***OFFICIAL SUMMER TRANSFER THREAD***

Absolute Scenes

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Correct call. As mentioned last week 30 players plus is too much logistically even for training. 

Good to get him and Lee fresh moves when they are going to be very much on the periphery. 

Glad to see Craig tidying up the squad 

• Replies 12.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Beast Boy

• Cruyff Turn

• Bazzas right boot

It was obvious last year we needed a freshness in centre midfield. We seemed to lack an energy and composure in there. After Lee and Edwards leave we only have Haring from last season really who actually played consistently there before his injury. 

Assuming we sign a quality central midfield player then I think we are covered in there. We have Irving who has impressed who will feel like a new signing and also Clare who will be playing in his favourite position who will hopefully add a goal threat from there. 

We also have Bozanic who can do a job and seems like he will be happy to fight for a place (you need these kind of players as we cannot have 22 players all on big wages expecting to play every week) cochrane who is obviously talented and will get much more game time this season for his development. 

We we also have walker and Naismith who can play there when we play a 3 which I think we will at times this season. 

That is 5 (7 if you include walker and Naismith) options not including another top quality centre mid. Very intrigued as to who we are looking at as we certainly don’t need another ‘number’ in there, it needs to be someone who will improve our first 11

Mr Elwood P
1 minute ago, Sir Gio said:

Correct call. As mentioned last week 30 players plus is too much logistically even for training. 

Good to get him and Lee fresh moves when they are going to be very much on the periphery. 

Glad to see Craig tidying up the squad 

Only reduces the squad size if we don’t bring it in replacements. Very doubtful that  we're done.  

Geoff Kilpatrick
27 minutes ago, bistokid said:

Correct decision.

This.

I don't mind Edwards but he's a back up player at best.

I'm be tempted to put soutter in the holding midfield role. Leave claire Walker and mulraney to attack. Hallket and Berra centre half. No need to panic 

Mad to think how limited his chances where considering Levein will bend over backwards to accommodate Wighton. Great news for the likes of zanatta and MacDonald tho. 

If there’s a view to bringing in a couple of quality signings and at the same time streamline the squad, there may be another exit or two yet.

Just a guess.  

Trying hard should be a pre-requisite, not your main attribute.

Shame it didn't work out for RE but its best that all parties move on.

Thanks for helping us dream, albeit briefly in the cup final!

36 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Makes you wonder why CL signed him and Lee in the first place.

You're not allowed to say that. Better you delete your post quick before the wolves get you!!

:tlj:

The Old Tolbooth

Form what I've heard, Naisy is deffo signing, and Levein is looking at now bringing in 2 other midfielders, I've no idea of the identity of those players though. 

Just now, The Old Tolbooth said:

Form what I've heard, Naisy is deffo signing, and Levein is looking at now bringing in 2 other midfielders, I've no idea of the identity of those players though. 

:rofl: 

Thanks for the new ITK info! 

Nookie Bear
38 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

I'm starting to think Levein is somehow getting a % of agent fees.

Ooh... The Pack dogs will be all over that comment. 

I dont one think it’s true, but it is another example of a rather odd selection/transfer policy. 

2 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Wow, is that straight off the press??

13 minutes ago, Jambogav said:

I'm be tempted to put soutter in the holding midfield role.

An absolutely terrible idea.

36 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

limited player but made a big difference due to his energy

if we've got better then great if we end up with a lethargic plodding midfield again then criticism well due

(apart from the sycophants who will defend the plodders for 9 months then later admit it was dire in the past tense)

well done Ryan all the best

Bang on with this

48 minutes ago, AndyNic said:

Definitely doesn't mean more midfielders coming in. It'll simply be much more game time for Irving, Cochrane etc.

Agree and tbh I'm quite happy about that think they deserve it based on quality. Just need to up their stamina ans we could have a very promising midfield 

Phil Dunphy

Should we just play a centre half in the holding midfield role every week, aye?

No idea where the desperation for a centre half playing in midfield comes from. 

Strange signing to begin with.

Almost made himself a legend but the referee had other ideas with the penalty.

He never looked good enough and i doubt we'll miss him.

2 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Ooh... The Pack dogs will be all over that comment. 

I dont one think it’s true, but it is another example of a rather odd selection/transfer policy. 

I’m beginning to think we sign players using a piñata. 

Phil Dunphy

Filling our midfield with youth without any proper experience beside them would a dreadful idea. 

I expect we’ll bring in another midfielder before the window closes. 

41 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

Absolutely baffling. 

His Hearts career doesn’t make any sense. 

The biggest surprise was that we signed him.  Can’t fault his effort, but he has very limited ability and is simply not good enough if we are wanting to be a top three club.

Good news about Edwards.

He was going to be a bit part player at best and this is what we don’t need......we need a squad of players who are either first team starters beefed up with our best youth players.

We are trying to move more on imo and clearing the decks for a step up in player quality in that area of the pitch.

If it wasn't for Austin's contacts, the scouting would be horrendous.

The scouting team need sacked tbh.

Cruyff Turn

I’m a bit disappointed for Ryan, never really got a fair crack at it.

All the best to him though and I hope he does well. 

Absolute Scenes
14 minutes ago, Jambogav said:

I'm be tempted to put soutter in the holding midfield role. Leave claire Walker and mulraney to attack. Hallket and Berra centre half. No need to panic 

reason Souttar flopped at Dunne UTD was because they didn't play him in his best position - he hated playing in midfield

6 minutes ago, Darren said:

An absolutely terrible idea.

Terrible idea putting someone who can tackle and pass the ball in the holding midfield role 🤔🤔🤔

Absolute Scenes
1 minute ago, Jambogav said:

Terrible idea putting someone who can tackle and pass the ball in the holding midfield role 🤔🤔🤔

Is that all that's needed for a holding midfielder?? Its a terrible idea

Walter Bishop

Yeah, terrible idea puting someone in a position they don't want to play in. 

He's probably our best defender now and our major asset at the club. 

Think it would be best to leave him where he is. 

David McCaig
Just now, Gene Parmesan said:

Pleasing we're getting more dross out the door. 

Other than Bozanic, We are pretty much deadwood free now.  I just hope the combined wages of Djoum, Lee, Edwards and Martin can be used to bring in one midfielder of real quality.

The right call 

Edwards is a decent guy and wasnt given a decent chance at Hearts 

Wish him all the best 

Captain Canada

I liked Edwards and don't think he really got much of a chance. I'd have preferred Bozanic to leave as he offers very little in an attacking or defensive sense. 

Absolute Scenes
5 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

Other than Bozanic, We are pretty much deadwood free now.  I just hope the combined wages of Djoum, Lee, Edwards and Martin can be used to bring in one midfielder of real quality.

Unfair on Bozanic

Actually think he's a good footballer and quick agile player, who for his size, is good in the air. Certainly quicker than Lee (which isn't difficult) so I wouldn't be looking to chuck him yet

Agree on the incoming player though, combined wages for someone outstanding

Edited by Absolute Scenes

4 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

McLean and Wighton are still here.

46 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

No, head of football operations has spoken actually 👍 

Could you give me such a quote, please.

14 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

If we need to play a big holding midfielder then Halkett is the man until we are at full strength.

Correct.

Personal preference, but I would rather we signed a younger player than adding to someone like Charlie Adam's pension pot. I can't think of too many younger midfield prospects within our price range playing within the SPFL, but a Lewis Ferguson type, who Aberdeen picked up from Hamilton for a small six figure fee would be ideal.

55 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

Aye because Burton are complete mugs right enough :lol: 

You come across as a right bloody know-all.

8 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Unfair on Bozanic

Actually think he's a good footballer and quick agile player, who for his size, is good in the air. Certainly quicker than Lee (which isn't difficult) so I wouldn't be looking to chuck him yet

Agree on the incoming player though, combined wages for someone outstanding

Always gives 100% too.

I like Bozanic and think he could be really good with a decent run in a settled team.

20 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

reason Souttar flopped at Dunne UTD was because they didn't play him in his best position - he hated playing in midfield

This plus the fact that he's now an established International centre back makes this a non-starter for me. 

YouLetYourClubDie
39 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Definitely don’t need a winger. A couple of the exciting young players are wingers, we also have Walker and Mulraney. Agree that we need a couple of centre mids. Maybe Edwards, lee and Djoum out and one or two Marquee signings in?

On the winger front it depends how much Levein rates McDonald and Zanatta. Hopefully they have both really impressed in training. I think a deep lying player in the Haring mould would be one as well as someone who is more box to box.

Robbo-Jambo
36 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Need a couple midfielders coming in now. 

Are you sure about Naismith 🙄🙄