• luckyBatistuta

• ¼½¾

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

been here before
20 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Good phot

Can't remember JM being there

Was there for years. Poky wee shop inside.

12 hours ago, bobsharp said:

I never was brave enough to ask but it was a sort of water based fruit drink  that they hit with compressed air, it was the closest I could guess Kool Aid type drink. 

Fanta was 'invented' in nazi Germany, when they couldn't get the ingredients for Coca Cola.  I've heard of Vantas before, and wondered if the name came from that German drink? (In an 'Allo 'Allo accent way).

Montgomery Brewster
8 hours ago, Tazio said:

The red death

Indeed. Until you’ve experienced the red death you’ve no lived 

All roads lead to Gorgie
23 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_1648.JPG

I remember these and they were almost saved with a plan to use them for student flats but that fell through. Also you could see them across the Forth from Fife especially on board a train between Kinghorn and Burntisland. 

Maroon Sailor
4 hours ago, been here before said:

Was there for years. Poky wee shop inside.

I remember the shop just forgot it was a John Menzies. Coming back to me now though which is one of the good points of a thread like this !

All roads lead to Gorgie
40 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_2461.thumb.JPG.412a6b987265956f4867122a3fb2c6d1.JPG

I remember using the Bristo Sq car park on the right when visiting the old Royal and doing night classes at the Uni. 

wentworth jambo
On 29/08/2018 at 10:29, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_1648.JPG

My bedroom window from birth to 15 years old in that photo....all gone now except "the wee hooses" between "the flats" and "the Fort"

16 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Niddrie / Craigmillar 

Certain I seen that launderette a couple of times when we came through to Edinburgh and traveled from Cameron Toll to the Fort.

Maroon Sailor
8 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Certain I seen that launderette a couple of times when we came through to Edinburgh and traveled from Cameron Toll to the Fort.

You would have done

Wauchope Avenue / Wauchope Crescent just down from Niddrie Mains Road

IMG_1676.JPG

Edited by Maroon Sailor

6 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

You would have done

IMG_1676.JPG

A hop and a jump to the County Cinema, the police box, and round the corner in Niddrie Mains Drive the previously posted Charlie Combes shop.

6 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

You would have done

IMG_1676.JPG

When I was a kid I used to live in Craigmiller Castle Road, last block on the left hand side (long demolished now) going up towards the castle, this was in the 60's, across the road used to be football pitches on the right and I think greenhouses on the left or something growing/gardens something like that, the road was like a dual carriageway except it was only one lane (?) with a grass verge running down the middle.

And before I moved there I lived at Bingham Circle, althought I was only a toddler so I can't remember living there, it's probably long gone now.

Remember playing in Craigmiller Castle, long before Historic Scotland took it over, used to be an old caretaker in charge of it, but there was open fields so it was easy to get into the castle and if you continued over the hill it took you to Little France (had an uncle & aunt who lived there).

But whilst the whole area has changed completely there is still one shop there which I can remember being there in the 60's (or at least I'm sure it was there) and that is A. Cunningham the clothes shop, I'm certain that was there in around 1966/67, or am I having a false memory? (Bob Sharp help me here)

Of course anybody who might have photos of the old Craigmiller Castle Road before it was demolished would be a fantastic help, all I have is outside the block of flats, my sister whom is several years older than me thinks it could have been number 29 which we stayed in, but isn't sure, it is 50 years ago afterall.

21 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Jesus Christ!  That is in Edinburgh?  :wow: 

Indeed, used to drive past it on occasions, used to live around this area when I was a kid.

All roads lead to Gorgie
1 minute ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Powderhall?

That's right. Me and my Dad used to go to the speedway there on a Friday night. 

A sad day when it closed. Just flats there now like many other former sporting sites across the city.

On 24/08/2018 at 07:57, dannymack said:

No automatic alt text available.

The famouse Captains Cabin on Gracemount Drive. A Hearts supporters bus ran from there, 1986 to 1995. A lot has changed over there now, no pun, no high flats, no CCBC playing fields.

That block of flats in the background is on Lasswade Road.  When I decided to emigrate to Canada I had been living in two crummy rooms in someone else's house in Longstone.  A week before I was due to fly out, I got a notice from the Corporation to pick up the keys to a flat in that building, which was brand new and close to my parents' place in Gilmerton.  I seriously considered cancelling my plans to emigrate, but by that time I had quit my job and sold my meagre belongings, so it was too late.  If I had received that letter a month earlier, my life would have been completely different.

10 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

That block of flats in the background is on Lasswade Road.  When I decided to emigrate to Canada I had been living in two crummy rooms in someone else's house in Longstone.  A week before I was due to fly out, I got a notice from the Corporation to pick up the keys to a flat in that building, which was brand new and close to my parents' place in Gilmerton.  I seriously considered cancelling my plans to emigrate, but by that time I had quit my job and sold my meagre belongings, so it was too late.  If I had received that letter a month earlier, my life would have been completely different.

You made a wise decision. 

I was brought up in Gracemount Drive. The Cabin was on occasion a place I had a few drinks. It was some place! 

The multistorty flat would be Garvalb Court. I watched it being built from my window and was glad when it was demolished along with the other two.

1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

When I was a kid I used to live in Craigmiller Castle Road, last block on the left hand side (long demolished now) going up towards the castle, this was in the 60's, across the road used to be football pitches on the right and I think greenhouses on the left or something growing/gardens something like that, the road was like a dual carriageway except it was only one lane (?) with a grass verge running down the middle.

And before I moved there I lived at Bingham Circle, althought I was only a toddler so I can't remember living there, it's probably long gone now.

Remember playing in Craigmiller Castle, long before Historic Scotland took it over, used to be an old caretaker in charge of it, but there was open fields so it was easy to get into the castle and if you continued over the hill it took you to Little France (had an uncle & aunt who lived there).

But whilst the whole area has changed completely there is still one shop there which I can remember being there in the 60's (or at least I'm sure it was there) and that is A. Cunningham the clothes shop, I'm certain that was there in around 1966/67, or am I having a false memory? (Bob Sharp help me here)

Of course anybody who might have photos of the old Craigmiller Castle Road before it was demolished would be a fantastic help, all I have is outside the block of flats, my sister whom is several years older than me thinks it could have been number 29 which we stayed in, but isn't sure, it is 50 years ago afterall.

The dates are pretty well when I left, I take it you are referring to the stores on Niddrie Mains Road, there were quite a few, don't remember the names, but just about all needs were covered. The police station sat back off the road, sort of half way between the Road and the I think it was the Loan.

1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Your sister was right, 29 was the last on the left. 

2018-08-30.jpg

That map's from 1965.

Edited by Lemongrab
editing

Maroon Sailor

IMG_1677.JPG

Construction of Peffermill House and Craigmillar House

Edited by Maroon Sailor

13 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_2461.thumb.JPG.412a6b987265956f4867122a3fb2c6d1.JPG

That photo & the cars look ancient which is fine but I was at uni when they started building the mosque so I must be ancient too.

8 hours ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

A sad day when it closed. Just flats there now like many other former sporting sites across the city.

Yep, Friday nights in the late 80s and early 90s were often spent there.  Great memories.

8 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

7 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

2018-08-30.jpg

That map's from 1965.

Nearly got it. That looks like No 25 at the centre of the right edge.

CCG.png

9 hours ago, bobsharp said:

The dates are pretty well when I left, I take it you are referring to the stores on Niddrie Mains Road, there were quite a few, don't remember the names, but just about all needs were covered. The police station sat back off the road, sort of half way between the Road and the I think it was the Loan.

The police station was still there and in use into the 80's and 90's, it is gone now.

9 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

2018-08-30.jpg

That map's from 1965.

She'll be chuffed that her memory isn't as bad as she thought it was.  ?

Maroon Sailor
7 hours ago, bobsharp said:

My god somebody stole my police box. damn people nothings safe, they would steal the sugar from your tea.

There is one outside Craigmillar police station on Duddingston Road West

IMG_1686.JPG

10 hours ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Used to live in Logie Green in the 60's and then Broughton Road in the 70's. Always crowds at the dogs. When I worked for the pipe coaters most people's wages went to the bookies on a Thursday night. Seems like yesterday to me. 

On ‎29‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 21:12, Dino Velvet said:

Anybody got any pictures from inside the old tartan club on Dundee st. I used to play 5's there and on the odd occasion the hearts team would be after us training. Used to go up into the gantry and watch them train.  

We played fives at the Tartan Club the hour after Hearts.

I could never understand why they played with a very heavy ball instead of the standard fives ball.

3 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Most have us would have used this facility on Morrison Street

IMG_2493.JPG

frequenting a public toilet?

4 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_1690.JPG

I see where I erred now that is quite different to what I knew,I should have remembered I don't think Viewforth was still a steep hill at Horne Terrace.

5 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

There is one outside Craigmillar police station on Duddingston Road West

IMG_1686.JPG

That was the old Box 29. There was a Bowling green behind it. it was the section box where the sergeant worked from.