Scottish teams in Europe.(merged)

Boab

Enzo Chiefo

Hopefully Aberdeen can make it a full house for the Scottish teams. Improving the coefficient makes it easier to qualify for the group stages. Last time we reached that stage we only faced 1 qualifying round, now it's so much more difficult with 4 qualifying rounds to negotiate. 

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1971fozzy

• Morgan

• graygo

• Bazzas right boot

9 minutes ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Yeah before they *******ised everything in favour of the rich countries. Sorry not a pop at you btw but at the fact that countries whose 4th placed team get straight into the group stages

Yeah it’s ridiculous how the top 4 in some countries go into the “Champions League”. Didn’t realise coming 2nd makes you a champion lol. 

So when was the last time we had 4 Scottish teams in when the league campaign kicked off?

7 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

:pleasing: sheep oot. 

Would rather have seen others out and given the mighty Premier League a bloody nose.

I think aberdeen did very well over the 2 legs, certainly before the tie many had this as a skoosh for Burnley.

This season has started well for Scotland in Europe and heres hoping its a sign of things to come.

Madness

Two men have been stabbed after a mass brawl broke out in the streets outside Rangers' Ibrox stadium in Glasgow.
Emergency services were called to deal with the "large scale disturbance" in the Govan area of the city ahead of the Scottish football club's Europa League clash with Croatian rival Osijek on Thursday evening.
Police Scotland said two men, aged 24 and 40, were found with stab wounds and were taken by ambulance to the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital just after 7pm

It should have been ten
27 minutes ago, JohnB said:

Would rather have seen others out and given the mighty Premier League a bloody nose.

Same here 

I’d have liked to have seen Aberdeen win for the stated reasons but are we not going a bit OTT with the hard luck stories?

I had a quick look back at our jaunt to Liverpool and the only thing the two matches have in common are that it was £PL v SPFL. 

The name, the quality of player and even the timing of the matches (we played Liverpool in the last week in August) made Aberdeen’s tie infinitely more winnable. I read on twitter that Burnley cost 688 times more than Aberdeen to assemble so I’m not belittling how close they came to a major shock. Mind you, Aberdeen have a defender they value at £10m!!!

However, I don’t recall Hearts receiving the same plaudits for our team, which cost £30,000 (Temps) to assemble, running a team valued at 10,000 times that, very close. I think this game was increased in magnitude by it being a media darling travelling to England on the back of us Scots having the temerity to not support our neighbours last month.

Edited by Shaggy2

Nookie Bear

Aberdeen made the EPL team look average, and still lost, which was good. 

Unless we want Aberdeen to get more money and prestige for progressing? 

But hibs, rangers and celtic are still flying the flag for Scottish football so we should all be delighted :huh2:

Finlay James

I really hope that Levein is using this as motivation and telling the players to make sure it's us in Europe next season.  

Aberdeen very unlucky not to go through and you cant take away that the other 3 done well to negotiate tricky ties.

The Treasurer

Right.

That's the "profile" of Scottish football raised quite enough for one season, let's have all three remaining clubs crash and burn in the next round

2 hours ago, Shaggy2 said:

I’d have liked to have seen Aberdeen win for the stated reasons but are we not going a bit OTT with the hard luck stories?

I had a quick look back at our jaunt to Liverpool and the only thing the two matches have in common are that it was £PL v SPFL. 

The name, the quality of player and even the timing of the matches (we played Liverpool in the last week in August) made Aberdeen’s tie infinitely more winnable. I read on twitter that Burnley cost 688 times more than Aberdeen to assemble so I’m not belittling how close they came to a major shock. Mind you, Aberdeen have a defender they value at £10m!!!

However, I don’t recall Hearts receiving the same plaudits for our team, which cost £30,000 (Temps) to assemble, running a team valued at 10,000 times that, very close. I think this game was increased in magnitude by it being a media darling travelling to England on the back of us Scots having the temerity to not support our neighbours last month.

Yeah ironically the Scottish media are now over inflating how good EPL is with all this fanfare, I said it when the draw was made that Burnley are a bang average team lacking much cutting edge/creativity and Aberdeen would have a good chance of going through. Without having marron tinted glasses on, Hearts effort against Liverpool was a much greater 'achievement' if you can call it that.  Team with Suarez, Gerrard, Reina, Sterling plus many more, all top class players.  On the flip side Hearts team was pretty poor in reality, a centre mid of Barr and Taouil!  

kirkierobroy

Aye, you can't go OTT about Aberdeen. They never looked like winning it, did they? All the same, they did much better than I expected.

Sevco, hopefully, will be out in a fortnight as Maribor are seasoned European football pros.

1 hour ago, The Treasurer said:

Right.

That's the "profile" of Scottish football raised quite enough for one season, let's have all three remaining clubs crash and burn in the next round

:lol:

18 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

Yeah ironically the Scottish media are now over inflating how good EPL is with all this fanfare, I said it when the draw was made that Burnley are a bang average team lacking much cutting edge/creativity and Aberdeen would have a good chance of going through. Without having marron tinted glasses on, Hearts effort against Liverpool was a much greater 'achievement' if you can call it that.  Team with Suarez, Gerrard, Reina, Sterling plus many more, all top class players.  On the flip side Hearts team was pretty poor in reality, a centre mid of Barr and Taouil!  

I’ll never forget the night Taouil owned Gerrard!!! :D

...a bit disco

Surely not...

Posted at 12:5512:55

Rangers learn potential play-off tie

Ooo, here we go Rangers fans...

Should Steven Gerrard's side beat Maribor, they will face either Russia's FC Ufa or Progres of Luxembourg.

:lol:

pedrocaixinha.png?strip=all&w=551&qualit

Edited by ...a bit disco

From the BBC:

Potentially tough tie for Hibernian.

If the Scottish outfit get past Molde, a clash with either Belarus' Dinamo Minsk or Russian side Zenit awaits.

Celtic could face Malmo or MOL Vidi in play-off round.

...So, should Celtic lose to AEK Athens in the Champions League, they will face Latvia's Spartaks Jurmala or Lithuanian outfit Suduva.

Should Steven Gerrard's side beat Maribor, they will face either Russia's FC Ufa or Progres of Luxembourg.

Some big names there....  :muggy: 

3 minutes ago, wallace_mercer said:

Hibs won’t beat zenit

They will make a lot of money from it though.  A pumping in the first leg and Easter road will be empty. 

brunoatemyhamster

Hibs won't beat Zenit.

Lets hope Maribor do Sevco this week as id fancy their chances against those two duds .

Celtic win this tie and they must fancy the CL group stages.

Escobar PHM
6 minutes ago, Juanjo15 said:

They will make a lot of money from it though.  A pumping in the first leg and Easter road will be empty. 

If they've any sense they will try and sell it out before the first leg.

This all assumes of course that they get past Molde, which is by no means a certainty.

5 minutes ago, Bauld said:

I would quite like to see them going up against Zenit.

That has the potential to break records set by Malmo.

:pleasing: and a right good kicking ?

Bazzas right boot
4 hours ago, tian447 said:

From the BBC:

Some big names there....  :muggy: 

How'd that work out? 

Honking teams. 

Aberdeen got lumbered with Burnley last round and rangers get that shit in the last qualifier? 

Europe league stages would save rangers. 

Edited by WeeChuck'sHeed

27 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:

Would Hibs be at Easter road first leg v Zenit?

No.  By the time the second leg comes around they will be horsed regardless.  That’s if they fluke it past Molde. 

3 charges against them after their trip to Greece. I recall St. Johnstone saying the ended up out of pocket despite having won through a couple of rounds a few years ago as the clubs only make a profit if they get to the last knock-out game or the group stages, if they get fined as well on top of this they'll be needing the McGinn transfer dosh.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45104214

Rangers won’t beat Maribor

But in then scheme of things it’s a hell of an easy draw compared with what we have had in recent years.

Celtic v AEK Athens tonight.

Will the ‘big Hibs’ beat the ‘big Greeks’ this week?

Hope no’.

The Internet

Ajer and Hendry as a champions league centre back partnership is madness. 

8 of the 11 were there when Deila was manager. 

Governor Tarkin

Righto. Looking for some recommendations on the best way to watch the Glasgow Hibs game tonight apart from subscribing to Terrorist TV or nipping along to the Tattiedome.

Will be using android.

Thanks in advance, chaps.

Edited by Governor Tarkin

3 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Righto. Looking for some recommendations on the best way to watch the Glasgow Hibs game tonight apart from subscribing to Terrorist TV or nipping along to the Tattiedome.

Will be using android.

Thanks in advance, chaps.

Best links will be here, Wilhuff:

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccerstreams/comments/95n5uo/1845_gmt_celtic_vs_aek_athens/

Look for YouTube streams or streams marked Mobile: Yes

Felix Lighter

Hoping for a tight result in the timothy game with no guarantees for the 2nd leg, purely on the basis that they'll maybe have the 2nd leg on their minds on Saturday. A one goal win for celtic with an away goal would do for me, with two pumpings to follow please.