Edinburgh History

Maroon Sailor

10 hours ago, Lido said:

Remember the spam rolls covered in dust when we scored at Hampden?

I do !

never risked it though myself,always looked a bit dodgy.

• Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 hours ago, Lido said:

Remember the spam rolls covered in dust when we scored at Hampden?

I remember the boys selling them on the fitba special trains, ham rolls, cheese rolls or ham and cheese rolls. Boys must have made a fortune back then.

18 hours ago, Morgan said:

The Iron Duke, in bronze, by Steel was in the gardens in St. Andrews Square.

17 Heriot Row was the home of the author of Treasure Island because, from his window, he could see a small pond in the gardens between Queen Street and Heriot Row.

This one confused because I thought he was raised in Inverleith (maybe that's where he was born). Where did the pond thing come from ? His old man designed/built lighthouses IIRC and he used to go travelling with him.  Years ago the Sunday Mail reckoned he got the inspiration for the Treasure Island characters from time spent in the Western Isles. 

17 hours ago, The Future's Maroon said:

Just read through to page 17, amazing thread with some stunning pics.

love this sort of thing.

My addition, Hutchison House and Moat House Have an interesting fact, they were both built back to front, was only when they got to building the first/second floor the mistake was noticed but they decided to continue anyway, that is why the main entrance of both flats are at the ‘back’ of Hutchison Road.

C3DCF717-CAC4-45A0-8719-822BDD21045B.jpeg

Built in 1958 by Millers unfortunately when I wanted to part Exchange a Moat House flat for a Millers new house they said no. 

25 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

This one confused because I thought he was raised in Inverleith (maybe that's where he was born).

He was born at Howard place, but the family moved to Inverleith Terrace a couple of months later.

They then moved again to Heriot Row 6 years later. 

42 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

This one confused because I thought he was raised in Inverleith (maybe that's where he was born). Where did the pond thing come from ? His old man designed/built lighthouses IIRC and he used to go travelling with him.  Years ago the Sunday Mail reckoned he got the inspiration for the Treasure Island characters from time spent in the Western Isles. 

Hi,

all I remember being told was that his upstairs room in a townhouse on Heriot Row overlooked the gardens, and there was a small pond there giving g him the inspiration for Treasure Island.

Bridge of Djoum
On 29/08/2018 at 17:52, Montgomery Brewster said:

My favourite beer

In the Navy, it's called 'Red Death''.

Edit... Beaten to that revelation by quite a few pages.

Edited by New York Fleapit

Bridge of Djoum
On 31/08/2018 at 01:48, Gashauskis9 said:

Yep, Friday nights in the late 80s and early 90s were often spent there.  Great memories.

Dave Trownson, Chris Turner, Neil Collins.. then his brother Les a bit later. Great days.

Bridge of Djoum
On 31/08/2018 at 04:26, Maroon Sailor said:

Most have us would have used this facility on Morrison Street

IMG_2493.JPG

Used it? ****** fell asleep in it once.

Maroon Sailor
3 minutes ago, New York Fleapit said:

Used it? ****** fell asleep in it once.

Always a pit stop coming down from the pubic triangle

Bridge of Djoum
2 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Always a pit stop coming down from the pubic triangle

Speak for yourself! I'd just left a fundraiser for the local church...

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

Hi,

all I remember being told was that his upstairs room in a townhouse on Heriot Row overlooked the gardens, and there was a small pond there giving g him the inspiration for Treasure Island.

?

2 hours ago, Morgan said:

Hi,

2 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

The small garden and pond across the road from his house in Heriot Row gave RLS the inspiration for Treasure Island.

His time in the Western Isles gave him the idea for Kidnapped.

Seeing a Hibs supporters bus gave him the idea for Travels with a Donkey (OK, I made this one up!) :biggrin:

2 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

The small garden and pond across the road from his house in Heriot Row gave RLS the inspiration for Treasure Island.

Seeing a Hibs supporters bus gave him the idea for Travels with a Donkey (OK, I made this one up!) :biggrin:

:sweeet:

Love the donkey one Ron!  

11 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

I know how he felt with this one.

OK, one more historic Edinburgh quiz.  This is the last one.

1.  Which is higher, the Scott Monument or the clock tower of the Balmoral hotel?

2. Apart from me ( :tongue: ) which two world-famous Scots attended the Royal High School on Calton Hill?

3. Where is the oldest building regularly used for worship in Edinburgh?

4. Who was the Jock Thompson mentioned in the saying "We're a' Jock Thampson's bairns"?

5. In an Edinburgh museum you'll find "The Maiden".  What was it used for?

6. What is the correct name for the so-called "Disgrace of Edinburgh"?

7. Where was The Wells o' Wearie?

8. Where can you find a very tall monument to the Torpuddle Martyrs?

9. What real-life character was the inspiration for Stevenson's "Dr. Jekyll and Mr.Hyde"?

10. Which modern day Hearts player has scored three Scottish Cup Final goals?

7 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

1.  Which is higher, the Scott Monument or the clock tower of the Balmoral hotel?

2. Apart from me ( :tongue: ) which two world-famous Scots attended the Royal High School on Calton Hill?

4. Who was the Jock Thompson mentioned in the saying "We're a' Jock Thampson's bairns"?

The Edinburgh monument on calton hill. I think that's it's proper name.

9. What real-life character was the inspiration for Stevenson's "Dr. Jekyll and Mr.Hyde"?

Deacon Brodie.

The man my cat was named after, sir Rudolph Skacel.

Only managed to answer 3.

23 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Is Duddingston Kirk the oldest regularly used church?

Excellent!  Yes.

I would have guessed at St. Margaret's Chapel, which is why I stressed regularly.

Doctor FinnBarr
9 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Excellent!  Yes.

I would have guessed at St. Margaret's Chapel, which is why I stressed regularly.

Is St Margarets just for ceremonial junk?

10 minutes ago, bikerjambo said:

Is St Margarets just for ceremonial junk?

I'm not sure.  It might be available for sodjer's weddings, and it is occasionally used for ceremonies, but not regularly.

1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

Wells of Wearie, Holyrood Park below Samsons Ribs, abutting the wall of Prestonfield Golf Course, where the shepherd for the sheep taht used to be in the Park lived.

Doctor FinnBarr
8 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

I'm not sure.  It might be available for sodjer's weddings, and it is occasionally used for ceremonies, but not regularly.

Damn, I fancied going to church there this Sunday*

*Thats a lie, I'm going to lie in my own pish

1 hour ago, bobsharp said:

Wells of Wearie, Holyrood Park below Samsons Ribs, abutting the wall of Prestonfield Golf Course, where the shepherd for the sheep taht used to be in the Park lived.

Correct!  :thumb:

1 hour ago, bikerjambo said:

Damn, I fancied going to church there this Sunday*

*Thats a lie, I'm going to lie in my own pish

You're choosing the better option, imo.  :biggrin:

There's a Scottish Martyrs monument in Old Calton Buirial Ground, a big obelisk thing, dedicated to 5 Scottish Martyrs. The Torpuddle Martyrs though were English. I don't have a clue where their monument is.

4 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

There's a Scottish Martyrs monument in Old Calton Buirial Ground, a big obelisk thing, dedicated to 5 Scottish Martyrs. The Torpuddle Martyrs though were English. I don't have a clue where their monument is.

You nailed it.  The monument you're referring to was to the Torpuddle Martyrs.  Nice one. 

been here before
7 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

2 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

You nailed it.  The monument you're referring to was to the Torpuddle Martyrs.  Nice one. 

Its the Tolpuddle martyrs.

14 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

?

7 hours ago, been here before said:

Its the Tolpuddle martyrs.

6 hours ago, SUTOL said:

It is, of course, the Tolpuddle Martyrs.

Almost all the questions I've posed on this thread are from what I was told or taught.  But the memories are from several decades ago, so it's entirely possible that my memory has failed me.

:wheelchair:

Carl Fredrickson
2 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

It is, of course, the Tolpuddle Martyrs.

Almost all the questions I've posed on this thread are from what I was told or taught.  But the memories are from several decades ago, so it's entirely possible that my memory has failed me.

:wheelchair:

Does that mean that my answer for number 6 IS correct?

21 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

1.  Which is higher, the Scott Monument or the clock tower of the Balmoral hotel? The Scott monument, 200 feet to 190 feet.

2. Apart from me ( :tongue: ) which two world-famous Scots attended the Royal High School on Calton Hill? Walter Scott and Alexander Graham Bell

3. Where is the oldest building regularly used for worship in Edinburgh? Duddingston Kirk

4. Who was the Jock Thompson mentioned in the saying "We're a' Jock Thampson's bairns"? The minister at Duddingston,who referred to his congregants as his bairns.

5. In an Edinburgh museum you'll find "The Maiden".  What was it used for?  It is a guillotine, used to decapitate people.

6. What is the correct name for the so-called "Disgrace of Edinburgh"? The National Monument

7. Where was The Wells o' Wearie? Holyrood Park, near Samson's Ribs.

8. Where can you find a very tall monument to the Tolpuddle Martyrs? Calton Burial ground,maybe.  (See earlier discussion on this thread).

9. What real-life character was the inspiration for Stevenson's "Dr. Jekyll and Mr.Hyde"? Deacon Brodie.

10. Which modern day Hearts player has scored three Scottish Cup Final goals? If you didn't get this, you're fired!

No more quizzes from me.