Hearts v Celtic semi - over 28,000 sold

jamdunc

Shanks said no
23 minutes ago, south morocco said:

Does this game qualify for Hampden  debentures given its not at Hampden, just wondered?

Probably

The 20-year Hampden scheme will secure fans and companies the right to buy packages covering a minimum of eight games, typically the semi-finals and finals of the Scottish and League cups and two internationals.

5,160 were put on sale, unsure if they were all purchased

Dug a bit more

Gold, Silver and Bronze debenture schemes were sold to fans guaranteeing seats at internationals and cup finals.

Gold debentures sold 216 seats at £3,500 a head. Silver were taken up by 1,340 fans at £1,750 each, while Bronze debentures at £650 and £450 a piece sold 2,444 seats.

In total, 4,000 debenture seat sales raised £4,653,000 for The National Stadium Ltd (TNS), a subsidiary company of Queen's Park, which loaned the money to the amateur club to assist with the troubled rebuild of Hampden.

Edited by The Frenchman Returns

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NANOJAMBO

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• ...a bit disco

• graygo

7 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Probably

The 20-year Hampden scheme will secure fans and companies the right to buy packages covering a minimum of eight games, typically the semi-finals and finals of the Scottish and League cups and two internationals.

When does that scheme end? We must be almost at 20 years now. 

Shanks said no
1 minute ago, Toggie88 said:

When does that scheme end? We must be almost at 20 years now. 

In line with the lease, 2019 or 2020

9 hours ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

:rofl:

So tense, never tenser...

Tip of the tongue, I can't remember it. 

A frail shadow of former glory now - you can decide who I'm talking about for yourself ;)

18 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Probably

Dug a bit more

Gold, Silver and Bronze debenture schemes were sold to fans guaranteeing seats at internationals and cup finals.

Gold debentures sold 216 seats at £3,500 a head. Silver were taken up by 1,340 fans at £1,750 each, while Bronze debentures at £650 and £450 a piece sold 2,444 seats.

In total, 4,000 debenture seat sales raised £4,653,000 for The National Stadium Ltd (TNS), a subsidiary company of Queen's Park, which loaned the money to the amateur club to assist with the troubled rebuild of Hampden.

Bronze wasn’t too bad a deal.  

Had you went for it, you would have got 6 Hearts games off the top of my head, plus at least 2 internationals every year...plus all the OF games you probably could’ve sold the tickets for. I daresay, selling all but the Hearts tickets for face value individually probably would’ve given you a nice profit. 

Edited by Toggie88

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

1 hour ago, Rudolf said:

6(5,151)

To slow. ?

42 minutes ago, dc-jambo said:

Yes it would. 

Why are you posting the same thing so many different times?

Shouldnt you be on an Aberdeen forum instead?

I’m discussing a topic. If it dicks you off so much, pop me on ignore, you hideously boring chap. :)

William H. Bonney
1 minute ago, Captain Price said:

If this sells out, this’ll be the largest attendance for a game I’ve ever been at. 

Me too. The 86 cup final being the highest attendance I've been at. 

south morocco
1 hour ago, BarneyBattles said:

Spot on. If only the spfl / sfa could see that their number1 job is to promote and develop the game here. 

My 8 year old cant wait to go to murrayfield. He was gobsmacked when I told him it was 3 times the size of tynecastle and we had sold 25,000 tickets. 

He’s now able to go with his pals and 7 of us are now going, none of us would have been at hampden on the Sunday evening. 

Same here. Im now taking my 9 year old when neither of us were going to the hamden sunday game!

south morocco
10 minutes ago, Dino Velvet said:

Me too. The 86 cup final being the highest attendance I've been at. 

What was the attendance at that? I was  a stricken 16year old from the week before.

Shanks said no
19 minutes ago, Captain Price said:

If this sells out, this’ll be the largest attendance for a game I’ve ever been at. 

I know I will be trumped but

Rugby - Murrayfield- 104,000 March 1975 - age 10

Football - Hampden v England 88,319 May 1978 - age 13

I was allowed to go to the later on my own from Edinburgh.........

Biggest Hearts crowd must have been the 76 cup final with 83,354

Edited by The Frenchman Returns

14 minutes ago, Captain Price said:

Hmm, that’s got me thinking, how many was at Wembley for the 2014 friendly? Apart from that match then probably the same for me regarding highest attendance. Can’t bloody wait for this, bring on the wee hibs ??????

portobellojambo1
8 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

I know I will be trumped but

Rugby - Murrayfield- 104,000 March 1975 - age 10

Football - Hampden v England 88,319 May 1978 - age 13

I was allowed to go to the later on my own from Edinburgh.........

Biggest Hearts crowd must have been the 76 cup final with 83,354

Football wise for me it was Hampden Park in February 1968, 12th birthday present. Match was European Championship Group Qualifier (was the home nations in one group, played over two seasons). between Scotland and England and the attendance was 134,000.

Since all stadium in Scotland has been all seated. I think this may be the biggest crowd in Scotland most Celtic fans have been to if this sells out never mind us Jambos. 

William H. Bonney
32 minutes ago, south morocco said:

What was the attendance at that? I was  a stricken 16year old from the week before.

62,841 according to Google. 

Edited by Dino Velvet

First Scotland International was the biggest crowd for me in 1962, 2-0 win, 132,000.

v Italy World Cup, 1-0, I think was the same.

Do the row's at Murrayfeld start at A?

Just got my hands on my ticket which said row O.

Had a panic thinking it was a zero and therefor the front row (rubbish view).

But I've been reassured it's an O and the row's are by letter!

Guess The Crowd
21 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

Football wise for me it was Hampden Park in February 1968, 12th birthday present. Match was European Championship Group Qualifier (was the home nations in one group, played over two seasons). between Scotland and England and the attendance was 134,000.

I think that’s one of the first football matches I can ever remember (I was 8 ) certainly the first international.

Without googling  it I would say Peters for England, John Hughes equaliser for Scotland, would that be right?

portobellojambo1
1 minute ago, Guess The Crowd said:

I think that’s one of the first football matches I can ever remember (I was 8 ) certainly the first international.

Without googling  it I would say Peters for England, John Hughes equaliser for Scotland, would that be right?

Yip

10 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

I was at that game and our end was absolutely mobbed.  

30 years ago...just incredible how quickly time goes by...I have a strange recollection that part of the north terrace was a rather odd mixed supporter zone for families? Ring any bells or am I just remembering it incorrectly?

Think my two highest attendances both involve Barcelona. Was at the nou camp for a cl game where the attendance was apparently 85k. Then hearts v barcelona. 

20 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

First Scotland International was the biggest crowd for me in 1962, 2-0 win, 132,000.

Same here at the ripe old age of 14.  

19 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

My first visits to Hampden were in the 80’s and given that it was basically the same set up (with the exception of the old North stand)....132,000 sounds utterly insane!!! It must have been exhilarating and terrifying in equal measure...

scott herbertson

I think the biggest attendance for me would have been the scottish Cup Final in 1973 rangers 3 celtic 2  attendance - 122,714 ( I was in the rangers end and clapped Dalglish's goal so it was nearly the last game I ever attended too)

I did think it might be a Scotland gam ebut for example the world cup qualifier vs Czechoslovakia in 1973 was 95,786 ..and scotland England 1974 was  94,487

Edited by scott herbertson

41 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

Just been googling...taken at your game...

CB7F78C9-B278-41C0-A7AF-8A1E7F10DD25.thumb.jpeg.37c572df40c423b57849fa0aebede991.jpeg

Forever Hearts
29 minutes ago, JamboGraham said:

30 years ago...just incredible how quickly time goes by...I have a strange recollection that part of the north terrace was a rather odd mixed supporter zone for families? Ring any bells or am I just remembering it incorrectly?

I'd be surprised if there was a mixed fans zone at that game but I'm not saying you're wrong. I was directly behind the goal and what sticks in my mind is half time when they read out the Grand National winner. Half the Hearts support seemed to have backed Rhym n Reason. 

1 hour ago, scott herbertson said:

I think the biggest attendance for me would have been the scottish Cup Final in 1973 rangers 3 celtic 2  attendance - 122,714 ( I was in the rangers end and clapped Dalglish's goal so it was nearly the last game I ever attended too)

I did think it might be a Scotland gam ebut for example the world cup qualifier vs Czechoslovakia in 1973 was 95,786 ..and scotland England 1974 was  94,487

I was at the game and I thought the attendance was 10,000 less than your figure. The only reason I mention it is,  I was at the Celtic end and I remember thinking...there's enough space here to have a picnic. That terrace held 60,00 originally and it wasn't near being full - and the game was ticket only ? 

scott herbertson
2 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

I was at the game and I thought the attendance was 10,000 less than your figure. The only reason I mention it is,  I was at the Celtic end and I remember thinking...there's enough space here to have a picnic. That terrace held 60,00 originally and it wasn't near being full - and the game was ticket only ? 

I was at the czechoslovakian one and it seemed full - wasn't at that england game

3 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

I was at the czechoslovakian one and it seemed full - wasn't at that england game

Attention to detail ! ? Old age and flu are not a good combination for reading.

I Googled - your numbers are correct. 

Edited by NANOJAMBO

scott herbertson
1 minute ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Attention to detail ! ? Old age and flu are not a good combination for reading.

you highlighted the Scotland England game bit - is it not that one you meant (sorry, its late and I have just survived sitting through the noise and worry of a party of 30 17 years olds in my house so my brain isn't functioning properly)

1 hour ago, scott herbertson said:

I was ar the 1970 Scotland v England game which had an attendance of over 133k

8 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

you highlighted the Scotland England game bit - is it not that one you meant (sorry, its late and I have just survived sitting through the noise and worry of a party of 30 17 years olds in my house so my brain isn't functioning properly)

Yes, the England game (I edited my post). Just had a wee look on YTube- happy days. Scotland fans singing "You'll never walk alone". What a day. 

scott herbertson
Just now, NANOJAMBO said:

Yes, the England game (I edited my post). Just had a wee look on YTube- happy days. Scotland fans singing "You'll never walk alone". What a day. 

I missed that one (I think - I went to a few and its all a bit of a blur) They were fantastic days out or in the case of wembley weekends out

Hackney Hearts
8 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I was ar the 1970 Scotland v England game which had an attendance of over 133k

You're not the only one (obviously).

Fozzyonthefence
1 hour ago, RENE said:

Saw Celtic v Leeds at Hampden.  Attendance of 136,505.  Ok shouldn't have gone but ex father in law got tickets.......

Why was that game at Hampden and why were they allowed to play it there?  Assuming they played the earlier rounds at Celtic Park?