Craig Wighton signs on 3yr deal (updated)

Vlad the impaler

Rangers, Aberdeen, Hibs and ourselves all have cash to spend yet chose other options other than Shankland.

I’m guessing this no coincidence.

Edited by DH1986

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HeartofHartley

• rudi must stay

• Top Corner

• letsalldothebeattie

HeartofHartley

Because we were in the market for a striker to replace laff before it closes and we have signed a striker. I stated that if this was the only striker in before Jan then it's clear that isn't good enough and would be laff replacement until January. 

1 minute ago, Barack said:

He's not though. Quite clear to most deluded people, he's ear-marked as a project player, to be developed & learn alongside MacLean & Nasimith. Like other younger players. 

Where has it been stated he's Laff's replacement? Except here. By you?

1 minute ago, HeartofHartley said:

I don't have the answer to that. Why have we not went for it and went for someone who hardly scores?

How do you know we haven’t enquirered and they’ve given a significantly higher sum? It hasn’t been documented that they would accept 250k, why would any club come out and say aye he’s our best player but we’ll take 250k if anyone fancies it

13 minutes ago, HeartofHartley said:

I never said it wasn't enough but we don't have a poacher style forward, also shopping for forwards you're going to want one that scores when you already have the ones that hold up and link up well.

You not seen the goals we've scored this season?

And Lafferty wasn't a 'poacher'.

HeartofHartley
Just now, Gumpert said:

How do you know we haven’t enquirered and they’ve given a significantly higher sum? It hasn’t been documented that they would accept 250k, why would any club come out and say aye he’s our best player but we’ll take 250k if anyone fancies it

Because it's Ayr Utd ffs 250k is lots to them.

stranraer-jambo

English teams bid 150k and was turned down. I reckon it's because he plays for Ayr. However they are punching above their weight and he is still scoring. I'm disappointed and underwhelmed by this guy if he is our answer to laff until January. Anyone who wouldn't be is deluded. 

How many times do you have to be told that he is a different player from KL and is NOT a direct replacement for him.

He is more in the SN role, linking up play, but like SN can play up front or in the wide area.

KL was recently occupying the wide area anyway.

And what about Keena? Perhaps he is being considered as the cover player for Uche, MacLean and Naismith.  He appears to have earned the right to show what he can do on his performances and goalscoring. 

6 minutes ago, HeartofHartley said:

Now give me examples of players that never scored much in Scotland playing for a worse team that came to us and scored plenty...?

Rudi Skacel.

1 minute ago, DH1986 said:

Rangers, Aberdeen, Hibs and ourselves all have cash to spend yet chose other options other than Shankland.

I’m guessing this no coincidence.

And Aberdeen released Shankland

Just now, HeartofHartley said:

Because it's Ayr Utd ffs 250k is lots to them.

Guarantee you ayr have never said anything like this, making up pish

...a bit disco
7 minutes ago, HeartofHartley said:

English teams bid 150k and was turned down. I reckon it's because he plays for Ayr. However they are punching above their weight and he is still scoring. I'm disappointed and underwhelmed by this guy if he is our answer to laff until January. Anyone who wouldn't be is deluded. 

Wighton is young, will be seen as a longer term project and is here to develop.

By no means a Lafferty replacement.

The idea is, quite frankly, laffable.

Adam_the_legend
11 minutes ago, HeartofHartley said:

I'm underwhelmed I never said the boy was hopeless. If anyone claims they would rather have this guy over Shankland however is absolutely blinded and narrow minded to everything Levein does.

Firstly, I don’t think he’s being brought in as an out and out striker. Secondly, look at the goalscoring record of Sow or lafferty over the last few years. Hardly prolific. 

HeartofHartley
1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

Ok not a poacher a goalscorer. 

HeartofHartley
2 minutes ago, stranraer-jambo said:

How many times do you have to be told that he is a different player from KL and is NOT a direct replacement for him.

He is more in the SN role, linking up play, but like SN can play up front or in the wide area.

KL was recently occupying the wide area anyway.

And what about Keena? Perhaps he is being considered as the cover player for Uche, MacLean and Naismith.  He appears to have earned the right to show what he can do on his performances and goalscoring. 

I'm not talking about replacement in terms of similarity ffs I'm talking about 1 striker going out and another coming in who isn't as good. If we want to keep this run going we need a better striker than Wighton from now until January which is what i said at the beginning veing disappointed if this is our only striker that we sign till the window closes WHAT IS SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND ABOUT THAT FFS. That goes to everyone

3 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

Firstly, I don’t think he’s being brought in as an out and out striker. Secondly, look at the goalscoring record of Sow or lafferty over the last few years. Hardly prolific. 

3 minutes ago, ...a bit disco said:

Wighton is young, will be seen as a longer term project and is here to develop.

By no means a Lafferty replacement.

The idea is, quite frankly, laffable.

5 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

HeartofHartley
3 minutes ago, Barack said:

Vanecek is Lafferty's replacement. Wighton isn't. 

Our forwards are doing just fine. 

Not quite sure there's any point flogging this particular dead horse. If you want bites, others shall be along to oblige.

I dont want bites i couldnt care. I wanted to say my opinion being we need another striker like Sow/Shankland someone who will score us goals until January when Vanecek comes and that if we don't sign another striker I'll be underwhelmed.

stranraer-jambo

I dont want bites i couldnt care. I wanted to say my opinion being we need another striker like Sow/Shankland someone who will score us goals until January when Vanecek comes and that if we don't sign another striker I'll be underwhelmed.

If CL felt Sow was the same player that we previously had, then he would have been signed without a doubt (it MAY still happen). He obviously isn't of that standard/fitness and I trust CL judgement. 

Seymour M Hersh
4 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

I know Fowler is a good pundit who watches alot of football. But I am surprised at these comments, especially as he has shown plenty of ingenuity as a footballer so far. I think he's jumped to conclusions due to Dundee selling him

I've never read anything by that individual that would make me think this.

Top of the league, massive improvement on signings over the summer, and some folks still finding stuff to moan about.  Could argue we signed Lafferty's replacement before he left - Uche. 

I've been first to criticise transfer policy over past couple of years, as we've signed a pile of shite at times, but January window was a slight improvement, whilst this summer window it appears recruitement has been excellent.  I wasn't sure on Mclean but have already realised he'll be a huge asset to the team.

If our gaffer thinks Wighton can do a job, given the players we've brought in over the summer and the quality they appear to have, I'm struggling to see how anyone can argue.

Edited by HopeDiouf

HeartofHartley
1 minute ago, stranraer-jambo said:

If CL felt Sow was the same player that we previously had, then he would have been signed without a doubt (it MAY still happen). He obviously isn't of that standard/fitness and I trust CL judgement. 

It doesn't have to be Sow but someone that will practically guarantee us goals.

I trust Levein, so all good. Welcome to the famous Craig ?? Do well and you’ll never look back. I’m looking forward to this season more than anything and you’ve joined a cracking squad. All the very best

Not Scottish and came from Marseille. 

Ah, so we had to find a Scottish player that hardly scored elsewhere in Scotland but banged in goals for us.  Any other criteria you need satisfied?

stranraer-jambo

What about Keena?

Just now, HeartofHartley said:

Ah.

I think you’re on to something here......

I’m shocked nobody has thought of this tbh.

HeartofHartley
Just now, HopeDiouf said:

Ah, so we had to find a Scottish player that hardly scored elsewhere in Scotland but banged in goals for us.  Any other criteria you need satisfied?

Well you managed to name 2 that used to score that then came to us and never in Wyness and Reilly so I'm asking you to do the opposite to prove that just because the above scored lots and never for us doesn't mean Shankland won't.

HeartofHartley
1 minute ago, stranraer-jambo said:

What about Keena?

Not the same record as Shankland about a year behind imo. We need someone now.

Well you managed to name 2 that used to score that then came to us and never in Wyness and Reilly so I'm asking you to do the opposite to prove that just because the above scored lots and never for us doesn't mean Shankland won't.

Did I?

Now that you mention Wyness and Reilly.......who's to say Shankland wouldn't be the same.

Edited by HopeDiouf

HeartofHartley
Just now, HopeDiouf said:

Did I?

Sorry wrong user, but if you look at the user that did that's what I was referring to.

2 hours ago, HeartofHartley said:

Yes, but unlike Hartley and others mentioning Souttar the impressiveness of a forward is goals and/or assists. 8 in 93 for a forward is brutal. 

He's young. Many of those 83 appearances will have been from the bench. His 3 league appearances this season have been.

This place is batshit mental.

HeartofHartley
4 minutes ago, HopeDiouf said:

Did I?

Now that you mention Wyness and Reilly.......who's to say Shankland wouldn't be the same.

That was exactly my point except who's to say he would be the same which is what a previous user was suggesting!

stranraer-jambo
6 minutes ago, HeartofHartley said:

Not the same record as Shankland about a year behind imo. We need someone now.

How do you know we have not been trying and have just been outpriced?

By your reckoning we need to buy an established striker from our league or better. That will not be cheap.

And who can guarantee that Shankland will score these goals for us?

Edited by stranraer-jambo
Sp

1 minute ago, JamboJen said:

He's young. Many of those 83 appearances will have been from the bench. His 3 league appearances this season have been.

This place is batshit mental.

Yes yes it is but some posters are more so than others. I think he’s here at a time that he can learn from some good players in a similar mold . He also can play across the front three anywhere apparently which is good to read aswell. 

HeartofHartley
Just now, stranraer-jambo said:

How do you know we have not been trying and have just been outpaced?

By your reckoning we need to buy an established striker from our league or better. That will not be cheap.

And who can guarantee that Shankland will score these goals for us?

Nobody can guarantee anything - that Wighton will be good or bad but signs say that we stand a better chance with him than Wighton. 

We need a loan, Vanecek or a free that has a good enough pedigree not prospects. We need a replacement for laff now and not wait until January.

HeartofHartley
3 minutes ago, sadj said:

Yes yes it is but some posters are more so than others. I think he’s here at a time that he can learn from some good players in a similar mold . He also can play across the front three anywhere apparently which is good to read aswell. 

The Irony, right on time.

stranraer-jambo

Nobody can guarantee anything - that Wighton will be good or bad but signs say that we stand a better chance with him than Wighton. 

We need a loan, Vanecek or a free that has a good enough pedigree not prospects. We need a replacement for laff now and not wait until January.

So you are just speculating?

Wighton may or may not be the answer. 

Shankland may or may not be the answer. 

Glad you cleared that up.

Alex Kintner
17 minutes ago, HeartofHartley said:

Your wife doesn't seem to think so.

Slagging someone’s wife because you’re losing an argument. Stay classy ??

Fuming at this signing!!! Why wasn't HeartOfHartley consulted over this?! Did Hearts even ask for his go ahead?! Forget what Craig Levein thinks about our signings, what does he know?!

The Irony, right on time.

Can’t be constructive don’t quote me , if you take that personally your problem not mine Jen is right this place is batshit mental.

However , It is not my argument that has as many holes as some leerdammer so resorting to comments about others wives is the answer. 

Wighton is clearly not a straight replacement for Lafferty but don’t let that derail your position.

HeartofHartley
10 minutes ago, Barack said:

So, we can't guarantee anything.

Think that sums up the last 30 minutes. Go have your dinner. 

Don't you have someone else to belittle??

26 minutes ago, HopeDiouf said:

Top of the league, massive improvement on signings over the summer, and some folks still finding stuff to moan about.  Could argue we signed Lafferty's replacement before he left - Uche. 

I've been first to criticise transfer policy over past couple of years, as we've signed a pile of shite at times, but January window was a slight improvement, whilst this summer window it appears recruitement has been excellent.  I wasn't sure on Mclean but have already realised he'll be a huge asset to the team.

If our gaffer thinks Wighton can do a job, given the players we've brought in over the summer and the quality they appear to have, I'm struggling to see how anyone can argue.

No place for this sort of common sense on here.

:getout:

HeartofHartley
3 minutes ago, sadj said:

Can’t be constructive don’t quote me , if you take that personally your problem not mine Jen is right this place is batshit mental.

However , It is not my argument that has as many holes as some leerdammer so resorting to comments about others wives is the answer. 

Wighton is clearly not a straight replacement for Lafferty but don’t let that derail your position.

Wow you must be fun at parties when the wife jokes come out. Hint hint - joke. 

And don't let your sense of entitlement derail yours. 

HeartofHartley
1 minute ago, Barack said:

This, from the poster who mentioned another's wife, due to having their argument deconstructed by others?

Aye. I'll be taking advice from your good self.

:lol:

Again, the patter you must have in person I'm sure leaves you with plenty of friends who similarly can't have a little joke now and then. So many stuck up imbeciles on here.

1 hour ago, TheBigO said:

Couple of folk I know who've actually seen him play reckon this is a cracking signing.

Just saying.

It's like a new sort of ITKery!!!

36 minutes ago, HeartofHartley said:

Now give me examples of players that never scored much in Scotland playing for a worse team that came to us and scored plenty...?

It's probably more relevant to remember Dennis Wyness, Gary Wales, Gavin Reilly, Ian Ferguson, Tony Watt, Conor Sammon, John Sutton... we tend to sign strikers who *have* scored goals which is why you won't find many examples of low-scoring strikers we signed who became prolific. By all accounts Wighton can play wide and as more of a Naismith type, which we need in the long term. Luckily he now has the actual Naismith to coach him! Also Shankland had his chance at a top club at the age Wighton is now and he failed. 

Feck sake 

We've just signed another player and folk arguing whether he's any good or no 

For me i see a Hearts side that seems really tight nit with everybody on the same page, everyone working hard for each other 

A perfect place for any player to flourish 

We've no had that in a long while

Just enjoy it 

Let players feet do the talking 

I for one am delighted with recruitment this window and very much looking forward to this season there seems a real cammaradity in this sqaud 

I wanted Levein gone 2 months ago 

Now I'm starting to believe he's building something worth watching 

Believe 

9 minutes ago, HeartofHartley said:

Wow you must be fun at parties when the wife jokes come out. Hint hint - joke. 

And don't let your sense of entitlement derail yours. 

Yup its that self entitlement that myself and others have that was wrong with your argument not the huge holes and lack of logic in it. Or being kind the poor way you conveyed your position. 

Edited by sadj