. The real reason we scored more goals from set pieces is we were so appalling in open play, no transition, compete for the second ball and hopefully turn it into something. Even if Lee didn't get injured he was unlikely to play in the cup final, he's too slow and is invisible in too many games. 

I'm not convinced by Lee yet but we would have missed his dead balls last season and we were very good from open play in the early part of the season, including Lee. He was looking like someone who could get onto those second balls and score, as was Haring. They had about 9 goals between them by the end of September. I think they only got 1 or 2 each the rest of the season.

It was such a Jekyll and Hyde season I find it very difficult to predict how a lot of our players and the team as a whole will play this season.

Edited by ToqueJambo

At least one proper winger and a creative central midfielder would be welcome. 

Walker doesn't have the pace to play out wide and Morrison and Mulraney are younger, inconsistent players.

Also, we saw what happened last year when Naismith got injured and it could easily happen again. To replace him with an inferior, equally injury prone player like Jamie Walker is not a great idea.

We also need a replacement for Djoum if he leaves.

As an aside, Chris Cadden still hasn't signed for anyone. Wonder if we were or are interested. I think he's a superb player and would fit in well with us. 

Cruyff Turn
4 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

Walker doesn't have the pace to play out wide and Morrison and Mulraney are younger, inconsistent players.

Also, we saw what happened last year when Naismith got injured and it could easily happen again. To replace him with an inferior, equally injury prone player like Jamie Walker is not a great idea.

As an aside, Chris Cadden still hasn't signed for anyone. Wonder if we were or are interested. I think he's a superb player and would fit in well with us. 

I think we would have signed Cadden if Motherwell weren’t looking for £450,000 as a development fee.

An English side would only have to pay £150,000 or something. 

rudi must stay
3 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

I think Cadden is ok. Not sure he does fit us though, you have a speed merchant like Mulraney on one side. Cadden isn't that. Perhaps Clare will step up to the plate this season on the other side and there is McDonald who is a player.

We wouldn't be replacing Naismith with Walker, Walker will be in the centre probably replacing Djoum. Edwards in there too means we can compete.

What I would do though, if the budget allows is bring in a defensive midfielder on a short term contract. Haring would be a big loss for us right now and that hurt us as much as Naismith being out did IMO

Guest ToqueJambo
7 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

The Cadden of a year or two ago would be a good signing, same as if we got the Walker from a year or two ago. His form seemed to dip last season and he had injuries. I'm very excited to see if Mulraney can continue to improve. I've rarely seen such dramatic improvement in a player over a season. If he can keep up that consistency and add goals we'll have a real gem on our hands in him.

Walker has had his injuries, and his knees seem to be a big concern, but Naismith's injury history isn't too bad. To put it in perspective, Calum Paterson has a worse injury history than both of them.

Guest ToqueJambo
8 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

I think Cadden is ok. Not sure he does fit us though, you have a speed merchant like Mulraney on one side. Cadden isn't that. Perhaps Clare will step up to the plate this season on the other side and there is McDonald who is a player.

We wouldn't be replacing Naismith with Walker, Walker will be in the centre probably replacing Djoum. Edwards in there too means we can compete.

What I would do though, if the budget allows is bring in a defensive midfielder on a short term contract. Haring would be a big loss for us right now and that hurt us as much as Naismith being out did IMO

I wouldn't be surprised to see Halkett drafted into defensive mid a la Darren Barr (and Haring himself!) if needed and if he's not getting a game at CB. He seems to be a bit of a footballing defender.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Cruyff Turn
24 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

2 more where? 

Cos I think that would be us done. Irvine and Cochrane could get game time in the middle, McDonald can be a player for the bench. 

Wouldn't want us to hurt ourselves financially. We're looking very good, what's great about the Washington signing is it allows us to play a number of different formations (1 up top, him alongside a partner), you can rest Uche at times etc :thumbsup:

We need to replace Djoum. 

What would hurt hurt us more financially is coming 5th or 6th again because our midfield is powderpuff.

No use having good attackers if we can’t get the ball through midfield.

Last season we had to punt it because we had nothing wide, no one in midfield willing to take it in and pass it forward and without Uche & Naisy, no one upfront to get us up the park. That’s why we lost so many games, the constant pressure we put ourselves under. 

The young laddies are good players but they are playing against men now. Yes they are probably technically better than Lee & Bozanic etc.. but it is about competing and at the moment they are still boys, they will get messed up if we over rely on them.

It’s absolutely imperative we replace Djoum. 

Edited by Cruyff Turn

rudi must stay
20 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

We need to replace Djoum. 

What would hurt hurt us more financially is coming 5th or 6th again because our midfield is powderpuff.

No use having good attackers if we can’t get the ball through midfield.

Last season we had to punt it because we had nothing wide, no one in midfield willing to take it in and pass it forward and without Uche & Naisy, no one upfront to get us up the park. That’s why we lost so many games, the constant pressure we put ourselves under. 

The young laddies are good players but they are playing against men now. Yes they are probably technically better than Lee & Bozanic etc.. but it is about competing and at the moment they are still boys, they will get messed up if we over rely on them.

It’s absolutely imperative we replace Djoum. 

Levein will always play the long ball, that's him, and it works in this league. I never felt we didn't compete in the middle, what hurt us was quality in the final third.

You can replace Djoum easy. Never shots, never creates and floats about every once in a while putting a foot in, look at at the Livi game at Almondvale to sum him up, 5-0 down and he didn't give a jot. If he gets a new deal fine I think he's at the stage of his career now where hes ready to show commitment to a team and then you'll have a player, but if not that's life and we move on

1 hour ago, rudi must stay said:

Disagree with that part completely. 

I don't think Djoum and Walker play even a slightly similar roles. 

Naismith and Walker are both creative attacking players who sit between the forwards and midfield and hopefully get the odd goal.

1 hour ago, rudi must stay said:

Disagree with that part completely. 

I don't think Djoum and Walker play even slightly similar roles. 

Naismith and Walker are both creative attacking players who sit between the forwards and midfield and hopefully get the odd goal

TemasekJambo
2 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

Levein will always play the long ball, that's him, and it works in this league. I never felt we didn't compete in the middle, what hurt us was quality in the final third.

You can replace Djoum easy. Never shots, never creates and floats about every once in a while putting a foot in, look at at the Livi game at Almondvale to sum him up, 5-0 down and he didn't give a jot. If he gets a new deal fine I think he's at the stage of his career now where hes ready to show commitment to a team and then you'll have a player, but if not that's life and we move on

Djoum is not easily replaced and the management team know this. Also, your example of the Livingston game isn’t a great one, he was sent off when we were 1-0 down. 

pettigrewsstylist
10 hours ago, Clerry Jambo said:

He is addressing the forward areas, that's fine

However the engine room for me needed 2 "first 11" players, not been addressed

Agreed Clerry. We are carrying so much post operational injury.  PH may provide some revs  or may breakdown. We saw what the rest can provide/create last season. Perhaps Harry is going into 1st 11  

Leveins Battalion
53 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Agreed Clerry. We are carrying so much post operational injury.  PH may provide some revs  or may breakdown. We saw what the rest can provide/create last season. Perhaps Harry is going into 1st 11  

Still plenty time?

SuperstarSteve

Someone has been reading JKB as apparently cummings has been spotted at tynie this morning.

Surely not. ?

7 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

I think you need to have another look at that game as he was sent off just after their penalty that made it 1-0.

His first booking was barely a foul and the second wasn't even a foul. The ref had just lost the plot after giving Bobby a second yellow when he hadn't had a first.

Edited by Rudolf

If all our signings click the main thing we are missing it seems is the classic midfield general that helps a team control the game.

We don’t have one. Yes I want Harry and Irving to play more but it’s asking a bit much for these guys to be the lynch pin of the midfield.

Commercial management by Levein.

If the world and their auntie know we are really looking out for further players prices go up and he gets inundated with agents flogging players when he is busy trying to get pre season sorted

I also have to laugh - too many players last season. Not enough this season - even though it is looking like 5 

?

An injury free season could be so promising in my opinion.

At least 50% less than last seasons would be an improvement

We need another striker......our game plan is in the bin when we don’t have Uche. We simply cannot afford to make the same mistake as last season and only have one player of his type in the squad.

Leveins Battalion
4 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

We need another striker......our game plan is in the bin when we don’t have Uche. We simply cannot afford to make the same mistake as last season and only have one player of his type in the squad.

Hornby??

The Apprentice
6 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Part of problem last season when we didn't have Uche was that the only replacement available was MacLean.  That's nothing against him as I actually like MacLean as a player but both Naismith and Keena were injured, and Vanecek clearly deemed not good enough. This season with Washington added to the list you are hoping we can keep players off the treatment table and available. I don't think the problem is finding a back-up for Uche but having enough alternatives to play a different way if/when he's unavailable.

Hopefully additions in midfield and the emergence of the likes of Irving, Cochrane, McDonald etc mean we don't need to rely on such a direct style of play towards Uche and then his absence isn't felt as much.

heartmussel

Paul McMullen,a player I saw put in some excellent performances for Dundee United last season midfield or wide, not sure however if this would stall some of our younger players progress.

8 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

Aside from playing more football on the ground playing through the middle and to the wings there might be something there. 

30 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Need to find a Dikamona for upfront. 

Someone happy to be part of things but without demand. Good enough to fill in and who has decent experience. 

Not an easy task I know but I agree with you that we need to cover ourselves.  

LarrysRightFoot
1 minute ago, Debut 4 said:

Need to find a Dikamona for upfront. 

Someone happy to be part of things but without demand. Good enough to fill in and who has decent experience. 

Not an easy task I know but I agree with you that we need to cover ourselves.  

Wonder if Clevid himself could do a job upfront ala McKenna.

Hughes and Shaughnessy replaced by Halkett

Mitchell replaced by White

Sammon and Vanecek replaced by Washington 

Martin replaced by Walker

Naismith retained and I'm sure Djoum will be replaced if need be. 

It's been a really decent window so far, if I was being greedy I'd want a winger in however McDonald could well be ready to kick on

rudi must stay
1 hour ago, Rudolf said:

I think you need to have another look at that game as he was sent off just after their penalty that made it 1-0.

His first booking was barely a foul and the second wasn't even a foul. The ref had just lost the plot after giving Bobby a second yellow when he hadn't had a first.

I know. I remembered that game wrongly

But anyway, there are many examples backing up what I said. The Djoum who arrived and the Djoum now, it's like two different players quality wise. But anyway with a new deal he may be the original Djoum, and if so then we have a player

afanderson33
2 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

I know. I remembered that game wrongly

But anyway, there are many examples backing up what I said. The Djoum who arrived and the Djoum now, it's like two different players quality wise. But anyway with a new deal he may be the original Djoum, and if so then we have a player

Could you provide some of these many examples? Or are you talking out your arse again?

rudi must stay
4 minutes ago, afanderson33 said:

Could you provide some of these many examples? Or are you talking out your arse again?

How many goals did he get last season? 1 or 2. How many did he get in the first season he arrived. I would guess 8-10. That's an example

If you're talking games the final is the best game ive seen him play for us in a few years (since Robbie's last game) 

Alex Kintner

If we don’t keep Djoum then we definitely need a replacement. Going into the season with central midfield options of:

Haring

Lee

Bozanic

Cochrane

Irving

leaves us way short of experience and quality.

Clerry Jambo
13 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

If we don’t keep Djoum then we definitely need a replacement. Going into the season with central midfield options of:

Haring

Lee

Bozanic

Cochrane

Irving

leaves us way short of experience and quality.

Correct and that's even with Djoum

Think we’ll see Irving, Cochrane & McDonald all much more involved this season. 

Ideally I’d like us to sign a keeper & another winger, but if we secure Naismith & bring in Walker I think it’s a pretty successful window. 

If Djoum goes we definitely need a replacement though. As promising as Irving and Come Cochrane are. Personally think they are a season away from being starters.