Craig Wighton signs on 3yr deal (updated)

Vlad the impaler

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HeartofHartley

• rudi must stay

• Top Corner

• letsalldothebeattie

The Internet

So to sum this thread up: 

People who know a bit about him - 'good prospect, could be a very good signing'

People who've never heard of him (somehow) - 'no thanks. Underwhelmed' 

Sounds like he maybe a good prospect.... but don’t see him as a direct replacement for KL. Hopefully we sign another striker before the window closes.

7 hours ago, MrB1to4 said:

I’ve seen him a bit a youth level. He’s a link between midfield and striker. Probably a bit like oor Naisy. He does have huge potential and had a horrible injury. Could be a souttar or could be a Robbie muirhead, depends how motivated he is. I’m assuming this is a like for like replacement for Edwards so good to see management moving productively. 

?

Selkirkhmfc1874
57 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

So to sum this thread up: 

People who know a bit about him - 'good prospect, could be a very good signing'

People who've never heard of him (somehow) - 'no thanks. Underwhelmed' 

Every signing we made in close season was underwhelming to some on here ! Just shows they know bugger all about football to be honest 

1 minute ago, Chaps said:

Bit of a risk spending 6 figure sum on a player who was injured all last season.

Souttar is the same age and has had two serious injuries in the last 3 years yet we value him at 7 figures.  

I think it’s a bigger risk bringing more unknowns onto the wage bill.  I’ve no issue with us paying 6 figures for this lad if we believe he is going places.  More of an investment than a necessity buy,

8 hours ago, Rudy T said:

If we get this lad and Hibs get Kamara then Dundee must be stick on for relegation and wee Neil will be back doing TV commentary by the end of September!

Are H1b5 in for Kamara? That would be a good signing. Im so surprised he hasn't been pinched already.

hearts 4 the cup

Considering how successful our foray into the transfer market has been this summer, we should put some trust into the club on this one.

There are similarities to souttar in the sense that it's a young guy who's starting to stagnate at his club. Got a good feeling about this one. Happy days!

Dundee fans in the majority are disappointed to lose him. Feeling is he’s got bags on talent but needs a good club for him to fulfil his potential. 

Wighton Burns Souttar Cochrane McDonald Morrison Keena its a lot of talent coming through.

Seems like a player who has lost his way in a struggling team, not unlike a certain John Souttar. The boy knows the league but maybe needs a step up to train with better players etc...Levein has not faltered in his pursuit of the boy and he's at a good age. Hopefully it comes off.

We’ve got a good record of signing players from Dundee.

Tosh,McCann,Hamilton,Frail (any others)

Lets hope this guy continues the trend.

kingantti1874
13 minutes ago, Top Corner said:

Never heard of him.

Serious knee injury

6 figure sum

Spot the odd one out lol

Craig levein knows more about football than you. The end 

2 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

We’ve got a good record of signing players from Dundee.

Tosh,McCann,Hamilton,Frail (any others)

Lets hope this guy continues the trend.

Boyack... :unsure:

2 minutes ago, Bez said:

Boyack... :unsure:

Boyack did a decent job at Hearts. A functional if not spectacular player. Fitted the Levein mould at the time

The Internet
20 minutes ago, Top Corner said:

Never heard of him.

Serious knee injury

6 figure sum

Spot the odd one out lol

Baffled that hearts never checked with you to make sure you'd heard of him. 

After all the high of DM coming back why do some people on here allow themselves to plummet down due to a guy most ain't heard of. Sure the club see something in him.

3 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

You some sort of expert ? Why isn't he good enough ? 

You seem certain so do please enlighten us. 

Unbelievable how much the lack mentality is on here if you have a different view, 4 people now have had a go at me for expressing an option on a player which is different from the mainstream.

When I have seen him he has been lacking in awareness and intelligence of movement. He has pace and desire which will help but I just don't see him making it.

Apologies if this annoys people.

He seemed destined for the top a year or two back. He seemed to have pace and was very tricky until his injury.

I am a bit surprised we are paying a six figure fee for him assumjng that is true but it will be interesting to see how the lad gets on.

Sometimes a change of club can work wonders lets hope this is the case here.

4 minutes ago, brux said:

Unbelievable how much the lack mentality is on here if you have a different view, 4 people now have had a go at me for expressing an option on a player which is different from the mainstream.

When I have seen him he has been lacking in awareness and intelligence of movement. He has pace and desire which will help but I just don't see him making it.

All about opinions. I have seen him a few times over the last couple of years and he has alway looked pretty sharp to me. 

17 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

Boyack wasn’t bad.

Shaky start, then came on to a game. I think for many of us, it was going from signing guys like McCann, Weir and Cameron, just a few years before, to realising this was the end of the market we were now operating in. 

Don't know much about him so have to trust the club on this one.  As with any new player he will be judged in a maroon jersey.  He would have to be good to get game time in current team.  

6 minutes ago, Deevers said:

All about opinions. I have seen him a few times over the last couple of years and he has alway looked pretty sharp to me. 

He looked a lot sharper just before his injury, more than happy to be proved wrong, someone told me he was on Celtic radar a while back as well as some  Championship clubs so what do I know!

Edited by brux

9 hours ago, MrB1to4 said:

I’ve seen him a bit a youth level. He’s a link between midfield and striker. Probably a bit like oor Naisy. He does have huge potential and had a horrible injury. Could be a souttar or could be a Robbie muirhead, depends how motivated he is. I’m assuming this is a like for like replacement for Edwards so good to see management moving productively. 

I thought Muirhead showed ability with us and I was surprised we let him go. Don’t think he was given much of a chance.

Clark Griswold

Could be a decent prospect, time will tell I guess, IF he signs. Were we not in the market for a Dundee striker last year?

10 minutes ago, brux said:

I suspect it was more the way you posted it, than what you actually posted. Just writing him off in no uncertain terms. Maybe not, but that’s how it looked. :thumbsup:

letsalldothebeattie

Don’t know what surprises me more the amount of folk writing him off and not wanting us to sign him or the amount of folk on here who claim to have never heard of him. Does these folk not watch other Scottish football

The same one or two posters who were sticking there nose up at the Uche signing earlier this summer are already dissing this guy.

Unbelievable.

7 minutes ago, brux said:

He looked a lot sharper just before his injury, more than happy to be proved wrong, someone told me he was on Celtic radar a while back as well as some  Championship clubs so what do I know!

I know that we tried to get him about 18 months ago but I think Dundee tied him onto a longer contract.  He always looked pretty good when he was played out wide. I think Dundee tried him as a striker at one point and I don't think that really enhanced his game. An interesting addition if we do pick him up and it shows that we are looking at young Scottish talent where possible. Levein has a habit of surprises that turn out to be gems. Hopefuly this will be another one.

Fxxx the SPFL
18 minutes ago, brux said:

Kickback is all about opinions and yours is as valid as any other. It's difficult to judge a player on a few occasions example in case big Uche at Dunfermline he was pretty ordinary and any Pars fan seeing him would say well he's not very good.

8 minutes ago, Bez said:

I suspect it was more the way you posted it, than what you actually posted. Just writing him off in no uncertain terms. Maybe not, but that’s how it looked. :thumbsup:

Maybe

18 minutes ago, brux said:

It's a forum, what did you expect?

Wighton is a guy we have tracked for ages and we have now made a move in the last year of his contract. Your observations on his awareness and game intelligence may well be correct but it's the responsibility of our coaching team to improve him. Let's wait and see. 

Hampden Demolition

Decent potential but isn’t going to get us enough goals between now and January when Vanecek comes in. Would be underwhelmed with our options in attack if this is what we have after Friday. Delighted with our progress in other areas!

Lord Beni of Gorgie

My thoughts

Probably a decent player in there

Not a standing dish in the Dundee team

Reported 250k, they must be delighted  (really hope Callachan is going the other way to allay some of the fee)

But it could turn out to be a bargain, Dundee are a bit of a mess, perhaps needs a club like ourselves to get the opportunity to thrive in that position.

45 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Baffled that hearts never checked with you to make sure you'd heard of him. 

Had you heard of him?

It just seems a strange one to me when there's the likes of Shankland we could be bidding on. 

Hopefully he's an absolute Gem like. 

The Internet
3 minutes ago, Top Corner said:

Had you heard of him?

It just seems a strange one to me when there's the likes of Shankland we could be bidding on. 

Hopefully he's an absolute Gem like. 

Yes :lol: He's been around, and highly rated, for ages. It's weird that anyone who even loosely follows Scottish football hasn't heard of him.