Scottish teams in Europe.(merged)

Boab

1 hour ago, JamboGraham said:

Celtic doing the coefficient no favours tonight by failing to beat a lower ranked side...

Dont think it works like that.  They got 0.5 points for a draw.  I thought they'd have got the same points if they drew with anyone.  It doesnt take ranking into the calculation.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1971fozzy

• Morgan

• graygo

• Bazzas right boot

1 hour ago, JamboGraham said:

Celtic doing the coefficient no favours tonight by failing to beat a lower ranked side...

Sorry but the rank of the club makes no difference to the coefficient

15 minutes ago, Sydney said:

Dont think it works like that.  They got 0.5 points for a draw.  I thought they'd have got the same points if they drew with anyone.  It doesnt take ranking into the calculation.

Correct

JamboGraham
12 minutes ago, Sydney said:

Correct...but given the rankings they should be beating Rosenberg home and away...season after season someone at Celtic has a pop at the other Scottish teams not getting results against weaker opposition. Tonight it’s their turn...

Tin hat firmly on but by all accounts I don't mind Celtic getting their run to the group stage. Aye they'll get their money spinners against the PSGs the Barcas etc but every year I take great delight in watching them get rode silly by the European heavyweights to put them back in their place 

JamboGraham
7 minutes ago, Thommo414 said:

Tin hat firmly on but by all accounts I don't mind Celtic getting their run to the group stage. Aye they'll get their money spinners against the PSGs the Barcas etc but every year I take great delight in watching them get rode silly by the European heavyweights to put them back in their place 

Afraid I just can’t get on board with that...the league has long since gone but their utter financial dominance is now so complete it is squeezing the odds of a one off defeat in the cups right to the margins as well.

There are always going to be big and little fish but if one big fish keeps getting exponentially bigger year on year it will eventually starve the oxygen of everything else in the tank.

Jaap's Sigh
10 minutes ago, JamboGraham said:

Afraid I just can’t get on board with that...the league has long since gone but their utter financial dominance is now so complete it is squeezing the odds of a one off defeat in the cups right to the margins as well.

There are always going to be big and little fish but if one big fish keeps getting exponentially bigger year on year it will eventually starve the oxygen of everything else in the tank.

A perfect analogy. 

29 minutes ago, JamboGraham said:

I see what you're saying, and don't get me wrong, I absolutely hate the amount of money they get from the champions league, but for as long as it does happen, I will savour it every time they get torn a new arsehole by a top club. If Rosenberg had absolutely wiped the floor with them I would've been just as happy

3 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

Hope they all get emptied but especially the vermin. I’d open a Malbec for that

Get the bottle opener ready, Fozzy. 

Hibs are getting pumped. :sweeet:

Bazzas right boot

Wouldn't mind Aberdeen beating Burnley, hope the rest get emptied and if Aberdeen somehow get through, hope they get emptied next round. 

8 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

Wouldn't mind Aberdeen beating Burnley, hope the rest get emptied and if Aberdeen somehow get through, hope they get emptied next round. 

Only real reason to want them to go through is to shut up the folk down south who say we have a pub league etc.

Let them get pumped by a bunch of Germans or something in a rounds time 

The funny thing is that we've (Scotland) have already almost matched the coefficient we got in the 2015/16 season.

https://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/data/method5/ccoef2019.html

All these early qualifying rounds against diddy teams can actually be pretty useful as long as the teams win (that might be where the problem lies ;) )

Lord Beni of Gorgie

To our benefit if they all get pumped. Coefficient is a red herring. No more cash for any of them to strengthen is a bigger deal 

5 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

To our benefit if they all get pumped. Coefficient is a red herring. No more cash for any of them to strengthen is a bigger deal 

I think that's a bit of a narrow minded way of looking at it.

Whilst we know that some clubs will have a good season every now and again, the bigger picture of getting more European places and hopefully getting an easier draw in the competitions will only help us in the future.

Especially with the infrastructure we are building for the future it can only be a good thing.

9 hours ago, JamboGraham said:

I also agree with that analogy but can only see one way of increasing the chances of other teams to get a chance of getting into the group stages of the Champs League.

It's already getting more difficult and, possibly, may get worse. A scary thought, then, that domestic football is the ultimate ceiling for Scottish clubs.

We are not there yet so I hope we, as a country, can improve our standing so games like Spurs and Liverpool are not a thing we look back on as a thing of the past.

2 minutes ago, Van Wilder said:

Whilst we know that some clubs will have a good season every now and again, the bigger picture of getting more European places and hopefully getting an easier draw in the competitions will only help us in the future.

Especially with the infrastructure we are building for the future it can only be a good thing.

It directly affects Hearts in the future. Some people would rather we were all really shite in Europe to give us a chance of competing.

Baffling to me but, hey !

Just now, Boab said:

It directly affects Hearts in the future. Some people would rather we were all really shite in Europe to give us a chance of competing.

Baffling to me but, hey !

As much as I hate seeing the arse cheeks and the mutants doing well, Aberdeen i'm pretty indifferent too, if we continually get pumped it further increases the chances of us losing places in the competition and having to enter at the stage with a stupid amount of qualifying rounds.

Bring back the days of 2 Champs League places, straight into the Play Offs of Europa League and a couple of qualifying rounds.

People outside of Scotland look down at our game, and rightly so. It's mismanaged and getting pumped out of competitions like these from farmers only disparages the already shit reputation it's got.

No wonder we struggle for TV deals and get shafted from other clubs with transfer fees.

2 minutes ago, Van Wilder said:

As much as I hate seeing the arse cheeks and the mutants doing well, Aberdeen i'm pretty indifferent too, if we continually get pumped it further increases the chances of us losing places in the competition and having to enter at the stage with a stupid amount of qualifying rounds.

Bring back the days of 2 Champs League places, straight into the Play Offs of Europa League and a couple of qualifying rounds.

People outside of Scotland look down at our game, and rightly so. It's mismanaged and getting pumped out of competitions like these from farmers only disparages the already shit reputation it's got.

No wonder we struggle for TV deals and get shafted from other clubs with transfer fees.

I'm singing from that hymn sheet !

The best nights at Tynecastle, for me, were all European nights. Bar none. I could list them but it's depressing ! Quality performances. 

The Old Tolbooth
8 hours ago, Thommo414 said:

Only real reason to want them to go through is to shut up the folk down south who say we have a pub league etc.

Let them get pumped by a bunch of Germans or something in a rounds time 

I'm the same, half of me wants them to get a good hiding, the other half wants them to shove it up the EPL, Burnley are no bigger than Hearts, Hibs or Aberdeen historically, but they have a budget hundreds of times the size of ours thanks to cash handed to them on a plate, it's not the fault of Scottish clubs (apart from 2 of them) or fans where we are in comparison. 

Edited by johnmitchell

I'm not surprised that Celtic are through, I can see The Rangers doing it, Hibs are marginal due to losing 2 away goals but I can't see Aberdeen getting a result at Burnley.

I say Hibs are marginal and have a chance but if we played the first leg away and came back a goal down but with 2 away goals I'd be confident of winning, so c'mon the Greeks!

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Van Wilder said:

I believe Hibs have had wonderful draws. Rangers reasonably good too.

Bottom line if you get the quality level up and the proper prep then we should be getting more teams into the qualifying round. 

Getting beat to teams from Luxembourg Cyprus and Malta. I don't think they are difficult. It's poor prep and a lack of quality. These qualifiers should actually be progressively improving the match fitness. 

In Hibs case. Great to shake off the rust against the Faroese before tackling the Greeks. Could be an argument to say starting in Round 1 is beneficial. 

Burnley are a real anomaly 50 years out of Europe. Dull one for Aberdeen. 

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Van Wilder said:

I'm here, no problem in teams getting to the last qualifier. 

Do not want anyone getting to the group stage tho. 

Although if they do get humped out, it's still funny. 7-0 of Malmo and rangers last season was good for the soul, if not the Co efficient malarkey. 

Hibs and Huns both out on away goals. Sheep shagged. 

Edited by Juanjo15

weegie jambo

I'm not particularly bothered about the coefficient but far more interested in tonight's outcomes from a fun/emotional viewpoint. It's fun seeing Hibs leak goals like a sieve, the tie could go either way I feel. I would love the sheep to get a result if only to shut the English press and pundits up and as for the zombie I wish only them only the worse of fortune and misery, 'mon the Croats!  

Nookie Bear
4 hours ago, Van Wilder said:

If you think i'm cheering on the old firm, or the likes of hibs and aberdeen just so we can get a slightly easer draw into one of 23 qualifying rounds, then think again.

It's because we are shafted by TV deals that we cannot compete in Europe, not the other way round.

Mr Elwood P
2 hours ago, Supersonic94 said:

Asteras 3 Hibs 1

Rangers 1 Osijek 0

Aberdeen 0 Burnley 1 

Aberdeen v Burnley was already played last week and you’ve still predicted the wrong correct score!

4 hours ago, Van Wilder said:

Can’t agree with the two teams back in Champions League qualifying. That’s a sure fire way to reinforce OF domination while helping the MSM to perpetuate the myth that there is some sort of competition in the Scottish League. The only way there will be change here is when the Huns are forcefully made to realise that they are now one of the country’s diddy teams. In other words, when they fail to win a major trophy year after year. Given they’re so deluded it will take a while but then, and only then, will we have the prospect of meaningful development.

24 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

If you think i'm cheering on the old firm, or the likes of hibs and aberdeen just so we can get a slightly easer draw into one of 23 qualifying rounds, then think again.

It's because we are shafted by TV deals that we cannot compete in Europe, not the other way round.

I understand where you are coming from.

I'd like to clarify at no stage would I be cheering on any other club aside from Hearts. The fact that these clubs doing better is better for the Scottish game as a whole.

With the SFA/SPFL being run the way it is, has been and forever will be, we will always be subjected to below par deals with TV/Streaming etc. as Doncaster and the rest of the idiots continually downplay and under negotiate our game.

At least raising the profile of Scottish teams is something that can be done, suppose it depends on your perspective.

Just now, S Form said:

Can’t agree with the two teams back in Champions League qualifying. That’s a sure fire way to reinforce OF domination while helping the MSM to perpetuate the myth that there is some sort of competition in the Scottish League. The only way there will be change here is when the Huns are forcefully made to realise that they are now one of the country’s diddy teams. In other words, when they fail to win a major trophy year after year. Given they’re so deluded it will take a while but then, and only then, will we have the prospect of meaningful development.

In an ideal world it would be us in the Champs League place and not The Rangers, which is not at all impossible. They could implode again at any point.

Every season is a new chance, and change should be embraced and not discouraged.

Scottish Football needs more money brought into it in any avenue possible. 

joondalupjambo
16 hours ago, Thommo414 said:

I see what you're saying, and don't get me wrong, I absolutely hate the amount of money they get from the champions league, but for as long as it does happen, I will savour it every time they get torn a new arsehole by a top club. If Rosenberg had absolutely wiped the floor with them I would've been just as happy

But where does all their money go?  Year on year they get more and more yet they seem to spend less and less on players in terms of the ones they need and who could get them through the group stages.   Look at this season, sold for big money already and bought for more or less the same so break even nearly so far.  So where do all their profits go?   Directors dividends, loan re-payments, the ground?  Yeah players wages bill will be high but the Euro game crowds and season ticket money should take care of that I would have thought?

Brenda I think is getting the picture and seeing lots of biscuit tins lying around the club.   

Edited by joondalupjambo

jacklivi1874
1 minute ago, joondalupjambo said:

But where does all their money go?  Year on year they get more and more yet they seem to spend less on less on players who could get them through the group stages.   Look at this season, sold for big money and bought for more or less the same so where do all their profits go?   Directors dividends, loans re-payments, the ground?  Yeah players wages bill will be high but the crowds and season ticket money should take care of that I would have thought?

Brenda I think is getting the picture and seeing lots of biscuit tins lying around the club.   

I agree

The Tranny will hope a big club comes in for him soon even  if they qualify again he has done his job and will leave in good stock Re me thinks

The Celtic board are tighter than cramp but have cash if pushed

Rangers are jam today with there head in the sands, love to see them both go out especailly the buns and there sense of entitlement and arrogance , same with Hibs buts just spite

Aberdeen will toil no fussed Re 

5 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

But where does all their money go?  Year on year they get more and more yet they seem to spend less on less on players who could get them through the group stages.   Look at this season, sold for big money and bought for more or less the same so where do all their profits go?   Directors dividends, loans re-payments, the ground?  Yeah players wages bill will be high but the crowds and season ticket money should take care of that I would have thought?

In the year ending June '17, they had turnover/income of over £90 million. But only made a profit of less than £7 million. 

Their player wage bill went up £15 million! Mainly due to playing in the CL...

(To put that in context, Hearts total income for the same period was £11.2 million, so less than just the increase in the Celtic wage bill.)

I'd guess that although they are making big money they are still having to spend big money, the players would appear to be on heavily insentivised contracts.

Montgomery Brewster
4 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

All three being emptied tonight would do me nicely.

Is the correct answer 

Supersonic94
2 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Aberdeen v Burnley was already played last week and you’ve still predicted the wrong correct score!

These are my predictions

Would definitely say it’s in our best interests for Aberdeen to win tonight. Makes their team look better, and ultimately our league look better. Can’t hurt the transfer fees going forward when McKenna leaves them, and knock on effect when Souttar leaves us. 

joondalupjambo
24 minutes ago, SUTOL said:

In the year ending June '17, they had turnover/income of over £90 million. But only made a profit of less than £7 million. 

Their player wage bill went up £15 million! Mainly due to playing in the CL...

(To put that in context, Hearts total income for the same period was £11.2 million, so less than just the increase in the Celtic wage bill.)

I'd guess that although they are making big money they are still having to spend big money, the players would appear to be on heavily insentivised contracts.

So 83 mill gap between turnover and profit figure.  The figures that make up the balance sheet and p and l will show a bit more.  Things that bring the profit down will be telling.  If they always try to balance transfers in and out then they can only get limited investment in the better quality players needed.   That will never deliver real CL success and that is what Brenda says is his aim.   I think the board are happy to keep ahead of Rangers more than getting into the big prizes.

Tbh Aberdeen beating Burnley Is good for our league. TV companies will see this and think we have got our act together and if we are doing it regularly and qualifying ( not just Celtic and Rangers) then they might see as worthy of investment. 

Seymour M Hersh
Just now, AlimOzturk said:

Tbh Aberdeen beating Burnley Is good for our league. TV companies will see this and think we have got our act together and if we are doing it regularly and qualifying ( not just Celtic and Rangers) then they might see as worthy of investment. 

Nah, they won't. It'll be excused away as an aberration.

4 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

You think if our teams get regularly pumped oot of Europe,  we get less shafted by TV companies ?

Really ?

rudi must stay
52 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Nah, they won't. It'll be excused away as an aberration.

Or league won't be respected until we can attract a higher calibre of player. But signings like Sutton to Celtic won't happen anymore  because teams would sell to Italy or France before Scotland now because they have more money. Basically unless things change dramatically our league will be considered a poor league, to be honest deservedly so in the grand scheme of things.