• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

John mcCartney
34 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_2609.JPG

construction of harry lauder road at baileyfield road ,portobello.....edinburgh-london main line and back end of craigentinny depot in background

31 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Dudley gardens ? 

It's Dudley something - not sure what Street. That wall on the right will be able to tell us if it's still there

IMG_2606.JPG

Edited by Maroon Sailor

Governor Tarkin
34 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_2612.JPG

Loved the Clock Inn. Absolute shithole. Remember dancing on the pool table after the cup winning parade in '98 and sitting out the back door on the empty kegs as the place was heaving. Lovely sunny day it was too. It was also a handy place to pick up some dancing sweeties on the way into town after the match.

Edit.

I also had my first run-in with Big Bernie in there. He took exception to my dreadlocks (Henrik Larsson was battering them in for the terrorists at the time), and started calling me a fenian white n*****.  Didn't have much to do with him after that.

Edited by Governor Tarkin

13 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Need to go back and find the page, definitely said it was morningside. Did you get the third one?

No.

I’ve got Waitrose. The wee church opposite Falcon House.  Can’t get the third or the fourth.  The fifth is Morningside Station and I’m sure the sixth one (the church) isn’t Morningside at all.

26 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Loved the Clock Inn. Absolute shithole. Remember dancing on the pool table after the cup winning parade in '98 and sitting out the back door on the empty kegs as the place was heaving. Lovely sunny day it was too. It was also a handy place to pick up some dancing sweeties on the way into town after the match.

Edit.

I also had my first run-in with Big Bernie in there. He took exception to my dreadlocks (Henrik Larsson was battering them in for the terrorists at the time), and started calling me a fenian white n*****.  Didn't have much to do with him after that.

Bernie was normally so gentile too.

On 10/09/2018 at 11:18, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_1721.JPG

MS?  Did we get an answer to this one?  My wife thought it was either Lutton Place or Rankeillor Street but Bob Sharp said it definitely wasn’t and that he thought it was maybe Beaumont Place. Thanks.

luckyBatistuta
36 minutes ago, Morgan said:

No.

I’ve got Waitrose. The wee church opposite Falcon House.  Can’t get the third or the fourth.  The fifth is Morningside Station and I’m sure the sixth one (the church) isn’t Morningside at all.

The third one said it was at Comiston road, Morningside. I reckon it’s at the right hand bend heading in to town on Buckstone terrace, where the Charwood is. The fourth one said it was outside the Falcon Hall?  I’ve no idea about the church, need to do some searching on that later at home.

luckyBatistuta
1 minute ago, Morgan said:

MS?  Did we get an answer to this one?  My wife thought it was either Lutton Place or Rankeillor Street but Bob Sharp said it definitely wasn’t and that he thought it was maybe Beaumont Place. Thanks.

Definitely with Bob on it being Bowmont Place.

luckyBatistuta
4 minutes ago, Morgan said:

View of crags looks like the same angle..

76586C66-E25A-4E2A-BD8D-CB2BF54F0275.jpeg

F6282C77-B692-4507-9A65-9A3B50141121.jpeg

15 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

The third one said it was at Comiston road, Morningside. I reckon it’s at the right hand bend heading in to town on Buckstone terrace, where the Charwood is. The fourth one said it was outside the Falcon Hall?  I’ve no idea about the church, need to do some searching on that later at home.

That wee church place, opposite Falcon House (where my mum lived latterly) has been there forever and I’ve never seen it open!

Never ever heard of Falcon Hall but guess it’s near Falcon Gardens.

49 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Agreed.

That’s what I meant earlier but for some stupid reason I typed ‘St. Giles’ :facepalm: 

That's what a Heriot's education does for you:lol:.

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

The only Clock Inn I can think of is on Dalry Road.

You’re correct, that is Dalry Road with the Clock Inn long demolished, think this is roughly where Lldl is now

8 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

You’re correct, that is Dalry Road with the Clock Inn long demolished, think this is roughly where Lldl is now

:thumbsup:

luckyBatistuta
21 minutes ago, Morgan said:

That wee church place, opposite Falcon House (where my mum lived latterly) has been there forever and I’ve never seen it open!

I’ve posted pictures previously of Falcon House. It was a beautiful mansion, which the gates from, now hang outside Edinburgh Zoo. I’m sure part of the building was used in another building on Duncan street. 

luckyBatistuta
34 minutes ago, Morgan said:

F41A3541-8A9C-4204-9408-E9F9BC727664.jpeg

D0A8AA6C-EAA1-43AA-BBDA-8C654EC120FA.jpeg

2F624FB1-8ECA-42E8-B7EA-0AE82270E698.jpeg

D3686618-C4C1-4142-A8E1-3B587B16ACAA.jpeg

217D8D1C-1F69-408B-91BA-C4CB234525B7.jpeg

Edited by luckyBatistuta

In 1911, when the firm moved to new premises in Duncan Street, Edinburgh, the central portion of the Falcon Hall facade was re-erected on this new site, where it remains today.

duncan st.jpg

falcon hall.jpg

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

Christ!  I’ve never even heard of Dudley Gardens!  Where is that?

Just off Newhaven Road 

Living in Edinburgh you must have seen the transition and change, but looking at pictures of an area that I grew up in and worked in the change is nothing less than mind boggling. Beaumont Place was featured, I knew it well, but even the slight change by demolition and fifty one years made me hesitate, the today picture of the same street is just unbelievable. I have never since all my family are gone have had a big desire to return, but I think now I would be intimaidated by the fear of the changes I would see.

3 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

It's Dudley something - not sure what Street. That wall on the right will be able to tell us if it's still there

IMG_2606.JPG

It’s Dudley crescent.The wall is still there on google street view.

5 minutes ago, obua said:

It’s Dudley crescent.The wall is still there on google street view.

Cheers - Couldn't connect to the server for google street view when I tried to check it myself.

That phot is taken from Newhaven Road then ?

2 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Cheers - Couldn't connect to the server for google street view when I tried to check it myself.

That phot is taken from Newhaven Road then ?

Yes,I think the flats in the background have gone now.

2 minutes ago, obua said:

Yes,I think the flats in the background have gone now.

That's what through me when I first seen the phot

Edited by Maroon Sailor

1 hour ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I’ve posted pictures previously of Falcon House. It was a beautiful mansion, which the gates from, now hang outside Edinburgh Zoo. I’m sure part of the building was used in another building on Duncan street. 

1 hour ago, luckyBatistuta said:

F41A3541-8A9C-4204-9408-E9F9BC727664.jpeg

D0A8AA6C-EAA1-43AA-BBDA-8C654EC120FA.jpeg

2F624FB1-8ECA-42E8-B7EA-0AE82270E698.jpeg

D3686618-C4C1-4142-A8E1-3B587B16ACAA.jpeg

217D8D1C-1F69-408B-91BA-C4CB234525B7.jpeg

Thanks for posting all that, really interesting stuff :thumbsup: 

Hope Street Lane?  Think the P.O. became a bar called Hudson’s?

Posted that ages ago ??

Thanks.

You should be a taxi driver.  

Might try that sometime ?