• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1971fozzy

• Morgan

• graygo

• Bazzas right boot

Just now, jambokev said:

Gala.....Sorry to hear about your wifes mum mate...aye the Bonnie Borders scenery can't match the highlands though.

I think in it's own way it's just as good. Not as dramatic as the highlands but very easy on the eye. I've walked the border ridge from Cocklaw foot to Kirk Yetholm several times, it's a cracking 14 mile route, the finish of the Penine way, I always enjoy a few pints in the Border Hotel when I get there. Had a few pints in Gala too over the years, and Melrose. Why is there a pub in Melrose called the Ship Inn ? It's not exactly a seaside town.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
13 minutes ago, VALDOS said:

Certainly sounds like theres nowt between the Dons and Burnley.

One way traffic with the sporadic Aberdeen break. Burnley worked the ball well around a resolute Aberdeen rearguard action, the equaliser was long overdue when it came. Aberdeen picked up the pace once back to 1-1

Well, I was wrong. Osijek are crap !

10 games in from Scottish teams. 8 wins, 2 draws.

But it won't last......it's creaking already.

3 minutes ago, whodanny said:

I think in it's own way it's just as good. Not as dramatic as the highlands but very easy on the eye. I've walked the border ridge from Cocklaw foot to Kirk Yetholm several times, it's a cracking 14 mile route, the finish of the Penine way, I always enjoy a few pints in the Border Hotel when I get there. Had a few pints in Gala too over the years, and Melrose. Why is there a pub in Melrose called the Ship Inn ? It's not exactly a seaside town.

Great effort mate.I've no idea why it's called the Ship either ...good beer though !

kirkierobroy

Credit to Aberdeen. I thought they'd get horsed both legs. They will get horsed next week, though.

Sorry guys, non-Hearts supporter so must say it seems that Hibs will be a team involved in lots of good games this season. You should score a lot against them, anyway.

Very disappointed with our Croatian cousins.

1 minute ago, jambokev said:

Great effort mate.I've no idea why it's called the Ship either ...good beer though !

Yup the Beer is good. :toasting:

WorldChampions1902

Whilst the supporters of green and white might be singing "Hopelessly Devoted to You" in the second leg, the damage has been done tonight at Easter Rd. With 2 away goals to their credit, I fully expect Astra Fireworks FC to be chanting, "Greece is The Word".

Cruyff Turn

Watched Aberdeen on YouTube and Sevco on PremSports.

Aberdeen were superb. McKenna and Devlin at the back defended everything until that big dirty git Vokes barged his way through and got lucky with the ball bouncing of the Aberdeen players shoulder.

Wasn't much in it at all and it just further highlights how ridiculously over inflated the English Premier League is.

Burnley 's squad are probably on 60-70million a year and valued at 150 million. They got about 120million for finishing 6th in the Prem last season. Aberdeen got 2.2million and their entire squads worth about 7 million quid. That difference wasn't in display tonight. 

Sevco were well organised, compact and played on the counter. They defended very well, McGregor made a number of saves but the Croatian side was all over them for the entire game. The Croatians didn't have the final ball or the quality to get a clean chance. Can't say I'm impressed by Sevco, they seem better organised but I don't think they have any real quality.

5 minutes ago, kirkierobroy said:

Credit to Aberdeen. I thought they'd get horsed both legs. They will get horsed next week, though.

Sorry guys, non-Hearts supporter so must say it seems that Hibs will be a team involved in lots of good games this season. You should score a lot against them, anyway.

Very disappointed with our Croatian cousins.

That will apply to Hibs too !

7 minutes ago, Boab said:

Well, I was wrong. Osijek are crap !

10 games in from Scottish teams. 8 wins, 2 draws.

But it won't last......it's creaking already.

It is a great return given the horror shows in the last 5 or 6 years from Scottish football, in the long run this is what needs to happen, even if plenty folks piss is being boiled over it.

heartsfc_fan

Good results for Hibs and Aberdeen but those away goals will hurt them. Both will go out.

Rangers will go through unfortunately.

They have a habit of coming from behind under Lennon. Didn't they pull a game back against Celtic from a few down? And then also that mental game against Rangers.

Hopefully we ****ing do them at ER this year. Tynie is a given of course :jjyay:

Burnley made £119m from TV last year.  Sums up how overrated and overpaid these clubs and their players are that they could not beat Aberdeen. 

41 minutes ago, Van Wilder said:

Every time I put money on a game it just goes to shit.7

Gambling's not for me.

Same here

Cruyff Turn
2 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

Burnley made £119m from TV last year.  Sums up how overrated and overpaid these clubs and their players are that they could not beat Aberdeen. 

People won't like me saying this but Celtic would beat Burnley without a doubt. Burnley are big and physical. That was the main difference between the two sides. They pass the ball well, but you'd expect that from a Premier League side, they barely misplace passes and everything is one, two touches but it's to diffuse pressure & move the ball around rather than when trying to play through sides. 

If that's what £150,000,000 worth of players gets you though then I'd be feeling ripped off. They created two chances all night and have very little quality in their team other than a physical advantage. They don't have the quality to play through sides. They look to create angles to play diagonal crosses into the box and that's about all they've got, very effective but not very pretty.

I think Aberdeen had the much better chances to score again. They were never going to be able to go for to toe with them because their not as quick or as strong but they competed very well. They certainly weren't 2nd best. 

Have to say, if Aberdeen bring in another decent centre forward they'll comfortably finish 2nd or 3rd this season. We need to raise our game quite a bit to get that same level of consistency. 

HeartOfWestLothian

Don’t read too much into results at this stage of the season. 

If that game is played in September Burnley would win it quite comfortably imo. 

On 24/07/2018 at 11:28, Dalstonjambo said:

I've read again what you said and I'd like to know what impressed you about them shipping 5 goals across 2 legs to a team from the faroe islands who played 60 minutes with 10 men in the first leg. Who exactly have they carved open bar a bunch of fishermen? 

So as I have been saying.

Suspect in defence but very capable at scoring goals.

On this occasion also showing quite a  bit of fight to get back into the game and go on to win. 

Here's hoping they get smashed away from home. 

chuck berrys hairline

Why did The Rangers wear training tops last night. Also didn't swap a penchant before the game, arrogance or skint ?

Edited by chuck berrys hairline

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I watched the Aberdeen game, very strong start, got ahead. But from the point they went ahead, they were dominated and under pressure for long spells, men lined up all across the box. If you watched the 2017 Scottish Cup Final against Celtic, it was like that.

Burnley were missing several (Barnes, Defour, Walters, Hendrick for example) and are a workmanlike team, who are YET to spend any of the 120 million pounds that is being freely quoted.

Having said that, Aberdeen were their usual disciplined, hard working and strong on the counter selves. It was a very decent performance, but context, under pressure to a Burnley side that will get better. Everton were honking in this competition last year too, so gauging it is dangerous on the basis of a glamour tie type evening. After all, we did draw at Anfield and didn't end up winning the league.

I mentioned on the Sutton thread, the talent of a player should never be directly linked to the price tag. If some of our players were playing in England, they would cost a lot more.

We currently have a 35 million pound player on loan.

Edited by Sir Gio

39 minutes ago, chuck berrys hairline said:

Why did The Rangers wear training tops last night. Also didn't swap a penchant before the game, arrogance or skint ?

Relates to the case Ashley is bringing against Sevco for failing to give him the chance to match  the Hummel deal. The whole thing is on the back burner, so Hummel can't supply anything officially (not even "penchants" :lol:) ,and the old deals have now expired. 

Dalstonjambo
1 hour ago, Bauld said:

So as I have been saying.

Suspect in defence but very capable at scoring goals.

On this occasion also showing quite a  bit of fight to get back into the game and go on to win. 

Here's hoping they get smashed away from home. 

And as i said at the time they hadn't played anyone of consequence (you cited berwick in a pre season friendly who hamilton beat 5-0 this week and a team from the faroe islands) so after last night I'm happy to concede they seemed to carry a goal threat even against a better team. No disputing that. 

However I'm happy to stick to my original point that a pre season hammering of berwick and scoring goals against a team from the faroe islands isn't anything other than par for a team of prem level. 

Edited by Dalstonjambo

46 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

A decent night for Scottish football. 

But probably just Rangers going through. 

I think both the cheeks will go through. Wildly optimistic but Hubs could sneak through.

Sheep have a mountain to climb !

kirkierobroy

Always used to want all Scottish teams to go as far as possible, through gritted teeth in some cases. But I've withdrawn that from Sevco.

8 hours ago, Dalstonjambo said:

And as i said at the time they hadn't played anyone of consequence (you cited berwick in a pre season friendly who hamilton beat 5-0 this week and a team from the faroe islands) so after last night I'm happy to concede they seemed to carry a goal threat even against a better team. No disputing that. 

However I'm happy to stick to my original point that a pre season hammering of berwick and scoring goals against a team from the faroe islands isn't anything other than par for a team of prem level. 

Fair enough and agreed it is par for the course. 

The potential was there though and they proved it again against a stronger opponent. 

After Aberdeen drawing with Burnley it would appear we will have competition this season if we want to finish top 3. 

Nothing will be a given for us.

Hibby at work today heading to Greece. Said hes planning to enjoy the sun cos they’ll get murdered at the football!!

Reckoned 3-2 was huge flattery last night and prob only achieved cos Greeks two weeks behind us as far as preseason.

On 27/07/2018 at 09:38, Sir Gio said:

Burnley were missing several (Barnes, Defour, Walters, Hendrick for example)

Hendricks did play, was he who Goalscorer Vokes replaced.

76538B58-D0FD-46C4-96EC-6ED41C6D6652.png

HeartOfWestLothian

Just thinking, progression to the next rounds of Europe might not be a bad thing for us. A better coefficient for us to use next season (hopefully) and maybe one of the European teams taking their eye off the ball in the cup early on...

Just seen on the news that Hib's original charter plane was cancelled and they had to get a smaller plane, meaning the 50 fans who were coming on the team flight, can no longer fly with them.

If any of the 50 are the guys who never made it to the Faroes, that would be as unlucky as it gets........until KO !

2 hours ago, Boab said:

Just seen on the news that Hib's original charter plane was cancelled and they had to get a smaller plane, meaning the 50 fans who were coming on the team flight, can no longer fly with them.

If any of the 50 are the guys who never made it to the Faroes, that would be as unlucky as it gets........until KO !

It’s ok Celtic have loaned them a plane .. all good?

brunoatemyhamster
2 hours ago, Boab said:

Correct me if i'm wrong , but the last time they played in Greece in European competition , did they not get stranded because some yahoos crashed a couple of planes into the WTC ? 

Coincidence ?

Edited by brunoatemyhamster

Celtic still 0-0 hope they go through tonight :)  tricky match against Athens next week then they are at Tynecastle followed by another game against Athens :) hope we can take advantage and get a result

2 minutes ago, James1874f said:

Celtic still 0-0 hope they go through tonight :)  tricky match against Athens next week then they are at Tynecastle followed by another game against Athens :) hope we can take advantage and get a result

One way to look at it I suppose and fair enough. I hope they get hammered. They are living dangerously tonight so far apparently. Luck. It’s their way

That Hendry lad has been mince, hopefully a sign of things to come. Sinclair still not looking like the lad in his first season. Gordon spilling a nothing cross. Brown given away a few balls. Hopefully it'll continue for a few weeks yet and it's not just preseason rust. 

2 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

One way to look at it I suppose and fair enough. I hope they get hammered. They are living dangerously tonight so far apparently. Luck. It’s their way

I wont lose too much sleep if they go out I suppose:clyay:  

Celtic look very average to say the least

Rosenberg don't have a goal scorer 

Soderland ? Should have scored 2-3 already 

it on Virgin 552 

Asteras 3 Hibs 0,

Rangers 2 Osijek 2,

Burnley 1 Aberdeen 2 (aet, perhaps).

Just a hunch about tomorrow. Certainly think Hibs are in for a pumping with their sieve like defence. 

23 minutes ago, JamboGraham said:

Celtic doing the coefficient no favours tonight by failing to beat a lower ranked side...

Useless on all counts. Useless cause they didn’t get emptied and useless for your reason. A club that’s a wart on the end of a cok

Edited by 1971fozzy

13 minutes ago, martoon said:

Asteras 3 Hibs 0,

Rangers 2 Osijek 2,

Burnley 1 Aberdeen 2 (aet, perhaps).

Just a hunch about tomorrow. Certainly think Hibs are in for a pumping with their sieve like defence. 

Hope they all get emptied but especially the vermin. I’d open a Malbec for that