Craig Wighton signs on 3yr deal (updated)

Vlad the impaler

17 minutes ago, BobbyJenkins said:

Pumped out, belt up lol

I'd be interested to know the success rate of players we've loaned out and have came back to secure a regular first team place. 

Edited by Top Corner

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HeartofHartley

• rudi must stay

• Top Corner

• letsalldothebeattie

BobbyJenkins
1 minute ago, Top Corner said:

I'd be interested to know the success rate of players we've loaned out and have came back to secure a regular first team place. 

Away n do some research then :)

The Apprentice
40 minutes ago, Top Corner said:

He's been pumped out on loan mate lol

Well that settles it then.  18 year old comes over from part-time football on a 3-year contract and is loaned to a fellow Premiership club for regular first-team football = not good enough for us.

You have to be at the wind up.

rudi must stay
2 minutes ago, Top Corner said:

In recent years:

Marcus Godinho

Robbie Neilson

Calumn Morrison (possibly)

Ryan McGowan

Dylan McGowan

Not great if your looking for stats, but it's all down to the player themselves. Neilson said it toughened him up as a player and was the best thing that could have happened to his career

The Wrinkly Ninja
Just now, rudi must stay said:

In recent years:

Marcus Godinho

Robbie Neilson

Ryan McGowan

Dylan McGowan

Not great if your looking for stats, but it's all down to the player themselves. Neilson said it toughened him up as a player and was the best thing that could have happened to his career

You can add Craig Gordon, Jamie walker and Holt to that list

We_are_the_Hearts
1 minute ago, rudi must stay said:

In recent years:

Marcus Godinho

Robbie Neilson

Ryan McGowan 

Dylan McGowan 

Jamie Walker

3 minutes ago, Top Corner said:

Robbie Neilson, Ryan McGowan, Jamie Walker, Jason Holt are examples 

Probably quite a low success rate. Also players are sent on loan these days once we decide they are not good enough. Not just for development. 

We_are_the_Hearts
10 minutes ago, Top Corner said:

Willie Bauld ?

rudi must stay
Just now, Mikey1874 said:

Probably quite a low success rate. Also players are sent on loan these days once we decide they are not good enough. Not just for development. 

I don't see it like that. They are loaned out and if they do well that moves them higher up in the pecking order. We will always pick a promising youngster over signing a player, but you really want them to stand out in a lower league as the standard is alot worse

FarmerTweedy
11 hours ago, geomac said:

114 is no bad, getting a couple of pars with that?

Parred the first! :robboyas:

9 at the 2nd.:lenny:

12 at the 12th. :jj_facepalm:

Blackpool tae Gorgie
1 hour ago, Top Corner said:

I can see why you only have 5 posts. 

No you cannot see why i have only 5 posts,i only joined this forum 2 days ago.

I have my own opinions and will post what i think.

Jambo, Goodbye
2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

We loaned out Jamie Mac to QotS. He returned established enough to win is a cup :smugger:

Just now, rudi must stay said:

I don't see it like that. They are loaned out and if they do well that moves them higher up in the pecking order. We will always pick a promising youngster over signing a player, but you really want them to stand out in a lower league as the standard is alot worse

Conor Sammon is on loan

Ally Roy, Angus Beith, Nikolay Todorov, Harry Paton were all loaned out last season with no prospect of playing for Hearts again. 

The loan deals help players get to a club on a longer term, whether that is with Hearts or elsewhere. 

It's important for Hearts in terms of recruitment that we are a good thing for players who join our club.  That may mean players move on, but as long as that is in the best interests of the player, then that is good for Hearts too in the long run.

4 minutes ago, Blackpool tae Gorgie said:

No you cannot see why i have only 5 posts,i only joined this forum 2 days ago.

I have my own opinions and will post what i think.

Good on you, well said.

14 minutes ago, The Apprentice said:

Well that settles it then.  18 year old comes over from part-time football on a 3-year contract and is loaned to a fellow Premiership club for regular first-team football = not good enough for us.

You have to be at the wind up.

Good chance they're not

25 minutes ago, Top Corner said:

Jamie Walker

:)

Special Agent Dale Cooper
13 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

Parred the first! :robboyas:

9 at the 2nd.:lenny:

12 at the 12th. :jj_facepalm:

Sounds like one of Garcia's rounds recently...

Steve_Jersey_HMFC
3 hours ago, Top Corner said:

He lacks acceleration, power and crossing ability to play as an out-and-out winger. He’s not big enough to operate at the head of the attack. And while technically very good, he doesn’t yet have the ingenuity of a playmaking No.10.

Well that's good to know. 

I know I read that EEN article earlier, doesn't fill one with confidence. In a good team and with his talent nurtured he could do well, but we've all been hoping for a Sow/Vanychek so hence why a lot are underwhelmed at Wighton.

Also, our record with young strikers (if that is going to be his position) from lower league isn't great (Wyness, Reilly, Muirhead...), hopefully this one turns out better

The Wrinkly Ninja
1 minute ago, Steve_Jersey_HMFC said:

I know I read that EEN article earlier, doesn't fill one with confidence. In a good team and with his talent nurtured he could do well, but we've all been hoping for a Sow/Vanychek so hence why a lot are underwhelmed at Wighton.

Also, our record with young strikers (if that is going to be his position) from lower league isn't great (Wyness, Reilly, Muirhead...), hopefully this one turns out better

Equally our record when signing forwards from Dundee when they are not in a lower league is pretty good!

Anyway Bobby Burns is one of Ireland’s top prospects - with us getting Man Utd’s reserve player of the year it makes complete sense for him to go on loan to another SPL team...

People do realise that if we sign wighton its not as a replacement for lafferty. This is a young lad we have been looking at for a number of seasons and have decided that now is the best time for the club to try and get him.  This deal will be an aside to anything else we are doing on the striker front.

Fxxx the SPFL

Our first captain in 1874 Jake 'three fingers Reid was loaned out Larkhall Loyal FC (flute club) but struggled to get a game.  ;)

Toxteth O'Grady
6 minutes ago, Ray has bus pass hooray said:

Our first captain in 1874 Jake 'three fingers Reid was loaned out Larkhall Loyal FC (flute club) but struggled to get a game.  ;)

Totally unsuited to playing flute if he only has 3 fingers 

rudi must stay
40 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Conor Sammon is on loan

Ally Roy, Angus Beith, Nikolay Todorov, Harry Paton were all loaned out last season with no prospect of playing for Hearts again. 

All of them didn't do much. If Todorov had done well for Livi, a good loan move, he'd have been given a new deal. Same with the rest of them, looked at Morrison. He did well at Stirling and for the reserves, and he's now in the first team..

Edited by rudi must stay

EasternRossco
5 minutes ago, Muppetboy said:

Anyone with decent first hand knowledge of this boy? 

Was an excellent prospect before his injury, only coming back to full fitness again now so question marks if it's affected him. Very highly rated at Dundee but a square peg in a round hole for current relegation dogfight.

I don't know a lot about him but people who do seem to rate him very highly. As always I'll wait until I've seen him play for us if he signs. I'd trust our management team to get the best out of him

LarrysRightFoot

On his wiki his style of play is described by Gavin Rae as being similar to Aaron Ramsey.  Some more a 8 or a 10 than a striker. Long term replacement for Naismith? I’m sure he will learn a lot from SN.

This the John Souttar deal mk2. If Wighton was playing in a team doing well and kicking on personally Dundee would be after half a million minimum, which would be out of our price range. Taking a gamble on his early potential, at a wage no doubt far lower than a Jamie Walker for example, is a calculated risk. Fingers crossed. 

rudi must stay

"talent young Scottish player and we want talented young Scottish players at Hearts"

"Hopeful of him signing"

Went as far as to say he'd be involved on Saturday. Sounds very close making a comment like that

1 hour ago, Gav M said:

People do realise that if we sign wighton its not as a replacement for lafferty. This is a young lad we have been looking at for a number of seasons and have decided that now is the best time for the club to try and get him.  This deal will be an aside to anything else we are doing on the striker front.

This.

Regardless of whether or not we get Wighton in, we will most likely still be looking for a replacement for Lafferty - hence the desire to get Vanecek in early. However if Teplice don’t get a replacement then we won’t be getting him until January, and it looks like the Sow deal is dead. I wonder if we have someone else lined up that nobody’s mentioned. If Uche gets an injury then we’re ****** so hopefully we have a back up plan.

upgotheheads
2 hours ago, Jammy T said:

Anyway Bobby Burns is one of Ireland’s top prospects - with us getting Man Utd’s reserve player of the year it makes complete sense for him to go on loan to another SPL team...

The fact that he's gone to a Premier League team rather than the Championship or lower tells us something about how he's rated by our coaches.

They're obviously happy that he'll thrive at that level.

rudi must stay
5 hours ago, Top Corner said:

He lacks acceleration, power and crossing ability to play as an out-and-out winger. He’s not big enough to operate at the head of the attack. And while technically very good, he doesn’t yet have the ingenuity of a playmaking No.10.

Well that's good to know. 

I know Fowler is a good pundit who watches alot of football. But I am surprised at these comments, especially as he has shown plenty of ingenuity as a footballer so far. I think he's jumped to conclusions due to Dundee selling him

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Gav M said:

Big DV is quite clearly Lafferty’s replacement. 

Wighton sounds more of a prospect as you say and a replacement for Milinkovic. 

Edited by WeeChuck'sHeed

14 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

This. One for the future,

I P Knightley
2 hours ago, Ray has bus pass hooray said:

13 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Was he any good, Ray ??

One of the messiest autographs I've ever seen :D

Fxxx the SPFL
1 minute ago, I P Knightley said:

One of the messiest autographs I've ever seen :D

He was able to do the 3-1 though :D

rudi must stay
32 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

Think so too. But not when he was on the wing, when he was in the middle