"Super" John McGinn

wanderer

EEN headline today about how Hibs are in for another uncertain summer as far as McGinn is concerned. a £3 million pound bid from Derby is suggested. Firstly, I don't believe ANYONE will pay £3 million for a player in the final year of his contract and secondly, I don't think there is the appetite out there to pay ANYTHING for his services. I can see McGinn doing a McGeough and going for nothing at the end of this season. Players know now if they leave on a free they have more clout in terms of wages.  I wonder what would happen if he went for a straight swap to Celtic with Allan. I think St Mirren would be fuming. Given they are due a 3rd of potential transfers. Either way the uncertainty weakens Hibs so as far as this window is concerned...I'm loving it...

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rudy T

• Juanjo15

• jacklivi1874

• Mikey1874

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hector Riva

My old boss a Sheffield Wednesday fan said to me that they were interested in McGinn?

Phil Dunphy

He seems to genuinely love the club, which doesn’t surprise me. They put him on the map. 

I think he’ll go. Now Armstrong is off down South, I wouldn’t be surprised if he was wearing a different pattern of green and grey by the end of August. 

He'll land up through west with Allan going to the Vermin as part of the deal and undoubtedly for a lot less than they think they are going to pocket for him.

He's a decent player at best. No one has come in for him cos he's too inconsistent. Said it countless times, in every derby he's played, it's never usually him that's stood out.

Last year of his contract you say? He'll leave on a free like McGeouch next summer.

He's in the last year of his contract, and a few teams would've seen how pish he was when playing at a higher level during his International appearances.

No danger will he go for anywhere near £3m. £1.5m max IMO.

queensferryjambo

There has to be loads of interest. 

Lennon has been trying his nuts off trying to sell him via the Daily Record and The Sun for the last 2 seasons, surely somebody with money reads those papers down South.

Lennon said he was worth 5 million. Seems like a sensible figure from a rational type of guy...............

gorgie rd eh11

I'll be surprised if he doesn't end up at celtic with people going the other way, continuing the cosy celtic/hibs relationship.

St Mirren should be alert to any underhand stuff that will rob them of what they are due.

We_are_the_Hearts
2 minutes ago, gorgie rd eh11 said:

I'll be surprised if he doesn't end up at celtic with people going the other way, continuing the cosy celtic/hibs relationship.

St Mirren should be alert to any underhand stuff that will rob them of what they are due.

Defo. Been talk of Allan and Griffiths or Biton

They have a problem.

Right now Hibs have their fans on side. It has been a rare few seasons for them. If they want to keep the money coming in they need to keep them on side. 

However, if John McGinn goes for less than 3m they will be furious. They are adamant this guy is worth a fortune. 

But he isn't that great. McGeouch was their best midfielder and gave McGinn the space to operate. He has been made to look very ordinary on many occasions. 

He is also now into his last year. So teams can snap him up on a pre contract come January. 

A club like Celtic already has established midfielders who could easily see them to January where a nominal fee would do or they could sign a cheaper option to see them until next summer.

He will be 24 in October. Not a youngster anymore. While players never really stop developing, He should be nearing his "finished article" stage now and if that is the case I don't see him making Celtic a champions league group stage winner.

Long story short Hibs will deserve massive credit if they get anything near 3m. I would actually be impressed if they can get half that now. 

kingantti1874

hes great at shielding the ball with his big arse, hitting the brakes and inevitably falling over .. that aside .. I don't see a 3m pound player

I’d heard from a member of the hibs coaching staff that there was a strong possibility McGinn would be signing a contract extension.

7 minutes ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

I would be absolutely STUNNED if Griffiths or Biton went to Hibs. I can't see that happening at all. 

Gimme an H...
13 minutes ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

Allan - definite possibility.

Griffiths - highly doubt it, he could easily do a job in the EPL.

Biton - Celtic would be getting the raw deal, Biton is twice the player McGinn is.

If they get their valuation, they will shout about it. If they don't they will use the undisclosed fee route 

Italian Lambretta
7 minutes ago, Hokow said:

If they get their valuation, they will shout about it. If they don't they will use the undisclosed fee route 

Yep and everyone will know he went for peanuts. Personally I don’t think he’s worth even that much

23 minutes ago, Cheile said:

IF Hibs get any fee for the wee welt, Tom Farmer will get a good wedge of it.

He's not the only one... St Mirren will also get a wedge.

Hibs best option appears to be a swap deal for Allan at Celtic. They get a player and mess around with valuations and give less to St Mirren. How much appetite there is from Celtic for that deal remains to be seen, they want Allan off the books but not sure they're bursting to get McGinn, they can pretty much make the deal anytime so I'm sure they'll concentrate on other signings first.

23 minutes ago, Gimme an H... said:

Allan - definite possibility.

Griffiths - highly doubt it, he could easily do a job in the EPL.

Biton - Celtic would be getting the raw deal, Biton is twice the player McGinn is.

Griffiths and Biton would have to take a massive drop in wages when they could easily achieve as much as they are earning now if they moved south.

Don't know about Biton, but Griffiths' alley cat lifestyle has had consequences that will need long-term financing.

Jeez,........ the poor guy couldn't even afford that Twix out of Teso's and had to resort to desperate measures. 

Not so sure that Allan would be on the same sort of wedge as those two.

If not, I can see him being the other party in this deal and going to Easter Road with a slice of cash for McGinn.

If they don't sell now, his value whatever it is, will have plummetted by January.

Edited by Busby8

Brick Tamland

He'll only be in demand if there is a remake of Deliverance.

Heavy holed, ugly tosser that he is.

heartsfc_fan

Do St Mirren not get a high sell on from any McGinn transfer? 25%-30%? That'll be why Hibs are asking an inflated price for him.

The only people who would be interested in this inbred mutant are the Chernobyl research committee.

Edited by i8hibsh

46 minutes ago, Hokow said:

Im sure it will be disclosed because they will be due St Mirren dosh. 

heartmussel
1 hour ago, wigwam123 said:

I would be absolutely STUNNED if Griffiths or Biton went to Hibs. I can't see that happening at all. 

Griffiths would jump at the chance,loan deal. Christie, Hayes names banded about also.

Uses his ass in the same way as Gascoigne did, I'm surprised they don't call him McGinna...He's a good player, and they may get some money for him, or they may not. Won't be £3m though.

I'd expect that the two lovers to be doing business with one another all summer.  Celtic will help their wee pals out.

My guess is mcGinn will wait till January and sign a pre contract with Celtic. No chance Biton or Griffiths will be going the other way. They’d have to take a 75% wage cut.

Allan is another mercenary who would go to the highest bidder. When he gets told to leave Celtic, if it’s a case of £2.5k a week at hibs or £4k a week at Oldham, he’ll be heading down the road.

1 hour ago, buzzbomb said:

I’d heard from a member of the hibs coaching staff that there was a strong possibility McGinn would be signing a contract extension.

If he signed a contract extension does that supercede the St Mirren deal or would a cut still have to be paid to them

Cruyff Turn

Could be interest, he's not a bad player but he's not a great one either, I certainly don't agree that he has deserved the caps he's won which have inflated his value somewhat. 

St Mirren have a 30-33% sell on clause as well and with a left on his contract he's probably worth 600k maybe?, which means Hibs will see 400k of that or thereabouts. 

McGeouch is the bigger loss of the two

They can't get out of paying St Mirren what they are due by taking players in exchange.

The market value of said player would surely be added to calculate the fee.

Dalstonjambo
1 minute ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Could be interest, he's not a bad player but he's not a great one either, I certainly don't agree that he has deserved the caps he's won which have inflated his value somewhat. 

St Mirren have a 30-33% sell on clause as well and with a left on his contract he's probably worth 600k maybe?, which means Hibs will see 400k of that or thereabouts. 

McGeouch is the bigger loss of the two

I'm sure I also read the bank gets a cut of transfers, a la dundee utd as per the deals of farmer coming to a deal on the debt. Or am i talking rubbish? 

Even if they don't that 400k probably pays off Farmer for the year and not much else.  

Agree re McGeouch, always thought he was the better player.

Cruyff Turn
15 minutes ago, Dalstonjambo said:

I'm sure I also read the bank gets a cut of transfers, a la dundee utd as per the deals of farmer coming to a deal on the debt. Or am i talking rubbish? 

Even if they don't that 400k probably pays off Farmer for the year and not much else.  

Agree re McGeouch, always thought he was the better player.

No idea whether it's correct, as unlike Hibs supporters with us, I don't take a great interest in their finances, their pitch, etc..  but I've heard similar. 

2 hours ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

Griffiths is under contract til 2021 (BBC)  Biton til 2020 (wiki, so maybe less reliable) so I can't see either of them happily move to Fester Rd, where they would be on significantly lower wages. Allan is an obvious possibility as he's unlikely to get a sniff of first team football at Celtic. 

Heard from a hobo yesterday that the word is they are getting £2.3m plus Allan from Celtic plus McGinn back on season long loan. When I asked why Celtic would pay over £2.5m for a player just to loan him back to Hibs for an entire season he didn’t have an answer. Deluded or what? 

5 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Heard from a hobo yesterday that the word is they are getting £2.3m plus Allan from Celtic plus McGinn back on season long loan. When I asked why Celtic would pay over £2.5m for a player just to loan him back to Hibs for an entire season he didn’t have an answer. Deluded or what? 

That makes no sense whatsoever as they could say to McGinn stay at Hibs this season and sign a pre contract in Jan and we will give you an extra £5k a week.

They save £2.3m and get the player in the same time period.

rudi must stay

I've heard from some hibees that he isn't even that good and they would be quite happy if he left for a big fee

Guess it's all down to opinions but I think he's decent and we seem to be far too accepting that Scottish based players are worth only a fraction of those anywhere else. Compared to what Championship and even Div 1 teams pay for players he's worth £3m imho.

11 minutes ago, Jamboelite said:

That makes no sense whatsoever as they could say to McGinn stay at Hibs this season and sign a pre contract in Jan and we will give you an extra £5k a week.

They save £2.3m and get the player in the same time period.

If he’s out of contract next summer perhaps clubs down South could offer more wages and signing on fee that Celtic could match then?  Not that I think he will be anywhere near Easter Road next season. £2m plus Scott Allan on a perm and Hayes on loan. 

sairyinthat
1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

I'd expect that the two lovers to be doing business with one another all summer.  Celtic will help their wee pals out.

Celtic loan players for one reason only and that is to ensure points are taken from any potential threat to their annual bounty from Europe while ensuring they cant play against them.Check the number of clubs who are in thrall to Celtic.It's called manipulating the league.

2 minutes ago, feedthefox said:

Guess it's all down to opinions but I think he's decent and we seem to be far too accepting that Scottish based players are worth only a fraction of those anywhere else. Compared to what Championship and even Div 1 teams pay for players he's worth £3m imho.

Celtic get £8m for Armstrong plus add onns...it’s not even much of a gamble when you see some of the shite Lennon brought into Celtic for millions. 

Vastly overrated. Hibs will be doing very well to even get 2m 

Last season he scored 5 goals, 2 Assists and picked up 15 yellow cards.

Collected more bookings than goals and assists combined.

Jamboscanbevicius
1 hour ago, luckydug said:

They can't get out of paying St Mirren what they are due by taking players in exchange.

The market value of said player would surely be added to calculate the fee.

It is not difficult... and Lawell and Dempster aren’t stupid!

Celtic pay a reduced fee, let’s say £250k for McGinn. Paperwork is nice and clean. Agreed fee = purchase and a % goes to St Mirren.

Behind closed doors they have a gentleman’s agreement, that in a separate deal Scott Allan signs again on loan, or indeed permanently for Hibs for an undisclosed fee (let’s say £1). This is legally a separate deal so you can’t place an arbitrary value on the player and insist a % is paid to St Mirren.

Good chance of this type of arrangement between these two!

1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

The hobo is wrong. Celtic aren't paying 2.3m for McGinn and giving them Scott Allan. They simply don't have too. Celtic hold all the aces, they have a player Hibs want and McGinn has a year left. Celtic can keep Allan and loan him elsewhere and sign McGinn for free in January and Hibs get nada.. no player and no fee. It's likely to happen the McGinn / Allan swap but that's likely to be what it is a swap deal.