Hearts v Celtic semi - over 28,000 sold

jamdunc

Bazzas right boot
38 minutes ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

I know. It’s bizarre that there are some trying to stick up for them when they admit themselves it’s a poor show. Quite why a semi at Easter Road half a decade ago is being presented as more relevant when we are currently on schedule to shift 30k is anybody’s guess?

Just pointing out that clubs, depending on form, opposition, location, day and time can attract various crowds. Some high, some low. 

We've had some great crowds and some shitty crowds. 

Aberdeen the same. 

Point scoring for poor crowds, when we've been guilty of it in our most recent semi finals just seems a bit shit and daft. 

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NANOJAMBO

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• ...a bit disco

• graygo

All roads lead to Gorgie
10 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

We had about 20k, they had about 7k. 

It felt like there were more than 27k in total at the game that day. We had all of the east terracing and most of the north stand which looked full to me but maybe my memories are clouded by the massive celebrations after Johnston's winner. 

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Our current ticket selling form is c25k. Not the historical ticket sale form of half a decade ago.

It was our last semi final. 

Quite relevant if we are going to slag other clubs for poor crowds for semi finals? 

We obviously have a great crowd going this time, in Edinburgh, top of the league,  having beat the opposition last time out, I'd expect nothing less in all honesty. 

1 minute ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

Just pointing out that clubs, depending on form, opposition, location, day and time can attract various crowds. Some high, some low. 

We've had some great crowds and some shitty crowds. 

Aberdeen the same. 

Point scoring for poor crowds, when we've been guilty of it in our most recent semi finals just seems a bit shit and daft. 

I disagree. Aberdeen get shit crowds but are often held up as a bigger club than they are in terms of popularity. No harm in pointing out it’s not true. Besides, they set themselves up for this by having a tantrum about not being considered for the Murrayfield game, and then again by bleating about not being given half the tickets. 

Just now, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

It felt like there were more than 27k in total at the game that day. We had all of the east terracing and most of the north stand which looked full to me but maybe my memories are clouded by the massive celebrations after Johnston's winner. 

IIRC Hearts sold all their tickets and asked for more because it a clear the Sheep were never going to shift anywhere near their allocation. Again IIRC , the Sheep  pulled the same stunt - shifted the tickets in the north stand and the goal end was half empty. Easily half empty. There was a fair bit of rage at the time from Hearts fans but it makes sense now.  If the Sheep fans and the club are saying they don't want to have to buy the cheap seats before getting  a chance to buy the dearer/better ones then the SPFL/SFA should make the club buy the full allocation IMO  and hold them accountable for unsold seats. 

Bazzas right boot
11 minutes ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

I disagree. Aberdeen get shit crowds but are often held up as a bigger club than they are in terms of popularity. No harm in pointing out it’s not true. Besides, they set themselves up for this by having a tantrum about not being considered for the Murrayfield game, and then again by bleating about not being given half the tickets. 

Don't care who gets the bigger crowds, the results matter not head count. Just pointing out a certain amount of irony, Not gonna argue about it. The crowd figures are there for all to see. 

We're doing well tho with sales this time and that's what matters. 

I'll let you crack on,  I couldn’t care if Aberdeen get 30k or 5k at a semi, they won't care either if they win. 

Slagging Aberdeen for poor crowds which we have also been guilty of does not do it for me. I don't get it, shite banter. 

I'd also add, every club sets themselves up for it as they slag other clubs then usually get some shite crowds themselves in the future. 

Edited by WeeChuck'sHeed

Good wins against Aberdeen and Dundee and a sell-out at Murrayfield would be tremendous boost as we battle through this injury crisis.

Vital to see Djoum and others giving it everything for the cause.

1 hour ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Both us and Aberdeen have far better recent records against Rangers. Aberdeen have lost 11 of their last 12 against Celtic comparatively they have 3 draws and 2 wins in their last 12 games against Rangers. Prior to the 4-0 win over Celtic we hadn’t beaten them since April 15th 2012. Not sure how you’d have the perception of either of us having a better record against Celtic than Rangers. Our results in Glasgow are almost as bad for each side of the old firm with the Sow 2-1 victory and a couple of 0-0 draws being the only light in a very very long and very very dark tunnel.

The key point was "in considering the relative strength" against Rangers. We've been even, if not stronger than Rangers, with Celtic miles ahead of everyone until this year. This isn't a Rangers/Celtic comparison, it's a Hearts/Rangers, Aberdeen/Rangers comparison. I think both teams would think they should have had much better results (or at least performances - which was the) away from home against Rangers over the last couple of years, as a team much closer to our level than Celtic were.

I specifically didn't say "record" against Celtic but "performances". I think there's an emotional sense that both Aberdeen and us let ourselves down against Rangers when we should be performing better. Expectations aren't as high for Celtic, so we're not let down as much. That's all.

Edited by JamboJen

Actually hoping Aberdeen fans buy tickets for their semi final as it all goes into the pot we split.

Ideally 2 sold out semi finals would give us a good cash payout.

1 hour ago, JamboJen said:

The key point was "in considering the relative strength" against Rangers. We've been even, if not stronger than Rangers, with Celtic miles ahead of everyone until this year. This isn't a Rangers/Celtic comparison, it's a Hearts/Rangers, Aberdeen/Rangers comparison. I think both teams would think they should have had much better results (or at least performances - which was the) away from home against Rangers over the last couple of years, as a team much closer to our level than Celtic were.

I specifically didn't say "record" against Celtic but "performances". I think there's an emotional sense that both Aberdeen and us let ourselves down against Rangers when we should be performing better. Expectations aren't as high for Celtic, so we're not let down as much. That's all.

Depends what you mean by stronger? I wouldn’t say we’ve been even with or stronger than Rangers at any point in my lifetime. Even in the Championship winning season we had a wage bill 1/3 of theirs and they had triple our season ticket sales. Our achievement in winning the league that year is completely underrated, especially by our own fans. This year they’ve spent £10m on players and we’ve spent <£500k so my expectation was that we would finish behind them. We’ve started incredibly well. The game at Ibrox wasn’t disappointing in terms of the way we approached the game but was frustrating that we gave away such poor goals. Rangers last won at Tynecastle in 2012, in that time we’ve taken some real sore ones from Celtic at Tynecastle.

5 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Depends what you mean by stronger? I wouldn’t say we’ve been even with or stronger than Rangers at any point in my lifetime. Even in the Championship winning season we had a wage bill 1/3 of theirs and they had triple our season ticket sales. Our achievement in winning the league that year is completely underrated, especially by our own fans. This year they’ve spent £10m on players and we’ve spent <£500k so my expectation was that we would finish behind them. We’ve started incredibly well. The game at Ibrox wasn’t disappointing in terms of the way we approached the game but was frustrating that we gave away such poor goals. Rangers last won at Tynecastle in 2012, in that time we’ve taken some real sore ones from Celtic at Tynecastle.

Although the club was going through its most difficult period in its history that 0-7 cup defeat was about as embarrassing as it comes. 

4 minutes ago, TheStig said:

Although the club was going through its most difficult period in its history that 0-7 cup defeat was about as embarrassing as it comes. 

That was up there as the worst I’d felt at a Hearts game this century. We need to ensure our club is never left prone to something like that ever again.

7 hours ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

Don't care who gets the bigger crowds, the results matter not head count. Just pointing out a certain amount of irony, Not gonna argue about it. The crowd figures are there for all to see. 

I'll let you crack on,  I couldn’t care if Aberdeen get 30k or 5k at a semi, they won't care either if they win. 

Slagging Aberdeen for poor crowds which we have also been guilty of does not do it for me. I don't get it, shite banter. 

I'd also add, every club sets themselves up for it as they slag other clubs then usually get some shite crowds themselves in the future. 

This is where we differ then. I care a lot who gets bigger crowds. This is not the TV cash-rich league of England, attendances have a massive bearing on chances of success in Scotland. It’s not a hard fast rule, but it’s close to, once you factor in liabilities and profit. Generally, the more money you have, the better your team is. In Scotland the overwhelming percentage of income is from supporters. 

I remember sitting at Tynecastle for league games in crowds of 10k and standing at Tynecastle in crowds of <10k. Although it’s early doors, our average attendance so far is over 19k. That’s a huge advantage over the other teams outside of Rangers and Celtic. Add in the decreased outlay for old stand repairs and less debt servicing, and we are in a strong position to cement our place in the top three. That’s before we consider FoH, improved hospitality income or benefactors.

In the last decade and a half we have come close to going out the box twice. Ultimately those events have made us stronger though. In 2004 Isat there with a black balloon in protest and wondered what the future held. Crowds were liable to dwindle and you could feel the fear and depression mounting. Vlad saves us from that and the combination of his investment and the relief at being saved saw crowds soar. Many of those who came back stayed, and in an odd way it made us stronger. Attendances moves up to the near capacity level and stabilised there. 

Then when the wheels came off Romanov’s money train, we looked down the barrel of a gun again. That time however, it was made clear that the only thing keeping the lights on would be us. The shares, the ticket donations and ultimately FoH payments. We rallied in greater numbers than ever before in modern times and we saved the club. 

The result of those near near death experiences and being forced to back the club in numbers or lose it was a higher regular attendance, and less of swing up or down each season. Now it’s all about keeping those numbers up, and then adding to them. After that it’s about keeping those we have added again.

In this same period Aberdeen have enjoyed a fair amount of success by their modern standards, but their crowds have been pretty dire. We are well placed now to leave them standing, and a big part of being able to do that is bums in seats.

1 hour ago, TheStig said:

Can’t remember an experience as bad as that watching Hearts. For me the recent 4-0 game exercised the ghost of that 0-7 defeat. Similarly I think of the 2-1 2012 semi final as exercising the ghost of a 1-2 Coca Cola Cup defeat at Tynecastle in the 90’s. Pierre Van Hooijdonk was the game changer. I was gutted as a young lad.

1 minute ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Can’t remember an experience as bad as that watching Hearts. For me the recent 4-0 game exercised the ghost of that 0-7 defeat. Similarly I think of the 2-1 2012 semi final as exercising the ghost of a 1-2 Coca Cola Cup defeat at Tynecastle in the 90’s. Pierre Van Hooijdonk was the game changer. I was gutted as a young lad.

I think us older heeds see the Semi in 2012 as a reversal for the 1988 Semi defeat.  ?

Governor Tarkin
8 hours ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

Agree with most of this, Tosh.

I am more surprised than anything else about the poor effort from the Dons fans for this semi final.

In the past they have travelled in numbers and brought over 7000 to Murrayfield for a league game last season.

Perhaps there is discontent among the fans or something.

So no point scoring from me just surprise.

Bazzas right boot
28 minutes ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

This is where we differ then. I care a lot who gets bigger crowds. This is not the TV cash-rich league of England, attendances have a massive bearing on chances of success in Scotland. It’s not a hard fast rule, but it’s close to, once you factor in liabilities and profit. Generally, the more money you have, the better your team is. In Scotland the overwhelming percentage of income is from supporters. 

I remember sitting at Tynecastle for league games in crowds of 10k and standing at Tynecastle in crowds of <10k. Although it’s early doors, our average attendance so far is over 19k. That’s a huge advantage over the other teams outside of Rangers and Celtic. Add in the decreased outlay for old stand repairs and less debt servicing, and we are in a strong position to cement our place in the top three. That’s before we consider FoH, improved hospitality income or benefactors.

In the last decade and a half we have come close to going out the box twice. Ultimately those events have made us stronger though. In 2004 Isat there with a black balloon in protest and wondered what the future held. Crowds were liable to dwindle and you could feel the fear and depression mounting. Vlad saves us from that and the combination of his investment and the relief at being saved saw crowds soar. Many of those who came back stayed, and in an odd way it made us stronger. Attendances moves up to the near capacity level and stabilised there. 

Then when the wheels came off Romanov’s money train, we looked down the barrel of a gun again. That time however, it was made clear that the only thing keeping the lights on would be us. The shares, the ticket donations and ultimately FoH payments. We rallied in greater numbers than ever before in modern times and we saved the club. 

The result of those near near death experiences and being forced to back the club in numbers or lose it was a higher regular attendance, and less of swing up or down each season. Now it’s all about keeping those numbers up, and then adding to them. After that it’s about keeping those we have added again.

In this same period Aberdeen have enjoyed a fair amount of success by their modern standards, but their crowds have been pretty dire. We are well placed now to leave them standing, and a big part of being able to do that is bums in seats.

We are well placed, I thought this 4/5 years ago that we'd be in a place to overcome Aberdeen once we got ourselves together. 

It's important we keep our numbers up. 

Aberdeen still get around 15k each hone game, not bad and comfortably in the top 5, we'll get more, great but I'm hardly gonna get a boner over it. 

As for a semi final in the lc we have done well this time. Aberdeen not so well. 

Big deal. It's great news for us but given our history I'll not be slagging another team who will Likley get around 12k fans travelling from Aberdeen to Glasgow on a Sunday, we've been there ourselves 

We average 18k, you only average 14/15k is shite banter. 

They've been above us every league season for the past 6 years and won a cup more recently than us. 

I'll start to point score when matters on the field are reversed, which they will be. Then my Aberdeen mates will get it tight. Getting a semi about a bigger crowd in a semi isn't for me. 

I'm boring myself posting about it. 

5 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

We are well placed, I thought this 4/5 years ago that we'd be in a place to overcome Aberdeen once we got ourselves together. 

Aberdeen still get around 15k each hone game, not bad and comfortably in the top 5, we'll get more, great but I'm hardly gonna get a boner over it. 

As for a semi final in the lc we have done well this time. Aberdeen not so well. 

Big deal. It's great news for us but given our history I'll not be slagging another team who will Likley get around 12k fans travelling from Aberdeen to Glasgow on a Sunday, we've been there ourselves 

They've been above us every league season for the past 6 years and won a cup more recently than us. 

I'll start to point score when matters on the field are reversed, which they will be. Then my Aberdeen mates will get it tight. Getting a semi about a bigger crowd in a semi isn't for me. 

You may be bored,  but you’re one hundred per cent correct

44 minutes ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

I remember sitting at Tynecastle for league games in crowds of 10k and standing at Tynecastle in crowds of <10k

Christ, I remember sitting/standing at Tynecastle alongside 2000-3000 on a regular basis.

Dark, dark days indeed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10 minutes ago, BIG ECK said:

Christ, I remember sitting/standing at Tynecastle alongside 2000-3000 on a regular basis.

Dark, dark days indeed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me too. Watching the likes of Archie White and Harry feckin Kinnear. They don't know they're born mutter mutter etc.

5 minutes ago, TorinoJambo said:

Me too. Watching the likes of Archie White and Harry feckin Kinnear. They don't know they're born mutter mutter etc.

I never knew Harry Kinnears middle name was feckin.

EastSideJambo
30 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

FWIW I agree with you. Not sure it's worth get horny about how many fans the sheep are taking to Hampden 

Someone seeking an argument for the sake of it I'd suggest 

17 minutes ago, TorinoJambo said:

I loved Harry ****ing Kinnear and those were the first days I stood in the shed. I wouldn't give those memories up for anything.

1 minute ago, SE16 3LN said:

I loved Harry ****ing Kinnear and those were the first days I stood in the shed. I wouldn't give those memories up for anything.

I wouldn't forget those times either.

It's a reminder of how far we have come and how good we have it now despite the moaning on here sometimes.

14 hours ago, redjambo said:

That is frankly pathetic.

For  Semifinal at the weekend it's more than pathetic.

Read one dick on the stv site say we were also struggling to sell tickets but this wasn’t being discussed. West coast roasters.

25 minutes ago, Turkishcap said:

Read one dick on the stv site say we were also struggling to sell tickets but this wasn’t being discussed. West coast roasters.

A friend, a Celtic supporter (my apologies) was saying the same to me yesterday. ‘You’s are going to struggle to sell 20k’, ‘10k empty seats and we can’t have them due to how you’ve sold them’. I told him his first comment was BAWS and the process of how we sell tickets is up to us (giving our most loyal fans choice of the best seats). They (all things Celtic), quite frankly can kiss my ba hooky!! 

...a bit disco

So, we're not allowed to poke Aberdeen fans with a stick over their ticket numbers, but...

Dp2zEtvWwAEuVwe.jpg

I just bought this morning and opted to collect at Tynecastle. Will they be available to collect now as I need to give a couple to someone tonight as a present?

Lord Beni of Gorgie
13 hours ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Aye but the point is they were questioning why they were not considered for the tie at Murrayfield. A stadium with 15k more seats than the venue they are struggling to sell 10k for.

The point was neutrality not volume 

5 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I just bought this morning and opted to collect at Tynecastle. Will they be available to collect now as I need to give a couple to someone tonight as a present?

I was told yesterday that tickets could be collected today. 

1 hour ago, SE16 3LN said:

You're dead right. It let's us old farts appreciate how good things are now. By the way big Harry wisnae that bad - it was just that I thought of the 2 names first. If I sat down and really thought about it I'm sure I could find a lot worse.

20 minutes ago, ...a bit disco said:

So, we're not allowed to poke Aberdeen fans with a stick over their ticket numbers, but...

Dp2zEtvWwAEuVwe.jpg

Had a good laugh.Read it again, noticed CL in the pic and howled. ?

Lord Beni of Gorgie
21 minutes ago, ...a bit disco said:

Dp2zEtvWwAEuVwe.jpg

A wee rendition of Your going to Hampden we're not might confuse them 

1 minute ago, TorinoJambo said:

You're dead right. It let's us old farts appreciate how good things are now. By the way big Harry wisnae that bad - it was just that I thought of the 2 names first. If I sat down and really thought about it I'm sure I could find a lot worse.

You definitely could!

Spud Murphy?  Mind you, he would probably have been a regular in the mid-790's team.

21 minutes ago, EastSideJambo said:

Aye same here. Must be oot on mass today 

My postie is a Jambo and his mate on the round is Wayne Foster.

20 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

A wee rendition of Your going to Hampden we're not might confuse them 

:D Superb. I hope it happens.