• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Beast Boy

• Cruyff Turn

• Bazzas right boot

2 hours ago, Clark Griswold said:

Been in Cyprus for a week, what did I miss on the signing front?

Brilliant timing 

2 hours ago, Spellczech said:

Anyone else wondering if the Turnbull to Celtic deal collapsing was Celtic being vindictive about him originally knocking them back? 

No, sadly the guy needs major surgery. Hope he recovers quickly, looked a great talent. 

Absolute Scenes
1 minute ago, Gav M said:

Adam Sandler mentioned there as well I see, wealthy benefactor?

Don't think I've ever seen him in a suit...so it could well be him!

Lord Beni of Gorgie
5 hours ago, Phil Dunphy said:

There’s a very fine line between predicting a bright future and over-hyping a young player. 

Jason Holt was to be the next big thing and where’s he now? Sam Nicholson? Jordan McGhee?

I’m not saying he won’t be a good player, but it’s madness to think we don’t need Olly Lee because we have Andy Irving based on 7 games for Hearts and a loan spell at relegated Falkirk.  

Ollie Lee is a League 2 maybe scraping League 1 player. Not a high bar for the kids to be honest 

Phil Dunphy
9 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Ollie Lee is a League 2 maybe scraping League 1 player. Not a high bar for the kids to be honest 

Yet was still involved in more goals than anyone else in the squad? How does that work?

Clark Griswold
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Brilliant timing 

Couldn’t have timed it better! FWIW it was a genuine Q as didn’t want to trawl thru 79 pages of pish :) 

TyphoonJambo
16 minutes ago, gorgieheart said:

So that's 1 forward in... another 2 plus SN  ? 

Walker and Adam, my guess

12 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Yet was still involved in more goals than anyone else in the squad? How does that work?

If you take all the set pieces and we find it difficult to score from open play....

Gene Parmesan
39 minutes ago, SectionN said:

Good Spot....

I've got Walker on Insta, he literally 'likes' every single post he sees.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Benefits of being unknown to the League. 2nd half of the season people get to know you, one of the pitfalls of our League playing 3 or 4 times. 

Faded very badly in 2019.

LarrysRightFoot
3 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Naismith and one more signing 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48794407

Really don’t like the one more comment. Looks like it will be Walker, who could be great if he’s fit and has his head straight but we need at least a proper leader in the middle of the park on top of that.

Having said this I don’t believe Levein only wants one more tbh.

9 minutes ago, Barack said:

Who said we aren't...

According to the article it's Naisy and one other which looks like being Walker. 

Levein says he is confident of Naisy staying and he has one more signing (assume Walker) and that’s it. Disappointed again as we still need another wide player, still lacking quality in midfield even though we have quite a few midfielders and we lack a really good goalie.

2 minutes ago, ramrod said:

According to the article it's Naisy and one other which looks like being Walker. 

Interesting, I wonder what happened to the guy from Leeds !!

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Must admit if Walker is the last I am disappointed. 

Quality winger was needed. Unless Zanatta has improved out of sight,  its Mulraney Morrison and Zanatta. 

Washington is not a poacher type either. Nor have we looked at a playmaker type. 

We have a lot of players for sure but we are missing the quality that take us to Europe 

Absolute Scenes

Why are folk greeting? Levein said 3 or 4 signings, with walker and Naismith that’s 4...problem? Folk still going on about keeper, levein has already said we aren’t getting one - let it go. How do we know Djoum hasn’t resigned? I doubt levein would go into the new season without replacing Djoum 

Clerry Jambo

He is addressing the forward areas, that's fine

However the engine room for me needed 2 "first 11" players, not been addressed

1 minute ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Why are folk greeting? Levein said 3 or 4 signings, with walker and Naismith that’s 4...problem? Folk still going on about keeper, levein has already said we aren’t getting one - let it go. How do we know Djoum hasn’t resigned? I doubt levein would go into the new season without replacing Djoum 

Resigned or re-signed?

::troll::

He said 6/7 last season and we ended up with about 20 new players. He’s a wily old fox and will no doubt be keeping an eye on the market until the window closes. With the right forwards, last season’s midfield could potentially be a great blend with the addition of Cochrane and Irving. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
9 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

A real bit of quality in midfield would not go amiss 

Absolute Scenes
4 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

A real bit of quality in midfield would not go amiss 

Agreed, but I doubt levein would leave us as we are without a Djoum. 

So I wouldn’t be disappointed because we’ve done some real good shrewd business this window, albeit a few, but real quality. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Agreed, but I doubt levein would leave us as we are without a Djoum. 

So I wouldn’t be disappointed because we’ve done some real good shrewd business this window, albeit a few, but real quality. 

It's good thus far but I am not convinced that team is robust without Naismith still 

Absolute Scenes
Just now, Sir Gio said:

It's good thus far but I am not convinced that team is robust without Naismith still 

He’ll be there! Levein said so ?

I think its difficult for Levein, 

Bobby is good enough not to need to replace, but we still probably should. Should be striving for continuous improvement and Zander Clark is there for the taking. Younger and more reliable. Its a no brainer. 

In terms of midfield, we have a lot of the young lads coming into the team now, Cochrane, McDonald, Irvine, Smith and thats not mentioning the experienced pro's in Bozanic, Haring, Lee, Clare, & Edwards. Thats a lot of CM's, especially given most variations will be Haring + Other. 

It seemed like our major difficulty last season was actually getting the ball in the ****ing net, I think with Washington, Naismith & Walker, we should have that quality in the final third. I am very worried though, because Naismith could well break down again, and we can't have the drive, character and determination he brings to the team suddenly disappear. I wonder if we could make room in the squad for Charlie Adam. To have made it to Liverpool and forged a career in the EPL takes a lot of drive and determination, hell... character.  Given Lee is out still, I wonder if we could move Bozanic on and try and bring Adam in. We need leaders, and i think he is exactly that.

A midfield 3 of Haring, Edwards and Adam would have plenty of quality and energy IMO

28 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Because they always have to have something to greet about. Delighted with the signings and if Walker is coming back delighted with that as well. Experienced pros and some cracking young players breaking through. What's not to like?

26 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:

He is addressing the forward areas, that's fine

However the engine room for me needed 2 "first 11" players, not been addressed

Obviously time yet but I agree with the main point. 

However, I feel we’re going with what we have unless we are forced to replace anyone in midfield that leaves. Firstly, in footballing terms I agree with the theory  a manager needs time with players to progress and nurture. To chop and change seems pointless if players aren’t given time and it becomes costly if these guys are on 2 or 3 year deals and you try to bring in others on top of that...or, agree mutual terminations. Money just keeps frittering. 

But this is when the management have to live with it. Only Haring was probably the real success in midfield and he wasn’t even brought in as one. I also feel the management didn’t help the situ with the constant rotation that stemmed any rhythm players fought to find. 

AlphonseCapone

He's said he's got one more signing to do and that with Naismith that would be effectively 5. That could read that he's got one more to complete, that's almost effectively done (Walker probably). He hasn't necessarily said that will be it or he won't look further etc. I'm sure if something comes up or Djoum goes then we'll sign at least one more.

I’m upbeat and hopeful that on top of the additions at least one or two of those that didn’t exactly hit the heights can kick on after their first year settling in. Likes of Clare and Lee have shown in glimpses what they might offer and wouldn’t be the first players needing at least a season to settle and acquaint to the Scottish game.

For every Mark DeVries there was an Ibby Tall. 

29 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

He’ll be there! Levein said so ?

And if he gets injured? Still need a creative mid IMO

AlphonseCapone
2 minutes ago, cocobeab said:

I’m upbeat and hopeful that on top of the additions at least one or two of those that didn’t exactly hit the heights can kick on after their first year settling in. Likes of Clare and Lee have shown in glimpses what they might offer and wouldn’t be the first players needing at least a season to settle and acquaint to the Scottish game.

That's a good point. Although I wasn't his biggest fan last year if Clare can show what a lot of people seem convinced he is capable of then he'll feel like a new signing in many ways. 

Going on the fact that we know that levein has shown players other than walker around the training centre and tynecastle. We also know that levein only really talks about these things when he knows it's likely to happen. We may have more than naismith and walker to come.

Phil Dunphy
4 hours ago, Jodami said:

If you take all the set pieces and we find it difficult to score from open play....

Do goals scored from set pieces not count, like?

Byyy The Light
2 minutes ago, cocobeab said:

Also a lot to be said for a settled squad and team spirit. Can get an extra 10-15% out of players when they are happy and bought in to a team

Agree  with the comments regarding Levein. He says transfer business is done and then brings in another 1 or 2 players.

Absolute Scenes
37 minutes ago, Lightbulb said:

Because they always have to have something to greet about. Delighted with the signings and if Walker is coming back delighted with that as well. Experienced pros and some cracking young players breaking through. What's not to like?

Exactly ?

Watching for those going out on loan now. Might give a clue as to where we might see new recruits.

Captain Canada

Hopefully we're still looking at another winger (as well as JW) and another striker. Milinkovic and Lee Erwin would be my choices. 

Moore, Zanatta, Morrison and Mulraney are the main options just now on the wing and I'd like a more experienced alternative. 

Washington and Uche look decent options up front, MacLean and Wighton aren't good enough and Keena is still untried at this level, although looks promising. 

We definitely have too many centre mids and a bit of an imbalance in the squad. 

Djoum, Edwards, Bozanic, Clare, Haring, Cochrane, Lee, C.Smith and Irving are 9 guys fighting for 2/3 places. And Naismith often plays in midfield too and Burns can play there as well apparently. 

Maybe we'll just loan out the three young guys though. 

54 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Do goals scored from set pieces not count, like?

Find it bizarre that people basically think set pieces don't matter.  We have struggled for seasons with corners and good free kick deliveries.