***OFFICIAL SUMMER TRANSFER THREAD***

Absolute Scenes

OmiyaHearts
1 hour ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Patience ! Manager quite rightly taking his time to make sure gets right player in 

So we've changed our scatter gun approach to transfers? Glad to hear it.

• Replies 12.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Beast Boy

• Cruyff Turn

• Bazzas right boot

OmiyaHearts
45 minutes ago, Portable Badger said:

EEN article:

Interesting to see Craig has had a few 'in' but decided not to pursue them. So maybe he is on the ball after all..... 

Craig Levein likes the look of his new Hearts squad - although one position remains a headache

Published: 06:30 Wednesday 24 July 2019

With just a week and a half to go until Hearts kick-off their Scottish Premiership, Craig Levein is relatively content about the way his team is shaping up.

The manager’s most pressing matter at present is to source an adequate replacement for the all-action holding midfielder, Peter Haring. Beyond this conundrum at the base of his engine room, however, the manager has plenty reason for optimism following a couple of promising Betfred Cup displays. 

The ongoing progress of several fleet-footed young players and the return to fitness of others has reduced the need for an extensive recruitment drive this summer. Craig Halkett has arrived to enhance a backline that was already in pretty good order, while Conor Washington and Jamie Walker have been added to bolster the attacking department. Steven Naismith, who is set to re-sign next week, should have a unifying effect on the whole team.

“It’s always an anxious time of the year,” said Levein, when asked how preparations for the season are going. 

“I feel the centre midfield area is a little bit of a worry because we’ve lost Peter and Arnaud Djoum. Peter will obviously be back in a couple of months but it gives us a little bit of a problem in that defensive midfield area. 

“We’ve got a bundles of attacking players, which was a problem last year. That one position in midfield is a slight worry but I don’t want to rush into anything because I’ll only have one shot at getting the right one.

“At times this season, I want to play 4-4-2, and to do that I need a strong, robust, aggressive player in there and that’s obviously not Andy Irving or Harry Cochrane at the moment. 

“Olly Bozanic and Sean Clare will play together against Stenhousemuir and they’ve done quite well when they’ve played. If I was really worried about it I’d have done something by now but I’ve been in the fortunate position this summer of not having to rush anything. 

“Everything’s been well thought out and well planned. I’ve had three or four players in who I was going to sign but then I didn’t quite get the right vibe, so it’s good to be in a position where I can take my time and not have to panic and bring somebody in at the last minute.”

Levein believes the arrival of a solid holding midfielder will help Clare as he gets to grips with playing central midfield in a 4-4-2. The 22-year-old Englishman was used in a more advanced role last season and Levein believes he is equipped to take on extra responsibility now that he has had time to acclimatise to Scottish football. 

“I’m happy with the way Sean’s adapting to playing in the two,” he said. “For me, his focus now is on winning second balls. I know he can go forward, I know he can score, I know he’s got a good range of passing, but to play in a two you need to be able to do the dirty work. It’s about getting that out of him. 

“He’s come back in good condition. His pre-season work’s been good. He’s definitely fitter, he’s much improved on that front. If Peter was available, him and Sean would dovetail perfectly in there for us. That side of things is all about getting that player in (to cover for Haring). That will help a lot.”

Attack is in good order, with Washington, Uche Ikpeazu, Steven MacLean and Aidan Keena - who Levein has been impressed with this summer - vying for the striker positions and Walker, Naismith, Jake Mulraney, Callumn Morrison, Dario Zanatta, Anthony McDonald all available to play wide or in attacking midfield. 

“The next problem is how I’m going to get them all in the team,” he smiled. “I’m in the fortunate position now of having a number of good attacking players. 

“It doesn’t matter where Naisy plays, that’s the beauty of it. He can play off the left, off the right, centre midfield, up front, or off the striker. And I’ve got Walker who can do the same. Jake is more of a winger and Morrison is the same. Then I’ve got McDonald, who is a bit like Walker in terms of his style of play. Zanatta’s done quite well as well so there’s a whole load of options.”

This new-found array of attackers has allowed Levein to play 4-4-2 in the Betfred Cup this summer. 

“That was what we worked on before the Betfred Cup started,” said the manager. “There are two other systems we’ll play this season that we haven’t touched on yet but we’ll obviously do that before the season starts. 

“There will be times we might play three at the back. Again, I’m quite fortunate that, touch wood, with everyone being fit and well, we’ve got a really strong back line. We’ll also get Ben Garuccio back, probably around November time, which will boost that group.”

I really hope we don't have to start the season with a centre mid partnership of Bozanic & Clare. 

GorgieFifeLife
1 minute ago, Jambo83 said:

I don't think Hearts could afford such a player if I'm being honest mate.. Certainly not at our level.  The jury is still out whether we should have went for the Ayr lad. 

I have a feeling he's trying to create a group of attackers who will all chip in with 10+ goals so we're not over reliant on one player.  Naismith has proved he will give a good return when playing, Walker has at times in the past and he'll be hoping he will again.  Uche would have hit double figures if he'd been fit all season.  it's only really Washington who is a bit of an unknown quantity.

Yeah I can see what he is trying to do but I feel that we could really do with someone who is instinctive in front of goal.  We pass up so many great chances when we are on top in a game and end up counting the cost.  I understand it's not easy within our budget but they will be out there.

2 minutes ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

Yeah I can see what he is trying to do but I feel that we could really do with someone who is instinctive in front of goal.  We pass up so many great chances when we are on top in a game and end up counting the cost.  I understand it's not easy within our budget but they will be out there.

I'd actually like to see Naismith play as a striker at times when we'll see a lot of the ball.  He should only have to drop deep against the better teams to help build it.  I think we should be able to rely on Walker / Mulraney / Clare providing support.  He's clinical in the box and very good in the air for his size.

GorgieFifeLife
Just now, Jambo83 said:

I'd actually like to see Naismith play as a striker at times when we'll see a lot of the ball.  He should only have to drop deep against the better teams to help build it.  I think we should be able to rely on Walker / Mulraney / Clare providing support.  He's clinical in the box and very good in the air for his size.

Yeah I much prefer Naismith further forward think he gets lost too deep and isn't as effective.  I'd like to say we can rely on Clare but he really needs to up his game from now on.

Byyy The Light
24 minutes ago, johnthomas said:

You think ?

To me it just reads like a gross distortion of the truth in a pathetic effort to support a fatuous argument

Started off ok. Agree with the assessment of Lee and Bozanic and to an extent Clare. He at least acknowledged Clare is still young.

Rest was a lot of speculation, guesswork and agenda driven nonsense. 

1 hour ago, kimosavi said:

Surely there could be a few potential signing/s in the stands watching tonight's game 

Keep a look out 👀👀👀

Since they have moved directors box it's a lot harder to look!

All roads lead to Gorgie

The thing is a longer you wait the quality available gradually diminishes but at the same time some transfers fall through and hopefully we are there to step in and grab a player we might not have been be able to buy earlier. Levein probably has his eye on a midfielder in that situation.

Unknown user
1 hour ago, North Berwick Jambo said:

Joaquim Adão would be ideal cover for Haring, where is he these days? 

I'd have him back in a heart beat, we need a bit of steel in there

Selkirkhmfc1874
3 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

The thing is a longer you wait the quality available gradually diminishes but at the same time some transfers fall through and hopefully we are there to step in and grab a player we might not have been be able to buy earlier. Levein probably has his eye on a midfielder in that situation.

The english transfer window closes on 8th august so up here we've still got over 3 weeks after that 

Nookie Bear
1 hour ago, Portable Badger said:

EEN article:

Interesting to see Craig has had a few 'in' but decided not to pursue them. So maybe he is on the ball after all..... 

Craig Levein likes the look of his new Hearts squad - although one position remains a headache

Published: 06:30 Wednesday 24 July 2019

With just a week and a half to go until Hearts kick-off their Scottish Premiership, Craig Levein is relatively content about the way his team is shaping up.

The manager’s most pressing matter at present is to source an adequate replacement for the all-action holding midfielder, Peter Haring. Beyond this conundrum at the base of his engine room, however, the manager has plenty reason for optimism following a couple of promising Betfred Cup displays. 

The ongoing progress of several fleet-footed young players and the return to fitness of others has reduced the need for an extensive recruitment drive this summer. Craig Halkett has arrived to enhance a backline that was already in pretty good order, while Conor Washington and Jamie Walker have been added to bolster the attacking department. Steven Naismith, who is set to re-sign next week, should have a unifying effect on the whole team.

“It’s always an anxious time of the year,” said Levein, when asked how preparations for the season are going. 

“I feel the centre midfield area is a little bit of a worry because we’ve lost Peter and Arnaud Djoum. Peter will obviously be back in a couple of months but it gives us a little bit of a problem in that defensive midfield area. 

“We’ve got a bundles of attacking players, which was a problem last year. That one position in midfield is a slight worry but I don’t want to rush into anything because I’ll only have one shot at getting the right one.

“At times this season, I want to play 4-4-2, and to do that I need a strong, robust, aggressive player in there and that’s obviously not Andy Irving or Harry Cochrane at the moment. 

“Olly Bozanic and Sean Clare will play together against Stenhousemuir and they’ve done quite well when they’ve played. If I was really worried about it I’d have done something by now but I’ve been in the fortunate position this summer of not having to rush anything. 

“Everything’s been well thought out and well planned. I’ve had three or four players in who I was going to sign but then I didn’t quite get the right vibe, so it’s good to be in a position where I can take my time and not have to panic and bring somebody in at the last minute.”

Levein believes the arrival of a solid holding midfielder will help Clare as he gets to grips with playing central midfield in a 4-4-2. The 22-year-old Englishman was used in a more advanced role last season and Levein believes he is equipped to take on extra responsibility now that he has had time to acclimatise to Scottish football. 

“I’m happy with the way Sean’s adapting to playing in the two,” he said. “For me, his focus now is on winning second balls. I know he can go forward, I know he can score, I know he’s got a good range of passing, but to play in a two you need to be able to do the dirty work. It’s about getting that out of him. 

“He’s come back in good condition. His pre-season work’s been good. He’s definitely fitter, he’s much improved on that front. If Peter was available, him and Sean would dovetail perfectly in there for us. That side of things is all about getting that player in (to cover for Haring). That will help a lot.”

Attack is in good order, with Washington, Uche Ikpeazu, Steven MacLean and Aidan Keena - who Levein has been impressed with this summer - vying for the striker positions and Walker, Naismith, Jake Mulraney, Callumn Morrison, Dario Zanatta, Anthony McDonald all available to play wide or in attacking midfield. 

“The next problem is how I’m going to get them all in the team,” he smiled. “I’m in the fortunate position now of having a number of good attacking players. 

“It doesn’t matter where Naisy plays, that’s the beauty of it. He can play off the left, off the right, centre midfield, up front, or off the striker. And I’ve got Walker who can do the same. Jake is more of a winger and Morrison is the same. Then I’ve got McDonald, who is a bit like Walker in terms of his style of play. Zanatta’s done quite well as well so there’s a whole load of options.”

This new-found array of attackers has allowed Levein to play 4-4-2 in the Betfred Cup this summer. 

“That was what we worked on before the Betfred Cup started,” said the manager. “There are two other systems we’ll play this season that we haven’t touched on yet but we’ll obviously do that before the season starts. 

“There will be times we might play three at the back. Again, I’m quite fortunate that, touch wood, with everyone being fit and well, we’ve got a really strong back line. We’ll also get Ben Garuccio back, probably around November time, which will boost that group.”

Sounds like we will be seeing a lot of rotation in the forward positions as well.

All roads lead to Gorgie
5 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

The english transfer window closes on 8th august so up here we've still got over 3 weeks after that 

Players still available after the 8th from overseas could be of a good standard, Scotland on the other hand less so. I think we will maybe get a loan in quickly and then add a midfielder after the season starts. 

The Treasurer
9 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Players still available after the 8th from overseas could be of a good standard, Scotland on the other hand less so. I think we will maybe get a loan in quickly and then add a midfielder after the season starts. 

The way Levein keeps talking about "cover" for Haring would suggest that a loan deal could be what he is looking at.

FarmerTweedy
8 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

There'll be plenty of players still available from England after the 8th too!

1 hour ago, FarmerTweedy said:

You're just putting your own impressions on signings there and assuming Levein saw them the same way as you.

In the case of Haring, he did seem to be primarily signed as a defender, but he'd played as a midfielder for quite some time before moving into defence, and Levein would have been well aware of that, and would probably have seen him as someone who could at least provide cover as a defensive midfielder as well as actually in defence. I imagine Levein would have been pleasantly surprised by just how well he's done in midfield though.

In the case of Naismith, you're simply hopelessly out of date. Well before he joined Hearts, Naismith had already transitioned from being an out-and-out forward player into more of a number 10, tending to play deeper than a main striker, and more as a very attacking midfielder.

In the case of Walker, again you're hopelessly out of date. He may have started out as a winger, but even long before he left us for Wigan, he'd started playing in a much narrower, more central role, as an attacking midfielder.

When Naismith signed on loan, no one on here was going on yes we've filled our attacking midfielder position. He was signed to get goals and yes he can play the ten role and drop back but he can so play as a striker. When he signs and is fit, is Walker going to play instead of him or will walker play out wide?? I think we all know where walker will play and it will not be instead of Naismith. Will we play two attacking midfielders?? Maybe but then we'll have a very disappointed strike force if only one of them is destined to play each game.The very best No 10's are able to support the midfield and the attacker and it looks like we've got it right with Naismith but if he is going to play the attacking midfield position behind Washington and Uche, where does that leave Clare?? Because I don't think that Clare will be able to play the more reserved central midfield place especially if we have no Haring to protect the midfield and defence. 

Now I know it wasn't you who mentioned about Bozanic, but my point on him is that while he featured 24 times and started 15 games there was no consistency in those starts. Players need a run of games to get to know both team mates and tactics so continually chopping and changing the team while it might help keep more players happy it won't help the team in the long run. It's always been said that finding and keeping a settled team produces better results than changing the team each week. Once the new players are in Levein and the fans need to give them time to bed in and establish a rapport with the rest of the team.

Edited by dougal

All roads lead to Gorgie
15 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

There'll be plenty of players still available from England after the 8th too!

Free agents with something to prove can work well. Fitness and injuries carried need looked at carefully though!

Need a striker/poacher, a selection of forwards who are not exactly keen on finding the net isn't ideal. However all are suitable as the second man. 

1 hour ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I don't think this is true at all. As clubs in bigger leagues finalise their squads ahead of the transfer window closing, there will be good players become available either on loan or through being released.

As a wider point, there is no point in signing a player for the sake of it. We are always better waiting to get the right player as opposed to any player.

4 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

I don't think this is true at all. As clubs in bigger leagues finalise their squads ahead of the transfer window closing, there will be good players become available either on loan or through being released.

As a wider point, there is no point in signing a player for the sake of it. We are always better waiting to get the right player as opposed to any player.

Isn't this the first year the English window closes before the rest of Europe?

That will leave a lot of players down south in limbo.

1 minute ago, Lovecraft said:

Isn't this the first year the English window closes before the rest of Europe?

That will leave a lot of players down south in limbo.

I think it started last year. I think, based on Football Manager, Italy does the same.

1 minute ago, Martin_T said:

I think it started last year. I think, based on Football Manager, Italy does the same.

I think it should benefit Scottish clubs.

More likely to get players that would be normally unavailable, or willing to play in Scotland.  Either play in the under 23s, or move to Scotland to get game time.

Time will tell I guess.

20 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Jason Cummings, (Rangers) 15 Premiership appearances 2 goals. 

Uche Ikpeazu, (Hearts) 17 Premiership appearances 3 goals. 

Uche played 2 of those games with a broken foot. Does nobody else check their facts or think before posting? 

Conveniently leaving out his Hibs record I see, which was 55 goals from 114 apps.

Jason Cummings overall carrer average = 65 goals in 170 apps which is 2.6 games per goal

Uche Ikpeazu overall career average = 34 goals in 160 apps which is 4.7 games per goal

Might be an idea to practice what you preach and check your own facts or think before you post. He's scored nearly double the goals Uche has, despite only playing 10 more games AND being a year younger. 

Edited by mc2607

Jambo, Goodbye
6 minutes ago, mc2607 said:

Conveniently leaving out his Hibs record I see, which was 55 goals from 114 apps.

Jason Cummings overall carrer average = 65 goals in 170 apps which is 2.6 games per goal

Uche Ikpeazu overall career average = 34 goals in 160 apps which is 4.7 games per goal

Might be an idea to practice what you preach and check your own facts or think before you post. He's scored nearly double the goals Uche has, despite only playing 10 more games AND being a year younger. 

Conveniently forgetting to mention which league Cummings has had success in and in which league he hasn't. 

1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

He was on £40k a week at Chelsea 😮

That was a while ago though, to be fair. He'd have been on half that (or less) at Brentford. I've been keeping an eye on him through the summer because I've wanted us to sign him, but apparently Aston Villa are interested so if that's the case we've got no chance.

Mr Elwood P
8 minutes ago, mc2607 said:

Anyone with half a brain will be able to work out why I compared Uche at Hearts with Cummings at Rangers.

Edited by Mr Elwood P

18 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Anyone with half a brain will be able to work out why I compared Uche at Hearts with Cummings at Rangers.

Agree to disagree lol.

Still think Cummings would be a good signing and that he's capable of scoring goals if playing for the right team. Whether or not he would become our main goal threat would remain to be seen.

Edited by mc2607

heartmussel
Just now, mc2607 said:

Agree to disagree lol. 

Still think Cummings would be a good signing. Whether or not he would become our main goal threat would remain to be seen.

Think he is on his way to St Johnstone what I’m hearing🤷‍♂️

AlphonseCapone
14 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

St johnstone needed something - started horrendously so fair dues.

Re Clare - he is a tall elegant runner in the middle of midfield with the ball at his feet so I understand why a lot of Hearts fans don’t ‘get him’.

Hopefully Clare lives up to his cult following this year. Certainly a lot of faith being shown in him. 

hearts 4 the cup

Cummings had a good scoring record in the Scottish championship but has pretty much flopped everywhere else. His link up play etc is really poor too. This is where Uche is miles ahead of him albeit isn’t as prolific. I’d much rather give Keena a proper shot this season than waste a wage on Cummings 

Hungry hippo
2 hours ago, Jambo83 said:

When we play 4-4-2 I think he will play up front.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Sounds to me he knows who he wants and is waiting for them to drop a £ or 2

Robbo-Jambo
4 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

When we play 4-4-2 I think he will play up front.

Agree. Naismith and either Washington or Uche with Walker in behind them. 

Alex Kintner

Loving that interview with Levein. Exactly where I am and delighted we’ll be playing 4-4-2 most of the season with two up front and two supporting from wide. Delighted we’re taking our time to get the right player in as well. The only people panicking are the wibblers on here. Happy days 😊👍🏻

Cruyff Turn
6 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Loving that interview with Levein. Exactly where I am and delighted we’ll be playing 4-4-2 most of the season with two up front and two supporting from wide. Delighted we’re taking our time to get the right player in as well. The only people panicking are the wibblers on here. Happy days 😊👍🏻

Agreed. 👍🏼

2 hours ago, Smithee said:

I'd have him back in a heart beat, we need a bit of steel in there

I liked him as well although our refs didn't.

10 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Agree.

In December 2017 we managed to end (all-conquering) Celtic's unbeaten run which stretched to 69 games.

Celtic's midfield that day consisted of Brown, Forrest, McGregor and Ntcham with Sinclair supporting the striker and we ended up running them ragged with a midfield consisting of Buaben, Cochrane, Cowie and Callaghan with Milinkovic supporting the striker (McDonald replaced Buaben midway through the second half when the score was 3-0). The game isn't just about skill, sometimes it's about application and desire as proved that day. I'm sure we'll find a suitable midfielder in the fullness of time but the guys we already have are more than capable.

Edited by Musemic

Mr Elwood P
12 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

A 4-4-2 doesn’t really leave a lot of space for new recruits.

Zlamal

Hickey

Berra

Souttar

Smith

Mulraney

Clare 

Haring

Walker 

Naismith 

Uche / Washington

Don’t think we have any particularly weak players in that squad. Bench of Halkett, White, Morrison, McDonald, Bozanic & MacLean.

He did say we would have about 3 formations we would use this season, I am guesing a 4-2-3-1 and a 3-5-2.

guess its all about what formation clicks

YouLetYourClubDie

Evening Telegraph reporting that Cummings is at St Johnstone today to negotiate a loan deal and that they are close to signing May on a 3 year deal. I doubt we are interested in Cummings if this is true. Two good signings for them if it comes off.

Edited by YouLetYourClubDie

2 minutes ago, YouLetYourClubDie said:

Evening Telegraph reporting that Cummings is at St Johnstone today to negotiate a loan deal and that they are close to signing May on a 3 year deal. I doubt we are interested in Cummings if this is true. Two good signings for them if it comes off.

May is useless 

heartmussel
2 minutes ago, YouLetYourClubDie said:

McNulty to Sunderland reporting as well .

My guess is Levein is looking around teams like Liverpool, Man Utd, Spurs etc and looking to see if we can loan someone in to replace Haring until he is fit. 

We've done that with those clubs or similar in recent seasons.

1 hour ago, mc2607 said:

Scoring in the Scottish Championship seems to the the top quality likes of you base your suggestions on. 

Do we really have no intentions of getting a quality CM in?  All i see is chat of cover for Haring.  Djoum even though he was lacking in desire was our main man in the middle and i thought replacing him would be an absolute priority.

I don't think any of the young lads or sean clare is an adequate replacement for the hole Djoum leaves, we need at least 1 experienced, good creator in the middle. IMO anyway.