"Super" John McGinn

wanderer

10 hours ago, CJGJ said:

seemingly new £2 million bid made By Celtic

If this is true then I can see Celtic walking away and coming back in jan

They wont be doing hibs anymore favours in giving them players if hibs won’t accept their offer 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rudy T

• Juanjo15

• jacklivi1874

• Mikey1874

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

John Findlay

Hibs about to find out the hard way who the senior partner really is in this relationship.

3 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Hibs about to find out the hard way who the senior partner really is in this relationship.

Similar to Rangers/Walker scenario apart from the fact Hibs would get paid .

Not sure we can criticise Hibs too much for their stance ?

Suspect Celtic will get McGinn , nobody apart from Celtic can afford to turn down £2m .

Maybe Hibs are hoping for interest from down south ? Though if McGinn wants to go west only what can they do ?

5 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

£2 Million means that if it was accepted, St Mirren get £660,000 from that.

That's why, Ideally, Hibs baws this up big time and he leaves for sweet fa next summer. 

2 minutes ago, Juanjo15 said:

That's why, Ideally, Hibs baws this up big time and he leaves for sweet fa next summer. 

I'd prefer him to go on the last minute of the window. Means they lose McGinn and Hibs and St Mirren are sat there unable to buy anyone they actually want.

11 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Ok can Hibs afford to turn down

£1.34m ?

Think your point re SM could be one reason they are playing hardball . 

Risky strategy though

2 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

I'd prefer him to go on the last minute of the window. Means they lose McGinn and Hibs and St Mirren are sat there unable to buy anyone they actually want.

They would still have cash though.  I prefer them to both get feck all and Celtic rinse them both. 

2 minutes ago, Juanjo15 said:

They would still have cash though.  I prefer them to both get feck all and Celtic rinse them both. 

True but that depends on McGinns mind set if he doesn't get a move. He's integral to their midfield so he may be worth keeping?

12 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

True but that depends on McGinns mind set if he doesn't get a move. He's integral to their midfield so he may be worth keeping?

They/he still won't be as good as/playing beside McGeough or Allan if he stays though and I'm fairly certain they will be pish again and squinty eye will take St Mirren down so the money in the back would be more of a loss to both teams. 

13 minutes ago, Juanjo15 said:

They/he still won't be as good as/playing beside McGeough or Allan if he stays though and I'm fairly certain they will be pish again and squinty eye will take St Mirren down so the money in the back would be more of a loss to both teams. 

I guess then the ideal scenario is he stays and is so gutted about not going to Celtic his toys are firmly out the pram!

joondalupjambo
1 hour ago, heartsfc_fan said:

And there could be an issue over how the balance is paid, i.e. perhaps not all up front.  If that was the case then a poor deal for Hibs overall.  Lose their best player to a rival, having to wait for money and feeling that they have been mugged.   

Seymour M Hersh

How long is left on banjo boy's contract? Do they face losing him for nada in January?  The complete lack of interest (as far as we know & surely the EEN would be creaming themselves if there was) from down south must also weaken their negotiating position. 

8 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

How long is left on banjo boy's contract? Do they face losing him for nada in January?  The complete lack of interest (as far as we know & surely the EEN would be creaming themselves if there was) from down south must also weaken their negotiating position. 

Yeah final year.  Pre contract in a few months.  

1 hour ago, Rudy T said:

He will also ensure that he doesn't pick up any serious injuries before January, in case it impacts his move west.

Think he'll be much less of an influence this season, especially with no McGeoch beside him.

1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Even if there is interested parties down south he can say no he wants the Celtic move, which pretty much leaves hibs fecked

Mr Brightside

Risky strategy from Hibs as there doesn't seem to be much interest from elsewhere.

Do Celtic really need McGinn, probably not so they can get him on PCA in January for zero.  Celtic will have an upper limit on what they are willing to pay and will be happy to wait until the next transfer window.

Can I put myself up for abuse here... yeah, I'm going to do it....

Good on Hibs.  Whatever they get in the end, ranging from £2m, £2m plus a player or two, or heehaw when he leaves on a PCA, they've stood up and applied their own valuation, which is totally their right to do.

Ok, it's fine having a fanciful valuation, but at the end of the day, you need to send out the message you won't be bullied.  It's about setting precedents, is it not?  If you end up with Danderhall at the end of the season when he leaves on freedom of contract, well, frankly, I don't disagree with that being better than the OF or English teams setting the value for the rest of us.  The selling team decides the minimum value, based on whatever they want to base it on.  Aye, good on them.

The other thing that has come up in this thread is just how cosy they are with Celtic.  That, is less defendable.  OK, they maybe don't care as it has brought them a level of success, but at the end of the day, the "emergency" loans, the beefing up of the Celtic kids like Henderson, the Scott Allan situation, Neil Lennon's continued love affair with his true masters, his greater joy in a Rangers loss than a Hibs win.  If it was Hearts and Celtic or Rangers, I would not be happy at all.  Not one bit.  Guess it sums Hibs up though - all fake romance.

doctor jambo

Out the £2mill, by the time St Mirren and farmer are paid out of that, it actually leaves Hibs with not  very much

10 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Out the £2mill, by the time St Mirren and farmer are paid out of that, it actually leaves Hibs with not  very much

The good old "Farmer gets a cut of transfer fees" myth.

doctor jambo
4 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

The good old "Farmer gets a cut of transfer fees" myth.

Nope, the "farmer gets paid a chunk of money annually by Hibs that needs covered somehow" fact

NaturalOrder74

Not any point in hibs accepting 2 million when St Mirren get such a big cut of it, Celtic must know that, I wasn't expecting the third bid to be any less than 3 million to be honest and seems like they are just having a laugh at the expense of their feeder club

11 minutes ago, NaturalOrder74 said:

Not any point in hibs accepting 2 million when St Mirren get such a big cut of it, Celtic must know that, I wasn't expecting the third bid to be any less than 3 million to be honest and seems like they are just having a laugh at the expense of their feeder club

No chance will they get 3m

celtic weren’t going to bid 1.75 then jump to 3 

Also it’s nothing to do with Celtic that st Mirren are due a cut 

Edited by theshed

McGinn isn’t going to add any strength or quality to a team like Celtic. He will be 6th choice centre mid right now. There’s absolutely no need for Celtic to pay over the odds. They have Bitton and Kouassi (sp) that can’t get near the team.

Think it’s a case of Celtic chucking in a few bids and if they get him now then fine. If not then they’ll get him in January for heehaw. If he goes elsewhere then no big deal, atleast he’s not at a rival club.

20 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Nope, the "farmer gets paid a chunk of money annually by Hibs that needs covered somehow" fact

Aye fair enough.

Hibs also have a salary they pay all their staff so they'll probably end up with not a lot after this transfer.

Edited by hughesie27

NaturalOrder74
25 minutes ago, theshed said:

No chance will they get 3m

celtic weren’t going to bid 1.75 then jump to 3 

Also it’s nothing to do with Celtic that st Mirren are due a cut 

I'm not suggesting they will or wont get three million I personally think that's well over priced for a player of his standard.

I'm just suggesting from hibs perspective when St Mirren are taking a cut why would they accept that minimal increase to the bid

It might not directly have anything to do with Celtic, but they will be aware of it and I feel its no different than the Jamie Walker situation in the sense that Celtic are just chancing their luck.

15 minutes ago, NaturalOrder74 said:

I'm not suggesting they will or wont get three million I personally think that's well over priced for a player of his standard.

I'm just suggesting from hibs perspective when St Mirren are taking a cut why would they accept that minimal increase to the bid

It might not directly have anything to do with Celtic, but they will be aware of it and I feel its no different than the Jamie Walker situation in the sense that Celtic are just chancing their luck.

Said the other week Celtic and Rangers always try their luck with low bids but as soon as one of their players is getting fold then they want top dollar

crichiejambos

If mcGinn was playing in the championship in England or any league in Europe Celtic would have paid the going rate end off no questions asked! But as per they are taking the p#_% of Scotland and a Scottish team irrespective of how we feel about them just shows again Celtics total lack of respect for the country they belong to! 

14 minutes ago, crichiejambos said:

If mcGinn was playing in the championship in England or any league in Europe Celtic would have paid the going rate end off no questions asked! But as per they are taking the p#_% of Scotland and a Scottish team irrespective of how we feel about them just shows again Celtics total lack of respect for the country they belong to! 

What's the going rate for John McGinn with a year left?? Celtic deem it to be 2m. No other club has bid so as it stands that's what the going rate is for McGinn. Celtic don't need to bid..They can wait till January and get him for free. So in reality they're doing the opposite to what you say.

Can't see any club paying more unless McG signs a new contract, like Craig Gordon.

Means Hibs keep a disenchanted, large-bottomed player for another season and get no money.

All sounds good to me.

crichiejambos
57 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

What's the going rate for John McGinn with a year left?? Celtic deem it to be 2m. No other club has bid so as it stands that's what the going rate is for McGinn. Celtic don't need to bid..They can wait till January and get him for free. So in reality they're doing the opposite to what you say.

So he's going to Celtic then? 

jacklivi1874

Imagine no taking 2 mill, thats just mental

Celtic and Hibs must have a swallowing relationship for that fee to be accepted  never mind offered in the first place 

2 hours ago, crichiejambos said:

So he's going to Celtic then? 

Dunno mate? But let's look at it from the other side. Hibs have had how many Celtic players on loan? The latest Scott Allan...if they want him so much why don't they pay the going rate for him rather than try and loan him leaving Celtic to pick up three quarters of his wage. Also the lad Kamberi, they agree a fee and rightly claimed him for that fee despite there big much bigger bids on the table...should Hibs have paid the going rate? 

What I know is McGinn wasn't happy that they rejected a bid in January from down south...They promised they'd let him move on in the Summer now they're not so keen most likely because of the sell on fee...so are hibs in turn doing St Mirren out of money by not accepting the highest bid?

Bottom line is, it's football but alo a business so Celtic and Hibs and everyone else look after their own business first.

Nookie Bear
6 hours ago, DS98 said:

McGinn isn’t going to add any strength or quality to a team like Celtic. He will be 6th choice centre mid right now. There’s absolutely no need for Celtic to pay over the odds. They have Bitton and Kouassi (sp) that can’t get near the team.

Think it’s a case of Celtic chucking in a few bids and if they get him now then fine. If not then they’ll get him in January for heehaw. If he goes elsewhere then no big deal, atleast he’s not at a rival club.

This. They are looking to get a squad player that knows the Scottish game and who will do them a decent turn for a year or two. 

If if they don’t get McGinn now, they can wait til summer and get him for nothing, or they can pick up another midfielder of similar quality from elsewhere. 

If if it means hibs and st Mirren lose out on cash then all the better. 

3 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Poor Scott Allan

Left in limbo

Surely a journalist will cover this tragic story 

Sounds like a job for Aiden.  Plenty of scope for warrior poetry and I'm sure with his unquestioned skill he can fit in 0-7 somewhere along the line.

crichiejambos
13 hours ago, Rudy T said:

Dunno mate? But let's look at it from the other side. Hibs have had how many Celtic players on loan? The latest Scott Allan...if they want him so much why don't they pay the going rate for him rather than try and loan him leaving Celtic to pick up three quarters of his wage. Also the lad Kamberi, they agree a fee and rightly claimed him for that fee despite there big much bigger bids on the table...should Hibs have paid the going rate? 

What I know is McGinn wasn't happy that they rejected a bid in January from down south...They promised they'd let him move on in the Summer now they're not so keen most likely because of the sell on fee...so are hibs in turn doing St Mirren out of money by not accepting the highest bid?

Bottom line is, it's football but alo a business so Celtic and Hibs and everyone else look after their own business first.

Yeah it's now a business sadly and the actual playing of football comes way down the list of priorities but what I'm getting at is that if McGinn had no links with Scotland or just say a similar player age,playing style ect and he played on the continent Celtic wouldn't be fecking about we shitty bids they'd go in and get him end of story, but he's playing for one of the minions so we Celtic the big team will show Hibernian the wee team (pardon the pun) we will pay what we want! They wouldn't do that in any other country other than here that's what I mean.

queensferryjambo
15 hours ago, jacklivi1874 said:

Imagine no taking 2 mill, thats just mental

You have to remember Hibs won't get 2 million as there is a sell on clause in McGinn's contract. 

They will only get a percentage of 2 million.

Radio Ga Ga
1 minute ago, queensferryjambo said:

You have to remember Hibs won't get 2 million as there is a sell on clause in McGinn's contract. 

They will only get a percentage of 2 million.

What percentage do St Midden get?

brunoatemyhamster
9 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

30 percent ive heard from a couple of Hobos. Not like the tache to play such a dangerous game. 6 months and its 70 percent of nothing for the balance sheets. If Celtic dont qualify for the CL i dont even think they will bother coming back in for him.

Edited by brunoatemyhamster

1 minute ago, brunoatemyhamster said:

30 percent ive heard from a couple of Hobos. Not like the tache to play such a dangerous game. 6 months and its 60 percent of nothing for the balance sheets. If Celtic dont qualify for the CL i dont even think they will bother coming back in for him.

Will he not be cup tied for European games.Hes played for hibs in Europa league.

16 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

According to a fanatical Hibby I know, it’s actually 33%, although others have suggested 30%. Either way, it’s a sizeable chunk. 

4 minutes ago, obua said:

Will he not be cup tied for European games.Hes played for hibs in Europa league.

Seemingly it’s only the group stages of the competitions that ‘tie’ you. So only if Hibs got to the group stages and played him would...sorry, I took that too far. 

Jambof3tornado
3 minutes ago, Mr Sifter said:

According to a fanatical Hibby I know, it’s actually 33%, although others have suggested 30%. Either way, it’s a sizeable chunk. 

Seemingly it’s only the group stages of the competitions that ‘tie’ you. So only if Hibs got to the group stages and played him would...sorry, I took that too far. 

To be exact it is 1/3rd of any fee that St Midden get.

59 minutes ago, crichiejambos said:

Yeah it's now a business sadly and the actual playing of football comes way down the list of priorities but what I'm getting at is that if McGinn had no links with Scotland or just say a similar player age,playing style ect and he played on the continent Celtic wouldn't be fecking about we shitty bids they'd go in and get him end of story, but he's playing for one of the minions so we Celtic the big team will show Hibernian the wee team (pardon the pun) we will pay what we want! They wouldn't do that in any other country other than here that's what I mean.

I don't disagree that Celtic will always try and get players from Scottish clubs on the cheap but that comes down to the mentality of the players also. Guys see going to the old firm as the pinnacle of their career and in turn make it easy for the old firm. Now there is big money available down south more are choosing that route but that's just as damaging to clubs like us who can fend off the old firm more now than ever but the millions on offer to play for some wee town English club is a problem to us. 

I just think in this case Hibs have made their bed with their relationship with Celtic and now Celtic are effectively calling in the favours Hibs have spat the dummy. Except they've gone about it all wrong. They should never have said 5m for McGinn all that's created is a fan pressure not to sell for less than that. They knew a bid would come so wait for it then say to Celtic on the quiet...we'll take 2.5 and give us Allan...or something along those lines. What they've done is turned this into a circus for all to see. And as you say Celtic will get their way!

crichiejambos
33 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

I don't disagree that Celtic will always try and get players from Scottish clubs on the cheap but that comes down to the mentality of the players also. Guys see going to the old firm as the pinnacle of their career and in turn make it easy for the old firm. Now there is big money available down south more are choosing that route but that's just as damaging to clubs like us who can fend off the old firm more now than ever but the millions on offer to play for some wee town English club is a problem to us. 

I just think in this case Hibs have made their bed with their relationship with Celtic and now Celtic are effectively calling in the favours Hibs have spat the dummy. Except they've gone about it all wrong. They should never have said 5m for McGinn all that's created is a fan pressure not to sell for less than that. They knew a bid would come so wait for it then say to Celtic on the quiet...we'll take 2.5 and give us Allan...or something along those lines. What they've done is turned this into a circus for all to see. And as you say Celtic will get their way!

Aye he will end up at Celtic no doubt about that! Serve them right if he ended up going down south for less than 2million serve them both right. Yes over the years you've only to mention a good young player with a provincial club in the same breath as Rangers and Celtic and the press are like a dog with bone sadly very few work out they end up getting way layed and their potential is lost but Rangers and Celtic glory on then do it all over again.

1 hour ago, crichiejambos said:

Aye he will end up at Celtic no doubt about that! Serve them right if he ended up going down south for less than 2million serve them both right. Yes over the years you've only to mention a good young player with a provincial club in the same breath as Rangers and Celtic and the press are like a dog with bone sadly very few work out they end up getting way layed and their potential is lost but Rangers and Celtic glory on then do it all over again.

Hate to be pedantic but Rangers and Celtic are provincial clubs in this country. The definition below fits them both perfectly

provincial
prəˈvɪnʃ(ə)l/
adjective

1. 2.
    of or concerning the regions outside the capital city of a country, especially when regarded as unsophisticated or narrow-minded.
    "provincial towns"
    synonyms: regional, state, territorial, district, local; More