• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Beast Boy

• Cruyff Turn

• Bazzas right boot

Mr Elwood P
1 hour ago, Gershwin said:

This part of your quote pretty much describes what happened when he came back from injury in February.

He didn't adapt well to how he was being played and ended up being pretty useless in most games.

I do wish our coaches would work more on his passing/awareness as he pretty much always plays with his head down.

He scored the winner against Aberdeen, opening goal in the Scottish Cup semi final and the equaliser at Easter Road post injury. The lad has loads to offer and can improve. With Walker and Naismith buzzing around him we could be very dangerous going forward.

7 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

He scored the winner against Aberdeen, opening goal in the Scottish Cup semi final and the equaliser at Easter Road post injury. The lad has loads to offer and can improve. With Walker and Naismith buzzing around him we could be very dangerous going forward.

Definitely. Can’t believe people don’t see what he brings to the team/squad.

2 hours ago, Prof said:

Nobody doubts his attitude, work ethic and enthusiasm, it’s his inability to see the obvious that’s the problem. He is great at running into defenders but hopeless at looking up, being aware of his team mates and making a decent pass. When he does score his immediate reaction is to run towards CL and the coaching team for their adulation while ignoring his team mates. He’s not a team player. The reality is if he was any good he would have been signed up by one of the bigger English clubs instead he was signed by CL. Hence the CL adulation.

I think that might apply to many of the other players in the SPL and all divisions below the English Premiership.

Edited by JamboAl

4forDevries

Hmmmm.....I remember when we signed Paul Hartley.....look what WE did for him.  He wasn't regarded as any good at all when signed. Ok, we moved him to CM and that helped. Fuller, DeVries, Bednar, Zal, Velicka etc etc....we can and do uncover some gems. Well aware we have signed duds too, that's the market chance most of Scotland operate within. Horses for courses and definitely a place for Uche. But for those too young to have seen Robbo then the prodical son is about to be uncovered. His name is Aiden Keena.

4forDevries

Oh....and what value do you put on an unheard of Austrian called Haring ?.  I'm just saying that we have done and continue to uncover the odd gem. 

1 hour ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Definitely. Can’t believe people don’t see what he brings to the team/squad.

I’m pretty surprised but at least the criticism has been argued rather than the usual “he’s shite gtf”.

He’s raw and has lots to work on but causes all sorts of problems; clearly teams don’t like playing against him. Washington looks to be smarter with his movement and positioning and I’d expect him to start against the better teams. However Uche now has another player to learn from and he can get better. 

Do people think Uche is an X factor type of player?  A marquee type.

If I was queuing up at Tynecastle, Uche would be the guy I would be most looking forward to seeing.

Bit like Zeefuik. Something out of the ordinary.

Brighton Jambo
4 hours ago, Prof said:

Nobody doubts his attitude, work ethic and enthusiasm, it’s his inability to see the obvious that’s the problem. He is great at running into defenders but hopeless at looking up, being aware of his team mates and making a decent pass. When he does score his immediate reaction is to run towards CL and the coaching team for their adulation while ignoring his team mates. He’s not a team player. The reality is if he was any good he would have been signed up by one of the bigger English clubs instead he was signed by CL. Hence the CL adulation.

The game against Dundee United, by everyone’s standards he was substandard and yet the sublime through ball he played for walker, in behind the defender, shows he has a lot more quality than he gets credit for. Walker scores and we win we would be raving about that assist. 

Pasquale for King
5 hours ago, rory78 said:

I was working at the stadium last season and watched Livvy train for a while and i can honestly say Menga was one of the worst footballers I've ever seen - his lack of awareness and how to follow instructions made me wonder how he had started so well in Scotland (was just after he scored winner v Rangers) another thing that struck me was that the assistant Martindale did all the bawling and shouting Gary Holt was more relaxed 

He apparently is the brains behind the operation, doesn’t have the coaching badges I think.

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, 4forDevries said:

Hmmmm.....I remember when we signed Paul Hartley.....look what WE did for him.  He wasn't regarded as any good at all when signed. Ok, we moved him to CM and that helped. Fuller, DeVries, Bednar, Zal, Velicka etc etc....we can and do uncover some gems. Well aware we have signed duds too, that's the market chance most of Scotland operate within. Horses for courses and definitely a place for Uche. But for those too young to have seen Robbo then the prodical son is about to be uncovered. His name is Aiden Keena.

Billy Stark moved him to CM, Hartley credits him with helping his career when it was in free fall. Probably more duds than gems.

merseyjambo

Let’s clear a few things up with what I’d said about Naismith. He fitted in well with the system Moyes had. He worked hard and a lot of fans loved him for that. He was however marmite with the Everton fans that I know. My in-laws who have been ST holders at Goodison since the days of Latchford and King couldn’t stand him because he was all energy and very little product at the end of it. They got he should have scored more. My wife’s lad on the other hand loved him because of the energy he put in. The blue noses that I work with had mixed opinions on him about his time at Goodison. I’ve seen him at Goodison a few times and always thought he had a decent game. Scoring record of about 1 in 6 in England is decent. 

Going back to Cummings, he s exactly the type of player we don’t have. A penalty box predator. He’s also good at moaning at referees.

Uche does his best work for the team outside the box. From what I’ve seen of Washington, he like to do a lot of work outside the box. Keena seems to want to link up outside the box and drop short to get a ball. What we seem to lack is someone that we’ve really not had since Robbo or Crabbe, a striker who could make space for themselves 6-10 yards out in the box and knock it into the net and get 15-20 goals a season for us. Naismith will, if fully fit for a season get us somewhere near 15, Uche about 10 again if fully fit. Cummings in the right team playing off guys like Uche or Washington could be the difference between 5th and 3rd. 

I don’t think we should look at what he did in his time with Rangers or down south as a barometer to what sort of player he is. He was taken to Rangers by the bread man half way through the season. Bread man gets sacked and is left with Murty then Murty gets boot and is left with someone else in charge. Coming in half way through the season also brings issues with regards match fitness and trying to get up to speed. We had the same issues last year with Vanacek.

Some people losing it over us not signing Shankland, yet would turn their nose up at someone with a far superior scoring record at that level. Can’t make it up

Edited by merseyjambo

Nookie Bear

Uche can be one of the most exciting players we have had in years and can also look like one of the worst. Sometimes in the space of one move. 

I would like to see him played as a wide attacker as he can cause problems out there and I don’t see him as being disciplined enough to be the “number 9”. 

hmfc_liam06

When he is bad he is proper bad.

When he is great he is unplayable.

But then that's what you get when you sign guys from Cambridge level clubs.

The Apprentice

I doubt there’s many players who can single-handedly drag a team up the park like Uche does. The prime example being the home game against Celtic where Brandon was sent off early. That had the potential to turn into a long night but he was immense, holding the ball up, driving up the pitch and chasing lost causes.

I totally get the opinions regarding his general awareness and perhaps greed on the ball because there’s times when he tries to do too much himself instead of laying the ball off, but for me there’s definitely a lot to like with him. 

When judging our players in particular I always think, “Would it bother me if they were playing for the opposition?” And Uche is one of those players where I am delighted he’s with us instead of against us. You can also guarantee  that there’s not many other Teams who look forward to playing against him.

Edited by The Apprentice

Still nothing 🤷‍♂️

You can only hope that we are working on a marquee signing for midfield 

One that's gonna surprise us all 😳 

BackOfTheNet

This forum astonishes me, it really does. Not only do we have a transfer thread 151 pages long with actual transfer chat being about a page worth, we have people in all seriousness claiming we should have Cummings - not only that - but Cummings ahead of Uche Ikpeazu.

The argument apparently being that Cummings is more of a finisher so therefore will score more goals than Uche. Nonsense, their only comparative stats would be when from their respective times in the Scottish Premiership. Cummings at Rangers scored 2 in 15 (13.3% of his games had a goal), whereas Uche scored 3 in 17 (17.6%). Add to that Cummings played in a side where a so called ‘penalty box striker’ would’ve been afforded more chances then all people are believing is a myth.

However the most outrageous thing I’m seeing is the criticism labelled at Uche. A free transfer from a League 2 side in England should not come with high expectations, and he exceeded any expectations anyone had. Yet he’s either a victim of his own performances or a lot of you have gone mad. To not see the space he creates when defenders double and triple up on him, his ability to hold the call and keep things up the park as well as his actual skill and scoring ability (raw, but undeniably there).

Genuinely not sure what it is with some of you. Do you look at Cummings and see someone like yourself, does he remind you of your mates you go to the pub with, is his ‘bantz’ similar to your sons and nephews you make excuses for because ‘their good kids really’? Personally I don’t see anything in Cummings other than a Scottish Championship level player with screw loose and the IQ of a gnat. I’d rather put energy into those in our own squad (Keena, Wighton, Henderson) and develop them than to bring in Cummings for an extra wage who is no better than Uche or Washington. That being said, if he signs and I’ll cheer him on as he’ll be playing in maroon, but for me we should be looking elsewhere (position wise, as well as personnel wise) as a far higher standard of quality is what would be required for any new signing.

Selkirkhmfc1874
41 minutes ago, kimosavi said:

Still nothing 🤷‍♂️

You can only hope that we are working on a marquee signing for midfield 

One that's gonna surprise us all 😳 

Marquee signing as you describe it will be steven naismith on a permanent transfer and would imagine he'll be our highest paid player 

TyphoonJambo
29 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

This forum astonishes me, it really does. Not only do we have a transfer thread 151 pages long with actual transfer chat being about a page worth, we have people in all seriousness claiming we should have Cummings - not only that - but Cummings ahead of Uche Ikpeazu.

The argument apparently being that Cummings is more of a finisher so therefore will score more goals than Uche. Nonsense, their only comparative stats would be when from their respective times in the Scottish Premiership. Cummings at Rangers scored 2 in 15 (13.3% of his games had a goal), whereas Uche scored 3 in 17 (17.6%). Add to that Cummings played in a side where a so called ‘penalty box striker’ would’ve been afforded more chances then all people are believing is a myth.

However the most outrageous thing I’m seeing is the criticism labelled at Uche. A free transfer from a League 2 side in England should not come with high expectations, and he exceeded any expectations anyone had. Yet he’s either a victim of his own performances or a lot of you have gone mad. To not see the space he creates when defenders double and triple up on him, his ability to hold the call and keep things up the park as well as his actual skill and scoring ability (raw, but undeniably there).

Genuinely not sure what it is with some of you. Do you look at Cummings and see someone like yourself, does he remind you of your mates you go to the pub with, is his ‘bantz’ similar to your sons and nephews you make excuses for because ‘their good kids really’? Personally I don’t see anything in Cummings other than a Scottish Championship level player with screw loose and the IQ of a gnat. I’d rather put energy into those in our own squad (Keena, Wighton, Henderson) and develop them than to bring in Cummings for an extra wage who is no better than Uche or Washington. That being said, if he signs and I’ll cheer him on as he’ll be playing in maroon, but for me we should be looking elsewhere (position wise, as well as personnel wise) as a far higher standard of quality is what would be required for any new signing.

151 pages and now sense breaks out. Good post. 

Uche is a player with attributes, but like any relatively young player has weaknesses in his game. Mainly around his decision making and passing. But if was the complete player he would not be at us, he would be at a higher level of his physical attributes were coupled with goal scoring. 

Cummings not buying he would be a great signing in terms of attitude, desire to work hard and improve and screw the nut off the park. Everyday of the week I'm having an uche over Cummings

Mr Elwood P
1 hour ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Uche also played the rest of the game at Motherwell and then the game at Ibrox with a broken foot. Not sure those two games can be taken into account when looking at his stats. Big game player for us: assist for Lafferty against Celtic, winner against Aberdeen, opening goal in the Scottish Cup semi and a late equaliser at Easter Road. He nearly snatched a late winner with that bicycle kick at Easter Road as well. Definitely a great player to have in the squad and he will work incredibly well with the guile and creativity provided by Walker, Naismith and hopefully Washington.

1 hour ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Hope you feel better now. 

Alex Kintner
8 hours ago, 4forDevries said:

Hmmmm.....I remember when we signed Paul Hartley.....look what WE did for him.  He wasn't regarded as any good at all when signed. 

Apart from being player of the year in the First division.

BackOfTheNet
15 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Uche also played the rest of the game at Motherwell and then the game at Ibrox with a broken foot. Not sure those two games can be taken into account when looking at his stats. Big game player for us: assist for Lafferty against Celtic, winner against Aberdeen, opening goal in the Scottish Cup semi and a late equaliser at Easter Road. He nearly snatched a late winner with that bicycle kick at Easter Road as well. Definitely a great player to have in the squad and he will work incredibly well with the guile and creativity provided by Walker, Naismith and hopefully Washington.

Broke his foot while effectively assisting Naismith in the process. It’s a little like the Lafferty discussions from the past, people see a striker that can score almost 20 goals but don’t care he had zero assists. Forwards, particularly with formations these days, have to do a hell of a lot more than score goals. Goals have to come from various positions, and Uche has many, many attributes that can enable possibilities for those other positions. A hugely valuable asset.

32 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Apart from being player of the year in the First division.

What season was that like?

01/02 Owen Coyle of Airdrie

02/03 Wyness of Inverness.

03/04 Ian Harty of Clyde

Alex Kintner
5 minutes ago, jambogemz said:

03/04 Ian Harty of Clyde

My mistake, he didn’t win it. He was one of the four nominees in 02/03 when Wyness won it. 👍🏻

9 minutes ago, jambogemz said:

03/04 Ian Harty of Clyde

Nominated in 2003.

2 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

A good balanced summary!

2 hours ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Marquee signing as you describe it will be steven naismith on a permanent transfer and would imagine he'll be our highest paid player 

Na i think there will be another one along with Naismith. Just a hunch 

3 minutes ago, kimosavi said:

Na i think there will be another one along with Naismith. Just a hunch 

I agree 

David Bates (ex-ranger) now Hamburg being discussed as a possible on pussbook. 

No idea if true. Dont shoot the messenger!

Bunny Munro

I think Bates is decent but he should only be discussed if Souttar is moving on. We're fine for CB for now.

Bates would be the 4th (maybe 5th behind Clevid) best CB at the club. Not good enough and not needed. 

18 minutes ago, Homme said:

Bates would be the 4th (maybe 5th behind Clevid) best CB at the club. Not good enough and not needed. 

No offence mate but that's shite, the boy was playing regularly for Hamburg last season and looked decent in his games for Scotland.

17 minutes ago, andrew said:

No offence mate but that's shite, the boy was playing regularly for Hamburg last season and looked decent in his games for Scotland.

Playing so well Hamburg decided not to keep him on. He didn't do well for them. 

His next club will be a smaller club than us, that's for sure. 

davemclaren
19 minutes ago, Homme said:

Playing so well Hamburg decided not to keep him on. He didn't do well for them. 

His next club will be a smaller club than us, that's for sure. 

I think Hamburg got promoted back to the erste bundesliga so will be having a significant rebuild for the coming season. 

11 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I think Hamburg got promoted back to the erste bundesliga so will be having a significant rebuild for the coming season. 

They didn't. Finished 4th, so didn't even get into the playoff.

davemclaren
Just now, Martin_T said:

They didn't. Finished 4th, so didn't even get into the playoff.

Ah, well that’s another reason for a significant rebuild. My bad! 😄

2 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Ah, well that’s another reason for a significant rebuild. My bad! 😄

I've often wondered how they've managed to be so spectacularly bad, for so long. They have a huge fan base, a great stadium, but they have been getting progressively worse on the pitch for most of the last decade.

davemclaren
5 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

I've often wondered how they've managed to be so spectacularly bad, for so long. They have a huge fan base, a great stadium, but they have been getting progressively worse on the pitch for most of the last decade.

Indeed. Hopefully their support is more tolerant than ours. 😄 They get their derby with Hannover 96 back in the coming season though. 🙄