***OFFICIAL SUMMER TRANSFER THREAD***

Absolute Scenes

Heard we are quite far down the line with Morrison, although I had also been told about Damour being close. I'm not ITK massively but have someone who has quite close links to Hearts. From what he has said we are trying hard to get something over the line for Sunday. 

FWIW I think Whelan and Morrison (if either sign) would be very decent. Both have played a lot of games at a high level and both were playing in the Championship last season. These guys could be invaluable at bringing the best out of the young guys like Irvine, Cochrane and Smith in the middle of the park. I don't think it can be underestimated how much an experienced head playing next to you and talking you through a game can help. I always remember when Webster first signed, he looked lost when not playing with Pressley.

• Replies 12.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Beast Boy

• Cruyff Turn

• Bazzas right boot

Hackney Hearts
5 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Just heard the same. 35 year old who I have never heard of.

Republic of Ireland stalwart - 80+ caps?

And about ten thousand games for Stoke & Villa?

14 minutes ago, Takis51 said:

Glenn Whelan 👀 

A player coming to the end of his career. Could do a job but not exactly the marquee signing people have been saying

Jambosteve1902
2 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

A player coming to the end of his career. Could do a job but not exactly the marquee signing people have been saying

i think for what we need and what he'd provide it would be quite marquee tbh.

3 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

1 year deal to cover Haring and see what happens.  

He played 38 championship games last season so I assume hes still 'got it'! 

Just now, rudi must stay said:

Whelan's a nasty wee player and a winner :thumbsup:

Yeah. Would be a good addition for us. Whelan and Morrison would be fantastic business! 

SuperstarSteve

Whelan signs and haring is then made a squad player? 

I’ll take either Morrison or Whelan but if it’s whelan then I don’t see him signing to sit on a bench. 

I think Whelan would be a great signing, cover for haring till he’s back and would be great in the dressing room for younger guys like Irving etc breaking through

Ibrahim Tall
Just now, I.T.K said:

For a good team that went up too, not like he was kicking around Rotherham etc.

Worth pointing out that Walker couldn’t get a game for a that finished 13 places behind them.

Would love a PM with some reliable news. This thread is getting long and while lots of names are being mentioned, lots are also being shot down! 

Салатные палочки

Whelan and Morrison would be outstanding business, let's not kid ourselves. 

I like the idea of this signing, if it's between him and Morrison, I would opt for the latter, purely because he  is a couple of years younger

Midloth_Iain
11 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Just heard the same. 35 year old who I have never heard of.

to be fair he only has 86 caps for Ireland ......😉

afanderson33
17 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

Maybe because people claiming marquee signings are talking nonsense. 

4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Whelan would be better than Morrison tbh.     Quite keen on this if it's a goer.

Me too. Think we need a player of his ilk more than a Morriston type. 

4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Whelan would be better than Morrison tbh.     Quite keen on this if it's a goer.

David McCreery  type signing. Whelan would certainly add a bit of tenacity to our midfield.

The Treasurer
52 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

No point wasting time on players that are on +10k , never going to be able to give them what they want. Unless they are on career wind down

Agreed, but as transfer windows start to close, out of contract players demands start to become more realistic.

The overall OPSHUNS are better with Whelan.    Him and Haring would compliment better than Morrison.    Would rather see a minder like Whelan with Cochrane for instance.

The Apprentice

Whelan played with Steven MacLean at Sheffield Wednesday some years ago. Hopefully they've kept in touch and Stevie is putting in a good word for us.

18 minutes ago, I.T.K said:

If Whelan signs then Haring would be cover for Whelan not the other way round, plus every chance we'd see both play at places like ibrox and parkhead

Phil D. Corners
2 minutes ago, Ribble said:

If Whelan signs then Haring would be cover for Whelan not the other way round, plus every chance we'd see both play at places like ibrox and parkhead

If makes Haring up his game it can only be a good thing. 

Boats rising with the tide. 

Ron Burgundy
12 minutes ago, Kid Creole said:

to be fair he only has 86 caps for Ireland ......😉

To be fair I have no interest in international football.

Genuinely have no knowledge of him, that's not to say he isn't or won't be decent.

8 minutes ago, Victorian said:

The overall OPSHUNS are better with Whelan.    Him and Haring would compliment better than Morrison.    Would rather see a minder like Whelan with Cochrane for instance.

That's a great point, I think this guy could really help Harry push on

27 minutes ago, SuperstarSteve said:

Whelan signs and haring is then made a squad player? 

I’ll take either Morrison or Whelan but if it’s whelan then I don’t see him signing to sit on a bench. 

Maybe if whelan  comes then Clare is a squad player. Rather have a central pairing of whelan and haring tbh.

Can't see any signings the day with this LA Orchestra thing on the night the place will be heaving with their cast and crew, sounds checks etc 

The Internet
1 minute ago, hisnameis said:

Maybe if whelan  comes then Clare is a squad player. Rather have a central pairing of whelan and haring tbh.

We're not pushing Clare back for a 35 year old. 

SuperstarSteve
1 minute ago, hisnameis said:

That’s a possibility tbh but two centre defensive midfielders playing together is more likely to happen against the old firm. 

Levein said he’s signing cover for haring but I think haring will be cover for whelan. 

Time will tell a guess, I like haring and would very much like a centre pairing of him and whelan I just think it’ll be one or the other. 

3 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

To be fair I have no interest in international football.

Genuinely have no knowledge of him, that's not to say he isn't or won't be decent.

Same boat, Ron. If it's not Hearts specifically or the Scottish Premier generally I'm lost these days.

Off the top of my head I genuinely couldn't name anyone from the last Scotland team or a Man C, Barca, Real...superstar.

Flappy Hands

I can't get excited about a 35 year old to be honest. His legs will be shot, why else would he be entertaining us. 

3 minutes ago, Vlad the impaler said:

I’m not sure Glenn Whelan has made a forward pass since Edinburgh castle was built. Underwhelmed 

He'll  Fit in well with the rest of our midfield then 

1 minute ago, Flappy Hands said:

I can't get excited about a 35 year old to be honest. His legs will be shot, why else would he be entertaining us. 

Playing a full season in English championship suggests his legs are far from shot..

Vlad the impaler
2 minutes ago, kimosavi said:

He'll  Fit in well with the rest of our midfield then 

Spot on. Just seems a desperate signing,I seen him make a huge blunder in the playoff semi against wba at end of last season and Iv seen milk turn quicker. Surely there’s better out there

3 minutes ago, Flappy Hands said:

The guy has averaged 30+ games in the EPL and EFL for each of the last 10 or so seasons, as well as amassing 80+ caps, so I'd suggest his legs are fine - I seriously worry about the sanity of some of our fans when they claim to be underwhelmed by signings like this. These guys are so successful because the look after themselves. With Villa being promoted to the EPL they will be having to step up the quality and athleticism of their squad, so Whelan may have accepted that he's not go the legs for the EPL...however I'm absolutely sure he has the legs and the ability for a defensive mid role in the SPFL.

I'd love to see a list of players that some of our fans would be 'whelmed' by...I can guarantee it would be fanciful!

Glenn Whelan has barely missed a game through injury in his career according to transfermarkt.

16/17 Knock Nov 14, 2016 Nov 26, 2016 12 days 1Stoke City
11/12 Calf Problems Dec 19, 2011 Jan 2, 2012 14 day

I'd prefer Morrison but I'd be happy with Whelan. He can cover in Defence too if needed.

Absolute Scenes
12 minutes ago, Vlad the impaler said:

I’m not sure Glenn Whelan has made a forward pass since Edinburgh castle was built. Underwhelmed 

Suppose you're right considering he only played the full 86 games Rep of Ireland, the  38 games for Aston Villa last season, and helped get them promoted. So underwhelming :facepalm:

Jambosteve1902
4 minutes ago, Vlad the impaler said:

Spot on. Just seems a desperate signing,I seen him make a huge blunder in the playoff semi against wba at end of last season and Iv seen milk turn quicker. Surely there’s better out there

Desperate signing playing 38 games for the team promoted from the championship? Behave yourself man.

Are we planning on playing 2 sitting midfielders in a 442 formation 🤷🏼‍♂️ Whelan and Haring when both fit? Is Whelan gonna be happy to sit on the bench when Haring is back and vice versa? Does this signal the end for Clare at Hearts? We need creativity in the middle, Whelan isn’t that. A quality player, undoubted, but not the type of player we require really. 442 with 6 players defensive minded does sound like us tho. 

8 minutes ago, Jambo83 said:

Playing a full season in English championship suggests his legs are far from shot..

Exactly. Probably in far better condition than Naismith. 

2 minutes ago, combo74 said:

The guy has averaged 30+ games in the EPL and EFL for each of the last 10 or so seasons, as well as amassing 80+ caps, so I'd suggest his legs are fine - I seriously worry about the sanity of some of our fans when they claim to be underwhelmed by signings like this. These guys are so successful because the look after themselves. With Villa being promoted to the EPL they will be having to step up the quality and athleticism of their squad, so Whelan may have accepted that he's not go the legs for the EPL...however I'm absolutely sure he has the legs and the ability for a defensive mid role in the SPFL.

I'd love to see a list of players that some of our fans would be 'whelmed' by...I can guarantee it would be fanciful!

100% this

👍

Cruyff Turn

Glen Whelan would be quality. I’d love it if we signed him and Morrison too. It would take the whole team to a different level.