Craig Wighton signs on 3yr deal (updated)

Vlad the impaler

Thought Police

The Dundee telegraph made the point that the last player we plucked from that City is about to become a Scotland international. Don’t forget Souttar was seriously out of favour at United before we basically saved his career. Not every signing needs to be an overnight success.

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HeartofHartley

• rudi must stay

• Top Corner

• letsalldothebeattie

29 minutes ago, Bauld said:

The sun could report the pope Catholic and I would still be using Google to confirm. 

The Sun, although a disgusting organisation, are almost always spot on with any transfer news regarding Hearts.

jamboinglasgow
9 minutes ago, The_razors_edge said:

This is almost word for word what my Dundee supporting mate said. He also said Hartley ruined him and set his development back around 3 years. Definitely one with potential 

Certainly is still highly rated, has not had a great time with Dundee and injuries. The Souttar comparison is a good one. Sometimes a change of club can make a big difference, especially if that new club has a plan on how to develop them (Souttar said just after signing for us that he was really impressed when he sat down to discuss terms that we already have a detailed plan for how we would develop him.) Mix it with a confident team (which Dundee have been anything but since they were promoted) and one which quality players. Also we have depth so can drop him in and out of the team if needed.

Also see the Sun say we are paying £250k for him, so to me that shows how much we believe that he is worth signing.

5 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Probably means

1. More confident vanecek deal will be completed :)

2. No osman Sow :(

Be delighted with that outcome. 

16 minutes ago, brux said:

He will not make it at hearts unfortunately, not good enough.

Have to agree,Keena must be wondering what’s going on.

2 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

The Sun, although a disgusting organisation, are almost always spot on with any transfer news regarding Hearts.

True on both counts

Edited by RobNox

Fort Vallance

Looked a decent prospect 3 years ago but gone sideways/backwards. I think he got a fairly long term injury as he was interesting a few clubs. CL obviously sees potential. I'll give him a chance but Gavin Reilly springs to mind as a comparison.

5 minutes ago, ...a bit disco said:

Why?

We are bursting at the seams. Too many new players and this boy is not better than what we have. Mitchell was.

13 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

80 games, 7 goals. Prolific.

10 in 100. 

I know nowt about the lad. He must be in midfield surely? Cant be an out and out striker with those stats?

kingantti1874
Just now, i8hibsh said:

We are bursting at the seams. Too many new players and this boy is not better than what we have. Mitchell was.

I think we are signing potential and wouldn't expext him to play every week

...a bit disco
1 minute ago, i8hibsh said:

If Oor Craig sees something in him though?

Bazzas right boot

Just seen he is in the Scotland squad as well.

throwing money at international players, that's our style.

8 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Please no.

Please Yes

7 minutes ago, JJ93 said:

Is he a WINGER or a STRIKER ? 

Winger

and a good one

Alex Kintner
16 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

80 games, 7 goals. Prolific.

More of an attacking midfielder apparently. Seen him referred to as the “Scottish Aaron Ramsay” in an article before ??

5 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

We need another striker. Can’t go with just Uche, Maclean and Keena.

Edited by 8skacel8

If we get this lad and Hibs get Kamara then Dundee must be stick on for relegation and wee Neil will be back doing TV commentary by the end of September!

Gorgie_Rules

Was regarded as having a lot of potential a couple of years ago, seems to have gone quiet since but could be down to injuries and manager(s) opting for more experience in attack.

If we can progress him could well be a shrewd signing. 

3 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Seems to me we’re building a squad for the next 2 or 3 years, not just this season. The odd 70-100 grand or whatever on a prospect is worth it IMO. Even if we get only 1 like Souttar in 3 or 4 the return is worth it. I also like giving young players a chance and platform - see also Mulraney just now.

Remember we nearly signed him under Robbie but Hartley brought him on as a sub which meant he wouodnt be able to play for us that season due to 3 team rule. Apparently against his boards wishes cos he didnt want to sell him

5 minutes ago, Brian Badonde said:

I was listening to the terrace podcast and they reckon Dundee paid a six figure sum to us for Jack Hamilton. 

That would be something! Celtic paid a six figure sum for Larson and more recently Dembele, football is a strange old game sometimes. 

Bazzas right boot
13 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

We're loaded.

Don't worry.

Probably need another option up top as well, and if he can also play wide then the jobs a good one.

Young lad is also in the Scotland squad.

Kind of signing we need to make when the jury is still out, if he has a great season , then he'd be out of our range and we lose out. we need to get them low in their development cycle ( or recovering form poor form i.e Souttar) before their stock is too high or we lose out to the OF or some bamed up league 1 or 2 team from down south.

£100 odd k is nothing to us?

Edited by WeeChuck'sHeed

8 minutes ago, 8skacel8 said:

We need another striker. Can’t go with just Uche, Maclean and Keena.

Vanacek?

Brian Badonde
1 minute ago, Mr Elwood P said:

That would be something! Celtic paid a six figure sum for Larson and more recently Dembele, football is a strange old game sometimes. 

I was assuming that included two decimal places.......

wattie exploited

HEARTS are set to complete the £250,000 signing of Dundee striker Craig Wighton. according to the sun ? has anyone heard of this guy !:wattie:

Romanov Stole My Pension
4 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Seems to me we’re building a squad for the next 2 or 3 years, not just this season. The odd 70-100 grand or whatever on a prospect is worth it IMO. Even if we get only 1 like Souttar in 3 or 4 the return is worth it. I also like giving young players a chance and platform - see also Mulraney just now.

I think you're right. It's really positive and shows how much Levein values the long-term success of the club. 

wattie exploited
4 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

We've bid for him previously so surprised you've not heard of him.

when was that :1022:

To be fair to the laddie he’s had Hartley and McCann as his managers for the last couple of years which would ruin the best of players!

With the setup we have now he could be a real gem of a signing.

The Old Tolbooth

If true, I don't get this one, I've good friends who're season ticket holders at Dens and they don't rate him, we've got loads of striking options and I really can't see him getting a game other than going out on loan. I'd also say this might end interest in Sow. 

2 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

If we get this lad and Hibs get Kamara then Dundee must be stick on for relegation and wee Neil will be back doing TV commentary by the end of September!

I think they could be stick-ons anyway.  As much as I loved McCann as a player for us, I don't really rate him as a manager.  Comes across as a bit arrogant and maybe not the type to galvanise a team and get the players onside and working for him.  They shouldn't be struggling in relegation battles given their resources, they should be in the mix for making top 6 rather than trying to avoid bottom 2.

I actually thought McCann would be the first managerial casualty of the season as I could see them getting off to a poor start and Dundee running out of patience, but I hadn't reckoned with the fall out at Livingston.  I still think McCann will be next to go.

portobellojambo1
16 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I know absolutely nothing at all about this guy, although freely admit I don't read much, if anything about players at other clubs. Based on that sort of limited knowledge it is something best left to those who do know and are in a position to make the decision on whether signing him would be a good thing or not. Someone above did mention that the Sun have mentioned a fee of around £250k, as I know nothing at all about the player I wouldn't have a clue if that is a fair reflection of his value, assuming of course that figure is either accurate or fairly close to the mark.

Edited by portobellojambo1

17 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Hopefully Hibs don’t get Kamara , He’s a cracking a player

The_razors_edge

Dundee haven’t been slow in replacing the kid. Looks like they’re signing kenny miller who could be an excellent for them 

Meh. Was highly rated a few years back but has hardly set the heather alight.

I generally always try and reserve too much judgement on players though, but still. Meh.

1 minute ago, portobellojambo1 said:

I know absolutely nothing at all about this guy, although freely admit I don't read much, if anything about players at other clubs. Based on that limited knowledge it is something best left to those who do know to make the decision on whetehr signing him would be a good thing or not. Someone above did mention that the Sun have mentioned a fee of around £250k, as I know nothing at all about the player I wouldn't have a clue if that is a fair refelction of his value, assuming of course that figure is either accurate or fairly close to the mark.

PJ1 that’s a lot of words to say you dinae have a scooby who he is or if he’s any good?

He's like a young Steven Naismith. He's not a no.9. We were definitely going to sign him then he got a bad injury that put him out for ages. He's a very skilful and promising young player and we're the team to make him better. He'd be an understudy to Naisy imo, not a replacement for Lafferty.

WheatfieldWarrior
1 hour ago, Bauld said:

The sun could report the pope Catholic and I would still be using Google to confirm. 

Source?