Naismith - aims for return against Rangers ( updated )

Bauld

Geoff the Mince
2 hours ago, dazajmbo said:

Signed & Sealed. Photo of scarf above soon to be delivered.

"I'm yours"

?

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Robbo-Jambo

• Inch Hearts

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Morgan

2 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Player says nice things about manager shocker!

Anyway, this is a great signing.

A manager he had no need to sign for.

Edited by Jammy T

2 hours ago, Inch Hearts said:

I don’t think many people think Levein is a dick - he’s just not a good manager any longer.  He will introduce a pathway to management or coaching for SN too which will be highly beneficial for him in the future. 

So would any other club in Scotland that wanted him and that he asked that question of.

Dont you get the point?

tokyowalnut
Just now, Jammy T said:

A manager they had no need to sign for.

The desperation to play down CL's influence on this is silly, but not surprising. 

If SN didn't see any positivity at the club he wouldn't sign. Can't see him being short of offers.

Anyway, great signing, delighted with this. Let's not turn a positive thread into another CL bashing thread!

2 hours ago, Jodami said:

Why are you so angry Jammy, you've seen how poor the team is when Naismith isn't playing, people are entitled to express an opinion on that. It's great he's signed but it's obvious that a lot more needs addressed. We should be able to put away bottom 6 team's at Tynecastle 9 times out of 10 without Naismith in the team. That means improvement and a change in the way we play before next season. Futures should not be planned around a guy who is 33 in September, Naismith should be the icing on the cake not the whole cake itself. 

Thinking that a lot of Hearts fans are arseholes doesn’t make me angry mate; just factually accurate.

Of course now we are getting the “well Naismith is mediocre and past it anyway; he’s not worth it and not great a signing” chat from some.

What a load of dimwits we have in our “family”

Armageddon

Craig Levein - thank you for bringing us Steven Naismith.  Easily my favourite Hearts player since the likes of Rudi and Hartley.

58 minutes ago, Jodami said:

I am in no way ITK about things at the club Al so I don't know. I do know that in the last transfer window we brought in a pre contract player we had trumpeted who will probably never play for us again and a very ordinary loanee centre half who I hope never plays for us again. It's not exactly driving value from your resources is it?

So, if you're not in the know how do you conclude that we have a decent budget?

9 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

Thinking that a lot of Hearts fans are arseholes doesn’t make me angry mate; just factually accurate.

Ah the old Black Knight approach, fair enough mate. The Black Knight always triumphs! 

Byyy The Light
57 minutes ago, Jodami said:

I am in no way ITK about things at the club Al so I don't know. I do know that in the last transfer window we brought in a pre contract player we had trumpeted who will probably never play for us again and a very ordinary loanee centre half who I hope never plays for us again. It's not exactly driving value from your resources is it?

Do you realise how bloody difficult it is to operate at our level in the transfer market??  It’s not like going in to a car show room and picking what you fancy with a blank chequebook.

It’s more like pitching up at the scrappies and trying to piece together something resembling a car that will do the business. With 300 other people in there trying to do the same thing at the same time.

This is a tremendous piece of business by Levein and the club. A top top signing.

It should have been ten
3 hours ago, Hercules said:

Gary Mackay couldn’t lace Leveins boots. That’s not up for debate. Record appearances in a Hearts Jersey makes him a club legend. Also, if he had a sore tummy in ‘86 I’m sure he would’ve played through it. 

Started your post off so well in your first sentence. No one said Mackay isn’t a Hearts legend, you said Levein wasn’t up there in legendary status with him. 

Your last sentence? Aye ok then Mystic Meg ? 

Edited by It should have been ten

1 minute ago, JamboAl said:

So, if you're not in the know how do you conclude that we have a decent budget?

Because we are able to sign Steven Naismith. I think that's where we came in...

7 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

Do you realise how bloody difficult it is to operate at our level in the transfer market??  It’s not like going in to a car show room and picking what you fancy with a blank chequebook.

It’s more like pitching up at the scrappies and trying to piece together something resembling a car that will do the business. With 300 other people in there trying to do the same thing at the same time.

This is a tremendous piece of business by Levein and the club. A top top signing.

Yes I think you'll find I said he was a good signing. My original point on this thread was other aspects of the team had to be addressed and that we shouldn't rely on Naismith in the same way we have this season. Naismith should be looked after and played in bigger games but we should be able to put bottom 6 teams away at home irrespective of whether he is playing. 

I think your point on recruitment is also valid so that means you have to make up for that through coaching and organisation. We're not doing that just now. 

Edited by Jodami

2 minutes ago, It should have been ten said:

Started your post of so well in your first sentence. No one said Mackay isn’t a Hearts legend, you said Levein wasn’t up there in legendary status with him. 

Your last sentence? Aye ok then Mystic Meg ??♀️

Some of the greatest players who have won world cups and many club trophies have been useless as managers.

Levein was a lucky man getting back into football after his SCOTLAND NIGHTMARE. For a man who said when he 

got the DOF job he never wanted to be Hearts manager he is trying to stick to the job like glue.

Absolute Scenes
1 hour ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Here's an interesting question. If we won the 2019 Scottish Cup, how would this season rank compared to Neilson's two in charge? 14/15 Scottish Championship (record) winners and 3rd place in the Scottish Premiership 2015/16 season?

Any season silverware is won is a successful season, despite how the overall football was - facts

2 hours ago, Jodami said:

Other players have come back and made very little difference, Naismith playing results in a difference of more than 1.3 points gained per game, a 200% increase on our points when he doesn't play. He's our top scorer and player of the year despite missing more than half the season. If you don't accept we are reliant on Naismith this season then you've not been watching us. 

This is so correct. It was obvious during our good run that Naismith was the most important player in the side. Our record when he’s not been there underscores that. The most vital thing for forward planning was to secure his signature. Next on the list is to make sure we can win regularly if and when he’s missing, since it’s more than likely he’ll be injured at some point next season. If CL ignores that priority he’s simply not doing his job properly.

Enzo Chiefo
1 hour ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Here's an interesting question. If we won the 2019 Scottish Cup, how would this season rank compared to Neilson's two in charge? 14/15 Scottish Championship (record) winners and 3rd place in the Scottish Premiership 2015/16 season?

Good question.  Hard to compare tbh because Neilson's were in the Championship and then a Premiership without Rangera and Hibs. But they were still great achievements.  Winning the Scottish Cup would (or will...hopefully) be a great achievement because we'll have beaten a Celtic side in a final at Hampden. That doesn't make it a great season though. Finishing 6th is poor. Traditionally, since my firat game in 1977,  the Scottish Cup finals we reach have coincided with great league performances and genuine title challenges - 85/86, 97/98 and 05/06. So, all great seasons. The exception being 11/12 when players weren't being paid , no signings could be made etc and we finished a lowly 5th. But I don't need to explain to anyone the achievement that lifting the Scottish Cup was that year. Conversely, my favourite season of all time, along with 97/98 was 1985/86 as following us home and away every single week was unbelievable. It was a great season but ended without silverware and was a hugely disappointing first week in May. Complicated answer to a good question Mr EP.

Byyy The Light
4 minutes ago, Jodami said:

Yes I think you'll find I said he was a good signing. My original point on this thread was other aspects of the team had to be addressed and that we shouldn't rely on Naismith in the same way we have this season. Naismith should be looked after and played in bigger games but we should be able to put bottom 6 teams away at home irrespective of whether he is playing. 

I think your point on recruitment is also valid so that means you have to make up for that through coaching and organisation. We're not doing that just now. 

Completely agree on the coaching point. I think we’ve got a good squad of players who if coached and set up better could be a good side. Or certainly a better side.

I’m just fed up with fans constantly whining about recruitment. At our level it’s a lottery.

I disagree that we should just be brushing aside bottom 6 sides regardless of who’s playing. Naismith is the type of player that gives us a better chance of doing exactly that. Our second string isn’t going to have the quality to do so. Nobody’s outside of Celtic is.

4 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

Completely agree on the coaching point. I think we’ve got a good squad of players who if coached and set up better could be a good side. Or certainly a better side.

I’m just fed up with fans constantly whining about recruitment. At our level it’s a lottery.

I disagree that we should just be brushing aside bottom 6 sides regardless of who’s playing. Naismith is the type of player that gives us a better chance of doing exactly that. Our second string isn’t going to have the quality to do so. Nobody’s outside of Celtic is.

I think we need to aim to play at Tynecastle in a way that overwhelms teams in the first 20 mins and I include the Old Firm when I say that. Quick transition through midfield, pin teams back. Get the pitch watered before the game and play in a way that uses it to our advantage. That does require a lot of work at Riccarton but it's the only way we make Tynecastle a fortress again. Teams are prepared for what we are going to do atm and we are far too slow and deliberate with the ball. 

20 minutes ago, Jodami said:

Because we are able to sign Steven Naismith. I think that's where we came in...

That's not where we came in.  Where are we getting the money to address the other parts of the team APART FROM NAISMITH (since you said we should not have to rely on one man)?  From our decent Budget (the amount of which you are not ITK)?

Mr Elwood P
23 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Any season silverware is won is a successful season, despite how the overall football was - facts

Yes, but is winning the Championship against Hibs and Rangers but being launched out all the cup competitions early doors better or worse than finishing 6th but winning the Scottish Cup and making the League Cup semi?

Edited by Mr Elwood P

Just now, JamboAl said:

That's not where we came in.  Where are we getting the money to address the other parts of the team APART FROM NAISMITH (since you said we should not have to rely on one man)?  From our decent Budget (the amount of which you are not ITK)?

I take it you agree it would be insane to put all your eggs in the Steven Naismith basket if there was no other money for anyone else. We are the third best supported team in the country, we have reached a semi final and a cup final. We do not have any significant  mortgage type debt on stands unlike Hibs for example. We are run extremely professionally. I think factoring all of that in its safe to say we will have a decent budget compared to all but 2 of our rivals without being privvy to the actual amount available. Or would you disagree with that? 

4 minutes ago, Jodami said:

I think we need to aim to play at Tynecastle in a way that overwhelms teams in the first 20 mins and I include the Old Firm when I say that. Quick transition through midfield, pin teams back. Get the pitch watered before the game and play in a way that uses it to our advantage. That does require a lot of work at Riccarton but it's the only way we make Tynecastle a fortress again. Teams are prepared for what we are going to do atm and we are far too slow and deliberate with the ball. 

I think you're right but to do that you need to have the players with that capability and to acquire them you must have a decent budget (?) and avoid multiple injuries to key players at the same time.

3 minutes ago, Jodami said:

I take it you agree it would be insane to put all your eggs in the Steven Naismith basket if there was no other money for anyone else. We are the third best supported team in the country, we have reached a semi final and a cup final. We do not have any significant  mortgage type debt on stands unlike Hibs for example. We are run extremely professionally. I think factoring all of that in its safe to say we will have a decent budget compared to all but 2 of our rivals without being privvy to the actual amount available. Or would you disagree with that? 

But who says we are putting our eggs in one basket, apart from you?

For a start, we have already signed Halkett and CL has said he is hoping to sign 3 or 4 players with an upgrade in quality.

The rest of your post I am afraid is based on wild financial assumptions

Will be a very good signing BUT we must have a plan B in place next year for if he is injured. We've generally been dire without him.

Byyy The Light
11 minutes ago, Jodami said:

Don’t disagree with any of that. It’s one thing that Naismith will do is play a first time pass or ghost past a player to commit a defender and create space.

Everyone else takes 3 touches and only option is to play a safe pass backwards to keep possession. 

Anyway back on topic. We need to keep Naismith fit and playing regularly next season. Hopefully his signing will give the whole squad a lift for the cup final!

Lord Beni of Gorgie
5 minutes ago, Cygnet said:

Where is the confirmation that this is signed, sealed and delivered?

Hibs.net

2 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

For a start, we have already signed Halkett and CL has said he is hoping to sign 3 or 4 players with an upgrade in quality.

The bare facts of how many points we have won when he is in the team show all our eggs have been in the one basket. There is little point in bringing in players of quality if you don't have decent coaches to organise them. Do you trust our manager to recognise a player of quality after some of the sub standard no marks that we have wasted money on? 

As for your wild financial assumptions, I have no words... 

9 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

He's only one player but the trouble was/is... Levein has no plan B.

5 minutes ago, Jodami said:

The bare facts of how many points we have won when he is in the team show all our eggs have been in the one basket. There is little point in bringing in players of quality if you don't have decent coaches to organise them. Do you trust our manager to recognise a player of quality after some of the sub standard no marks that we have wasted money on? 

As for your wild financial assumptions, I have no words... 

The bare facts are that we had several key players injured not just Naismith and we were top of the league before we started to feel the cumulative effect.

The bit highlighted is the root of your problem and yes we have made some poor signings but also some good ones, as most clubs do.  It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if these injuries had not struck when they did.

You are quite right not to have words about the wild financial assumptions as they will remain so while you, or I, are unaware of our financial position as well as those of other clubs.

Absolute Scenes
36 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Yes, but is winning the Championship against Hibs and Rangers but being launched out all the cup competitions early doors better or worse than finishing 6th but winning the Scottish Cup and making the League Cup semi?

its a difficult one...

just look at 2012, league form was poor, still managed derby wins and wins against Celtic (similar to this season)

A cup parade, a night to remember, greeting my eyes out at how proud I am of my team....i'll take the Scottish cup thank you!

It should have been ten
1 hour ago, mitch41 said:

Some of the greatest players who have won world cups and many club trophies have been useless as managers.

Levein was a lucky man getting back into football after his SCOTLAND NIGHTMARE. For a man who said when he 

got the DOF job he never wanted to be Hearts manager he is trying to stick to the job like glue.

:random:

Whats that got to with me disagreeing with a poster who thinks Craig Levein isn’t up there in legendary status with Robbo and Gary Mackay? 

Edited by It should have been ten

22 minutes ago, Section Q said:

He's only one player but the trouble was/is... Levein has no plan B.

I am intrigued by this Plan B especially when you lose who is probably your most influential player.

Can you give me some idea of what your Plan B would have been or what you think CL's should have been?   (In this connection, I am sure you will be aware CL did not have a crystal ball to tell him which players were going to be injured and for how long)

1 hour ago, Jodami said:

Couldn’t agree more, Tynecastle can either be a huge advantage if we start fast and get crowd on side or can be hard if we get to 60mins and not broken teams down. My  recollection of the Burley team is we played exactly that way and were often a couple up in first 20/30 mins !!

It should have been ten
27 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I am intrigued by this Plan B especially when you lose who is probably your most influential player.

Can you give me some idea of what your Plan B would have been or what you think CL's should have been?   (In this connection, I am sure you will be aware CL did not have a crystal ball to tell him which players were going to be injured and for how long)

Correct 

38 minutes ago, It should have been ten said:

:random:

Whats that got to with me disagreeing with a poster who thinks Craig Levein isn’t up there in legendary status with Robbo and Gary Mackay? 

Nothing at all I was just in a different place.

8 minutes ago, It should have been ten said:

Correct 

It's not a plan B. It's a plan A that isn't solely reliant on a 32 year old.

Just now, bistokid said:

It's not a plan B. It's a plan A that isn't solely reliant on a 32 year old.

And that plan is?

Enzo Chiefo
45 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Are you for real Al? Perhaps the manager and his various band of clip board carrying, ear plug wearing coaches could devote some time at Riccarton to teaching some of our other midfielders to pass and move, to pass between the lines, to encourage our wingers to hit the byeline rather than cut inside. But hey, I'm not paid a shed load of money to come up with ideas like that. He shouldn't need a crystal ball to know that by signing players like Uche, who has had several ops over the last few years, Aidy White and Naismith, that there is a chance they will be injured at some point . Failing that, he could phone one of the other managers in the top 6 and ask how they all coped with losing several key players through injury or transfers, at various points in the season.

Edited by Enzo Chiefo

Pleased this is pretty much done now, still means we need direct back up or similar characters in the squad. Think we missed more than just his ability since he's been out!

Bazzas right boot

Hopefully CL signs an extension well. 

Send us on to the final on a high. 

2 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

you rascal. 

18 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

I wonder how long he will want. make it happen Hearts.

It should have been ten
20 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

This :thumbsup:

BBC now saying it will be announced in the summer.  I dont know the rules but is there a restriction on announcing the signing of another team's player?

I'm at a loss here and frustrated.

2 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

BBC now saying it will be announced in the summer.  I dont know the rules but is there a restriction on announcing the signing of another team's player?

I'm at a loss here and frustrated.

Presumably he can't sign till out if contract so nothing really to announce till then.

Summer is technically only a few weeks away 

Edit: Actually Summer in Scotland is today and tomorrow. Get it done Hearts.

Edited by graygo