***OFFICIAL SUMMER TRANSFER THREAD***

Absolute Scenes

scott herbertson

Mick McCarthy

"When he trained with us – and I hadn’t trained with him before – we finished and he said he needed to go and do a bit more. He went to put a bit more in himself and I thought, ‘That’s why you’ve played until… he’s 35 is he? That’s why you’ve played until 35 because you train hard, you look after yourself and he’s in great shape.’

“He can keep playing as long as he wants until he stops playing like that.”

• Replies 12.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Beast Boy

• Cruyff Turn

• Bazzas right boot

Absolute Scenes
Just now, Vlad the impaler said:

I think we need legs in that midfield,if they get caught on wrong side of ball I think we’re far too slow in there. Adding a 35 year old who albeit has had a good career I don’t think helps that. Add in the fact he does very little with the ball in a positive way and I think we’d have our new scapegoat. Only my opinion of course

He played nearly every game last season?? He has legs clearly.
You clearly haven't watched much of him except a mistake he made (as ALL players do) he was pivotal in helping Aston Villa be promoted and will be head and shoulders above our current midfield. Stuff your opinion

2 minutes ago, Vlad the impaler said:

I think we need legs in that midfield,if they get caught on wrong side of ball I think we’re far too slow in there. Adding a 35 year old who albeit has had a good career I don’t think helps that. Add in the fact he does very little with the ball in a positive way and I think we’d have our new scapegoat. Only my opinion of course

I'm guessing he's being signed as CDM cover not a box to box midfielder so assume he'll sit in front of the defence and break up attacks, win the ball back bandpass to Clare or other forward minded players? And why would be class any player that plays for Hearts as a new scapegoat before they've played a game? Funny place this JKB.

Robbo-Jambo
4 minutes ago, iainmac said:

We might.......... 

No will be Halkett and Berra with Dikamona as back up. Sorry sent to wrong person 😀

Edited by Robbo-Jambo

Vlad the impaler
1 minute ago, Pagey said:

I'm guessing he's being signed as CDM cover not a box to box midfielder so assume he'll sit in front of the defence and break up attacks, win the ball back bandpass to Clare or other forward minded players? And why would be class any player that plays for Hearts as a new scapegoat before they've played a game? Funny place this JKB.

Maybe because I sit there week after week hearing some fans give our players it tight more than they do opposition. I agree with what role you think he’ll have in team,just want a bit more from a midfielder. More rounded player I’d welcome

Dalstonjambo
7 minutes ago, Vlad the impaler said:

Except he does have the legs. He's known for being very fit. 

As for being positive with the ball, he'd be brought in as a defensive midfielder. And he doesn't give it away. Which is what you need. 

People on here suggesting Whelan wont be great in Scottish football or they haven't heard of him. Are they for real? FFS! Hes got 80 international caps. Hes played in English Championship/Premiership. I think he should do ok against the likes of St Mirren and Ross County!

Hes 36? How old are Messi and Ronaldo? Both early/mid 30s I think. But maybe they wont have the legs either for Scottish football

26 minutes ago, Barack said:

Got a photo of his back?

25 minutes ago, Gav M said:

Or a blurry one from 4 miles away

Indeed.  Pictures of potential Hearts signings do seem a bit like Nessie sightings.

4 minutes ago, Soapy Soutar said:

Would he be able to play on sunday if signing is true

I'd hope so if we get stuff done today.. We could certainly use someone strong in the middle for Sunday..

Heard Whelan is all but done as mentioned by others. still ongoing talks with Morrison and another attacking player is in advanced talks. No names for the latter.

Soapy Soutar
1 minute ago, Jambo83 said:

I'd hope so if we get stuff done today.. We could certainly use someone strong in the middle for Sunday..

Just not sure how registration works

If this was imminent I'd have expected MSM to have picked up on this. Think people are getting ahead of themselves, although hopefully not..

Just now, PapaShango said:

Heard Whelan is all but done as mentioned by others. still ongoing talks with Morrison and another attacking player is in advanced talks. No names for the latter.

If we sign Whelan and Morrison I think i'll just lock myself in the bathroom for a while and sack off going to the races later..

If he has signed, I'm well chuffed with that. We'll be solid through our core and have some pace and ability around it. Someone to put it in the net is the only issue but we have a bunch of guys who can score a handful each.

Pretty happy with squad tbh

Now use it properly

Mr Elwood P
Just now, TheBigO said:

If he has signed, I'm well chuffed with that. We'll be solid through our core and have some pace and ability around it. Someone to put it in the net is the only issue but we have a bunch of guys who can score a handful each.

Pretty happy with squad tbh

Now use it properly

We signed our goalscorer yesterday. 

Jambosteve1902
3 minutes ago, Jambo83 said:

If we sign Whelan and Morrison I think i'll just lock myself in the bathroom for a while and sack off going to the races later..

id be suprised if we get James too, but **** me if we get another plus whelan be some day to be alive! 

If as suggested Whelans legs are shot lets hope the bullets are removed if he signs, honest if he is as fit as it says he could do a few years with us. 

Only rumors but I like em!

Just now, Mr Elwood P said:

We signed our goalscorer yesterday. 

Oh absolutely. And Walker is a goalscorer. Clare, Washington, Halkett, Uche will all score and others will chip in.

Naismith will play deep and still score. If we had a 20 goal striker too...!!

Not complaining at all. As I say, chuffed with squad.

Dalstonjambo
5 minutes ago, Soapy Soutar said:

Just not sure how registration works

Well the League/SFA will open up especially to allow us to register anyone I'm sure. Even if it's on a Sunday morning. After all they did that for Celtic to allow Scott Sinclair to be registered to play against us. And they treat everyone the same after all. Don't they?! 

Glenn Whelan? ****sake i though Olly Lee was slow enough. We're going slower? Fair enough he is better than everyone else in terms of experience but can't see the fans loving him if im honest. 

Still a very good pedigree to come to Scotland mind.

3 minutes ago, Dalstonjambo said:

Well the League/SFA will open up especially to allow us to register anyone I'm sure. Even if it's on a Sunday morning. After all they did that for Celtic to allow Scott Sinclair to be registered to play against us. And they treat everyone the same after all. Don't they?! 

No no no , you have it all wrong. The Celtic lads were just driving past and the lights were on so they tried the door.

Holyrood_Hearts

If this is true Whelan’s a great signing. He’ll sit in protecting the back 4 & will free up Walker, Clare & Naismith to attack. The likes of Clare & Irving will benefit hugely playing although side him.

Robbo-Jambo
17 minutes ago, Henroddy said:

People on here suggesting Whelan wont be great in Scottish football or they haven't heard of him. Are they for real? FFS! Hes got 80 international caps. Hes played in English Championship/Premiership. I think he should do ok against the likes of St Mirren and Ross County!

Hes 36? How old are Messi and Ronaldo? Both early/mid 30s I think. But maybe they wont have the legs either for Scottish football

35 😀

1 minute ago, Holyrood_Hearts said:

If this is true Whelan’s a great signing. He’ll sit in protecting the back 4 & will free up Walker, Clare & Naismith to attack. The likes of Clare & Irving will benefit hugely playing although side him.

Yeh looking at it like that him and Haring could sit against the bigger teams, and against bottom 6 could have one of, and rest the other.

Mr Elwood P
21 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Oh absolutely. And Walker is a goalscorer. Clare, Washington, Halkett, Uche will all score and others will chip in.

Naismith will play deep and still score. If we had a 20 goal striker too...!!

Not complaining at all. As I say, chuffed with squad.

Nobody in the Scottish Premiership scored 20 last season, only around 10 scored 10+.  Naismith, Walker and Washington will get us a decent haul. Really hope these midfielders are coming in!

4 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Nobody in the Scottish Premiership scored 20 last season, only around 10 scored 10+.  Naismith, Walker and Washington will get us a decent haul. Really hope these midfielders are coming in!

Lets not forget top scorer Halket! 😉

Eddie The Eagle
44 minutes ago, cocobeab said:

Bold claim and I for one am delighted.

1 year deal 

Announced by the end of the day 

Should play Sunday 

Say What Again

Folk slating signing guys in their mid 30s 😂

Sandy Jardine was shite for us, eh?

Still my all time favourite. 

Edited by Say What Again

Holyrood_Hearts
Just now, Say What Again said:

Folk slaying signing guys in their mid 30s 😂

Sandy Jardine was shite for us, eh?

Still my all time favourite. 

As was Jim Bett 

Hackney Hearts
4 minutes ago, Old Castle Rock said:

Think we still need a keeper to challenge at the top end 

Agree. Playing without a keeper would be verging on folly.

1 minute ago, Eddie The Eagle said:

1 year deal 

Should play Sunday 

👍

Know anything of the suggestion above that we’re also talking to Morrison and a n other forward player?

Mr Elwood P
1 minute ago, Eddie The Eagle said:

1 year deal 

Should play Sunday 

You’re putting your baws on the line here Eddie ...

5A97243B-42F0-448F-A13E-B1E65F6D3431.thumb.jpeg.efad70f38978c0f361ad4e9cfbbd5f03.jpeg

9B3200AC-0894-4D9E-834C-6954E2F050EB.gif

Eddie The Eagle
Just now, cocobeab said:

👍

Know anything of the suggestion above that we’re also talking to Morrison and a n other forward player?

Posted a few days ago about Morrison. He has been our top target for 3/4 weeks even though Craig has denied interest. Several championship clubs in England want him too and can offer much more money. Comes down to James, if he wants more money or fancies a new challenge up here.

1 minute ago, Mr Elwood P said:

You’re putting your claws on the line here Eddie ...

5A97243B-42F0-448F-A13E-B1E65F6D3431.thumb.jpeg.efad70f38978c0f361ad4e9cfbbd5f03.jpeg

9B3200AC-0894-4D9E-834C-6954E2F050EB.gif

Ftfy :) 

Robbo-Jambo
7 minutes ago, Eddie The Eagle said:

1 year deal 

Should play Sunday 

Only one year ?

Maybe with an option to extend ?

Hackney Hearts
3 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

You’re putting your baws on the line here Eddie ...

The Eagle's for the high jump if he gets this one wrong...

Soapy Soutar
11 minutes ago, Eddie The Eagle said:

1 year deal 

Should play Sunday 

If this proves to be wrong eddie it will be all downhill for you on here

8 minutes ago, Holyrood_Hearts said:

As was Jim Bett 

Indeed, what a player he was. Funny how I only saw his ability when he signed for Hearts but he was just a tremendous footballer.  He'd be worth tens of millions in the modern market imo.  Beattie was another that I didn't appreciate his quality until he was playing for us.

On the older topic front, I thought Dave McCreery was a magic wee player for us.  You could see why he had a career at the top.

Soapy Soutar
Just now, Barack said:

A confident man. 

Be interesting to see how this plays out. 

His confidence is what leads me to believe its happening

the general

Would be a coup if we got him

Played in play off final at Wembley which is pretty superior to most challenges up here

12 minutes ago, Eddie The Eagle said:

1 year deal 

Should play Sunday 

Bold claim, seems very unlikely we would be able to get Whelan.