• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1971fozzy

• Morgan

• graygo

• Bazzas right boot

Luscious Laryea

For once I'm hoping they both get through their groups.

It's our best chance in years to achieve something of note in the league and keeping them both busy would be my preference. The longer they're in Europe, the more distracted from the league they'll be and the more fatigued and stretched their squads will become.

Add the fact the Europa League money pales in comparison to the Champions League, I'm all in favour of them progressing in the competition.

That said, **** the pair of them.

18 minutes ago, Jambo in Japan said:

Having either arse cheek in European competition aids our league campaign at least up until Christmas. Double the amount of weekly fixtures and attention on two tournaments instead of one..

Still hope they both get pumped.

It could work to our advantage. They are in it till the first week in December so hopefully takes a lot out of them.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

A couple of early group defeats, so they have to go all out to qualify. Always loathe to wish injury on others, nothing surer it will happen to yourself.

Some hard bruising ties though would be the ticket

Hope they both get tanned every round. It's a good idea to keep them tied up in European football but no qualification for either through the group stages please - that would be taking it too far.

Blackpool tae Gorgie

Seen a few Rangers fans strutting about with their tops on, no doubt heading to the Gallant pioneer

a full blown Rangers pub in station road Blackpool.Hope they get stuffed simple as that Celtic as well,

detest them both.

Hope both the Irish and the Quintessential British clubs get horsed. I fear Celtic's group isn't that brilliant, though there are no guarantees for a team that spend £25m under Boring Brendan and still can't down St Mirren.

HeartOfWestLothian
15 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

Hopefully a few leg breaks for rangers and celtic. 

I would never wish that on any football player, regardless who they played for. 

7 minutes ago, HeartOfWestLothian said:

Sprained ankles then?

Shanks said no
2 hours ago, Luscious Laryea said:

It's our best chance in years to achieve something of note in the league and keeping them both busy would be my preference. The longer they're in Europe, the more distracted from the league they'll be and the more fatigued and stretched their squads will become.

Add the fact the Europa League money pales in comparison to the Champions League, I'm all in favour of them progressing in the competition.

You are right, our priority has to be Hearts, so it would be best for them to have fixture congestion before and after Xmas.

Doesn't lessen my hatred for the pair of them, their fans can and will let themselves down, which will be a bonus if reported by the SMSM

2 hours ago, Blackpool tae Gorgie said:

Seen a few Rangers fans strutting about with their tops on, no doubt heading to the Gallant pioneer

a full blown Rangers pub in station road Blackpool.Hope they get stuffed simple as that Celtic as well,

detest them both.

They will. They will. I saw Villa Real play Wolves pre season (OK, only a friendly) but they were by far the better team - until they made 6 changes in the 2nd half, simultaneously.  Sevco will hardly get a touch tonight. Fingers crossed. 

Edited by NANOJAMBO

Would love to see that arrogant prick Gerrard taken down a peg. 

Celtic in a normal season should be in the mix in that group but this season they seem to have absolutely zero energy so we will either get lumpen performances or a schizoid season where they do brilliantly in Europe and are absolutely trash domestically. 

42 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

They will. They will. I saw Villa Real play Wolves pre season (OK, only a friendly) but they were by far the better team - until they made 6 changes in the 2nd half, simultaneously.  Sevco will hardly get a touch tonight. Fingers crossed. 

Good to hear.  Feck the Rangers.

Edited by Morgan

57 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

You are right, our priority has to be Hearts, so it would be best for them to have fixture congestion before and after Xmas.

Doesn't lessen my hatred for the pair of them, their fans can and will let themselves down, which will be a bonus if reported by the SMSM

Levein in his press conference today said he hoped they go on to meet in the final :D

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
2 hours ago, HeartOfWestLothian said:

Me? I don't give a ****. 

Sawdust Caesar
3 hours ago, Luscious Laryea said:

I feel the same. Hoping for very tough games, though, lots of energy sapping ones, an early red card or two meaning they play most of a game with 10 men. Some short term injuries, minor stuff, nothing serious. Delayed flights home, bed bugs in their hotels. Anything that makes life a bit miserable for them. Some fixture congestion as well. An early exit for Celtic will just fire them for their assault on the league, imo. 

I’m actually looking forward to these games. 

Bit of a win win for us potentially if rangers and celtic either go further, straining their squads and improving the stock of scottish football, or more likely they do badly and suffer some demoralising defeats to take into the league.

These are games both should be able to win in terms of their resources unlike the financial gulf in the CL. It will be interesting to hear their excuses when they lose, celtic in particular as probably one of the richer teams in the tournament now.

15 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I’m actually looking forward to these games. 

Bit of a win win for us potentially if rangers and celtic either go further, straining their squads and improving the stock of scottish football, or more likely they do badly and suffer some demoralising defeats to take into the league.

These are games both should be able to win in terms of their resources unlike the financial gulf in the CL. It will be interesting to hear their excuses when they lose, celtic in particular as probably one of the richer teams in the tournament now.

I'm of the same mind. I know it feeds their coffers, but honestly I'm starting to think the financial gulf with Rangers and Celtic matters less to Hearts than the growing financial gulf with England. It's hard to hold a team together when League 1 sides come for our players.

There's a kind of logarithmic falloff that seems to happen in player purchases in quality. You can be reasonably certain you'll get an upgrade on a player whose contract you purchase for $5 million over a $500k player, but considerably less certainty that a $10 million player will upgrade your $5 million player. Celtic and Rangers are getting left behind by the Big 5 leagues, and a little EL group stage money isn't going to make that much of a difference.

Yes, they'll strengthen in January, but January transfers are notoriously hard to get right and rarely make the same impact that summer transfers do.

2 minutes ago, Ugly American said:

I'm of the same mind. I know it feeds their coffers, but honestly I'm starting to think the financial gulf with Rangers and Celtic matters less to Hearts than the growing financial gulf with England. It's hard to hold a team together when League 1 sides come for our players.

There's a kind of logarithmic falloff that seems to happen in player purchases in quality. You can be reasonably certain you'll get an upgrade on a player whose contract you purchase for $5 million over a $500k player, but considerably less certainty that a $10 million player will upgrade your $5 million player. Celtic and Rangers are getting left behind by the Big 5 leagues, and a little EL group stage money isn't going to make that much of a difference.

Yes, they'll strengthen in January, but January transfers are notoriously hard to get right and rarely make the same impact that summer transfers do.

Celtic no doubt dangled the carrot of glamourous CL nights and a platform to get a virgil van dyk or wanyama type move in front of the likes of nitcham, dembele, boyata and eduard. It was noticeable that the moment they were out of the CL, dembele and boyata wanted out, with nitcham reportedly unsettled too. I honestly don’t think they’re up for europa league games and a battle for the league in scotland if we can stay competitive.

it will take more than a few january loans to sort that squad out. Most likely if we stay a threat we’ll see both the OF try to unsettle our best players through the media.

5 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Celtic no doubt dangled the carrot of glamourous CL nights and a platform to get a virgil van dyk or wanyama type move in front of the likes of nitcham, dembele, boyata and eduard. It was noticeable that the moment they were out of the CL, dembele and boyata wanted out, with nitcham reportedly unsettled too. I honestly don’t think they’re up for europa league games and a battle for the league in scotland if we can stay competitive.

it will take more than a few january loans to sort that squad out. Most likely if we stay a threat we’ll see both the OF try to unsettle our best players through the media.

Indeed. And on the last point, I assume Levein will tell them well ahead of time what's coming and how they should respond.

I also wonder how Rangers players will react if they continue to falter, as many of them signed up to be part of Gerrard's Juggernaut, which while improved from last season still looks like Gerrard's Jalopy. It's a long season yet but I don't think Rangers finishing 4th is completely out of the question on current form.

After Rob Mclean said 'they've only conceded one goal in the lead up' blah blah etc.... I said, aye but they've only played Macedonia ladies B team, they will get pumped (then called him a name).... lololololol

3 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Hadn't realised the match started as early as it did. Now looking for a stream and hoping for some more Spanish goals. :)

see above