***OFFICIAL SUMMER TRANSFER THREAD***

Absolute Scenes

1 hour ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

He certainly does look a shadow but I think someone will get a tune out of him and if he starts scoring will go on a run.

Reckon that tune will be Apache.

• Replies 12.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Beast Boy

• Cruyff Turn

• Bazzas right boot

Cruyff Turn
48 minutes ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Lafferty abandoned ship for his bigoted pals. **** him. Especially after all the club did for him.

Rather pay the wages of some youth players than give him money to spunk up the wall again. 

This with bells and whistles. 

Byyy The Light
1 hour ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Lafferty abandoned ship for his bigoted pals. **** him. Especially after all the club did for him.

Rather pay the wages of some youth players than give him money to spunk up the wall again. 

Preach.

1 hour ago, wavydavy said:

I would really hope we don't bring Lafferty back. Not sure he is a good influence on the young players we have  and may well want too much money.

Anyway the signs are he is off to Thailand.

I'm really not arsed about this to be honest. We're a football club not the cub scouts. If he scored goals at the rate he did last time I'd be a happy man. Showing the youngsters where the goal is and how to find it would do for me.

Clerry Jambo
11 minutes ago, jamboveg said:

Bring him back proven goalscorer .the duke

Not gonnae happen but I would take the dook back just for his goals

1 hour ago, Jamhammer said:

I'm really not arsed about this to be honest. We're a football club not the cub scouts. If he scored goals at the rate he did last time I'd be a happy man. Showing the youngsters where the goal is and how to find it would do for me.

That's fine but I very much doubt he will be back with us.

10 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

That's fine but I very much doubt he will be back with us.

Opportunity missed then IMO provided financially he wasnt gonna break the bank

Howdy Doody Jambo

CL just on radio Scotland saying he is happy with our forward options and believes in them when they get up to speed,

bit of concern I'm thinking could do with an upgrade for Wighton and McLean to kick off with 

GorgieRules22
8 minutes ago, Old Castle Rock said:

CL just on radio Scotland saying he is happy with our forward options and believes in them when they get up to speed,

bit of concern I'm thinking could do with an upgrade for Wighton and McLean to kick off with 

Craig Levein is a balloon so hardly worth listening to anymore.

Captain Canada
53 minutes ago, Old Castle Rock said:

That beggars belief. Let's see how many we score in our next 5 games. I'll bet it's a low total. 

Saint Jambo
1 hour ago, JamboCampbell said:

Lafferty or Cummings would have scored a couple tonight.

My memory is Lafferty often struggled against "lesser" teams. More likely to score against Celtic than St Mirren. There is also the purple patch issue. His stats for us were great. But he hasn't had stats anything like that at many other times in his career. It is the reason many are saying they wouldn't be interested in May for instance. 

1 hour ago, Old Castle Rock said:

Blind or stupid. We huffed and puffed against a lower league team, again. Decent striker would have had us out of sight.

Id be very surprised if any of our current strikers hit double figures. Naismith, Walker, Berra, Halkett will weigh in with a few but our forwards look goal shy.

Cruyff Turn

Nevermind the strikers. How many clear cut chances did they get, or 1 on 1’s? If they were missing them then i’d be worried.

Look how many times we a had a chance to put a good cross in tonight, at least 30 times the cross never got past the first man or was just poor. 

If the deliveries are better and the forwards get more chances, they will score. It’s not rocket science. 

rudi must stay
26 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

Heard a few people talking at the game bout James Morrison signing next week. Couldn’t be any worse

than bozanic

Levein says he's not interested

Anyway at 33 I'm not sure

Edited by rudi must stay

We've scored a combined 5 goals against Cowdenbeath, Dundee Utd and Stenhousemuir yet we say no to Cummings or Lafferty. Have to be some pretty serious off field issues because on paper that is staggeringly ignorant.  

Looks like once again we're pinning all of our hopes on Naismith not being injured. Absolutely crazy tbh and we've clearly learned nothing from last season.

Our midfield looks way poorer and it's unbelievable that we're getting close to kick off in that state.

Shows how comfortably CL is sitting in his job as we needed massive changes and those have not happened.

I like the signings he's made and I'm happy with those he's gotten rid of. We just needed replacements of greater quality to move forward.

This season could easily turn very nasty if something happens to Naismith.

We've had around 60 shots at goal in our three cup games. I know some of them were speculative or long range, but our finishing needs to be better.  We need:

- Washington and Uche to start taking their chances

- Naismith in the team, fit and on form

- To sign one, ideally two, quality central midfielders.

None of these are close to guaranteed but all of them are possible, and they will make it break our season, IMO.

3 hours ago, cosanostra said:

Looks like once again we're pinning all of our hopes on Naismith not being injured. Absolutely crazy tbh and we've clearly learned nothing from last season.

Our midfield looks way poorer and it's unbelievable that we're getting close to kick off in that state.

Shows how comfortably CL is sitting in his job as we needed massive changes and those have not happened.

I like the signings he's made and I'm happy with those he's gotten rid of. We just needed replacements of greater quality to move forward.

I actually disagree that we needed massive changes. Arguably it's having to implement massive changes every summer that have resulted in the past few seasons of stagnation. 

I think Levein was right to target 4 or 5 quality additions, with Naismith and another midfielder we will have hopefully achieved that. The fundamental problem is I see is that there doesn't appear to be any tactical plan, or certainly no innovation as to how we go forward in games. I was saying to my dad on the way out last night, that any team that scouts us in advance will know exactly how to set up to defend against Hearts, because regardless of shape, the tactics are the same, work the ball wide and cross it into the box.

We really need a defensive midfielder who can carry the ball through midfield attract opposition defenders to press to open up space. Without that we will continue to play in front of team's defences and will struggle to score goals.

6 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

We really need a defensive midfielder who can carry the ball through midfield attract opposition defenders to press to open up space. Without that we will continue to play in front of team's defences and will struggle to score goals.

Spot on. Arguably our best moment of the first half if not the game was when Souttar stepped over halfway line and strode all the way into their box. Creating chance for Walker, I think, at back post.

Happens very rarely, players anywhere on the pitch running with the ball in the direction of the goal and regardless of who is in front of them. But typically brings some kind of reward; a chance, a free kick or a corner. Stenny like most teams at Tynecastle sat back in disciplined banks and we struggled to play round them. Soon as a Hearts player takes on a man that structure is under threat and we seem to rely on Mulraney or centre halves as only ones capable  

Naismith  will work wanders for Washington, so far Naismith is the 1 player who will read the clever runs that Washington makes. They will be quite formidable I think but I have 2 concerns:-

1- If Naismith gets injured again

2- Can Washington score the chances once he receives the ball in the neat areas? 

We shouldnt be relying on Naismith and I fully believe Lafferty would be a great signing if the deal was right as he will score if the bill is in the right area. Punt wighton and Mclean out on loan for a season and use there wages to offer Lafferty 1 season to prove himself again. Of course we still need a quality CM. 

Captain Canada

A lot of people are criticising Clare but without a proper DM in there he's pretty restricted as to what he can do. 

Playing alongside Bozanic must be a nightmare. He's slow, gives the ball away a lot and hardly ever tackles. 

I think we need another striker too. We've got Uche, Washington, Naismith, Keena, MacLean, Wighton, Zanatta, Currie and Henderson who can play there but I don't see too many of them being capable of double figures. 

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, Mdoug79 said:

Naismith  will work wanders for Washington, so far Naismith is the 1 player who will read the clever runs that Washington makes. They will be quite formidable I think but I have 2 concerns:-

1- If Naismith gets injured again

2- Can Washington score the chances once he receives the ball in the neat areas? 

We shouldnt be relying on Naismith and I fully believe Lafferty would be a great signing if the deal was right as he will score if the bill is in the right area. Punt wighton and Mclean out on loan for a season and use there wages to offer Lafferty 1 season to prove himself again. Of course we still need a quality CM. 

Washington seems to be a more mobile version of Steven McLean. Lots of intelligent runs and clever linking passing. Really needs a goal though. How one of him, Walker and Bozanic didn't score in that stramash I'll never know. Stenny seemed to be defending behind their own goal line half the game.

Guest ToqueJambo
16 minutes ago, cocobeab said:

Spot on. Arguably our best moment of the first half if not the game was when Souttar stepped over halfway line and strode all the way into their box. Creating chance for Walker, I think, at back post.

Happens very rarely, players anywhere on the pitch running with the ball in the direction of the goal and regardless of who is in front of them. But typically brings some kind of reward; a chance, a free kick or a corner. Stenny like most teams at Tynecastle sat back in disciplined banks and we struggled to play round them. Soon as a Hearts player takes on a man that structure is under threat and we seem to rely on Mulraney or centre halves as only ones capable  

The team that finished the game (and won it) is closer to our staring team with Uche and Mulraney on. Mulraney, Uche, Walker, Naismith and to a lesser extent Washington will all be able to worry defenders. Just need to start getting on the end of things as well.

33 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

I actually disagree that we needed massive changes. Arguably it's having to implement massive changes every summer that have resulted in the past few seasons of stagnation. 

I think Levein was right to target 4 or 5 quality additions, with Naismith and another midfielder we will have hopefully achieved that. The fundamental problem is I see is that there doesn't appear to be any tactical plan, or certainly no innovation as to how we go forward in games. I was saying to my dad on the way out last night, that any team that scouts us in advance will know exactly how to set up to defend against Hearts, because regardless of shape, the tactics are the same, work the ball wide and cross it into the box.

I think 5 first team quality players, not including Naismith,  in key positions is "wholesale changes".

We haven't done that in my view.

We've signed 2 so far in Halkett and Washington and we already have two outstanding centre halves for our level.

I don't think Jamie Walker will ever regain his spark of years ago. Injury has taken his pace and what's left is nothing special. Is he ever going to dominate games and really make things happen for us? I'm not convinced he will. Guess we'll find out. Hickey also seems to be 1st choice left back but I'm sure White will be good cover and experience.

Replacements for Djoum, Lee and a quality winger and I'd be happy.

I'm also far from convinced how useful Wighton and Maclean will be. Keena is completely untested although looks a good finisher.

I think CL should have been fired by now but I'll give him another chance this year but it must be his last if things don't improve. 

Cut The Crap
44 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

In a nutshell.

Bazzas right boot

Folk keep banging on the we need a midfielder. 

Has Levein not said we need at least one, thus indicating that we will get at least one? 

5 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Folk keep banging on the we need a midfielder. 

Has Levein not said we need at least one, thus indicating that we will get at least one? 

Levein constantly mentions a DM but doesn't seem to want to replace Djoum or Lee. 

I guess he's happy with Clare, Irving and Cochrane.

Vlad the impaler

I’m as worried about the other end of the pitch tbh. We’ve kept two clean sheets out of seven in pre season and In some games like last night and Dundee Utd the teams have scored from basically their only attack. That tells me defensively we’ve got a real lack of concentration back there and against better teams we’ll be punished even more. It would be interesting to see Bobby’s shots to save ratio for ore season too

What I just can't understand is the amount of people who watched that last night and either can't see anything wrong or believe that things will work out. We've played three teams from lower leagues and yes we've created a lot of chances but we'll not create anywhere near that number of chances when we play teams in our own division. If we can't score goals against part timers then it's going to be very difficult against players of a same or higher calibre as us.

I realise that there are a lot of fans who for some reason don't want to criticise any aspect of the team but how anyone can be happy with the performances or the direction that the team is currently heading does beggar belief. I've seen very little over the last three games to suggest that our performances are going to be any better than they were in the 2nd half of last season.

Not only is it time for some of our support to get their heads out of the sand but it's time for Budge to seriously start contemplating a new manager. Levein has said that's he happy with the attacking options, well I don't know about others but I'm not impressed with how our attackers have played and our midfield is pedestrian and one paced and if not rectified we are going to struggle massively.

If we play like we have recently in the first few league games we'll get very little out of them and confidence will be very low making it extremely difficult to get it back on track even if we do sign some quality players.

merseyjambo
4 hours ago, cosanostra said:

Absolutely nailed it. 

Quality player Naismith may be, he is unlikely to play 38 games a season. We lose him, we lose our most creative player and we have no back up plan.

Current strike force (Washington, Uche, McLean, Keena and Wighton) will be lucky to hit 20 in the league between them. 

We need and have needed for a very long time a penalty box striker, we still need a creative player, be it a central midfielder or an out and out winger who can deliver a ball to strikers and a holding midfielder. 

CL spoke about this transfer window adding creativity. Yes Walker can be that player but he is prone to an injury or 3 and in games like last night he was completely anonymous. Naismith will add creativity but again he is injury prone. He still is to address it in my opinion

We need a couple of different options to augment what we have. Cummings despite his perceived bad boy attitude I think would be one. At a lower level he’s been far more prolific than Shankland yet a lot of people thought he’d be a fantastic signing. For me he is the fox in the box we need. 

Edited by merseyjambo

After last night I’m in no doubt we need three - two central midfielders and a striker who knows the way to goals.  

Leveins Battalion

Nobody,absolutely nobody can say they are impressed with what's happening at Hearts football wise,Levein is changing the script as he goes without a feckin clue as to what's happening.His post match comments are infuriating and he is a couple of defeats away from bedlam.Get it sorted Craig.

The Treasurer
36 minutes ago, Vlad the impaler said:

I’m as worried about the other end of the pitch tbh. We’ve kept two clean sheets out of seven in pre season and In some games like last night and Dundee Utd the teams have scored from basically their only attack. That tells me defensively we’ve got a real lack of concentration back there and against better teams we’ll be punished even more. It would be interesting to see Bobby’s shots to save ratio for ore season too

The goal we conceded last night was from a breakaway when most of our defenders were in forward positions.

The goal we conceded against Utd was partly down to poor positioning by Bobby.

Both should/could have been prevented but hardly anything to get worried about at this stage

We_are_the_Hearts
13 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

The goal we conceded last night was from a breakaway when most of our defenders were in forward positions.

Both should/could have been prevented but hardly anything to get worried about at this stage

It has happened or almost happened a lot. It's criminal. We noticed it last season. And why oh why is Bozanic anywhere near a set piece, his crossing is woeful. Our defence is fine, the problems are with the centre mid. No tempo or style or creation. It's like lessons are never learned

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Time for Levein to get off the pot and act on the midfield front. Or suffer early on.

Vlad the impaler
1 hour ago, The Treasurer said:

The point is if we’re conceding goals to teams with a fraction of the quality of teams we’ll be facing in the league(breakaway or not) then it doesn’t bode well at all! It feels like we’re sleepwalking into the same problems and mediocrity as last season. 

31 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Time for Levein to get off the pot and act on the midfield front. Or suffer early on.

I agree, though I hope that all this waiting for the right one is a sign that the homework is being done thoroughly.  Last night really showed up the lack of an incisive cutting edge from midfield.  Hopefully we won’t have long to wait now.

hmfc_liam06
11 hours ago, Old Castle Rock said:

He's hardly going to throw them under the bus is he?

33 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Yep.

He also needs to sign a striker that can score goals.

in our three competitive games so far it’s been down to two teenagers and centre half to get us goals.

McLean, Washington, Uche, Keena and Wighton will be lucky to get 20-25 goals between them.

1 hour ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Nobody,absolutely nobody can say they are impressed with what's happening at Hearts football wise,Levein is changing the script as he goes without a feckin clue as to what's happening.His post match comments are infuriating and he is a couple of defeats away from bedlam.Get it sorted Craig.

He was two Craig Halkett goals away from bedlam last night.

hmfc_liam06
8 minutes ago, HighTimes said:

He was two Craig Halkett goals away from bedlam last night.

And 4 off the line clearances and 4 great saves from giving them an absolute doing.

Funny game eh...

5 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

And 4 off the line clearances and 4 great saves from giving them an absolute doing.

Funny game eh...

This is what gets me. The keeper had a great game and on any other day it coulf have almost been double figures score wise.