Craig Wighton signs on 3yr deal (updated)

Vlad the impaler

Sometimes players go on loan deal and then come back and play for us, to varying degrees of success.  Sometimes they go on a loan deal and then never play for us again.

Well.  Always an education, this joint.

We signing Wighton?

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HeartofHartley

• rudi must stay

• Top Corner

• letsalldothebeattie

Spoke to a Dundee fanatic who follows home and away. Reckons he's a great young player with potential. Up to us to bring on.

Edited by phjambo

49 minutes ago, johnthomas said:

Hes thinking back

No problem with that, it's just 10 minutes ago that's the problem.

Probably sitting at the keyboard, thinking,

"Now, what was it I was going to do?"

Anyway, I'm away to . . . err . . .wait a minute, it'll come to me!

Edited by colinmaroon

John Souttar looked promising but we brought him in when he was at his lowest in form. He had been playing out of position and even when played in the correct position he was playing poorly.

Many questioned it.

Wighton is a young player who has had a horrible injury to fight back from. He is now ready to get his career back on track. He might not have many goals to his name yet but he is a talented footballer and has plenty experience despite his age. Perhaps we can bring the hidden potential out of him in the same way we have done with Souttar. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
Just now, Bauld said:

John Souttar looked promising but we brought him in when he was at his lowest in form. He had been playing out of position and even when played in the correct position he was playing poorly.

Many questioned it.

Wighton is a young player who has had a horrible injury to fight back from. He is now ready to get his career back on track. He might not have many goals to his name yet but he is a talented footballer and has plenty experience despite his age. Perhaps we can bring the hidden potential out of him in the same way we have done with Souttar. 

That is a fair point.

Clerry Jambo

Craig Wighton: Dundee forward nears Hearts move

By Brian McLauchlin

BBC Scotland

• 41 minutes ago
  • From the section Dundee

Craig Wighton in action for Dundee
Scotland Under-21 international Craig Wighton is close to a move to Hearts

Dundee striker Craig Wighton is expected to join Hearts, with the two clubs close to agreeing a deal.

The 21-year-old has made eight appearances for the Dens Park club this season, scoring once.

Manager Neil McCann believes Wighton "has not been in top form" recently and the time is right for him to move on.

"I have been in the exact same position as Craig, having come through the ranks at this very club, and maybe he did need to freshen it up," McCann said.

"He felt it was maybe the right time for him to go.

"The club had to be comfortable with the money they were receiving and I believe they are. And I wish him every success at his new club."

McCann has brought veteran striker Kenny Miller to Dens Park following his exit from the player-manager role at Livingston.

Dundee have lost all three of their Premiership matches to date and were eliminated from the Scottish League Cup after a chastening 3-0 home defeat by Ayr United.

McCann hopes 38-year-old Miller will bring a greater potency and "intelligence" to his attack, and he is set to feature in Saturday's league visit of Motherwell.

"We have been finding it a wee bit of a problem in scoring goals," the manager said. "I don't just expect Kenny to come in and shoulder all of that burden.

"We have other strikers here that will benefit hugely from him. Not only in training and in games but in the dressing room and how he conducts himself.

"I'm pretty sure Kenny looked at us and said he can make us better. And that is why I brought him here."

Had this been a loan or a free transfer then I would have said fair enough however I have heard we are paying £250k for him.

Quite a bit of money for an unproven young striker who has barely scored any first team goals.

rudi must stay
7 minutes ago, Bauld said:

Many questioned it.

United played him in the wrong position. Seems similar in Wighton's case. That can happen, we've done the same a few times. Never helps players

Just now, Dazo said:

There is clearly a player in there let’s hope we can give him the platform to fulfill his potential. 

Always worry when people say "theres a player in there".

Reminds me of El Hassnaoui.

In the same way players like Berra and Hughes have made Souttar better Wighton will come on strong with players like MacLean and Naismith to guide him.

3 minutes ago, Lambo85 said:

Had this been a loan or a free transfer then I would have said fair enough however I have heard we are paying £250k for him.

Quite a bit of money for an unproven young striker who has barely scored any first team goals.

I don't think it be anywhere near 250k.  

Lets give the young guy a chance to prove himself.  I remember being excited when Dennis Wyness signed and decidedly underwhelmed when Sir Paul Hartley signed. And we all know how that one turned out. 

John Findlay

Welcome to the Heart of Midlothian  Craig. Give us your best and there will be no complaints. Good luck.

Just now, Lambo85 said:

Always worry when people say "theres a player in there".

Reminds me of El Hassnaoui.

The lad is 21 years old. Capped all the way up to and including 21’s. The club clearly feel they can get more out of him than Dundee have. After proving with Souter that we can do I’m willing to look at this positively. I think/hope he’ll thrive. 

Steve_Jersey_HMFC
4 hours ago, The Wrinkly Ninja said:

Equally our record when signing forwards from Dundee when they are not in a lower league is pretty good!

Haha right enough mate I just realised my mistake, long day at work!

3 minutes ago, Dazo said:

The lad is 21 years old. Capped all the way up to and including 21’s. The club clearly feel they can get more out of him than Dundee have. After proving with Souter that we can do I’m willing to look at this positively. I think/hope he’ll thrive. 

We've also got the management and senior players in place to make sure he develops properly as well.

HeartofHartley

Really underwhelmed by this signing tbh. Will be really disappointed if this is the only striker we sign between now and Friday which I think it probably will be. 

6 minutes ago, primrose said:

I don't think it be anywhere near 250k.  

Lets give the young guy a chance to prove himself.  I remember being excited when Dennis Wyness signed and decidedly underwhelmed when Sir Paul Hartley signed. And we all know how that one turned out. 

Agreed, lets give the young guy a chance. However, its just not the replacement for Kyle Lafferty that we were all hoping for though is it? I am all for signing young and promising players but when your best striker is sold then you are hoping to sign a replacement for him.

Disapointed that Sow could not prove his fitness as a fully fit and motivated Sow would have been a great replacement. Or that we couldnt manage to get Vanecek in 5 months early.

Hopefully big Uche can keep himself fit.

Edited by Lambo85

Just now, HeartofHartley said:

Really underwhelmed by this signing tbh. Will be really disappointed if this is the only striker we sign between now and Friday which I think it probably will be. 

Interesting user name, underwhelming signing too? 

This reminds me of the McCann/Hamilton signings under Jefferies, lets hope he makes a similar impact. Have a good feeling about this one! Straight on the bench for Saturday please!

HeartofHartley
Just now, primrose said:

Interesting user name, underwhelming signing too? 

Yes, but unlike Hartley and others mentioning Souttar the impressiveness of a forward is goals and/or assists. 8 in 93 for a forward is brutal. 

Just now, HeartofHartley said:

Yes, but unlike Hartley and others mentioning Souttar the impressiveness of a forward is goals and/or assists. 8 in 93 for a forward is brutal. 

Does that 8 include assists?

Special Agent Dale Cooper

Excellent. Should learn a lot from Naismith, and hopefully step up to replace him where necessary. 

I like this kind of signing. 

HeartofHartley
2 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Does that 8 include assists?

I never knew his assists tbh if he has 8 that makes 16 in 93 still not great - would have preferred Shankland.

Thought Police

Have folk not moaned that we never thought to sign young talented Scottish players like Hibs have in recent years?

Okay, it might not work out, but I think the potential upside is very exciting.

2 minutes ago, HeartofHartley said:

Agreed. Very worrying strike rate.

Levein obviously sees something in him though so fingers crossed he has got this one right.

11 minutes ago, letsalldothebeattie said:

Scarf above the head = happy days. Welcome to the Famous Craig

68FF3CCA-659F-4225-B8C6-820629766D32.jpeg

Welcome. Loveascarfabovetheheed

8 minutes ago, HeartofHartley said:

Giroud was one of the best strikers in the World Cup but didn’t score. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I think a fair chunk of his appearances are as a sub to put things into some perspective, and as a very young kid.

Lies, damned lies, and statistics

Just now, Sir Gio said:

I think a fair chunk of his appearances are as a sub to put things into some perspective, and as a very young kid.

Lies, damned lies, and statistics

So if we are chasing the game and needing a goal then there is not much point in bringing him off the bench?