***OFFICIAL SUMMER TRANSFER THREAD***

Absolute Scenes

David McCaig

Does anyone remember a 35 year old Jim Bett signing for us away back in the day?

By SPL standards Glenn Whelan is absolute top quality and his appearance figures show that his legs are still fully functioning which is hardly surprising as he's barely had an injury in his professional career.

• Replies 12.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Beast Boy

• Cruyff Turn

• Bazzas right boot

Jambosteve1902
Just now, Cruyff Turn said:

The only time Whelan would be missing is when he’s suspended from halving ****s the following week. 

was shocked to see he wasn't sent off last year

1 minute ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Glen Whelan would be quality. I’d love it if we signed him and Morrison too. It would take the whole team to a different level.

Both would be a huge step.    Even one would increase competition a lot.    Both would totally transform competition.     Clare and Cochrane would find it very hard.     Even Walker would be under pressure.     I'm all for both if we can do it but I can't see it.

The Internet
2 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

Does anyone remember a 35 year old Jim Bett signing for us away back in the day?

By SPL standards Glenn Whelan is absolute top quality and his appearance figures show that his legs are still fully functioning which is hardly surprising as he's barely had an injury in his professional career.

I'm sure we'll quickly fix that exemplary injury record. 

23 minutes ago, Vlad the impaler said:

I’m not sure Glenn Whelan has made a forward pass since Edinburgh castle was built. Underwhelmed 

We are bound to sign him then. :lol:

1 minute ago, combo74 said:

The guy has averaged 30+ games in the EPL and EFL for each of the last 10 or so seasons, as well as amassing 80+ caps, so I'd suggest his legs are fine - I seriously worry about the sanity of some of our fans when they claim to be underwhelmed by signings like this. These guys are so successful because the look after themselves. With Villa being promoted to the EPL they will be having to step up the quality and athleticism of their squad, so Whelan may have accepted that he's not go the legs for the EPL...however I'm absolutely sure he has the legs and the ability for a defensive mid role in the SPFL.

I'd love to see a list of players that some of our fans would be 'whelmed' by...I can guarantee it would be fanciful!

Nothing to do with being under whelmed for me. He just doesn’t fit what we are looking for. If we play 442 and play a diamond in the middle then we can only play one defensive mid. Haring is class and it would extremely unfair on him to be binned out the team when he’s back fit. If we don’t play a diamond then surely we aren’t playing 2 defensive mids in the middle of the park? The midfield is screaming out for a box to

box midfielder, that’s not Whelan. We don’t need him long term. Great cover yes but he’s not going to be on peanuts and seems daft to bring him in on a decent wage and then sit him on the bench. Not under whelmed, just don’t see why he’s needed. 

Literally no evidence to suggest Glenn Whelan is coming to Hearts. Every player we have signed recently is linked to us in the papers in advance, not by posters on kickback. 

Holyrood_Hearts

I don’t think Whelan will sign due to having better options in England, but for people on here not wanting him because of his age haven’t a clue what they’re on about.  

I’m a big fan of Haring but Whelan would be a massive upgrade in quality. 

Howdy Doody Jambo
5 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

Jim Bett was top quality for us 

David McCaig
1 minute ago, busby1985 said:

Nothing to do with being under whelmed for me. He just doesn’t fit what we are looking for. If we play 442 and play a diamond in the middle then we can only play one defensive mid. Haring is class and it would extremely unfair on him to be binned out the team when he’s back fit. If we don’t play a diamond then surely we aren’t playing 2 defensive mids in the middle of the park? The midfield is screaming out for a box to

box midfielder, that’s not Whelan. We don’t need him long term. Great cover yes but he’s not going to be on peanuts and seems daft to bring him in on a decent wage and then sit him on the bench. Not under whelmed, just don’t see why he’s needed. 

Sean Clare has legs, but needs footballing brains alongside him.

Pasquale for King

If he played beside John McGinn then he will still have the legs, he would’ve had to have covered for him as he has no defensive awareness at all. One year deal with an option of another.

David McCaig
Just now, Old Castle Rock said:

Absolutely and to be fair I never really appreciated how good he was until he signed for us.

Jambosteve1902
4 minutes ago, karipidis said:

Literally no evidence to suggest Glenn Whelan is coming to Hearts. Every player we have signed recently is linked to us in the papers in advance, not by posters on kickback. 

not every transfer hits the papers though, if was the case we'd have signed about 14 other players who the sun and daily record have linked us with 

If we had that number of mids + the likes of Naismith and Walker then 442 wont be played much.     Much better suited to 4231 or 4321 or 4411.      

Салатные палочки
3 minutes ago, Old Castle Rock said:

Correct, pure class shows through no matter what age. 

TyphoonJambo
2 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

Sean Clare needs to grow a pair though. No fight whatsoever. 

Jambosteve1902
1 minute ago, TypoonJambo said:

would disagree with that entirely, made more tackles in the league cup games than i recall any his centre mid partners but as usual he's the fault. 

5 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

Haring missed a third of our league games last season and hasn't played this season and we're not 100% sure when he'll be back.  If we do sign Whelan, I don't think it's a case of Haring being binned out of the team, but Haring would need to fight to get back in the team.  The more competition the better as far as I'm concerned.

I agree we need a box to box midfielder also and hopefully we are looking for one.

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

I don’t think Levein has ever played a diamond in midfield. The 4 in midfield is usually a sitter,an attack minded guy, a winger and a guy who plays wide but moves inside to allow his fullback to go round him.

Wouldn't surprise me to see someone along the lines of Whelan tbh. Someone experienced and at the latter part of their career who could be the midfield equivalent of Hughes and MacLean, deputize well when required and provide a wealth of experience to help bring on the younger players. Fletcher would have been ideal

3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I don’t think Levein has ever played a diamond in midfield. The 4 in midfield is usually a sitter,an attack minded guy, a winger and a guy who plays wide but moves inside to allow his fullback to go round him.

That’s my point. Not sure how Whelan and Haring feature in the team. As it’s stands now we are missing the attack minded player, not the defensive guy. 

10 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

Yip I agree but that means Haring drops out the side and I don’t think that’s right. Haring although he has been struggling with an injury was our best player last season, arguably. Unless Haring is proper goosed and looking at months and months out, I don’t see how Whelan is the best option out there. I just don’t think he’s what we need. 

That’s my point. Not sure how Whelan and Haring feature in the team. As it’s stands now we are missing the attack minded player, not the defensive guy. 

You play a 4231 and allow Haring licence to get forward in support of Naismith, Walker, Mulraney, striker.

Holyrood_Hearts
7 minutes ago, Jambosteve1902 said:

would disagree with that entirely, made more tackles in the league cup games than i recall any his centre mid partners but as usual he's the fault. 

Compared to Irving you’re spot on. Clare at least gets stuck into challenges 

David McCaig
Just now, busby1985 said:

Yip I agree but that means Haring drops out the side and I don’t think that’s right. Haring although he has been struggling with an injury was our best player last season, arguably. Unless Haring is proper goosed and looking at months and months out, I don’t see how Whelan is the best option out there. I just don’t think he’s what we need. 

Not necessarily.

We started last season with Naismith playing the wide role in a 442/433, Morrison on the wing and Haring/Lee in the centre.

TyphoonJambo
Just now, Victorian said:

You play a 4231 and allow Haring licence to get forward in support of Naismith, Walker, Mulraney, striker.

Exactly, concede less but by retaining or regaining the ball centrally allows the team to attack. Harring can score goals. Maybe he could be given licence to push further upfield. 

4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

That’s the formation I’ve been shouting out for, for the past year, we aren’t going to play it tho or haven’t looked like that’s what we where heading to. We’ve played 442 every game so far and Levein has said in the press that’s the formation he favours just now. 442 is a ganting formation. 

Vlad the impaler
33 minutes ago, Jambosteve1902 said:

Desperate signing playing 38 games for the team promoted from the championship? Behave yourself man.

That’s me convinced....it’s not as though bad players get any game time for clubs it seems

Jambosteve1902
1 minute ago, Vlad the impaler said:

That’s me convinced....it’s not as though bad players get any game time for clubs it seems

not in premiership then championship for season after season in the middle of the park to be honest no they dont.  maybe watch football occasionally rather than just arguing for case of being a tit :)

Phil Dunphy
19 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

Utter shite. 

Sean Clare is consistently putting tackles in. More so than a lot of players. 

Fed up of this fabricated nonsense being banded about. 

That’s the formation I’ve been shouting out for, for the past year, we aren’t going to play it tho or haven’t looked like that’s what we where heading to. We’ve played 442 every game so far and Levein has said in the press that’s the formation he favours just now. 442 is a ganting formation. 

According to the report I read on the Aberdeen game they played a 4-2-3-1 formation so they may play that against us on Sunday so it might make sense to match them .

Jambosteve1902
Just now, Phil Dunphy said:

Utter shite. 

This x100. the lad has grown so much already since joining has the natural ability and does work hard but hes branded lazy shite wage theif bla bla. Nonsense. he's done so much more than Keena has and shows more regularly yet everyones up keenas arse to play everyweek its confusing 

Any word about some Deelin guy in midfield?  Apparently looking to play Whelan and Deelin together.

Coat, thanks.:527:

Just now, Phil Dunphy said:

Utter shite. 

Completely agree, some people can’t see past certain agendas.....is it because he is not home grown or because he came with high hopes?

Clare is only 22 and will eventually play at a higher level but just needs to find consistency and playing alongside Naismith will bring out the best

Vlad the impaler
2 minutes ago, Jambosteve1902 said:

not in premiership then championship for season after season in the middle of the park to be honest no they dont.  maybe watch football occasionally rather than just arguing for case of being a tit :)

There’s only one person being a tit,I gave my opinion and now you’re name calling. Il be glad when the schools are back. In the meantime here’s your man 48 seconds into the clip...

Robbo-Jambo
30 minutes ago, karipidis said:

He is at Riccarton. 

8 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Utter shite. 

Well said Phil. 

We need to get behind and support these guys!! 

AlphonseCapone
9 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Utter shite. 

You defend Clare a lot. In your opinion, what do you see as his weaknesses and things he needs to improve? 

Edited by AlphonseCapone

5 minutes ago, Vlad the impaler said:

There’s only one person being a tit,I gave my opinion and now you’re name calling. Il be glad when the schools are back. In the meantime here’s your man 48 seconds into the clip...

One mistake :rofl:

Pasquale for King
21 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

We need a DM until Haring gets back and for cover. Levein sees Clare as the AM, that decision has been queried.

Phil Dunphy
1 minute ago, AlphonseCapone said:

You defend Clare a lot. In your opinion, what do you see as his weaknesses and things he needs to improve? 

He needs to be more clinical when in dangerous areas. Couple of times last season he could have grabbed a goal but decided to lay it off. Be a bit more selfish. 

Sometimes his long range passing doesn’t work as well as you’d like. And his crossing. 

But people say he’s lazy, weak and rubbish. Which is all absolute nonsense. 

Vlad the impaler
1 minute ago, Homme said:

One mistake :rofl:

We both know the first time he goes to pass back or side ways at tynecastle when there’s a clear forward pass on there will be bedlam🙄

11 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Utter shite. 

Well said.

Theres a few posters who like to put the boot into SC.

Hes doing well and with Naismith back I’m sure he will do even better

Pasquale for King
15 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

I think Haring has played as the box to box midfielder in the past.

If we had gone out and signed Craig Gordon this summer there'd be so much delight and celebration yet the mere thought of signing a guy who is a year younger is out the question. Like the old saying goes if you are good enough you are old enough just flip that on its head still works for me

Jambosteve1902
10 minutes ago, Vlad the impaler said:

why would school effect a 25 year old guy? interesting.  But you have no knowledge of the player, your opinion is just purely based on his age. thats a fact. 

Robbo-Jambo
1 minute ago, 1971fozzy said:

Well said.

Theres a few posters who like to put the boot into SC.

Hes doing well and with Naismith back I’m sure he will do even better

Think a few players will improve with Naismith in the team. 

Uche being one of them.