Craig Wighton signs on 3yr deal (updated)

Vlad the impaler

Bridge of Djoum
1 hour ago, HeartofHartley said:

Really underwhelmed by this signing tbh. Will be really disappointed if this is the only striker we sign between now and Friday which I think it probably will be. 

Still not hiding it I see...

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HeartofHartley

• rudi must stay

• Top Corner

• letsalldothebeattie

Know absolutely nothing about him apart from previous transfer windows mentioning we were interested in him. 

Welcome to the famous, Craig.

georgiehearts66
1 hour ago, Bauld said:

In the same way players like Berra and Hughes have made Souttar better Wighton will come on strong with players like MacLean and Naismith to guide him.

Very much this and as we may only have the latter till the end of this season, the timing is fortuitous.

8 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Which is why we'll probably sign someone, but I don't think it'll be the end of the world if we don't considering Vanacek is coming in in January. As well as Wighton we do have Keena and can even push Naismith up. It really depends how we'll play in certain games. Two senior (three if you include Naismith) and two younger forwards seems pretty normal to me though, thinking back to previous teams. 

Not the end of the world but bringing in Vanecek or another quality striker now could be the difference between us having a phenomenal season and having a decent one. 

8 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Couple of folk I know who've actually seen him play reckon this is a cracking signing.

Just saying.

But is he any good in fifa?

The Internet

Hearts fans must be the most underwhelmed set of people on the planet. Takes a lot to get us whelmed to any degree.

HeartofHartley
36 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Nothing about Hearts whelms you though does it

Many things, look on match day threads. Don't tell me this signing is more exciting than if it was Shankland who would have cost the same. Simple fact pal.

Absolute Scenes
2 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Hearts fans must be the most underwhelmed set of people on the planet. Takes a lot to get us whelmed to any degree.

totally

Do you remember the start of the window? We had signed McLean, Uche and Edwards and some roasters were writing off the season already!

Beggars belief

Auld Reekin'
8 minutes ago, Ferryjambo99 said:

As it stands things are wighton twack

:cool:

f.t.f.y.

MV5BMTllNGM2YmYtNTkxZS00NGQ5LTk0OTktOWFm

Welcome Cwaig!   :icon14:

kingantti1874
1 minute ago, Absolute Scenes said:

totally

Do you remember the start of the window? We had signed McLean, Uche and Edwards and some roasters were writing off the season already!

Beggars belief

Tbf they wete right on edwards.. 1 out of 16 isnt bad ? 

HeartofHartley
14 minutes ago, New York Fleapit said:

Still not hiding it I see...

12 minutes ago, Frank1874 said:

Blatant

Hahahaha sorry I'd rather have a goalscorer at the club that I've said since laff left. Pretty blatant right enough. Not everyone loves absolutely everything the club does you pair, the hearts support and opinions stretches beyond your little imaginations

1 minute ago, HeartofHartley said:

Hahahaha sorry I'd rather have a goalscorer at the club that I've said since laff left. Pretty blatant right enough. Not everyone loves absolutely everything the club does you pair, the hearts support and opinions stretches beyond your little imaginations

Current top scorers

Uche 4 

Naismith 4

MacLean 3 

Not enough?

Selkirkhmfc1874
7 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Spot on 

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

Current top scorers

Uche 4 

Naismith 4

MacLean 3 

Not enough?

Spot on , some just like to draw attention to themselves with negativity 

2 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Not the end of the world but bringing in Vanecek or another quality striker now could be the difference between us having a phenomenal season and having a decent one. 

Agree completely, strike while the iron's hot and all that. Sow on loan or even a one or two year deal would be great. It does seem like we're doing everything possible to get Vanacek in beyond offering them silly money though.

If we don't, I just think back to previous good seasons (85/86 or our 3rds under Levein, even the 2012 cup season) when we had just two or 3 "first choice" strikers with the cover being a much lower quality or largely youngsters. Uche, McLean, Wighton and Naismith, with Keena if we really need a physical presence, should be good for a few months. I could even see Haring being shoved up front Kevin mcKenna style if Uche and Keena are out and we're really desperate for a physical presence up top in a game.

Clark Griswold

:lol: knew the ‘underwhelmed’ chat would surface quickly after confirming this one. He will be given every chance by me to show us what he can do before being underwhelmed. 

Welcome Craig ?

6 minutes ago, HeartofHartley said:

The support also stretches beyond your continual negativity.

15 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Current top scorers

Uche 4 

Naismith 4

MacLean 3 

Not enough?

I would add Naismith to that list

i wish jj was my dad
15 minutes ago, HeartofHartley said:

Plenty of people have an omelette on their coupon from being underwhelmed by our earlier recruitment.

I'd prefer to trust Levein's judgement. He's kinda proven at this sort of thing.

AlphonseCapone
1 hour ago, DH1986 said:

“undisclosed fee”

Cue the uproar.........

Are Dundee fans greeting they deserve answers like some roasters on here? 

I've no idea about this lad but seems like the sort of signing Levein thrives on. Good enough for me. 

50 minutes ago, Supersonic94 said:

I think hes a pacey player who will come on as a sub and finish the game for us.

He’s certainly not pacey.

Selkirkhmfc1874
3 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Plenty of people have an omelette on their coupon from being underwhelmed by our earlier recruitment.

I'd prefer to trust Levein's judgement. He's kinda proven at this sort of thing.

This

HeartofHartley
19 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Current top scorers

Uche 4 

Naismith 4

MacLean 3 

Not enough?

I never said it wasn't enough but we don't have a poacher style forward, also shopping for forwards you're going to want one that scores when you already have the ones that hold up and link up well.

He gives a good interview on Hearts TV, came across confidently and seems like a level headed lad.  Felt he was getting a bit stale at Dundee, didn't think twice when we came in for him.  He's known Soapy for years and has obviously seen how he has developed since coming here.  Hopefully Craig can show similar improvement.

HeartofHartley
5 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

I'm underwhelmed I never said the boy was hopeless. If anyone claims they would rather have this guy over Shankland however is absolutely blinded and narrow minded to everything Levein does.

Fxxx the SPFL
Just now, HeartofHartley said:

I never said it wasn't enough but we don't have a poacher style forward, also shopping for forwards you're going to want one that scores when you already have the ones that hold up and link up well.

If your playing in a crap team your chances will be limited

HeartofHartley
17 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

The support also stretches beyond your continual negativity.

As I said, it's not negative I'd just rather of had Shankland. 

HeartofHartley
1 minute ago, Ray has bus pass hooray said:

If your playing in a crap team your chances will be limited

Please don't start excusing 8 in 93 for a forward. Simple to fix, buy a striker that scores that would have cost the same in Shankland.

adambraejambo

As I said, it's not negative I'd just rather of had Shankland. 

has anyone actually signed him yet . if not why not. 250g is nothing for a player with his ratio unless he has reached his limit...i have no idea never seen him play. Just find it hard to believe if he was any good why nobody has come in for him . 

Please don't start excusing 8 in 93 for a forward. Simple to fix, buy a striker that scores that would have cost the same in Shankland.

How do you know how much Shankland would cost? Just spouting shite 

2 minutes ago, HeartofHartley said:

Excellent idea

Remember how well that worked with Reilly and Wyness

HeartofHartley
Just now, adambraejambo said:

has anyone actually signed him yet . if not why not. 250g is nothing for a player with his ratio unless he has reached his limit...i have no idea never seen him play. Just find it hard to believe if he was any good why nobody has come in for him . 

English teams bid 150k and was turned down. I reckon it's because he plays for Ayr. However they are punching above their weight and he is still scoring. I'm disappointed and underwhelmed by this guy if he is our answer to laff until January. Anyone who wouldn't be is deluded. 

HeartofHartley
1 minute ago, Gumpert said:

How do you know how much Shankland would cost? Just spouting shite 

It's been well documented that Ayr would accept 250k. 

HeartofHartley
1 minute ago, davie1980 said:

Excellent idea

Remember how well that worked with Reilly and Wyness

Now give me examples of players that never scored much in Scotland playing for a worse team that came to us and scored plenty...?

Welcome to Heart Of Midlothian FC Craig - 

I am sure I speak for us all, the whelmed and the underwhelmed  by wishing you a successful career with this famous club.

HeartofHartley
1 minute ago, adambraejambo said:

that's what I mean. If 250grand  was a total that Ayr would accept why has not 1 club matched it yet. 

I don't have the answer to that. Why have we not went for it and went for someone who hardly scores?

The Championship is littered with strikers who score for fun at that level and can't step up. Nicky Clark, Cummings, Keatings, Reilly... who knows if Shankland would buck the trend. He's 23 and is only now having a high scoring season for a striker.

Wighton has only just turned 21. Let's see what he can do with much, much better players around him. In any case, not sure Wighton has been signed to play for us as a main striker no matter how his previous clubs played him.