Craig Wighton signs on 3yr deal (updated)

Vlad the impaler

A lad with bags of potential that needs to be at Tynecastle to kick start his development, a bit like John Souttar. 

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HeartofHartley

• rudi must stay

• Top Corner

• letsalldothebeattie

3 minutes ago, favouriteplayer said:

From what i know Wighton is a player who can play anywhere along the front 3, we don't really have any players that could do this (Naismith maybe, but he will play deeper this season).

Wighton, Morrison, Mulraney and Mitchell means we have some serious pace out wide, perfect for picking up points away from home when previous years we would have crumbled.

We have a seriously strong squad now :clumshot:

This is the way I see it aswell. Gives us options on either side if near the end of a match and we need to freshen things up. Also it's healthy to have competition for places keeps everyone on their toes. 

rudi must stay
3 minutes ago, DG_HMFC said:

A lad with bags of potential that needs to be at Tynecastle to kick start his development, a bit like John Souttar. 

I think it's a different signing to Souttar. He's in the picture at Dens Park but it's a good bit of money for them

Picked out from a Dundee fans forum. they seem to like him, other Dundee players call him the "wizard".

Hope he's not here for just a short spell.

Disappointed that he's not fulfilled his potential here, but he's still got plenty of time to get going. Levein's been after him for a while and there's a reason why so many of our former players have called the a boy a wizard. Unfortunately, we never saw enough of it and he probably needs a change of scenery for his own development's sake.

We're right to take the money, especially at £250k which I'm pleasantly surprised with, but it's still a bit gutting. 

Really, really disappointed if Craig goes but feel it'll be for the best, more so for him than us though. He's been burdened with the weight of expectation from a young age and I feel that is probably holding him back. Hopefully we add a sell on clause if he does indeed go as he'll be worth a fortune once things finally click.

Losing wighton will be worse than Boyle imo as wighton definitely has the potential for a Scotland call up. Probably best for him as we aren't going to use him properly. Miller should ensure we start climbing the table though

Great move for Wighton. I just can't see him ever getting to the level we all hoped he would at Dens, we've just never known where best to deploy him since he burst onto the scene as a 16yr old. Hearts to me is a good fit for him and I expect him to step it up in a similar fashion to Boyle. Just hope he isn't firing on all cylinders when Hearts come calling near the end of October.

On a side note, I'm going to call right now that this place will go into meltdown as soon as Wighton starts hitting form at Hearts, with the 'told you so' brigade lamenting us selling him

Pretty sure he's been deployed as a wide man mostly as opposed to an out and out striker so I'd ignore the goal stats. 

He will get much more time on the ball at Hearts, plus better facilities , coaching etc. Good prospect.

He might be a bit similar to Robbie Muirhead who did well for us in the games he played.

2 hours ago, Top Corner said:

So why are we paying a 6 figure sum for someone that's had a bad injury?

How do we know he's not lost his pace?

Calum Paterson?

Also - do you still believe in the tooth fairy if you believe what’s in the press?

1 hour ago, Hampden Demolition said:

Not against the signing at all mate as I agree that he is a decent young player with potential to develop. Just hope we get another more experienced striker (if not Vanecek) before the weekend.

I agree Vanecek and/or Sow are more important right now . Pleased we are still looking at the big [long term] picture though .

17 minutes ago, Cwapsy said:

Pretty sure he's been deployed as a wide man mostly as opposed to an out and out striker so I'd ignore the goal stats. 

He will get much more time on the ball at Hearts, plus better facilities , coaching etc. Good prospect.

He might be a bit similar to Robbie Muirhead who did well for us in the games he played.

Agree on Muirhead, thought it was disappointing he left us. Played well for us and had really good delivery from set pieces. 

Don’t think it helped him moving on either, now suggestion he will move on from MK Dons and back to Killie. That’s 4 clubs and 4 moves for a young player finding his feet, when he needs consistency and support to learn his trade. Don’t think he’s been well advised

These types of signings should be our bread and butter. The lad has fantastic potential and if he signs he’ll be in the best place to show it. 

I P Knightley

I don't see the logic of signing a player on a £250k fee when our MO has been to take in loans and freebies. Our management must see something special in him. Interesting to see what it is.

kingantti1874
13 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I don't see the logic of signing a player on a £250k fee when our MO has been to take in loans and freebies. Our management must see something special in him. Interesting to see what it is.

I don't believe the 250k fee. If it's anywhere near that it will have clauses and sell on included 

rudi must stay
13 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

From clips he seems very versatile across the front line

This will be a fantastic peice of business for us. Talent wise he was head and shoulders above anybody his age group a few years ago and I guess has lost none of this! 

Probably needs a secure platform to rekindle his enthusiasm and self belief- the confidence will return quickly enough. 

Can add real quality to an evolving side!

Ibrahim Tall
16 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Tbh it isn't always. We paid a similar fee for Souttar and tried to do the same with Cadden.

Signing loans and freebies is what frees up the cash for these type of deals.

HeartofHartley

Weird one, guy doesn't score but everyone jumps on the bandwagon of he must be good if we are interested.... yet hardly any one wanted Shankland who scores for fun. Wet wipes

i wish jj was my dad
1 minute ago, HeartofHartley said:

Weird one, guy doesn't score but everyone jumps on the bandwagon of he must be good if we are interested.... yet hardly any one wanted Shankland who scores for fun. Wet wipes

Craig's record of spotting and developing young Scottish talent suggests  he knows what he is doing.

The wizard is a cracking nickname for that reason I am in

If its a undisclosed fee who will write to the board demanding to know the price?

52 minutes ago, Australis...... said:

Picked out from a Dundee fans forum. they seem to like him, other Dundee players call him the "wizard".

Hope he's not here for just a short spell.

Disappointed that he's not fulfilled his potential here, but he's still got plenty of time to get going. Levein's been after him for a while and there's a reason why so many of our former players have called the a boy a wizard. Unfortunately, we never saw enough of it and he probably needs a change of scenery for his own development's sake.

We're right to take the money, especially at £250k which I'm pleasantly surprised with, but it's still a bit gutting. 

Really, really disappointed if Craig goes but feel it'll be for the best, more so for him than us though. He's been burdened with the weight of expectation from a young age and I feel that is probably holding him back. Hopefully we add a sell on clause if he does indeed go as he'll be worth a fortune once things finally click.

Losing wighton will be worse than Boyle imo as wighton definitely has the potential for a Scotland call up. Probably best for him as we aren't going to use him properly. Miller should ensure we start climbing the table though

Great move for Wighton. I just can't see him ever getting to the level we all hoped he would at Dens, we've just never known where best to deploy him since he burst onto the scene as a 16yr old. Hearts to me is a good fit for him and I expect him to step it up in a similar fashion to Boyle. Just hope he isn't firing on all cylinders when Hearts come calling near the end of October.

On a side note, I'm going to call right now that this place will go into meltdown as soon as Wighton starts hitting form at Hearts, with the 'told you so' brigade lamenting us selling him

Quick sketch at their forum and McCann is definitely not flavour of the month. Like McCann a lot and respect him for taking that job but he really is on borrowed time I feel.

Bazzas right boot

Folk banging on about the fee. 

He'd be about that on a free due to a development fee. 

Plus, we're minted. 

50 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

These types of signings should be our bread and butter. The lad has fantastic potential and if he signs he’ll be in the best place to show it. 

Spot on.   100 career apperances and just turned 21.  Been highly rated and will get time to develop at the best training facilities.  

All roads lead to Gorgie

There is a definite parallel with JJs first spell here developing. Quality players from outwith Scotland joined by Dundee's best. That ended in a Scottish Cup victory and a title chase. Yassss. 

42 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

I don't believe the 250k fee. If it's anywhere near that it will have clauses and sell on included 

Suspiciously similar to the amount Dundee need to find to buy Shankland... Haha

Are we doing McCann a wee turn here?

chuck berrys hairline
12 minutes ago, BelgeJambo said:

Being in a changing room with Paul McGowan must be about as depressing as it gets in football

:4_1_72:

16 minutes ago, BelgeJambo said:

Being in a changing room with Paul McGowan must be about as depressing as it gets in football

The Wizard probably turned him in to the wee toad he is today.

16 minutes ago, BelgeJambo said:

That's bad enough but Imagine the 2012-12 St Mirren dressing room of McGowan, Jim Goodwin & Dougie Imrie. **** that. 

:muggy:

I had similar doubts about John Souttar when we signed him. I think a £250k fee is wishful thinking from Dundee fans and as is per normal with modern transfers the fee will be undisclosed.

Gene Parmesan

My guess in this manufactured 'Wighton v Shankland' debate is that the club's view will be that while Shankland is either at, or close to, the peak of his powers; Wighton's ability hasn't even properly begun to be untapped.

Wighton's ceiling is considerably higher, and I would back Hearts to get the most out of his talent.

23 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Suspiciously similar to the amount Dundee need to find to buy Shankland... Haha

Are we doing McCann a wee turn here?

Well he did us one by signing Jack Hamilton.

Салатные палочки
29 minutes ago, Ryan Jarman said:

That's bad enough but Imagine the 2012-12 St Mirren dressing room of McGowan, Jim Goodwin & Dougie Imrie. **** that. 

:muggy:

Couldn't have been that bad if they beat us in the cup final. We were feckin spineless that day though. 

maroonnicky63
3 hours ago, letsalldothebeattie said:

To be fair the sun are usually pretty bang on with who we are signing 

to a point yes but it still is a shite paper , no other can make up stories like the sun. As for this story lets hope it's true as he is a good player

Hubs fans must be seething with us eh  17 players in the door , no long out of admin, paying fee's for players, built a new stand etc etc etc etc 

That's what £150k every single month from 8000 fans gets you 

Oh right you've just started buying season tickets for the Echo Dome have you......wow ........thats amazing stuff 

2 hours ago, HeartofHartley said:

Absolutely take your point about Shankland. 

1 hour ago, Gene Parmesan said:

My guess in this manufactured 'Wighton v Shankland' debate is that the club's view will be that while Shankland is either at, or close to, the peak of his powers; Wighton's ability hasn't even properly begun to be untapped.

Wighton's ceiling is considerably higher, and I would back Hearts to get the most out of his talent.

Could also just be that Hearts are looking for a winger more than a striker? Wighton played as a winger as a boy, and it was Dundee who played him as a striker. Sounds like a 2-fer, whereas Shankland is an out and out striker.

We've been after wighton for a couple of seasons now and Levein will know exactly what he's getting from him. Shankland may be scoring goals at a lower level for fun at the moment, but he is most likely at his peak, wighton has the ability and skill to go a lot further. As has also been stated, wighton is not an out and out striker, Levein will be looking at him to do a specific job in the team he is building. It is unfair to compare him to a striker who is playing at a lower level, especially when they play different positions.

Gene Parmesan
7 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Could also just be that Hearts are looking for a winger more than a striker? Wighton played as a winger as a boy, and it was Dundee who played him as a striker. Sounds like a 2-fer, whereas Shankland is an out and out striker.

Wighton is a forward, he's not a winger, no matter if he played there as a boy or not. He's not got the attributes to play wing.

4 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Wighton is a forward, he's not a winger, no matter if he played there as a boy or not. He's not got the attributes to play wing.

Neither did Jankauskas nor Bednar yet both were often seen drifting out wide to find space and move defenders around..  I've don't recall taking notice of either Shankland or Wighton TBH but a penalty box striker is what I've heard others say of Shankland, and I'm not sure that is the type of one-dimensional player Levein likes in his teams...

Edited by Spellczech

3 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

It says more about folk that they don't know who Wighton is...

Yeah, it's the guy that used to host Countdown, isn't it ?

Wighton will be groomed as Naismith's replacement, because who knows what will happen at the end of this season.  Will we be able to sign Naismith full time - wages???

What if Naismith got injured?  Wighton seems to a be a player who will be comfortable in that role.  There is tremendous scope for development.

Another Soutar?

5 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

Wighton will be groomed as Naismith's replacement, because who knows what will happen at the end of this season.  Will we be able to sign Naismith full time - wages???

What if Naismith got injured?  Wighton seems to a be a player who will be comfortable in that role.  There is tremendous scope for development.

Another Soutar?

Spot on. It’s how I see it also. Back up for Naismith,, however Harry can also play that role well

stranraer-jambo
12 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

Another Soutar?

6 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

Spot on. It’s how I see it also. Back up for Naismith,, however Harry can also play that role well

Agree.

Imo CL is building a squad with depth for the current season with at least two credible options available for each position or formation he utilises.

He also has one eye on the future so that we don't need to completely overhaul the squad with transfers each and every season, like we are doing now. 

23 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

Another Soutar?

Funny I was thinking that earlier - succession planning. 

34 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Just watched the highlights of him (I know I know, YouTube videos...)

He has reasonable, if not blistering pace. He is skillful, good in tight situations, can run at players and looks very much two footed.

I see no reason he couldn't play wide or just in behind a main striker

Deal all but done. Medical tomorrow, training with players tomorrow and should be done and dusted and announced by the end of play tomorrow. 

2 minutes ago, tokyowalnut said:

Deal all but done. Medical tomorrow, training with players tomorrow and should be done and dusted and announced by the end of play tomorrow. 

Another ITKer

?

Legend Claws
2 minutes ago, tokyowalnut said:

Source?

4 hours ago, HeartofHartley said:

agree but i dont want to pass judgement just yet ive already been wrong this season about zlamal