Craig Wighton signs on 3yr deal (updated)

Vlad the impaler

1 hour ago, Legend Claws said:

Source?

A player.

I also spotted him and his agent at the hotel at Heriot Watt this afternoon.

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HeartofHartley

• rudi must stay

• Top Corner

• letsalldothebeattie

Selkirkhmfc1874
22 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

Ok quick question round:

Wighton or Walker?

:)

Don't want walker , will back the club's recruitment which been great this summer 

letsalldothebeattie
2 hours ago, tokyowalnut said:

Deal all but done. Medical tomorrow, training with players tomorrow and should be done and dusted and announced by the end of play tomorrow. 

If true good to know

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Martin on hearing his name and loan in the same sentence:

tenor.gif

???

42 minutes ago, tokyowalnut said:

A player.

I also spotted him and his agent at the hotel at Heriot Watt this afternoon.

How would anyone recognise this player, unless he was already wearing his new Hearts shirt with name on he back?

Genuine question. 

3 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

How would anyone recognise this player, unless he was already wearing his new Hearts shirt with name on he back?

Genuine question. 

Those gnashers are hard to miss

Салатные палочки
31 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Martin on hearing his name and loan in the same sentence:

tenor.gif

:laugh:

1 hour ago, Jammy T said:

Ok quick question round:

Wighton or Walker?

:)

Wighton hands down. Walker downed tools whilst still a hearts player, pushed for a move to a rival, had a dubious sending off prior to playing said rival and career looks to be on the fritz with him having already probably played the best football of his career. Wighton on the other hand is another Cathro product like Souttar and Gauld and I recall Levein being in for him on at least one other occasion so the boys clearly got promise. A few have mentioned similarities with Naismith and a long term replacement is quite exciting. 

1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

Genuine question. 

I recognised him from reading the BBC article, otherwise I would never have recognised him. 

I didn't realise WIghton was another graduate of Cathro's coaching school, and another who made his first team debut at 16.

Unknown user
6 minutes ago, RobNox said:

I didn't realise WIghton was another graduate of Cathro's coaching school, and another who made his first team debut at 16.

I read an old article on Cathro's school a while ago. The four players it looked at who were there at the time were Ryan Gauld, John Souttar, Craig Wighton and Euan Spark, he's in the lower leagues now

vlad on the tyne

I'm all for bringing good players to the club but I don't currently see Wighton as a player who will make a significant difference.  We need upgrades on what we have to keep on improving, is Wighton an upgrade? 

24 minutes ago, vlad on the tyne said:

I'm all for bringing good players to the club but I don't currently see Wighton as a player who will make a significant difference.  We need upgrades on what we have to keep on improving, is Wighton an upgrade? 

I think we are looking at Wighton for his development potential.

When we bought Souttar he had been stagnating a bit at Dundee Utd after showing great early potential.  He has come on leaps and bounds with us and it now looks like a fantastic piece of business we did to get him here for a relatively modest fee.

If we could get even close to seeing that sort of improvement in Wighton, we could have another gem on our hands.

i wish jj was my dad
28 minutes ago, vlad on the tyne said:

Maybe not immediately but then neither were Levein, Webster, Hartley, Stevo etc when they signed.

10 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Maybe not immediately but then neither were Levein, Webster, Hartley, Stevo etc when they signed.

That's a good point.  Levein and Webster were raw talents when they arrived but benefited from playing alongside talented and experienced defensive partners in Jardine and Pressley.  Hartley was given a new lease of life when we switched him from playing wide into a central midfield position.

If Wighton still has the potential and desire to improve then there's probably no better club for him to come to.  He'll know Souttar from their time together at Cathro's coaching school, and he'll see how Souttar has developed to the point of getting a Scotland call up.  Hopefully, that will give him the motivation and belief to try and emulate Souttar's success.

Selkirkhmfc1874
56 minutes ago, vlad on the tyne said:

There's a reason your posting your opinion on a fans forum and that's because your not qualified to identify a football player 

59 minutes ago, vlad on the tyne said:

I don't think we do

Obviously improvement is always welcome.

But we have quality right through the first team and bench.

The final position I felt we needed extra quality was the slot filled by Mitchell.

We now need 2 more players in positions where we have quality but are perhaps lacking cover, centre back and striker.

With Berra, Souttar, Hughes and Dunne we have capable options but the injury to Berra and Hughes age/fitness mean we could probably be doing with another option. That's perhaps why we feel we can take a risk on another 38 year old that won't be able to play 40 games a season.

Up top, with Uche, MacLean, Naismith we have quality, we know we have Vanacek coming in at worst in January. Wighton gives us another option, perhaps a slightly different style and the potential to have perhaps picked up a star on the cheap (like souttar)

He also has that versatility to play any of the 3 roles behind a front man.

Given people have said they don't feel we have another option behind Naismith as a no10 and some feel we could do with a little more at right mid, he ticks a few boxes without maybe being a huge improvement in any one position right now.

Sow, who is also a gamble and is also not a guaranteed starter/improvement, ticks those boxes too.

Doesn't need to start every game, can cover wide positions etc

13 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

There's a reason your posting your opinion on a fans forum and that's because your not qualified to identify a football player 

?

Harsh

We're all on here giving our opinion.

He's as entitled to his opinion that Wighton isn't good enough as you or I have to ours....

Just that his is wrong is all

FarmerTweedy
23 hours ago, portobellojambo1 said:

True :)

If I'm paying a fixed fee for internet access I like to get my money's worth :)

I have the same attitude to golf - at least that's my excuse for shooting 114 on Monday! 

1 hour ago, FarmerTweedy said:

I have the same attitude to golf - at least that's my excuse for shooting 114 on Monday! 

9 Hole Course???

1 hour ago, FarmerTweedy said:

114 is no bad, getting a couple of pars with that?

Bridge of Djoum
5 hours ago, FarmerTweedy said:

4 hours ago, colinmaroon said:

9 Hole Course???

Would that qualify as a ''MASS'' shooting, Colin?

Can Djoum not play in the number 10 role? Having said that, is this the last year of his contract? If so, maybe not a long term option, though maybe he'll stick around when we're playing in the Champions League next season!

Clerry Jambo

Hearts locked in talks to sign Craig Wighton

Anthony Brown
4 minutes

952249513?-347:821
Craig Wighton
Craig Wighton

Published: 06:30 Thursday 30 August 2018

Hearts were last night locked in negotiations with Dundee in a bid to agree a transfer fee for Craig Wighton.

The Tynecastle club are keen to sign the attacker before the transfer window closes tomorrow night, with manager Craig Levein a long-time admirer of the highly-regarded 21-year-old.

Dundee are seeking a six-figure sum for Wighton, a homegrown player who is under contract until next summer. Hearts are hopeful of striking a deal and then opening talks with the player as they look to augment their strikeforce following the sale of Kyle Lafferty to Rangers last week.

Wighton is open to continuing his career in Edinburgh after being unable to build on his early promise at his boyhood club. Most of his past season was written off by a serious knee injury but he has featured in all of Dundee’s competitive matches this season, albeit restricted to a substitute role in each of their three Premiership fixtures thus far.

Wighton has scored nine goals in 88 appearances for Dundee since making his debut as a 16-year-old in the 2013/14 season. He has also spent time on loan at Raith Rovers and Brechin City.

Hearts are also keen to recruit a centre-back before tomorrow’s transfer deadline, with Northern Irish veteran Gareth McAuley and 26-year-old Fleetwood Town defender Cian Bolger among those in the frame.

Exciting young player, plenty ability and potential, he is the right age and already developed physically with first team experience. Previous history of serious knee injury makes it a bit of a gamble but he will be well checked over and the lad seemed to have a good attitude, when he came back from injury, seemingly wanting to go hard into challenges. He has always been highly regarded and could just be a gem. We may get a taster from the bench on Saturday. Could not Edwards go the other way as he does not seem to figure in our plans, do not really know the reason behind his current status at our club.

He lacks acceleration, power and crossing ability to play as an out-and-out winger. He’s not big enough to operate at the head of the attack. And while technically very good, he doesn’t yet have the ingenuity of a playmaking No.10.

Well that's good to know. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
11 hours ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

You are Gordon Strapon and I claim £5.

Geoff Kilpatrick
11 hours ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Edited by Geoff Kilpatrick
Double

Guess The Crowd
1 hour ago, Clerry Jambo said:

Hearts locked in talks to sign Craig Wighton

Anthony Brown
4 minutes

952249513?-347:821
Craig Wighton
Craig Wighton

Published: 06:30 Thursday 30 August 2018

Hearts were last night locked in negotiations with Dundee in a bid to agree a transfer fee for Craig Wighton.

The Tynecastle club are keen to sign the attacker before the transfer window closes tomorrow night, with manager Craig Levein a long-time admirer of the highly-regarded 21-year-old.

Dundee are seeking a six-figure sum for Wighton, a homegrown player who is under contract until next summer. Hearts are hopeful of striking a deal and then opening talks with the player as they look to augment their strikeforce following the sale of Kyle Lafferty to Rangers last week.

Wighton is open to continuing his career in Edinburgh after being unable to build on his early promise at his boyhood club. Most of his past season was written off by a serious knee injury but he has featured in all of Dundee’s competitive matches this season, albeit restricted to a substitute role in each of their three Premiership fixtures thus far.

Wighton has scored nine goals in 88 appearances for Dundee since making his debut as a 16-year-old in the 2013/14 season. He has also spent time on loan at Raith Rovers and Brechin City.

Hearts are also keen to recruit a centre-back before tomorrow’s transfer deadline, with Northern Irish veteran Gareth McAuley and 26-year-old Fleetwood Town defender Cian Bolger among those in the frame.

Whoever said he looked like Craig Nelson wasn't wrong!

14 hours ago, OTT said:

Wighton hands down. Walker downed tools whilst still a hearts player, pushed for a move to a rival, had a dubious sending off prior to playing said rival and career looks to be on the fritz with him having already probably played the best football of his career. Wighton on the other hand is another Cathro product like Souttar and Gauld and I recall Levein being in for him on at least one other occasion so the boys clearly got promise. A few have mentioned similarities with Naismith and a long term replacement is quite exciting. 

Agree with this. I dont want Walker back at Hearts.

Terrible attitude and never tried a leg for about a year before he left us.

Found out at Wigan. No suprise there.

Edited by Lambo85

Blackpool tae Gorgie

As usual i will reserve judgement till i see him in the maroon jersey.

4 minutes ago, Blackpool tae Gorgie said:

I can see why you only have 5 posts. 

INNERLEITHEN HMFC 1874
1 minute ago, Blackpool tae Gorgie said:

Yep me as well seasider its the only way.

INNERLEITHEN HMFC 1874
2 minutes ago, Top Corner said:

I can see why you only have 5 posts. 

Why can you see why he has only 5 posts,a few on here said big Uche was a dud before they seen him.

Ah well you will know i suppose.

The Apprentice
23 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

Are people on here honestly writing off a 21 year old? 

One of those in question has written off an 18 year old Bobby Burns on a separate thread after only 4 appearances!

27 minutes ago, The Apprentice said:

One of those in question has written off an 18 year old Bobby Burns on a separate thread after only 4 appearances!

He's been pumped out on loan mate lol

The Wrinkly Ninja
40 minutes ago, INNERLEITHEN HMFC 1874 said:

Why can you see why he has only 5 posts,a few on here said big Uche was a dud before they seen him.

Ah well you will know i suppose.

Because he was talking sense......that’s not how things are done around here.....hence the low post count!!!

In our price structure this is the types of players we need to go for. we can't afford massive fee's so when a young talent comes up when hes maybe lost his way or form we will act 

It may work out it may not but in the current climate of Scottish football I'm more than happy to take a chance on players like Wighton 

Good luck to the lad signing for a club this size might be exactly what he needs 

Just now, Robbo-Jambo said:

More important to get Vanacek or Sow, if fit in before the window shuts.

If Sow was going to sign then he would have done so already. We must have some serious concerns over his fitness.

Id like to see Vanacek come in now but that is looking more and more unlikely.