Edinburgh History

Maroon Sailor

5 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_2485.JPG

Oh God, the memories. used to play keepie uppie on the roundabout where the bus stop is/was.  My gran used to live to the right of picture (now demolished) and she was moved into a place right across the street to the houses behind the shelter. In the 60s I would see Willie Bauld walking here - did he live somewhere in Niddrie.  He walked from Niddrie under the railway towards the No4 bus stop. Never  looked like a Hearts legend, always was alone. 

Loving this thread. 

• Replies 19k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Radio Ga Ga

• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, SE16 3LN said:

Used to live in Logie Green in the 60's and then Broughton Road in the 70's. Always crowds at the dogs. When I worked for the pipe coaters most people's wages went to the bookies on a Thursday night. Seems like yesterday to me. 

I had a class mate who lived in Logie Green Loan in the 60s /70s and I'd regularly see Peter Cormack , Arthur Duncan in the area. :sick:John Hagart was his neighbour on one side and three doors down was Peter Marinello. 

24 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Oh God, the memories. used to play keepie uppie on the roundabout where the bus stop is/was.  My gran used to live to the right of picture (now demolished) and she was moved into a place right across the street to the houses behind the shelter. In the 60s I would see Willie Bauld walking here - did he live somewhere in Niddrie.  He walked from Niddrie under the railway towards the No4 bus stop. Never  looked like a Hearts legend, always was alone. 

Loving this thread. 

Willie Bauld used to visit his parents who had a house above the shops. His brother Rab also lived in Bingham, he worked in the pit at Newcraighall.

1 hour ago, bobsharp said:

Willie Bauld used to visit his parents who had a house above the shops. His brother Rab also lived in Bingham, he worked in the pit at Newcraighall.

? cheers

1 hour ago, NANOJAMBO said:

I had a class mate who lived in Logie Green Loan in the 60s /70s and I'd regularly see Peter Cormack , Arthur Duncan in the area. :sick:John Hagart was his neighbour on one side and three doors down was Peter Marinello. 

I remember when the press were all over the place, Marinello, the Scottish George Best, was away to Arsenal. He drank like George Best when I met him.

1 minute ago, SE16 3LN said:

I remember when the press were all over the place, Marinello, the Scottish George Best, was away to Arsenal. He drank like George Best when I met him.

?

His old man ran a boozer on the corner of Eyre Pl , where we lived at time time so no great surprise. My dad knew Peter senior quite well.  I got a big bundle of autographed pics from him at the time of his Arsenal move.  Chucked them in the bin. 

1 minute ago, NANOJAMBO said:

?

His old man ran a boozer on the corner of Eyre Pl , where we lived at time time so no great surprise. My dad knew Peter senior quite well.  I got a big bundle of autographed pics from him at the time of his Arsenal move.  Chucked them in the bin. 

:laugh2:

Doctor FinnBarr
5 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_1698.JPG

IMG_1699.JPG

Thats the sort of pics I like mate, old and new to let us non-Edinburgers understand things

7 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

The days when a club legend had to help carry injured players off the pitch

IMG_2501.JPG

Is that Kenny Aird being carried off?

16 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_2501.JPG

Thats the kind of view I remember of Tynecastle, the wee wall big Polis looking down at the kids. On a bad day with a big crowd pulling some misbehaving gentleman, oot by the hair if need be, oh boy happy days.

Doctor FinnBarr
4 minutes ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

Aye! 

By the late great John Cummings, no idea who the helper is though

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, bikerjambo said:

By the late great John Cumming, no idea who the helper is though

Andy Stevenson

Edited by Maroon Sailor

Doctor FinnBarr
18 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Is that Kenny Aird being carried off?

Nowt to do with Kenny Aird but the "seller" hanging over the wall, wagon wheel wee man? Or the crapest orange you've ever tasted

Maroon Sailor
5 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

Thats the kind of view I remember of Tynecastle, the wee wall big Polis looking down at the kids. On a bad day with a big crowd pulling some misbehaving gentleman, oot by the hair if need be, oh boy happy days.

I remember sitting on that wall for this match. Hearts v Arsenal 1975

This lad beside me was cheering on Arsenal. I asked him if he was from London and he replied Naw I support Hibs

IMG_2509.JPG.f32d14791ed1c56f0d1d18f11f1af05f.JPG

Doctor FinnBarr
1 minute ago, Maroon Sailor said:

This lad beside me was cheering on Arsenal. I asked him if he was from London and he replied Naw I support Hibs

0-0 and Alan Ball played for Arsenal

Maroon Sailor
Just now, bikerjambo said:

0-0 and Alan Ball played for Arsenal

Hearts 0-2 Arsenal

Maroon Sailor
Just now, bikerjambo said:

Oops, my heids befuddled mate

So was David O'Leary's in that pic by the looks of it !

Alex Cropley played for Arsenal that night. That Hibs guy next to me was creaming himself

Maroon Sailor

Any idea what this song was for ?

IMG_2502.JPG

Edited by Maroon Sailor

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, obua said:

Was it scotland 1974 easy easy ? 

Wouldn't have thought so.

14 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_20180831_094727.jpg

Took a very similar picture to this one, couldn't get a good shot from the roof of Grampian House so I climbed on top of the cage at roof level - carefully crawled to the edge and was about to take my picture when a huge gust of wind hit the block, this travelled upwards and lifted me at least 4 foot into the air - needless to say had to go back and change my trousers after that close call.

4 minutes ago, ginga said:

Took a very similar picture to this one, couldn't get a good shot from the roof of Grampian House so I climbed on top of the cage at roof level - carefully crawled to the edge and was about to take my picture when a huge gust of wind hit the block, this travelled upwards and lifted me at least 4 foot into the air - needless to say had to go back and change my trousers after that close call.

I lived there from when they were built until early seventies.

32 minutes ago, Ally Bee said:

Possibly 1976 cup final?

Carruthers was sold in 1975 so probably not.  Hearts centenary year celebrations ? 

2 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I was at the game. The chat was Jim Brown joining the Gooners ( no one thought it was likely). Bit of a shame as his career collapsed after Pelosi crippled him not long after.  IMO an unsung Hearts legend. 

Hope you shoved a wagon wheel in his coupon ( they were massive back in the day) 

can see my old English classroom windows in the background too 

7 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

The true gentleman Donald Ford. My all time hero along with Jim Cruikshank.

SectionDJambo
8 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Any idea what this song was for ?

IMG_2502.JPG

Centenary year vinyl single recording. One side is “marching through Gorgie”. Can’t remember the other side. 

I have a copy buried in my loft.

SectionDJambo
1 minute ago, SectionDJambo said:

Centenary year vinyl single recording. One side is “marching through Gorgie”. Can’t remember the other side. 

I now have the other song in my head. Don’t remember the title, but lyrics are along the lines of “we will raise our voices for the team we love, for the players, old and new, our standards they are high, we are reaching for the sky, to the Hearts we will ever be true.”

10 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_2501.JPG

Any idea what year this is?  One of the guys in the crowd looks suspiciously like my old man. 

Maroon Sailor
16 minutes ago, Toggie88 said:

Any idea what year this is?  One of the guys in the crowd looks suspiciously like my old man. 

1975 v St Johnstone

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, SectionDJambo said:

Thanks for that, never knew they made a song for the centenary.

Initially I thought it must have been the 76 cup final but not all the players in the phot were at the club then.

1 hour ago, SectionDJambo said:

1975 v St Johnstone

Cheers - waiting to hear back if it’s him or not. Little brother is similarly convinced it is.

All roads lead to Gorgie
7 minutes ago, Tazio said:

When I was a kid I thought this was Saughton Prison. 

It was the smell of the mould growing on it I remember most, especially when you walked down the path leading to the the Wheatfield streets.