"Super" John McGinn

wanderer

...a bit disco
1 minute ago, Musemic said:

Hate to be pedantic but Rangers and Celtic are provincial clubs in this country. The definition below fits them both perfectly

provincial
prəˈvɪnʃ(ə)l/
adjective

1. 2.
    of or concerning the regions outside the capital city of a country, especially when regarded as unsophisticated or narrow-minded.
    "provincial towns"
    synonyms: regional, state, territorial, district, local; More

'unsophisticated or narrow-minded.'

If ever a definition was nailed on.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rudy T

• Juanjo15

• jacklivi1874

• Mikey1874

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

John Findlay
1 minute ago, Musemic said:

Hate to be pedantic but Rangers and Celtic are provincial clubs in this country. The definition below fits them both perfectly

provincial
prəˈvɪnʃ(ə)l/
adjective

1. 2.
    of or concerning the regions outside the capital city of a country, especially when regarded as unsophisticated or narrow-minded.
    "provincial towns"
    synonyms: regional, state, territorial, district, local; More

They are indeed. Edinburgh is the capital city. Glasgow is a provincial city whether they like it or not. 

jacklivi1874

Hibs and a sense of enlightenment is funny beyond arrogance .OK if the mutant does go and St Midden get there bung of £2million I still think thats a result under the circumstances .I also wonder why the hooped filth are offering such numbers when they dont have to

Loving the hibsnet thread on McGinn, the descriptions of Celtic are priceless. All seemed to be forgetting all the favors they've had from Celtic in the last few years. Without Celtic they would not have won the cup and might still be scrambling  about the first division. You reap what you sow! You play with the big boys and eventually you have to pay your dues.

2 hours ago, Rudy T said:

Loving the hibsnet thread on McGinn, the descriptions of Celtic are priceless. All seemed to be forgetting all the favors they've had from Celtic in the last few years. Without Celtic they would not have won the cup and might still be scrambling  about the first division. You reap what you sow! You play with the big boys and eventually you have to pay your dues.

My boss at work, intelligent, shrewd and pretty sound guy, is a hibby. Soon as it comes to football all his common sense disappears.

I was saying i think McGinn is good but overrated so if they get more than £2m theyve done very well. He disagreed cos McGinns much better than Armstrong!!! What planet!!!???

Armstrong is a lot more overrated than McGinn at 8m in final year. And not a penny going to Dundee U I bet - unlike Hibs 33% to St Midden.

2 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

Armstrong is a lot more overrated than McGinn at 8m in final year. And not a penny going to Dundee U I bet - unlike Hibs 33% to St Midden.

Armstrong is the better player. Opinions but that ones black and white to me

kingantti1874
1 minute ago, TheBigO said:

Armstrong is a great player IMO

7 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

Not sure what St Mirren and Dundee Utd have to do with it....apart fro. ST Mirren are smarter at selling players than Utd?

Dalstonjambo
4 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Agreed. Comfortably a better player.

Re the relative fees, Armstrong being sold to the land of milk and honey helps too where £8m is like pennies. And in reality an EPL side will not buy a player for millions from this league unless it's from Celtic as they deem that to be a bit more of an indication of genuine talent. Having said that they did incredibly well to get £8m for him. 

Even an exceptional player from anyone other than Celtic will probably be sold down south for little more than £1m, and i'm not sure McGinn has shown anything to suggest he is anymore than a good player at this level. Armstrong looked far better at Dundee Utd than McGinn has for Hibs for example.

Edited by Dalstonjambo

26 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

My boss at work, intelligent, shrewd and pretty sound guy, is a hibby. Soon as it comes to football all his common sense disappears.

I was saying i think McGinn is good but overrated so if they get more than £2m theyve done very well. He disagreed cos McGinns much better than Armstrong!!! What planet!!!???

This Armstrong argument is their war cry. Totally unbiased, if you offered me one or the othrr I'd take Armstrong every day of the week. I'd also take McGeough over McGinn. I've yet to see the hype over McGinn the last Derby he was played off the park.

Tennant's  6's
1 minute ago, Rudy T said:

This Armstrong argument is their war cry. Totally unbiased, if you offered me one or the othrr I'd take Armstrong every day of the week. I'd also take McGeough over McGinn. I've yet to see the hype over McGinn the last Derby he was played off the park.

And he was shown up against Peru, although he wasn't alone in that regard. 

His lack of ability to pass & move the ball was all to apparent. His trademark forward runs & sticking his arse out, obstructing the opponent,  then falling over didn't work against higher calibre of opposition. 

crichiejambos
2 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Celtic and hibs are haming it up they're both starting to believe the hype over him if the fee goes to near 2million you only congratulate the flumps business well done! But McGinn won't make Celtic any stronger than they all ready are he's no gonna make any difference in Europe if that's what they think. will it weaken Hibs? probably but personally mcGeouch will be a bigger miss!

6 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:

It's Keith Jackson so I suspect he's made it up in his head! It's not exactly insightful journalism...he doesn't go now he'll either go in January or the summer....amazing stuff there Keith.

I reckon the minute Hibs are out of europe McGinn will be off to Celtic and a deal will be done for Allan. I'd say with Allan fee and St Mirrens cut Hibs will be lucky to get 500k out of the deal.

sairyinthat

If they get less than 50% of their valuation for him how is that likely to affect their media group ? As failures will their jobs at Johnson press still be secure.

Silvery_Moon

He is a decent enough player for them but in 3 derbies at Tynecastle last season we pretty much nullified him. 

Hibs not selling him is worst case scenario for them.

Even if they have his services for another year, he isn't going to be the difference which will earn Hibs 1.4 million (based on current 2 million bid) in league placing prize money.

They need to cash in now.

Hope he gets injured tonight.. Nothing massively serious but something that will take him about 4 months to recover from so he will only be getting back to playing just before the January transfer window.. Then Celtic putting their money back in their pocket.. 

In January they can sign him on a pre contract and offer Hibs 600k

gorgie rd eh11
17 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Even if they have his services for another year, he isn't going to be the difference which will earn Hibs 1.4 million (based on current 2 million bid) in league placing prize money.

Aye, despite all the bluster they’re desperate to sell him.

3 minutes ago, RussAsia said:

Hope he gets injured tonight.. Nothing massively serious but something that will take him about 4 months to recover from so he will only be getting back to playing just before the January transfer window.. Then Celtic putting their money back in their pocket.. 

In January they can sign him on a pre contract and offer Hibs 600k

They can offer Hibs hee haw in January unless they want him in that window...going by current bids I suspect they'll start around 150k

21 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Hibs get £1.14 million

St Mirren get £660k

John McGinn gets £200k, 10% of fee

Just now, Rudy T said:

They can offer Hibs hee haw in January unless they want him in that window...going by current bids I suspect they'll start around 150k

That would be pleasing.. The only sad thing is that McGinn will get a year on the bench at Celtic and then be back at Hibs on loan with Celtic picking up the majority of his salary.

Just now, RussAsia said:

That would be pleasing.. The only sad thing is that McGinn will get a year on the bench at Celtic and then be back at Hibs on loan with Celtic picking up the majority of his salary.

I doubt it. I reckon that love in may be dead following this carry on....They've got St Mirren back in the top league to use as a reserve team now.

8 minutes ago, gorgie rd eh11 said:

Aye, despite all the bluster they’re desperate to sell him.

Them leaking it to the press all these rejected bids appears to be the case.

4 minutes ago, RussAsia said:

I reckon he will go on and have a good career tbh.  He seems to strive with better players around him. 

9 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Hibs get £1.14 million

St Mirren get £660k

I've never seen it mentioned anywhere other than Kickback that McGinn gets a cut.

Not saying it's u true but is there any credible source for that?

10 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

I've never seen it mentioned anywhere other than Kickback that McGinn gets a cut.

Common knowkedge among journalists 

Michael Grant The Times said it recently 

Edited by Mikey1874

I can't see Celtic shifting much further than what they've already offered.  I can't believe they'll feel that getting McGinn will take them onto the next level in terms of where they are in Champions League standing.  And for that reason, I don't think Celtic will splash the cash that Hibs are looking for.

I think McGinn could potentially be a very good player, but at the moment he's merely decent - a stand-out in Hibs terms but a squad player for Celtic.

24 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

I think every contract has a 10% loyalty bonus built into it so if the player doesn't request a transfer then they get to claim that money..

Possibly what Hibs are holding out for. McGinn to put in a transfer request..

15 minutes ago, Haken said:

I can't see Celtic shifting much further than what they've already offered.  I can't believe they'll feel that getting McGinn will take them onto the next level in terms of where they are in Champions League standing.  And for that reason, I don't think Celtic will splash the cash that Hibs are looking for.

I think McGinn could potentially be a very good player, but at the moment he's merely decent - a stand-out in Hibs terms but a squad player for Celtic.

They can't play him in the qualifiers anyway...so they can just sit and wait now. If Hibs get smashed tonight McGinn will be a Celtic player by Tuesday for 2m... They will then start to negotiate on Allan.

132goals1958
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Hibs get £1.14 million

St Mirren get £660k

I think the £2 million figure would be VAT inclusive so the net amount  to be split is nearer £1.6 million

4 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

I think the £2 million figure would be VAT inclusive so the net amount  to be split is nearer £1.6 million

Cheers

Even less for Hibs!

4 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

So Hibs would get 1m? If he was our player I'd say eff Celtic.

Just now, JackLadd said:

So Hibs would get 1m? If he was our player I'd say eff Celtic.

Possibly not even that amount if the rumours are true about HBOS and Tom Farmer to get their cut.  Anyway if the story I heard yesterday from my Hibbe mate is true Celtic really are in the driving seat with this. He's heard that McGinn won't go anywhere else but Celtic and he's made that quite clear to the club. That being the case I have a feeling that despite all the hard ball being spouted down there in the end they will grab the 2m and Choose not to disclose the amount so that their fans can salvate about mega amounts in their own minds.

1 minute ago, Deevers said:

Possibly not even that amount if the rumours are true about HBOS and Tom Farmer to get their cut.  Anyway if the story I heard yesterday from my Hibbe mate is true Celtic really are in the driving seat with this. He's heard that McGinn won't go anywhere else but Celtic and he's made that quite clear to the club. That being the case I have a feeling that despite all the hard ball being spouted down there in the end they will grab the 2m and Choose not to disclose the amount so that their fans can salvate about mega amounts in their own minds.

It makes sense he would play in early round(s) of Europa League for Hibs too.

Once that's done he'll surely be away. 

4 minutes ago, Deevers said:

Dunno. 1m net when trimmed down is a poor deal unless you are desperate for cash which I don't think they are. 

1 minute ago, JackLadd said:

Dunno. 1m net when trimmed down is a poor deal unless you are desperate for cash which I don't think they are. 

Think the gun has very nearly been put to their head especially if he has told the club that he won't go elsewhere. It's accept now or in January accept a pittance. 

Those Hibs fans are weird, guy quite clearly wants away but they still refer to him as SJM mind you he is only going to the big cousins to play so he will still be super to them and no doubt end up on loan to them for seasons on end :lol:

9 minutes ago, Deevers said:

Think the gun has very nearly been put to their head especially if he has told the club that he won't go elsewhere. It's accept now or in January accept a pittance. 

A Super Pittance. :pleased:

26 minutes ago, Deevers said:

The HBOS Farmer rumours are just that.

Nonsense.

You are probably right about them not disclosing the fee though.

Just like the 500k they never wanted getting out when they sold Cummings (that info will be apparent in their next set of accounts however).

Edited by hughesie27

1 hour ago, Rudy T said:

They can't play him in the qualifiers anyway...so they can just sit and wait now. If Hibs get smashed tonight McGinn will be a Celtic player by Tuesday for 2m... They will then start to negotiate on Allan.

What I meant re. the European point is that I don't see McGinn as being the player that improves Celtic in a Champions League context.  It feels more like the old Celtic buy-a-player-to-weaken-domestic-opposition ruse.

1 hour ago, hughesie27 said:

The HBOS Farmer rumours are just that.

Nonsense.

You are probably right about them not disclosing the fee though.

Just like the 500k they never wanted getting out when they sold Cummings (that info will be apparent in their next set of accounts however).

Funnily enough, I was told about the HBOS cut by the same guy. I have always  been sceptical about Farmer getting a cut. I believe he gets his money paid back to him in other ways 

Spot on about Cummings and that will become an issue with a lot of them come the release of the accounts. Quite a concerted whispering campaign went on to lead them to believe they got more.

Was it not widely talked about at the time of their HBOS debt reduction, that part of the deal was that HBOS got a %age of future player sales to an agreed upon amount?

crichiejambos

McGinn is no going strengthen Celtic any more than they already are for the league anyway it's gonna weaken the flumps that's the only difference cos 2milllion is not going to be invested in the Hibs team,no chance.

11 minutes ago, Deevers said:

Funnily enough, I was told about the HBOS cut by the same guy. I have always  been sceptical about Farmer getting a cut. I believe he gets his money paid back to him in other ways 

Spot on about Cummings and that will become an issue with a lot of them come the release of the accounts. Quite a concerted whispering campaign went on to lead them to believe they got more.

4 minutes ago, Gav M said:

Was it not widely talked about at the time of their HBOS debt reduction, that part of the deal was that HBOS got a %age of future player sales to an agreed upon amount?

The % of future transfers was only firba temporary period. During which Hibs never sold anyone anyway.

Farmer gets his 40k or whatever it is every month. No other transfer deals in place.

5 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

The % of future transfers was only firba temporary period. During which Hibs never sold anyone anyway.

Farmer gets his 40k or whatever it is every month. No other transfer deals in place.

Correct.

£41,667 every month until the £5M they owe him is paid off.

Must be around 7 years to go:laugh:

Just now, Rudolf said:

Correct.

£41,667 every month until the £5M they owe him is paid off.

Must be around 7 years to go:laugh:

Which rather amusingly works out that if they average 2 home games a month at £20 per ticket roughly it means Farmer gets the ticket money from 1,041 people at the match. So pretty much he gets the earnings from away the away support every match if you take the OF, Hearts, and Aberdeen out the equation. 

SuperstarSteve
1 hour ago, vegas-voss said:

Those Hibs fans are weird, guy quite clearly wants away but they still refer to him as SJM mind you he is only going to the big cousins to play so he will still be super to them and no doubt end up on loan to them for seasons on end :lol:

To be fair a lot of us jambos (not me) still considered walker as "one of our own" even after him wanting that secco move. 

If I was you I'd be placing a bet on McGinn returning to hibs on loan ? You have nailed that one.

what did they pay for Scott Allan? The last hibs superstar and he couldn't even make their bench.