Craig Wighton signs on 3yr deal (updated)

Vlad the impaler

By the light
On 29/08/2018 at 15:30, tokyowalnut said:

Deal all but done. Medical tomorrow, training with players tomorrow and should be done and dusted and announced by the end of play tomorrow. 

Well played. 

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HeartofHartley

• rudi must stay

• Top Corner

• letsalldothebeattie

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, Lambo85 said:

So if we are chasing the game and needing a goal then there is not much point in bringing him off the bench?

Whats his assists like? Does he make space for other players, does he close down defenders quickly.  All qualities that a striker needs too

Yes cause the stats of Uche were great before he went to Cambridge! The lad is only 21! Playing in a shite team not always as a forward. Let’s give the lad a chance. Before his injury he had many clubs after him so clearly they seen something in him also. Lets be honest if we didn’t sign him, in a couple years if he developed into a class player, fans would be on here saying “why didn’t we sign him”! 

Exactly the type of signing I like to see us making. Low risk, big potential returns. By all accounts Wighton is not an out and out forward even if that's how he's been played by teams that don't have a lot of other options up front and not a lot of creativity in midfield (that's also important as strikers need service). Gavin Rae compared him to Aaron Ramsey in style so he sounds like more of an attacking midfielder type potentially. Levein of course has previous at finding the best position for his players and transforming their careers, Haring being the latest, so it'll be interesting to see where he sees him fitting in.

People need to realise that what he has done in the past is irrelevant. 

What matters now is what he does in the future. 

If Hearts is the right fit for the player he will do well. 

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

Like this type of signing. Haven’t seen much of him but I like us taking a punt on highly regarded scottish talent.

Just now, PB21 said:

Yes cause the stats of Uche were great before he went to Cambridge! The lad is only 21! Playing in a shite team not always as a forward. Let’s give the lad a chance. Before his injury he had many clubs after him so clearly they seen something in him also. Lets be honest if we didn’t sign him, in a couple years if he developed into a class player, fans would be on here saying “why didn’t we sign him”! 

I dont think this is a bad signing, I just think the problem is that we were expecting a player to come in that would replace Kyle Lafferty. An Osman Sow type player (can understand why we didnt sign Sow), not a young development / project player.

Just now, Lambo85 said:

I dont think this is a bad signing, I just think the problem is that we were expecting a player to come in that would replace Kyle Lafferty. An Osman Sow type player (can understand why we didnt sign Sow), not a young development / project player.

We may yet sign Sow and we have the big Czech coming in.

4 minutes ago, Lambo85 said:

With the news being that we were expecting 2-3 to come in when mcphee was I interviewed earlier, do you not think that this is an 'as well as a striker' rather than wighton being that man? 

Edited by Gav M

Spoke to a few Dundee fans today about him with a mixed response. Anyway, welcome Craig and I hope we can get the best out of him here.

Special Agent Dale Cooper

He's clearly not a replacement for Lafferty. 

Just now, Special Agent Dale Cooper said:

If that is the case and with the Sow deal looking dead and with Vanecek still in the Czech Republic, it doesnt look as if we are bringing in a Lafferty replacement then?

Why do people seem disappointed about him not being a replacement for Lafferty. Although you never get exactly like for like, surely Uche or Vanecek (when he comes) are more like a replacement fro Lafferty. Wighton is simply an extra player that has potential we hope to realise.

Special Agent Dale Cooper
3 minutes ago, Lambo85 said:

If that is the case and with the Sow deal looking dead and with Vanecek still in the Czech Republic, it doesnt look as if we are bringing in a Lafferty replacement then?

Well there seem to be murmurs on here that Vanacek will be signing tomorrow... Guess we will have to wait a whole 24 hours to find out. If he doesn't I think Uche, MacLean and Keana is still a decent trio to get us through to January. And Naismith can play up front too. 

Edited by Special Agent Dale Cooper

5 minutes ago, Special Agent Dale Cooper said:

No, he's not, he's more of an understudy to Naisy. 

Probably not. It may well be that the opportunity to get Wighton, a long term target, only presented itself this week and that has changed the priorities. Looking at the longer term with Vanacek definitely coming in I am comfortable with that. Spunking most of your money on short term solutions is the Sevco way.

Edited by Jodami

chuck berrys hairline

Underwhelmed tbh and this is what we spend the Lafferty money on. Here's hoping he improves from what I've seen of him 

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

Really need to get Vanacek in tomorrow. Happy with this signing though, will step up to the next level having better players around him and Levein guiding him.

3 minutes ago, HoGwash said:

Why do people seem disappointed about him not being a replacement for Lafferty. Although you never get exactly like for like, surely Uche or Vanecek (when he comes) are more like a replacement fro Lafferty. Wighton is simply an extra player that has potential we hope to realise.

We need to replace Lafferty though.

1 minute ago, chuck berrys hairline said:

Underwhelmed tbh and this is what we spend the Lafferty money on. Here's hoping he improves from what I've seen of him 

Hopefully theres more laff money than 250k!!!!

We effectively replaced Lafferty at the start of the season, with Uche. Or so Levein's team choices suggested. When Laff did play he was played in more of a supporting or wide forward role, which it sounds like Wighton could play. Who knows. Wouldn't be surprised if we bring Vanacek or Sow or someone else in too as more of a target man option.

2 minutes ago, chuck berrys hairline said:

Same...lets hope he proves us wrong..anyway welcome aboard Craig

1 minute ago, chuck berrys hairline said:

I reckon a fraction of the Lafferty money has been spent on Wighton, a lad with a bright future ahead of him. 

We have a lot of good options in forward areas, and with Vanecek still to come in, Lafferty won't be missed imo.

3 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

We need to replace Lafferty though.

You could argue that we replaced him with Uche given that he has taken over the role of main central striker.

39 minutes ago, HeartofHartley said:

Really underwhelmed by this signing tbh. Will be really disappointed if this is the only striker we sign between now and Friday which I think it probably will be. 

Nothing about Hearts whelms you though does it

Quite excited by this tbh. There were teams bigger than us sniffing around him before his injury, hopefully we can bring the best out in him. Welcome. 

19 minutes ago, Lambo85 said:

Uche and MacLean replaced Lafferty.

Really like this signing. Exactly the type we should be bringing in and I am sure Levein and the coaching staff can bring the best out of him

The Wrinkly Ninja
19 minutes ago, Lambo85 said:

Lafferty only scored 10 in 89 games for Burnley before he signed for old Rangers aged 21.

7 minutes ago, HoGwash said:

You could argue that we replaced him with Uche given that he has taken over the role of main central striker.

Need more than 2 senior strikers. Especially when we play with two a lot of the time.  Even when we had Lafferty we wanted Vanecek as well. What we have at the moment isn't strong enough to keep us going until Vanecek comes in January. If Uche gets injured we're in a world of poo.

Edited by Cruyff Turn

Fitzroy Pointon
19 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

A young Scottish lad, capped at various levels and the type of signing many bleated on about us not signing for a long time yet some are underwhelmed and worrued.

Talk about glass half empty. Thank feck I am positive. It must be a shite existence moaning all the time. 

Give him a chance. 

Well said Jonno. 

Needs more expletives though! 

4 minutes ago, HoGwash said:

Not really. It’s about depth. 

We backed ourselves into a corner in January regards strikers and were very lucky Lafferty never got injured. 

McLean is older and already being cherry picked for certain games. 

We need another solid striker so we can set up like we saw in the Celtic game.

I hope we aren’t gambling on getting to January unscathed and relying on who we have now to keep providing before we get in another forward. 

1 minute ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Need more than 2 senior strikers. Especially when we play with two a lot of the time.  Even when we had Lafferty we wanted Vanecek as well. What we have at the moment isn't strong enough to keep us going until Vanecek comes in January. If Uche gets injured we're in a world of poo.

I don't disagree, I also think we need another one if Vanecek doesn't arrive this week. However I think we have replaced Lafferty's position, it's just that we need backup which we didn't have last year.

A_A wehatethehibs

Good bit of business for Hearts, Dundee and the player. 

Think Dundee need to get themselves organised and start parking buses to dig out results. Wighton a bit more of a flair player. Hopefully he takes it to another level at Tynecastle, good Scottish prospect. 

Just now, HoGwash said:

I don't disagree, I also think we need another one if Vanecek doesn't arrive this week. However I think we have replaced Lafferty's position, it's just that we need backup which we didn't have last year.

Ok, got you. Steven MacLean is the back-up but I'm sure Uche will be in and out as well if he has two games in a row like he did against Dunfermline. It's about competition and keeping players consistent and playing for places, that's why we need another striker. Whether that's Vanecek or not, who knows. 

I still think we need another striker. 

Wighton seems more like backup/future replacement for Naismith and not an out and out striker...like Sow or Vanecek.

4 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Which is why we'll probably sign someone, but I don't think it'll be the end of the world if we don't considering Vanacek is coming in in January. As well as Wighton we do have Keena and can even push Naismith up. It really depends how we'll play in certain games. Two senior (three if you include Naismith) and two younger forwards seems pretty normal to me though, thinking back to previous teams.