Hearts v Celtic semi - over 28,000 sold

jamdunc

Hackney Hearts
14 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Welcome to Ludwig Wittgenstein.?

Logik, innit?

Based on the assumption that the 133k+ were people. And not ants, for instance.

But then an attendance of 1 would seem low for a Scotland-England game, so I'll stick with my original observation.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NANOJAMBO

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• ...a bit disco

• graygo

2 hours ago, portobellojambo1 said:

Football wise for me it was Hampden Park in February 1968, 12th birthday present. Match was European Championship Group Qualifier (was the home nations in one group, played over two seasons). between Scotland and England and the attendance was 134,000.

0-0? Cruikie keeping a cleeansheet against England?

i was at Scotland v England 1974. There was much more in Hampden than the official 94 thousand. I can still remember a Scotland fan on the roof at the Rangers end with a flag! Ive told many people that, and  many don't believe me, if you go on you tube its there!!

3 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

I know I will be trumped but

Rugby - Murrayfield- 104,000 March 1975 - age 10

Football - Hampden v England 88,319 May 1978 - age 13

I was allowed to go to the later on my own from Edinburgh.........

Biggest Hearts crowd must have been the 76 cup final with 83,354

Some of us were watching Hearts (away) that day. ?

2 hours ago, JamboGraham said:

Just been googling...taken at your game...

CB7F78C9-B278-41C0-A7AF-8A1E7F10DD25.thumb.jpeg.37c572df40c423b57849fa0aebede991.jpeg

1962 - but no floodlights ?  I reckon that pic  is just post war, lots of prefabs. 

46 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Why was that game at Hampden and why were they allowed to play it there?  Assuming they played the earlier rounds at Celtic Park?

Sheer demand for tickets - the original "Battle of Britain". 

Rodger Mellie
2 hours ago, JamboGraham said:

30 years ago...just incredible how quickly time goes by...I have a strange recollection that part of the north terrace was a rather odd mixed supporter zone for families? Ring any bells or am I just remembering it incorrectly?

I'm sure you're correct. I was a young boy but can recollect standing amongst both Hearts and Celtic fans.

4 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

1962 - but no floodlights ?  I reckon that pic  is just post war, lots of prefabs. 

Floodlights were installed in 1961!

CFA2F358-52C0-42A6-96E0-BC436117155A.jpeg

4 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Good spot....and along with Jambo-Fox you have reminded me why the kids today are told that “google is not research”....

5 hours ago, ycj said:

i was at Scotland v England 1974. There was much more in Hampden than the official 94 thousand. I can still remember a Scotland fan on the roof at the Rangers end with a flag! Ive told many people that, and  many don't believe me, if you go on you tube its there!!

That's true. I watched the game on the BBC. They showed him up there and David Coleman made the quip. He's letting everyone in Glasgow know what the score is.

8 hours ago, RENE said:

Saw Celtic v Leeds at Hampden.  Attendance of 136,505.  Ok shouldn't have gone but ex father in law got tickets.......

Remember that well...Parkhead couldn't meet demand...English were amazed at crowd size...thinks Liverpool n Leeds were head to head in those days

Best

TW

45 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

That's true. I watched the game on the BBC. They showed him up there and David Coleman made the quip. He's letting everyone in Glasgow know what the score is.

I was at that game too. Pished down all day and two "og's" won it. Remember the late great Jinky running riot.

7 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Why was that game at Hampden and why were they allowed to play it there?  Assuming they played the earlier rounds at Celtic Park?

Easy answer to that is that common sense ruled then.

They didn't have rules just for the sake of it.

That game had enormous national pride at stake.

The demand for tickets was like a Scotland v England game everyone with one obvious exception wanted Celtic to win.

The English pundits used to say Celtic wouldn't hack it in the English League.  They knew different after that.

Celtic beat Leeds home and away.

stirlingshirejambo
17 minutes ago, TorinoJambo said:

I was at that game too. Pished down all day and two "og's" won it. Remember the late great Jinky running riot.

We’re you a Leeds fan in those days?

On 12/10/2018 at 07:59, Mr Elwood P said:

I think you are right and the 2012 semi final is a game which a lot of Jambos would file under ‘wish I was there.’ That may drive sales for this semi final as folk won’t to miss out twice. Between the 2012 semi and final and then Anfield I think that’s 3 out of a lot of people’s top 10 Hearts games. 

The very games I regret missing. Living down South is a pain in the arse for watching the Famous as it is, add that to my works annual leave policy where I am expected to book my leave a year in advance. Its a nightmare most of the time. :(

12 hours ago, Toggie88 said:

Bronze wasn’t too bad a deal.  

Had you went for it, you would have got 6 Hearts games off the top of my head, plus at least 2 internationals every year...plus all the OF games you probably could’ve sold the tickets for. I daresay, selling all but the Hearts tickets for face value individually probably would’ve given you a nice profit. 

I thought the debentures gave you the right to buy tickets, not actual tickets, i.e. you still had to then pay for any tickets you wanted.

1 minute ago, FarmerTweedy said:

I thought the debentures gave you the right to buy tickets, not actual tickets, i.e. you still had to then pay for any tickets you wanted.

In which case, you’d have been better spending the money on lottery tickets. 

N Lincs Jambo
9 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

8 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Sheer demand for tickets - the original "Battle of Britain". 

CP official capacity at the time was only 92,000. They got 136,000 there for the European Cup semi-final despite Leeds returning 10,000 tickets. Looks like they shat the bed big time.

avhudtheteeshirt

Just a thought, if we win against Celtic in the Cup semi, will the rest of Scottish football out with the Uglies finally see sense and force neutral venues on them?

When you play at a venue that has designated Celtic and Rangers ends you can hardly call it neutral!!!!

This would finally force them to play out of Glasgow at all major semi and finals!!!!

1 minute ago, avhudtheteeshirt said:

Just a thought, if we win against Celtic in the Cup semi, will the rest of Scottish football out with the Uglies finally see sense and force neutral venues on them?

When you play at a venue that has designated Celtic and Rangers ends you can hardly call it neutral!!!!

This would finally force them to play out of Glasgow at all major semi and finals!!!!

No danger of that happening unfortunately, especially as the SFA are taking Hampden.

1 hour ago, stirlingshirejambo said:

We’re you a Leeds fan in those days?

No. Jambos always first but my English team has always been Man Utd ever since I saw Denis Law for the first time. I also like Torino because of the Lawman.

portobellojambo1
8 hours ago, John Findlay said:

No John, the game finished 1-1. Ronnie Simpson was in goal for Scotland, Martin Peters opened the scoring for England and John Hughes of Celtic equalised with a header. I know it was a long time ago, I was 12 year old but I do remember that I spent an awful lot of time just gazing around at the size of the crowd, it just seemed really huge for someone my age (134,000).

If we get through and are playing The Rangers in the final we should demand a ballot to decide which end of the stadium fans are housed.

If it's meant to be a neutral venue The Rangers have no right to automatically get the best side of the stadium. 

Just now, luckydug said:

If we get through and are playing The Rangers in the final we should demand a ballot to decide which end of the stadium fans are housed.

If it's meant to be a neutral venue The Rangers have no right to automatically get the best side of the stadium. 

How can there be a best side?

Genuine question. I can't see any advantage to having either side of that hole.

9 hours ago, John Findlay said:

that game was 1970. Official crowd was 134,000 but due to people getting in via other methods the gate was put at 137,000. I got in early at the 'Celtic' end got down near the front and wore my Hearts scarf in support of Cruikie. Got some really dirty looks especially when trying to get out. Couldn't believe the size of the crowd. England were defending world champions and we got denied a blatant penalty when Labone scythed down Stein (from memory) at the 'Celtic' end. 

Forever Hearts

We should really be asking the question as to why, in 2018, the Old Firm still have their own ends at Hampden and why they are never told to move ends. It's an absolute joke. 

7 minutes ago, communist said:

More pubs , cafe's, bookies etc plus better transport links if using public transport.

The east side of the stadium is desolate imo.

Anyway its more about emphasising the neutrality of the stadium and ditching the Rangers/Celtic end nonsense.

1 minute ago, Forever Hearts said:

We should really be asking the question as to why, in 2018, the Old Firm still have their own ends at Hampden and why they are never told to move ends. It's an absolute joke. 

I know they are in the habit of taking liberties.

However if you look at a map of Glasgow, where the three grounds are, and take into account parking habits, pubs used etc, changing ends for a final would be mental, from a security standpoint. It would be akin to putting us in the north section of Murrayfield for the semi.

So - I take your point, but no, thanks

Forever Hearts
8 minutes ago, dc-jambo said:

I know they are in the habit of taking liberties.

However if you look at a map of Glasgow, where the three grounds are, and take into account parking habits, pubs used etc, changing ends for a final would be mental, from a security standpoint. It would be akin to putting us in the north section of Murrayfield for the semi.

So - I take your point, but no, thanks

I was meaning for games against other clubs. By all means let them have their usual ends when they play each other. As for your points about pubs & parking, I don't really get it. There are no staunch Rangers or Celtic fans only pubs in the Hampden area that I know of. 

Just now, Forever Hearts said:

I was meaning for games against other clubs. By all means let them have their usual ends when they play each other. As for your points about pubs & parking, I don't really get it. There are no staunch Rangers or Celtic fans only pubs in the Hampden area that I know of. 

Yeah I know that’s what you meant - I just disagree 

11 hours ago, JamboGraham said:

CB7F78C9-B278-41C0-A7AF-8A1E7F10DD25.thumb.jpeg.37c572df40c423b57849fa0aebede991.jpeg

That is brilliant!!!

stirlingshirejambo
45 minutes ago, TorinoJambo said:

No. Jambos always first but my English team has always been Man Utd ever since I saw Denis Law for the first time. I also like Torino because of the Lawman.

I knew that really Ian I was teasing as I know the discussions re the merits of man united and derby county back in the day we had

the great hatred between the two and to go to a Celtic Leeds game is like watching going hoping both teams lose 

cheers

graham 

11 hours ago, JamboGraham said:

My first visits to Hampden were in the 80’s and given that it was basically the same set up (with the exception of the old North stand)....132,000 sounds utterly insane!!! It must have been exhilarating and terrifying in equal measure...

It was absolutely brilliant in the game but, as I had gone by myself and wasn't "wise" in getting out the ground, instead of waiting awhile, I left at the end and the crush outside was more than a little disturbing.

38 minutes ago, communist said:

Plus we always get pumped when we’re in the Celtic end. 

15 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

The 100 acre (Curtis Ave)is most definitely a Celtic pub, and the beechwood predominantly so..

the whole area of Toryglen is where a large majority people with Irish ancestry live.. street names like Kerrycroy give the game away. This has a large factor in historically granting Celtic the Aikenhead Road end 

1 hour ago, Toggie88 said:

In which case, you’d have been better spending the money on lottery tickets. 

Only if your reason for considering buying one in the first place was to try to make money out of it. 

Need to break the East End of Hampden hoodoo.

Can anyone remember us winning when we've been housed at that end?

I'm not really superstitious but you start noticing these things!

1 hour ago, luckydug said:

Correct. We start the campaign before 4pm on the Sunday 28th. Neutral venue means a toss of a coin for which dressing room and end.

8 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Correct. We start the campaign before 4pm on the Sunday 28th. Neutral venue means a toss of a coin for which dressing room and end.

Pointless, narcissistic, defeatist, superstition-based...

ticks all the boxes for a successful campaign, then ?

57 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

You mean the East end.

Feck each end being called after these bigoted fuds. 

They are filth. Both of them. 

If that makes you happy, then yes. 

13 hours ago, JamboGraham said:

What a great photo. A great stadium in its day. But a day that should really have passed.

Was amused to note there seems to be a game going on at lesser hampden. I imagine it would be a little difficult to concentrate on your game with the noise of a 132k crowd a few yards away. 

3 hours ago, portobellojambo1 said:

No John, the game finished 1-1. Ronnie Simpson was in goal for Scotland, Martin Peters opened the scoring for England and John Hughes of Celtic equalised with a header. I know it was a long time ago, I was 12 year old but I do remember that I spent an awful lot of time just gazing around at the size of the crowd, it just seemed really huge for someone my age (134,000).

That's incredibly old! ?

12 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

I think the prefabs that you mention when that photo was taken were already well passed their expected life expectancy. I’m sure they (see photo) were the last prefabs in Glasgow to be demolished HOWEVER that was not until around 1994!! I remember being amazed at them on my first visits to Hampden!

FF66BF67-F4B6-4912-9916-F4242F8EA078.jpeg

15 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

That's incredibly old! ?

:D I knew there was something unusual about him...

Big Slim Stylee
57 minutes ago, benny said:

The best thing he did at old Trafford.

https://youtu.be/aXpF2v0Kgvk

Think I can guess without watching ?. Back in a sec....

.....yep. Didn’t actually relegate them though. They were down anyway.

Edited by Big Slim Stylee