***OFFICIAL SUMMER TRANSFER THREAD***

Absolute Scenes

OK, I have to admit that I’m mystified that Edwards is being released. He showed enough in the Cup final to prove that he could be a useful option to have, and although he might not be the most technically gifted player we have, his all-action style and energy gave us something we were lacking for much of last season. I don’t think we’d have run Celtic close without him, and not just because he scored.

Given the other CMs who have gone, are going, or are injured, the only way this decision makes any sense at all is if we are close to tying up a proper marquee signing - a first-name-on-the-team-sheet player. We’re looking threadbare in centre mid, and Edwards is a reliable squad player, even if nothing else. Why would you let him leave unless you were bringing in a guaranteed starter (as opposed to another gamble?)

I’m not saying I EXPECT a marquee signing, though it would be nice (won’t hold my breath but). I’m saying that this is the only way to make this decision rational.

• Replies 12.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Beast Boy

• Cruyff Turn

• Bazzas right boot

28 minutes ago, Dallas Green said:

Clare is a much better footballer than Edwards.

Agree, although he needs to show more heart as he tends to go missing when things are going against us. Just my opinion 👍

36 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

You really are a terrible chronic poster, closing in on dethroning I8 as the worst of a bad bunch on this forum

Either a hibby (which means you are a very sad individual who needs help) or you don't have much going for you (who also needs help) and respond in posting countless posts of complete bucky mouthwashed drivel

Really? Because that is exactly what happened last season. As for your Hibby comment - pathetic. Unlike the CL happy clappers I state exactly what occurred.

A_A wehatethehibs

Alarm bells are definitely ringing about our midfield. Bozanic-Clare is currently our most senior partnership in terms of fit players, that's bottom 6 material. Haring is decent but question mark over how many games we'll get out of him.

It seems the club rates Cochrane, Irving and Connor Smith as good enough to be starting games in midfield for Hearts. It wont take long to find out, there's no hiding place when you're a central midfielder. As it stands in the Hearts pecking order those 3 are replacing Djoum, Lee, Edwards who comparatively had vastly more experience.

We definitely need quality and experience in there. Dorrans to me stands out as the #1 player Hearts need, if his injury hasn't finished him. Experienced possesion player, good vision, intelligent with quick feet - would link well with Naismith.

26 minutes ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

But never a centre mid. We are less than 2 weeks away from a big opening match away from home against one of our main rivals and our midfield options are laughable.  We may indeed sign a couple of players but will they have had a proper pre season and be ready to hit the ground running.

Do you just keep repeating the same thing?

26 minutes ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

But never a centre mid. We are less than 2 weeks away from a big opening match away from home against one of our main rivals and our midfield options are laughable.  We may indeed sign a couple of players but will they have had a proper pre season and be ready to hit the ground running.

This x 100. Once again we’ve scurrying about in the bargain basement whilst Hibs and Aberdeen have promptly went about their business. At least Levein has his ready made excuse when it all goes tits up to argue the player hasn’t had a pre season. 

37 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Maybe this extract from the EEN might help clarify for you.

Increased competition this season, however, meant Edwards - who has played no part in Hearts’ two Betfred Cup games this season - wasn’t going to get the game time he craved, so he will head to England in an effort to get his career back on track.

So that would suggest he instigated the move.

4 minutes ago, Doc Rob said:

OK, I have to admit that I’m mystified that Edwards is being released. He showed enough in the Cup final to prove that he could be a useful option to have, and although he might not be the most technically gifted player we have, his all-action style and energy gave us something we were lacking for much of last season. I don’t think we’d have run Celtic close without him, and not just because he scored.

Given the other CMs who have gone, are going, or are injured, the only way this decision makes any sense at all is if we are close to tying up a proper marquee signing - a first-name-on-the-team-sheet player. We’re looking threadbare in centre mid, and Edwards is a reliable squad player, even if nothing else. Why would you let him leave unless you were bringing in a guaranteed starter (as opposed to another gamble?)

I’m not saying I EXPECT a marquee signing, though it would be nice (won’t hold my breath but). I’m saying that this is the only way to make this decision rational.

Edwards played about 5 games at the end of the season. He couldn't get near the team before that. I liked the boy but I'm surprised anyone is surprised that he has gone.

Kbers saying Edwards is a player based on his appearances makes me laugh.

He has rarely ever started in games and yet we are in a bit of a crisis in midfield, should mean that even for the dippiest it is obvious he is surplus to requirements.

In my opinion Burns, Keena, Moore  are in same boat but will go out on loan as have youth on their side 

9 minutes ago, Doc Rob said:

Agreed, and the same argument applies to Lee. Why let him go unless someone better is lined up? We live in hope!

If Edwards is away to Burton is it possible that there might be a midfielder coming the other way ?

I see they have former Dundee Utd Player Scott Fraser, only signed for them last year so maybe not but was he at Dundee Utd with Souttar?

Also Didn't realise Templeton was down there !!!!!!

tokyowalnut
4 minutes ago, Markymark said:

This x 100. Once again we’ve scurrying about in the bargain basement whilst Hibs and Aberdeen have promptly went about their business. At least Levein has his ready made excuse when it all goes tits up to argue the player hasn’t had a pre season. 

How do you know we are 'scurrying about the bargain basement"? Who have Hibs signed that you would have like? I'm not concerned in the slightest, we wouldn't be letting him go if there weren't players lined up to come in. 2 before the league season starts.

RenfrewHearts

:cornette:

The pant wetting over a third rate Midfielder, who played a total of 5 games for us last season, finding a new club.

Ridiculous.

Thanks for the goal Ryan but you weren’t good enough end of discussion. 

Cruyff Turn
3 minutes ago, Dia Liom said:

Edwards played about 5 games at the end of the season. He couldn't get near the team before that. I liked the boy but I'm surprised anyone is surprised that he has gone.

Yep, it’s not really a big deal. I wish him well however. 

Once Lee goes, which I expect him to and with Haring possibly a long term injury, we will definitely sign 2 midfielders imo and I think both with be good. 

Dallas Green
7 minutes ago, Markymark said:

That right aye?

Who have Hibs brought in midfield that you think we should have pipped them?

Also, when we bring in a midfielder, and he isn't bargain basement, will you give Levein the credit for pulling off a good signing?

David McCaig
1 minute ago, RenfrewHearts said:

:cornette:

The pant wetting over a third rate Midfielder, who played a total of 5 games for us last season, finding a new club.

Ridiculous.

Thanks for the goal Ryan but you weren’t good enough end of discussion. 

5 games of which we won zero!!!

I don't think that Cochrane or Irving are ready to start every week, but certainly good enough to fill in when required.  Hopefully, we can move on Bozanic as well.

In my opinion we only need one midfielder, but we need that player to be outstanding (relatively speaking) and if that player warrants the combined wage of Djoum, Edwards, Lee and Martin so be it.

1 hour ago, How's my driving said:

Barry Anderson on Twitter saying we've been offered lots of midfielders.  No names or hints. So probably just guessing 

Sounds like he posts on here.

Dallas Green
Just now, Barack said:

Hibs have been shopping at Harrods, of course.

:lol:

Obviously, they are owned by a multi billionaire, haven't you heard? 😂

2 hours ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Yip. 

Gearing up for this, tbh wouldn't be Suprised if Maclean went back to saints either. 

MacLean should be nex5 so that we can get another strker with a bit of presence. Hopefully Keena steps up as the poacher we also need.

Famous 1874
12 minutes ago, Markymark said:

Hibs have signed utter shite bar Allan

David McCaig
Just now, tcjambo said:

MacLean should be nex5 so that we can get another strker with a bit of presence. Hopefully Keena steps up as the poacher we also need.

Once Washington gets his first goal under his belt, I think he will  go on to do excellently for us.

12 minutes ago, Dia Liom said:

It wouldn’t be remotely surprising if we had enough cover in midfield to make him surplus to requirements. The problem is that we don’t, or not yet, at least.

Levein said we needed another midfielder a couple of weeks ago, and that was before Edwards was released. Edwards fought his way back from nowhere to start in the Cup final, and score. He’s good backup, at least, and with Lee and Djoum leaving and no clear idea when Haring will return, letting him go is a bizarre decision, UNLESS there is someone coming in who is proven and a clear starter.

Edited by Doc Rob

4 minutes ago, Dia Liom said:

I don't think anyone would've been surprised to see him gone had he not had a short run in the team for the last few games of the season. However, he was arguably our best player in the Cup Final, goal aside. We struggled in midfield last season when the likes of Lee, Djoum and Clare couldn't be bothered chasing and tackling, Edwards did all of that when he came in and I for one was looking forward to seeing if he would kick on this coming season. Even if he'd came in and played horse manure, after watching him you'd be entitled to say..." ah well, he isn't good enough".  maybe he is/was, maybe he wasn't. We'll never really know now though.

Rocky jamboa
2 minutes ago, tcjambo said:

....and wighton! 🙏

4 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Sounds like he posts on here.

Barry Anderson picks up 99% of his stories up from here 

4 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

Once Washington gets his first goal under his belt, I think he will  go on to do excellently for us.

Which will be Wednesday night 

I get the feeling there are going to be a lot of disappointed folks on here when we finally announce this 'marquee' CM signing :lol: 

2 minutes ago, Paulp74 said:

....and wighton! 🙏

Wighton is  young enough to prove himself if he stays free from injury

5 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

Hibs have signed utter shite bar Allan

Vela and Dioge at Hibs and Bryson at Aberdeen id have taken. 

Mr Elwood P
1 minute ago, Markymark said:

Doige is a donkey. 

12 minutes ago, bn jambo said:

If Edwards is away to Burton is it possible that there might be a midfielder coming the other way ?

I see they have former Dundee Utd Player Scott Fraser, only signed for them last year so maybe not but was he at Dundee Utd with Souttar?

Also Didn't realise Templeton was down there !!!!!!

I doubt he'd be interested in Templeton or he would've brought him in last summer instead of Mulraney. He was excellent for Hamilton that season and still had unfinished business at Hearts. The horse has bolted on that front i'd think. Scott Fraser would be an interesting ne though.

Nookie Bear
8 minutes ago, tcjambo said:

Get rid of the only striker that Levein currently believes is “in the right place”? 🤔

Famous 1874
3 minutes ago, Markymark said:

Doige has been nothing but slated by a Hibs fans since joining them. Proper donkey apparently.

Edited by Famous 1874

1 minute ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Doige is a donkey. 

He’ll score more than any of our strikers this season. He’s already scored more than wighton in his first 2 games. 😂

Just now, jambonian said:

I doubt he'd be interested in Templeton or he would've brought him in last summer instead of Mulraney. He was excellent for Hamilton that season and still had unfinished business at Hearts. The horse has bolted on that front i'd think. Scott Fraser would be an interesting ne though.

Nah don't think we would be interested in Templeton either just wasn't aware that's where he was now.

Scott Fraser on the other hand, Maybe

3 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

Doige has been nothing but slated by a Hibs fans since joining them. Proper donkey apparently.

was listening to sport sound when hibs were playing and i don't think i have heard a more shan review of a player, reminded the commentator of james colins who used to play for them. '' big lump who cant move'' 

At least Uche can shift past a player when needed

kingantti1874
9 minutes ago, tcjambo said:

Wighton is  young enough to prove himself if he stays free from injury

He won’t. Was never a star for Dundee, he’s done absolutely nothing for us, I hope I’m wrong but he will be gone by next season.

kingantti1874
6 minutes ago, Markymark said:

He’ll score more than any of our strikers this season. He’s already scored more than wighton in his first 2 games. 😂

Hibs supporting mate says he’s crap. Sounded crap by all accounts from reports from the weekend.   Sounds like Cole Stockton to me

Absolute Scenes
33 minutes ago, Prof said:

Really? Because that is exactly what happened last season. As for your Hibby comment - pathetic. Unlike the CL happy clappers I state exactly what occurred.

Cool Story bro, that's exactly what happened with every player right enough - and that's exactly what Levein's plan was, to sign a player just so he could freeze him out, then bring him back just for a wee bit of hope at the end, then chuck him ... just for the banter ken - you really have lost it!

Away and fill .net with your bucky drenched bile, at least it will blend in

Mr Elwood P
11 minutes ago, Markymark said:

Will he aye?

14 minutes ago, Markymark said:

£100 charity bet he doesn't.

Big Hearts OK for you?

33 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

So that would suggest he instigated the move.

It could have however maybe CL called him in and said you are not going to be playing as often as you want would you like to stay or would you prefer to look for another club just like Olly Lee? Two sides to every story.

8 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Hibs supporting mate says he’s crap. Sounded crap by all accounts from reports from the weekend.   Sounds like Cole Stockton to me

Decent scoring record - 1 goal in every 2 games on average and they paid a bit of cash for him. Time will tell but I’d rather be signing players that are proven goalscorers than any most ‘projects’ or gambles. 

7 minutes ago, Eddie The Eagle said:

Loic Damour is a name that's been mentioned to me 

Loan or signing? Former I would guess if there is any substance to this, would be on a decent wedge at Cardiff

Edited by sandyk

2 minutes ago, Rudolf said:

£100 charity bet he doesn't.

Big Hearts OK for you?

Agreed. All comps 👍

8 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Will he aye?

Aye probably based on his previous stats