***OFFICIAL SUMMER TRANSFER THREAD***

Absolute Scenes

fabienleclerq

I don't understand the article, "increased competition"! Have a missed 3 or 4 CM signing? Surely we have folk lined up if we are letting him leave. 

• Replies 12.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Beast Boy

• Cruyff Turn

• Bazzas right boot

I don’t know how much we are shelling out on Walker, Naismith and Washington in wages but we must have shifted quite a bit of wages off the books now when Lee and Edwards go. 

Surely room for a very decent calibre of CM to come in.  With Clare converting to CM and the desire to give Irving and Cochrane game time, not to mention the fact that Walker or Naismith could play in a midfield three, I would be surprised if CL brings in two CMs. 

Definitely doesn't mean more midfielders coming in. It'll simply be much more game time for Irving, Cochrane etc.

1 minute ago, Ribble said:

Better to let a player leave for free than have him sit around not playing and picking up a wage, we'll get fee's for 1st team players who are under contract and performing week in week out. Plus being seen as a good club to deal with if things don't work out will only help get us players that may be on the fence otherwise.

Yeh I get that letting players go if they are not in the plans is good all round but we had so many injuries last season, Edwards finally gets a game shows his worth he didn’t go to the press with I told you so and he’s a known quantity who was an all round decent professional , he’s now gone? unless we have a much better player coming in we are now weaker 

5 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Going for the 514 formation or something this year?!

The 1 in the middle is still redundant with Berra's hoofball tbh.

🙂

Never given a decent chance. Last few games was never going to be enough. Why did we sign him if he wasn't seen as good enough?

KyleLafferty

Centre mids options now are;

Haring (injured)

Sean Clare

Andy Irving

Harry Cochrane 

Ollie Bozanic

Please to god have at least one in the pipeline. I heard Darren Fletcher a month or two ago, but he was waiting to see what was happening with the technical director role at Man United. 

21 minutes ago, gov said:

Wish him all the best, people can slate him but his attitude and work rate was great. We must have someone lined up if we are allowing him to leave! 

Makes you wonder why CL signed him and Lee in the first place.

Edwards would have been useful to have retained as a squad player. He put in a shift in each of the few games he played for the club, so I don't think we can ask for more from him. If he wants to go and play then that is understandable.

Goes without saying that we definitely need at least one more experienced body in central midfield now.

I'm sure he was signed before we signed Naismith on loan last year and also before we signed Clare. 

That’s a bad decision. I thought he needed a chance and felt he had a bit tenacity about him which we have lacked. Don’t get this one

The Apprentice
12 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

Don't think CL fancied him from the start. Strange situation. I liked him. 

When he signed I'm sure CL spoke about liking him from his Reading days some years ago, so sounds like there was a bit of background to the signing. 

3 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

Centre mids options now are;

Haring (injured)

Sean Clare

Andy Irving

Harry Cochrane 

Ollie Bozanic

Please to god have at least one in the pipeline. I heard Darren Fletcher a month or two ago, but he was waiting to see what was happening with the technical director role at Man United. 

Arguably, depending on how we set up, Naismith and Walker are central midfield options as well.

But definitely agree we need to add more in there.

2 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Makes you wonder why CL signed him and Lee in the first place.

I'm starting to think Levein is somehow getting a % of agent fees.

StevenNaismith

The Edwards news isn’t surprising, as much as he done well in terms of energy and pressing he was only really used out of pure necessity due to the injuries we had and poor form of the ones who were fit. I’d imagine we must be about to announce two new midfielders. Quality ones I hope.

Hard to retain players who will not get much game time, edwards is a solid pro who will want to play 1st team football. do we expect irving will start over harry or the other way round? very interesting to see who be bring in to cover haring as you would hope they are in quickly to get a understanding with the current squad.

41 minutes ago, bazman said:

Having talks with Kilmarnock seemingly

Think Dundee are also very interested. 

Dallas Green

We signed him before we knew Naismith was coming back to us at the start of last season. 

I'm surprised by this as I thought this was someone who Levein was going to use this year. Maybe he has seen enough from the youngsters to know they can step up this year and with his wage off the bill, the midfielder who is going to be brought in might be of a higher caliber due to the wages we could offer with him gone.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer

limited player but made a big difference due to his energy

if we've got better then great if we end up with a lethargic plodding midfield again then criticism well due

(apart from the sycophants who will defend the plodders for 9 months then later admit it was dire in the past tense)

well done Ryan all the best

Edited by MoncurMacdonaldMercer

I am disappointed we have lost a good squad player.

He will never be the world's best footballer nor a regular in the team but his energy and drive were particularly required in games where we needed to harry the opposition and the Cup final was one.

Say What Again

Evening News citing increased competition this season as one of the reasons he's going. Really? Djoum gone, Lee going, Haring injured?

It seems the right decision to be moving him on, but I'm not sure it's due to increased competiition in his position.

Not overly happy with that, thought he could have made a contribution this season. Certainly one of the brighter sparks post-split. All the best to him, hope he kicks on and realises his potential 

Inch Hearts
Just now, JamboAl said:

I am disappointed we have lost a good squad player.

He will never be the world's best footballer nor a regular in the team but his energy and drive were particularly required in games where we needed to harry the opposition and the Cup final was one.

Hes shite, can do so much better.  Thankfully management see that.

Good luck Ryan, a good season in L1 and Hibs might want you for a top 6 charge next season. 

Good move for the boy, think he could be a useful squad player and a starter in certain games where we need a runner, but don’t think he was anywhere near technically good enough to be a main Cm. 

Thanks for the goal that allowed us to dream, best wishes. 

Inch Hearts
1 minute ago, Say What Again said:

Evening News citing increased competition this season as one of the reasons he's going. Really? Djoum gone, Lee going, Haring injured?

It seems the right decision to be moving him on, but I'm not sure it's due to increased competiition in his position.

Better players coming in and he can’t get a game behind the youngsters. 

SectionDJambo

He certainly didn’t lack any effort in the games he played. May be limited, skill wise, but every team needs a grafter in midfield and this seems strange to let him go after he, finally, got a chance.

I wish him all the best, and a thanks for allowing us to dream, for a wee while, at Hampden.

2 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

Good luck Ryan, a good season in L1 and Hibs might want you for a top 6 charge next season. 

Ah, the Voice of Football has spoken!

Going to be confirmed in the next few days according to EEN.

Does that possibly mean a swap with Temps, Boyce or Fraser?

Inch Hearts
1 minute ago, JamboAl said:

Ah, the Voice of Football has spoken!

No, head of football operations has spoken actually 👍 

King Of The Cat Cafe
2 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

He certainly didn’t lack any effort in the games he played. May be limited, skill wise, but every team needs a grafter in midfield and this seems strange to let him go after he, finally, got a chance.

I wish him all the best, and a thanks for allowing us to dream, for a wee while, at Hampden.

Spot on.

3 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

That the same management that signed him? Go figure

Inch Hearts
Just now, JamboAl said:

Going to be confirmed in the next few days according to EEN.

Does that possibly mean a swap with Temps, Boyce or Fraser?

Aye because Burton are complete mugs right enough :lol: 

Selkirkhmfc1874
5 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

Harsh 

rudi must stay
4 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

Aye because Burton are complete mugs right enough :lol: 

Where we not interested in Fraser?

Only 12 games last season

Stranger things have happened

downunder jambo

I'm a bit disappointed to hear Edwards is being allowed to leave. I don't think he was given a fair go right from the start and 'd have liked to see him play a few more games for us this season and see if he could continue on from where he left off last season. Hopefully he will get to play more regularly at Burton and do well for them. I wish him all the best.

Pretty disappointed by this. One of the signings that excited me most last season, and when called upon at the end of last season, proved he was more than capable of playing for us. The cup final showed that.

Is he better than Naismith? No, but can we afford to be light in a position where we're so reliant on a guy who's 33 in September? And Sean Clare? Is anyone really convinced that he's totally the real deal? I like him, but I still don't think he's ever going to be a star man.

YouLetYourClubDie

Unless we get a couple of quality centre mids and a winger in we won't be near the European places again unfortunately.

20 minutes ago, jamboozy said:

Thanks for that wonderful goal Ryan, best of luck👍

Yeah

A great moment. Ryan should be welcome back any time.

Levein said he was looking at 4 players and would sign 1 out of the 4 to replace Djoum.

With Edwards away, Lee being told he can leave and Haring continuing to be injured do we think he will sign another one or just play Harry/Irving more often?

I think we should definitely sign a holding mid to challenge/unfortunately replace Haring

Mr Elwood P
4 minutes ago, YouLetYourClubDie said:

Unless we get a couple of quality centre mids and a winger in we won't be near the European places again unfortunately.

Definitely don’t need a winger. A couple of the exciting young players are wingers, we also have Walker and Mulraney. Agree that we need a couple of centre mids. Maybe Edwards, lee and Djoum out and one or two Marquee signings in?