Scottish teams in Europe.(merged)

Boab

Nookie Bear
9 minutes ago, Morgan said:

I for one, would not call you ‘old school’ at all NB.

The old European Cup was for teams that had actually won their own domestic league.  That is still the way it should be, not 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

Yep, but those days are gone. 

Fast-tracking teams that finish 4th is rubbish. But all about the ££££££  

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1971fozzy

• Morgan

• graygo

• Bazzas right boot

2 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Anyone see how they played? 

Watched the game in the boozer. Started off well. Scored a good goal then once the Greeks scored it was like ........”emmmm,didn’t see that in the script. What do we do now”. Couldn’t break down the defence. Keeper didn’t have anything to do except from the odd cross. Really poor performance. Don’t know if that’s a good thing or not for us come Saturday. Thumb looked lively when he came on.

Nookie Bear
12 minutes ago, magicTs said:

Think that result increases our hopes for Saturday. I foresee wholesale changes in their lineup now as the reality is that Tuesday is way more important for them. They can of course bring in other quality players but if we are at it and go after them from the off we’ve got a chance to get a result.

Over to Levein and the team.....!!

This is true. They have to manage their squad now and it could be interesting. 

Would like to see Tierney launched into Row Z early doors as well. Just to let them know...

6 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Get off the fence Morgan.

Sorry Doug.  Something about these green and white hoops..

5 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Yep, but those days are gone. 

Fast-tracking teams that finish 4th is rubbish. But all about the ££££££  

I know Nookie, I was backing you up mate :thumb: 

Nookie Bear
1 minute ago, Morgan said:

Sorry Doug.  Something about these green and white hoops..

I know Nookie, I was backing you up mate :thumb: 

:thumb:

I dont half want to see us absolutely thrash this horrible, victim, sectarian, vile club.

Hope Cochrane is fit and can re-introduce himself to Broony, even if it's off the bench.  And I have a feeling Uche will take a liking to Broonie as well.

1 minute ago, Kiwidoug said:

I dont half want to see us absolutely thrash this horrible, victim, sectarian, vile club.

Hope Cochrane is fit and can re-introduce himself to Broony, even if it's off the bench.  And I have a feeling Uche will take a liking to Broonie as well.

:scenes:

29 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Sorry, call me old school but I don’t think the Champions League should include teams that finish 4th. No mater what league they are in. 

If nothing else, it’s whoever finished 4th in the EPL who should be kicking off in July against some Albanian mob, not the Scottish Champions. 

Totally agree with this but it is all geared toward the big teams and  money dictates what happens.

So board of watching the champions league these days. Was good when teams were drawn at random

John Findlay
39 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

Nah I think they have a valid point. Champions league should be weighted towards league champions first and foremost. So the champions from the top 12-16 leagues at least should be in the group stages by right. By all means then take some second place teams. Let’s say the 2nd place teams from the top 6 leagues. The rest ought to be qualifying for what spaces are left. It’s a fake competition weighted towards teams from countries with the highest viewing figures. I barely watch it now. It’s all so repetitive and predictable. 

Bang on.

AlphonseCapone
17 minutes ago, goldie83 said:

Watched the game in the boozer. Started off well. Scored a good goal then once the Greeks scored it was like ........”emmmm,didn’t see that in the script. What do we do now”. Couldn’t break down the defence. Keeper didn’t have anything to do except from the odd cross. Really poor performance. Don’t know if that’s a good thing or not for us come Saturday. Thumb looked lively when he came on.

:thumbsup: cheers mate. Would rather the thumb didn't start against us, has a habit of scoring. Hopefully the result means they've got one eye on the return leg. 

JamboGraham

Interesting stat on the radio earlier. That’s Brenda’s 16th European tie at Parkhead and only half have been wins...not exactly a fortress...

Just now, Jeff said:

Really hope Sinclair starts against us. All he can do is cut inside

Hope that doesn’t come back and haunt us buddy!! (P.S- was thinking the exact same just didn’t want to say it out loud!!?)

8 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

:thumbsup: cheers mate. Would rather the thumb didn't start against us, has a habit of scoring. Hopefully the result means they've got one eye on the return leg. 

Let’s hope so. The two center half’s were hopeless. Big Uche could have a field day against them. Celtic fans in the pub moaning about Hendry and how he isn’t good enough and should be loaned out! Pleasing! HHGH!

53 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Sorry, call me old school but I don’t think the Champions League should include teams that finish 4th. No mater what league they are in. 

If nothing else, it’s whoever finished 4th in the EPL who should be kicking off in July against some Albanian mob, not the Scottish Champions. 

Can’t disagree. I can accept including some teams who didn’t finish first in their leagues - but they should be the ones having to fight their way through multiple qualifiers. The idea that you can finish 4th and get a bye into the group stages, but the champions of another league have to play 4 qualifiers, is just ridiculous.

Escobar PHM
19 minutes ago, goldie83 said:

Let’s hope so. The two center half’s were hopeless. Big Uche could have a field day against them. Celtic fans in the pub moaning about Hendry and how he isn’t good enough and should be loaned out! Pleasing! HHGH!

Lustig looks well off full fitness too and is a weak link at right back . If they play Lustig and hendry again on Saturday that’s an awfy vulnerable looking right side of defence. As always against Celtic though it’s about not letting their midfield have the time to put their foot on the ball.

Edited by Escobar PHM

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Escobar PHM said:

Nah I think they have a valid point. Champions league should be weighted towards league champions first and foremost. So the champions from the top 12-16 leagues at least should be in the group stages by right. By all means then take some second place teams. Let’s say the 2nd place teams from the top 6 leagues. The rest ought to be qualifying for what spaces are left. It’s a fake competition weighted towards teams from countries with the highest viewing figures. I barely watch it now. It’s all so repetitive and predictable. 

I agree. 

It's ridiculous now. 

JamboGraham
23 minutes ago, Crete said:

If Celtic get beat next week Brenda will be looking for a new job.

Can’t see it to be honest. Would still be likely to get a Europa League group spot...even without that I can’t see Celtic hitting the panic button like that..

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, Escobar PHM said:

Yup.

2 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

They’re right, but I’m not having that lot lecturing anyone in financial and institutional unfairness in football. 

They are right !

Point difference between clubs finishing first and fourth...

England..25.

Spain...20.

Germany...29.

Italy...23.

Both qualify for the group stage in each country. It is, indeed, a laugh....a sick joke !

44 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

Lustig looks well off full fitness too and is a weak link at right back . If they play Lustig and hendry again on Saturday that’s an awfy vulnerable looking right side of defence. As always against Celtic though it’s about not letting their midfield have the time to put their foot on the ball.

Let’s just hope we do that mate. Hopefully it’s a great time to be playing them!!

PhoenixHearts

Not sure why all the Celtic supporters I know were so sure of being favourites in this tie.

AEK and Celtic both champions of their respective league but the Superleague is streets ahead of ours in terms of competition and overall quality. Can see Celtic getting pumped rotten in Athens.

1 hour ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Anyone see how they played? 

10 men :rofl:and the tic couldn’t breach them

however, the Greeks defence was very good indeed. Very disciplined and impressive. 

36 minutes ago, Cheile said:

Looking forward to Haring going in to a challenge with Broonaldo at the weekend.

Haring is 40/1 to score first.

i posted in the betting thread but that’s bloody good odds.

ive put £3 on it along with a few more (I like to bet a tenner on certain games)

1 hour ago, Crete said:

Hell likely leave. Blame board for the mutant fek up etc etc and bolt.

rudi must stay
2 hours ago, Crete said:

I doubt that. But it would be a huge setback that would get him sitting a lot less comfortably

2 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

Haring is 40/1 to score first.

i posted in the betting thread but that’s bloody good odds.

ive put £3 on it along with a few more (I like to bet a tenner on certain games)

Who’s got him at 40/1 mate. I’m having some of that. I’ve checked a few but there all 22/1..........

gashauskis9
7 hours ago, Jeff said:

Really hope Sinclair starts against us. All he can do is cut inside and score regularly against us at Tynecastle

FTFY

When the official match thread appears I promise I will predict another 3-0 win.  Every time I do that we score 4 and that rings a bell against this modest oponent.

4 hours ago, goldie83 said:

Who’s got him at 40/1 mate. I’m having some of that. I’ve checked a few but there all 22/1..........

BET365 mate

Edited by 1971fozzy

Jambo in Yorkshire

Interesting that 12-16 is mentioned as qualifying for the group stages, Scotland are currently 23rd.

We are behind Belarus, Cyprus, Serbia and Switzerland etc.

maroonnicky63

Celtic dominate Scottish football but as soon as they step outside of it they are pish , it's a shame really because that will never change unless Rangers can spend more to bring them up close to the level of Celtic. I really feel for Hearts they have no where near the spending power of the rotten side but yet they are still expected to compete with them and the only chance that we have is in the cups and even then it's a challenge .that's why Scottish football is a laughing stock outside of Scotland and who can blame players who leave as soon as there is any club interested in them

Escobar PHM
1 hour ago, Jambo in Yorkshire said:

Interesting that 12-16 is mentioned as qualifying for the group stages, Scotland are currently 23rd.

We are behind Belarus, Cyprus, Serbia and Switzerland etc.

And thats fine. Our club's fault we've sunk so low. However they are still champions and the route to the group stage should be easier than a 4th place team. By easier I mean less rounds to play. All 3rd and 4th place teams should have to start at the 1st round stage IMO. If they are good enough for the group stage they'll still get there.

Escobar PHM
11 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

'Broony' is not the threat in that team. There isn't any point in concentrating on him, as much as he is hated he isn't going to hurt us (not in that way) If we spend too much time trying to put a marker on Scott Brown there's a danger we lose focus on their 'proper' players like Ntcham, Tierney, McGregor.

Escobar PHM
10 hours ago, JamboGraham said:

Can’t see it to be honest. Would still be likely to get a Europa League group spot...even without that I can’t see Celtic hitting the panic button like that..

They're not going to sack him. His body language in the last week or so has changed though, so he might walk. Great time to play them this week.

Good chance Celtic may rest a few players on Sunday as the AEK game is far more important to them. Will be interesting to see their team. Hearts at 5s for a home win looks decent value.

John Findlay

Nitcham is the guy to nullify most. He is their beast as like Uche he is built like a brick shitehouse. I would still nullify Brown too as he is their Ray Wilkins. The 5-10yds pass man.

3 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

BET365 mate

:sweeet:cheers bud. On a side note. Whilst i was looking for that Haring bet I found that Souttar was 125/1 with Paddy Power! Well worth a pound or two!!

chester copperpot

A step too far tnite.

They got lucky against the Greeks, this mob will be a lot more disciplined.

Don't know a huge amount about Norwegian football however Molde have been kicking about Europe for quite. Number of years now so should win.

2 hours ago, Spellczech said:

Good chance Celtic may rest a few players on Sunday as the AEK game is far more important to them. Will be interesting to see their team. Hearts at 5s for a home win looks decent value.

They'll probably rest them all on Sunday mate.  ;)